Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince discussion


501 views
If You Could, Would You Make A Horcrux?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 153) (153 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

Gabriel You would be surprised how many people on the Mugglenet forums answered yes. But those people also tended to say that they think using the Unforgivable Curses would be "fun".


Rodney Likaku I would so do it perhaps only for the fact that I can, not because I would actually want to.


Gabriel Rodney wrote: "I would so do it perhaps only for the fact that I can, not because I would actually want to."

It's like insurance - you don't want to use it, but it is nice to know that it is there.


Casey I would never do it. First off, I like my soul just where it is inside of me. I do not want to be immortal. That thought scares me to be honest.
Second off, I could never kill someone. Never.


message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Casey wrote: "I would never do it. First off, I like my soul just where it is inside of me. I do not want to be immortal. That thought scares me to be honest.
Second off, I could never kill someone. Never."


I agree. Once I'm dead, I'm dead, I don't want to be a weak old person, no thank you.
I wouldn't kill somebody for that reason.


Nichole W. I wouldn't be able to kill someone for that reason...


Huda I would never dream of it. I'd probably be the person destroying horcruxes lol I'm that against the idea.


Emily No because I'd probably kill the person make one than e so disgusted that I killed someone I'd kill it and myself anyway.


Eleanor no, because it would mean having to kill someone which I coud never do


Kayla I don't think splitting my soul sounds very pleasant. Also, I don't really want to kill anyone...


Amanda I like the idea of it but seeing the way dear Voldemort turned out I'd have to say no. I think even a good person who made a Horcrux wouldn't really be the same once they'd used it. As they say in the books, it's only a piece of your soul so you'd only have a half-life. Plus the fact that you need to kill someone to do it.


http://divaliciouzbookreviews.blogspo...


Badgerlord What about if you'd already killed someone upon finging out about horocruxes. You need not be a bad person. You could have been putting someone out of their misery on their wish. If that was the case, I'd probably do it and then spend the rest of my life creating a better magic by throwing myself directly at the riskiest parts to make them safer.

Good guy - Tick
Immortal - Tick


Gabriel Badgerlord wrote: "What about if you'd already killed someone upon finging out about horocruxes. You need not be a bad person. You could have been putting someone out of their misery on their wish. If that was the ca..."

That's noble, but the idea of immortality can be corrupting.

Do people with Horcruxes even age? It's hard to tell with Voldemort.


message 14: by Ruby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruby I'd love to say that I wouldn't...But...Somehow...
I dunno, it's such an intriguing yet frightening prospect.
*shiver*


message 15: by Habz (last edited Mar 03, 2012 06:16PM) (new) - added it

Habz Never!
And the people who said yes, on any website have serious problems. They have just admitted that they would kill someone, like seriously, murder a human being, so that a part of their soul would be separated from their bodies, like seriously!?
These people need to be looked into, It's not like you can kill an animal or something and become immortal...and would people actually say yes to horcruxes when they know they could use the Philosopher's stone method?!

These people have not learnt any lessons from any of the HP books. Did they somehow not get the memo about death being inescapable, as Rowling is obviously trying to put across in her books?

Seriously, J K Rowling was not happy with the fact that fans of HP looked upto Draco Malfoy and idolized him, she said he was suppose to be potrayed as a bully in the first few books and yeah even i felt sorry for him in the sixth book. But imagine how the author would react upon knowing that fans of HP were actually saying they would commit murder concerning a topic that she created!

Also remember that a horcrux will leave a person worse then the meanest ghost, feeling less like a human being and more like a monmster, just look at Voldermort,look at how he led his life.

The whole prospect of it has left me feeling disgusted and also somewhat sad, knowing about these (Rest Assured, i am not referring to any one on GR)so called fans:(


message 16: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat No. I'd like to keep all of my bits and pieces in one place, thank you. I don't fancy having my soul being poked and prodded by others. Oh, and the killing and murdering thing doesn't do well with me.


JazzyCat Never. Like Horace said "Murder rips the soul. It's a violation against nature."


JazzyCat Kat wrote: "No. I'd like to keep all of my bits and pieces in one place, thank you. I don't fancy having my soul being poked and prodded by others. Oh, and the killing and murdering thing doesn't do well with me."

LOL


JazzyCat Gabriel wrote: "You would be surprised how many people on the Mugglenet forums answered yes. But those people also tended to say that they think using the Unforgivable Curses would be "fun"."

And that's really messed up.


message 20: by Ruby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruby ti amo wrote: "Gabriel wrote: "You would be surprised how many people on the Mugglenet forums answered yes. But those people also tended to say that they think using the Unforgivable Curses would be "fun"."

And ..."


Yes, it is...Yes it is.


Gabriel Habz wrote: "Never!
And the people who said yes, on any website have serious problems. They have just admitted that they would kill someone, like seriously, murder a human being, so that a part of their soul wo..."


Bravo! Gold Star Habz.


georgia Hell no. The idea of my soul being ripped in two - or, God forbid, seven- just scares the hell outta me.


message 23: by Ruby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruby Same...


message 24: by Habz (new) - added it

Habz Gabriel wrote: "Habz wrote: "Never!
And the people who said yes, on any website have serious problems. They have just admitted that they would kill someone, like seriously, murder a human being, so that a part of ..."


Woops!...Sorry, i did rant on a bit didn't i:)
Guess I was really shocked by what i found when i googled this yesterday!


Baisakhi If I could make a Horcrux, that means I'm 'magical'. Why waste time in tearing bits of my soul when I can have fun ;)


message 26: by Jack (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jack Baisakhi wrote: "If I could make a Horcrux, that means I'm 'magical'. Why waste time in tearing bits of my soul when I can have fun ;)"

Oh yeah, pretty much this. Think about it, with magic, you wouldn't need to be immortal to make a difference.


message 27: by CASI (new) - rated it 5 stars

CASI Black A two letter word; starts with a letter "N", followed by a letter "O" and ends with an exclamation mark (!). ü


message 28: by Nick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nick Merlini The question said that if you could: that just means that you can if you want to without killing someone so yeah maybe


message 29: by Faith (last edited Mar 06, 2012 12:20AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Faith I highly doubt that the people who voted yes really mean it. I mean they're just probably a bunch who are trying to look cool like the idiots at yahoo answers , if you ask a question about your suicidal friend they say he should kill himself and you should cheer. When they come across with any form of death or tragedy they would freak out like everybody else.

Personally I wouldn't want to be immortal no matter what, it sounds like a horrible punishment to me , to never stop existing. But I guess the instinct to live is pretty strong also , a human being (a non pyscho one) wouldn't actually plan a horcrux in my opinion , but if their life is at stake and they panic they might try to save their own lives by murdering someone else , though this act would haunt them.(If they are mentally healthy of course.)And think about it , immortality is forever , it's not for one thousand years or two. You would regret it literally forever.


Gabriel I think that if you existed for forever, you would eventually go mad. Plus, think about it, say an asteroid hit the earth, all life would be extinguished except yours. You would either be stuck on a scorched, dead planet for all eternity, or the force of the hit would break the earth's gravitational pull, sending out flying off into space until you either hit the sun, another planet, or a black hole.


message 31: by Fatma (new) - added it

Fatma i would never d so because that doesnt consider as a life
what is better in life than getting old with the one you love
and i think alot of people wont accept that because they may want Eternity but there is always an end


Huda Fatma wrote: "i would never d so because that doesnt consider as a life
what is better in life than getting old with the one you love
and i think alot of people wont accept that because they may want Eternity ..."


That's a good point. But I think my main reason is that I don't believe that killing others for the sake of your own immortality is worth it. I mean, it's one this to get the immortality, but killing all those people for it, could you live with yourself for eternity with all the murders you committed? I know I couldn't.


Rachel Even apart from the moral implications of murder, Horcruxes just sound like a Bad Idea. You live a horrible half life, constantly obsessing over this one object that holds you here, and everyone you know dies without you. Besides, I seriously doubt immortality is all its cracked up to be; apart from the fact that the human brain can only store so many memories before it goes mad, life only has meaning because it's finite.


Marie Hello?? how can somebody actually think about doing it. I mean you would have to kill/murder somebody just so you might have insurance to live longer and even then it wouldn't be the same because your soul is split!!
That is inhuman!!


Ciara *I love Harry Potter!* No. I don't think I would be able to kill any-one in order to make a Horcrux.


Alyssha No. I wouldnt , thats wicked and devilish, killing other people so you can stay alive, doing what? after a couple hundred years , your going to get bored . thats why it sucks so bad(sometimes) when your a vampire. and plus thats nasty. splitting your soul into pieces? thats insanity and greedieness and gross.


Alyssha Badgerlord wrote: "What about if you'd already killed someone upon finging out about horocruxes. You need not be a bad person. You could have been putting someone out of their misery on their wish. If that was the ca..."

hahaha i had to laugh when i saw this. and it kind of makes sense


message 38: by Harman (last edited Mar 09, 2012 01:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Harman Gabriel wrote: "Badgerlord wrote: "What about if you'd already killed someone upon finging out about horocruxes. You need not be a bad person. You could have been putting someone out of their misery on their wish...."

I hear it has side effects like losing appendages, especially noses. See the fine print for details.

But to answer the question: the only circumstance in which I could bring myself to kill someone would be in defense of loved ones, but if that were happening, I doubt I'd be too focused on horcruxes.


Turtles All the Way Down No. I don't think I could ever do what's required to make one. It's too much for me.


Meagan Maybe. I really am not sure if I could but it would be nice to be able to do.


Claire GeOrG!a :) wrote: "Hell no. The idea of my soul being ripped in two - or, God forbid, seven- just scares the hell outta me."

Exactly..


Isabel Never. I think it's a stupid way of achieving inmortality... Anyway, I don't want to live forever, I'm sure I'd get bored of it.


Isabel Meagan wrote: "Maybe. I really am not sure if I could but it would be nice to be able to do."

Really? It would be nice killing another person and ripping your soul in two just to live an endless life either being mad or feeling remorse?


Isabel Nick wrote: "The question said that if you could: that just means that you can if you want to without killing someone so yeah maybe"

You have to kill someone to make a horcrux.


Brittany no.. i would have to kill someone to make a horcrux and i wouldnt do that.


Meagan Who says I would end up being mad, or feel remorse? If it came down to endless life, for something that seems important to me, sure. I know plenty of people I could destroy for it, and it would be doing the world a favor.
Selfish maybe, but honestly, who cares? and my soul being ripped in two, I have experience worse pain and anguish in my life than that.


Isabel wrote: "Meagan wrote: "Maybe. I really am not sure if I could but it would be nice to be able to do."

Really? It would be nice killing another person and ripping your soul in two just to live an endless l..."



Isabel Meagan wrote: "Who says I would end up being mad, or feel remorse? If it came down to endless life, for something that seems important to me, sure. I know plenty of people I could destroy for it, and it would be ..."

I don't think you really understand what it would be like... You have to be dangerous and mad (just as Voldemort)to not feel remorse doing that. I know there are people who really deserve it, but doing that would make you worse than them!


Meagan Your point being? The description of good and bad is based off of how each of us were brought up. Your definition is different than mine and different from the next person.
There are ways out of it if I were to get bored (living forever), and even mad people can be good people. You just gotta know their head.
I don't think anyone would know what its like, because no one has done it, the author did not write from Voldemort's point of view, just the "good" side. So no one really understands his motivation or if he was even mad, it is all up to the reader to interpret.


Josefine Amalie Petersen No, why should I?


Aiyana, A PotterWhoLockian NO. why would you kill somebody just to be immortal? if you were immortal, you would have to watch your friends and family die around you and you would probably get bored after a while.


« previous 1 3 4
back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (other topics)