The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo discussion

Read it or see the movie? Both? Neither?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 304) (304 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I still have not read this book, but have heard mixed reviews about it. I was warned there is a lot of violence against women.

Now there is a movie out, which I also haven't seen. Would you recommended I just see the movie? Will I be missing anything if I do not read the book? Or do you think the book is important to be read and the movie wasn't so great?

Or... do you think the book and movie are overrated there's just no point to even bother? Thanks!

Brielle neither. I haven't seen the movie but judging by the book...it won't be a good one. There isn't anything else to say but that the book was boring. Just plain boring. By the time I was halfway through, nothing had happened. I do not recommend it but hey, that's just my opinion!!

message 3: by Pam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam Williams I'm one of those freaks that LOVED the books and the Swedish versions of the movie and I even enjoyed the American version (although I felt it was inferior to the Swedish versions.) I would strongly recommend reading the book before you see the movie because there is so much left out of the films. There is one scene in the book (and the movie) that is an extremely graphic sexual assault that is hard to take but central to the development of Lisbeth Salander's character and her actions.

The book is difficult to get into and the first 150 pages are hard to get through, so I can understand that a lot of people put it down without finishing it. But for me it was a great and exhilarating read and I hated for the third book to end.

Annemarie Donahue Loved the book, very fast and engaging read.
Loved the Swedish film and the subsequent follow up.
Loved the Fincher American film.
See them all.

Colin Edgar I have just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattooand found it an enjoyable read but not a great read. I felt the plot dragged on quite a lot and had the killer "outed" before we were told. I have just bought the Swedish version on Blu-ray and plan to watch it this evening. I am currently nearly finished The Girl Who Played With Fire and finding this novel a bit of a slog. So far both have been reasonably enjoyable but not worth the hype.

Sharon I haven't seen the movie yet but I do plan to. The book was...meh. It got better after the first couple of hundred pages. Honestly I'm still surprised at myself for finishing it and the other two. They were all really slow.

Lottie Persevere and it will be worth it! The first half of TGWTDT is a bit slow but after that it is fast paced and jammed with action. Personally I found the violence, whilst incredibly uncomfortable, was written in a clever way that encouraged me to keep reading. The violence is also not gratuitous and genuinely adds to the narrative.

In regards to the films I have seen both the Swedish and American versions and prefer the books. There is much you miss about Lisbeth's character in the films that I felt significantly shaped my attitude towards her in the novels.

All in all the best thing about the books is that I typically would shy away from the crime genre but they made me read (and enjoy) something different!

Kirby Sharon wrote: "It got better after the first couple of hundred pages. "

this cracked me up! :)
us readers, huh? how many people do you know who would be aghast at the idea of giving a book a couple-hundred-page shot? I know lots...

Reading Faerie I don't know how the movie is, but I didn't care for the book. Maybe someday I'll give it another chance, but as of now I didn't get the hype.

Megan Quinn I found the first hundred or so pages to be very dull and boring but it really picked up after and I got into it.

Colby I wouldn't call it a fast read, but it IS a good book. Don't expect anything you can read in a few days, but it's really good.

Olivia Read the book and loved it(after I got through the first 30 pages) but have not seen the movie

Bonnie I loved the book and the Swedish version of the movie. I have not seen the American version yet.

Cheryl Read it and the other two but wasn't that impressed. Saw the Swedish movie which wasn't that great. Probably will see the American version because my guy watches so many movies!

Mbenza Both but the movie to watch is the original version in Swedish. I loved the three books,

message 16: by C.C. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.C. The books are great. The Swedish movies are really good. The American movie was pretty good. I have read all 3 books now and I wish there were more.

Andrew Duff Enjoyed all three books. Although the first part of Dragon Tattoo is slow paced, I found it intriguing. Haven't seen any of the movies but as others have said there's one very nasty scene which I gather is reproduced faithfully onscreen.

Deborah Rachel wrote: "I still have not read this book, but have heard mixed reviews about it. I was warned there is a lot of violence against women.

Now there is a movie out, which I also haven't seen. Would you reco..."

Read the first two books and liked both of them. Focused more on the mystery aspect of the stories. The movies sucked. Seen the first two and have no interest in seeing the third but want to read the third book. As far as the violence in the story.... it isn't any aorse than what you hear and see on the nightly news at six.

message 19: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee i think part of the hype to do with the book was that it is so different to the standard mystery/thriller fare in the US (James Patterson etc)...it shows the darker side where things aren't all tied up in a neat little bundle with an ah-ha kind of moment

Cheryl Dee wrote: "i think part of the hype to do with the book was that it is so different to the standard mystery/thriller fare in the US (James Patterson etc)...it shows the darker side where things aren't all tie..."

A friend loved the first because she thought the heroine was so interesting. She wanted to know why she was that way, what made her that way.

Guess she didn't appeal to me because her character's background is so much like real life.

Nicole You should definitely see the movie and read the book. However, I recommend you read the book first. It's a hard read to get into, but once you get past the first couple chapters it flies by. Reading the book will give you a better understanding of what's happening in the movie.

Also, I suggest you watch the swedish movie before watching the american version. In my opinion, the swedish movie was a better interpretation.

Vinyessa Refuse to watch the movie until I read the book.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I read the book and saw the original Swedish film and the one currently in theaters. I thought this book was the best of the trilogy. I liked the books in descending order. In terms of the film, I thought the original was more intense and explained the plot a lot better than the Daniel Craig version. Nonetheless, both are worth the money.

Erica Hough This book definitely starts slow, but after it picks up, you won't put it down. The other two don't have much to do with this one.

The Swedish version of the movie is excellent and sticks to the story very well. The American version is alright. The cinematography is beautiful, the score is amazing, but they change too much of the story for me to say that it is better than the original. It's a really cool movie, and I would totally recommend it. Be warned: it is very graphic.

Vinyessa Now that I finished the book, I'm excited to see the movie. Mostly because I think that the book could have been easily reduced by several hundred pages, and I think the movie will have cut out a lot of the book which, in my opinion, was useless information.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Rachel wrote: "I still have not read this book, but have heard mixed reviews about it. I was warned there is a lot of violence against women.

The book is better. Try to see the original movie from Sweden with subtitles.

Serena I've read the book and seen the movie. I definitely preferred the movie, just because of how long-winded the book was in places. Kind of wish I'd only bothered with the film to be honest!

Vinyessa Watched the Swedish movie, and it was not better than the book. I liked the book mainly because I liked Lisabeth, and I didn't get a very good sense of her in the movie. They cut out the whole Erika & Blomkivist plot line, which I kind of liked. Maybe the American one is better?

message 29: by Jon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon The American movie is so good!

Jessica I really like the books, I agree, not quite as great as they were hyped up to be, but still very good. I like the Swedish movies as well. There is quite a bit of violence against women, but that is the point of the books.

As far as the American version of the movie, I disliked it a lot! I felt it was a lot more graphic than the Swedish version, and it actually got to the point that I felt extremely uncomfortable watching it.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "I really like the books, I agree, not quite as great as they were hyped up to be, but still very good. I like the Swedish movies as well. There is quite a bit of violence against women, but that is..."

You make a good point Jessica. I felt the same discomfort

Steven Donaldson The book was awesome, I had read that there are a lot of characters intoduced quickly and it may be a bit of a chore but for me Larsson made it enjoyable and I just couldn't put it down. I held off watching the film (the one with daniel craig) till I'd finished reading, the movie was good but they changed the ending, the book was too long to cram into a movie, some are saying that the story dragged out but the attention to detail was one of the things I liked most. Salander really intrigued me from the jump, a character well worth following into the sequal.

message 33: by Brad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brad I liked all 3 of the books very much. Agree with all of the posts stating that the first 150 pages or so of Dragon Tattoo were dry, but then the book kicks up nicely. I started and stopped the book a few times, then one night I got past the 150 page mark... and read 300 pages that night! I liked the books from best to worst in this order: 1, 3, 2.

I have seen all 3 of the Swedish films and enjoyed them very much. They were well-acted and stayed pretty true to the books. I also liked the Fincher version of Dragon Tattoo.

Like one poster stated: I was sorry to finish the last book knowing that Larsson had passed away and that was that. I would liked to have seen what he could do with some more seasoning as an author!

Annemarie Donahue Jessica wrote: "I really like the books, I agree, not quite as great as they were hyped up to be, but still very good. I like the Swedish movies as well. There is quite a bit of violence against women, but that is..."

I think that was David Fincher's point was to push you into discomfort. Remember that great shot of the large wooden door from an up angle, I really felt as though he was forcing the viewer to take this scene from not just Lisbeth's standpoint, but from a small weak figure's.
The opening sequence bothered me because I thought it was just Fincher being Fincher. However I felt the rest of the movie, particularly editing was marvelous.

Wendy Read it, but then see the Swedish films. The stars aren't as pretty as the American ones, but the films stay true to the books.

Shayna I don't know what the nay-sayers are talking about. This series is in my top 10! Lisbeth has to be one of the most fascinating characters in modern day literature. I have read the entire series 3 times, and seen all of the Swedish movies. However, there is too much in the books for them to convey it all in a movie in a timely fashion. Plus, I know they changed the ending in the American version, which ALWAYS pisses me off. But it sure looks like Rooney Mara got Lisbeth right.

Bottom line-read the books!

Jennifer I've read the first of the three books. The day I finished it, I watched the Swedish version of the movie. Like so many others, I struggled to get through the first 100 pages of the book. But those pages are needed to understand Lisbeth, and for me, she is the best part of the book. Yes, there is violence against women, and it is graphic (both in the book and the film), but it is part of Larssen's point, that this sort of violence exists, and he wants to shed light on it. If that makes you uncomfortable, these aren't the books, or films, for you. But if you can see the violence as a social commentary, then the stories are worth it. And Lisbeth is, as Shayna says, one of the most fascinating literary characters I've come across recently.

message 38: by Athy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Athy I have read/lilstened to the trilogy. I wnt to see the movie and was prepared for it to be like they usually are, not true to the book. I was really surprised! The movie was quite true to the book, yes, including the graphic rape, etc. But, that is part of it. The girl who plays Lisbeth is awesome and Christopher Plummer was good too. My friend and I agreed that even if you haven't read the book, you can follow the story.

message 39: by Luis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Luis Just finished book 1. yeah Lisbeth sure is an interesting character and for me, the redeeming factor in the book. im excited to see the movie adaptation, and then continue reading the millenium series.

message 40: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy Rachel wrote: "I still have not read this book, but have heard mixed reviews about it. I was warned there is a lot of violence against women.

There is also violence against men, more so than against women. Read the book first, then see the movie.

Barbara Pam wrote: "I'm one of those freaks that LOVED the books and the Swedish versions of the movie and I even enjoyed the American version (although I felt it was inferior to the Swedish versions.) I would strong..."

I read all three books by this author and enjoyed each one. I was very sorry to hear he had passed away. I saw both movies also and rooted for Lisbeth all the way thru. Agasin, I'm sorry this series has come to an end with the death of the author.

Alyssa Read the book, seen both versions of the film, love them all. YMMV.

message 43: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy Barbara wrote: "Pam wrote: "I'm one of those freaks that LOVED the books and the Swedish versions of the movie and I even enjoyed the American version (although I felt it was inferior to the Swedish versions.) I ..."

I, too, am one of those freaks! I have not seen the |Swedish movie, but the american one was very good. The books were hard to put down. I am sad we must leave Lisbeth too:(

Carolyn I've only read The girl with the dragon tattoo. I had to start it twice before I got into it. I was wondering if anyone saw the movie and what they thought. I haven't seen it, but thought I would.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

The Swedish version is better in my opinion because it explains the plot better, but it leaves out the entire affair between the publisher and the lead character. The American version is still very worth your time.

message 46: by Deb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deb I liked the Swedish version better!

message 47: by Deb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deb All Swedish versions are on Netflix

Cheryl read then watch the movies!

Cheryl I like your picture Deb! :)

message 50: by Deb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deb Cheryl wrote: "I like your picture Deb! :)"

Haha I like yours too! :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (other topics)
The Girl Who Played with Fire (other topics)