Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) Catching Fire discussion

Seneca Crane on the Dummy

Comments (showing 1-36 of 36) (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Teresa Could someone explain why Katniss wrote Seneca Crane on the Dummy? I would like to know what it means.

KareB Senaca Crane was the game maker when she won Hunger Games. It was an act of rebellion to take attention off of Peeta.

Teresa I wasn't sure. Thanks for the info you wrote back to me.

KareB Yep, you're welcome

Sara I always thought she wrote Senca Crane as a warning to the new game maker. Since Senca was the game maker when she won and he was killed because of Peeta and Katniss "act of rebellion". I always thought she wrote his name to warn the new game maker You're Next. I'm not sure why she would have needed to take attention off of Peeta, because the trials are closed and Katniss wouldn't have known what Peeta did until her trial was over.

KareB I found the page where it says, "I feel a pang of worry. That isn't good. I don't want Peeta singling himself out as a target for the Gamemakers' anger. That's part of my job. To draw fire away from Peeta..." And then also to let them know that they could just as easily be targeted by the government.

KareB So I think it was an act of defiance, an act to hopefully draw attention away from Peeta, and a message to the Gamemakers that they could be targets also.

Sara Karen wrote: "So I think it was an act of defiance, an act to hopefully draw attention away from Peeta, and a message to the Gamemakers that they could be targets also."

I guess it was both!

Nya Tomlinson-Horan-Malik-Payne-Styles seneca crane was head gamemaker during the 74th hunger games. he should have blown katniss and peeta to bits when katniss pulled out those berries, instead, he formed a soft spot for the two. therefore, president snow had him hanged. nobody was suppose to know about. so in training, katniss, as an act of defiance, hung a dummy with his name on it. just rebellious behavior.

message 10: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth i agree. i think it was just to make the statement that she knew what they were up to and that she wasn't gonna keep their secrets for them. I guess she was just trying to be a rebel and did the worst thing she could think of hoping they'd be so shocked they'd forget whatever Peeta had done.

Olivia Probably to keep attention off Peeta and warn the next gamemakers about her. she probably was trying to send a message of rebellion to the gamemakers.

Kirby Karen wrote: "I found the page where it says, "I feel a pang of worry. That isn't good. I don't want Peeta singling himself out as a target for the Gamemakers' anger. That's part of my job. To draw fire away..."

best answer, in my opinion

Hannah She could be trying to take a little momment of revenge agasint them and show them this is what can hapen to you if you kill me off to quickly or maybe she could just be doing it to save peeta which didn't work very well for her

message 14: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle lol...yup

Samantha The Escapist Well it had many purposes, take attention away from peeta, rub their noses in the mess they made with crane and alert anyone else (possibly new game maker) of the danger they could be in by rebelling.

The act spoke volumes in that she was at the same time rebelling AND showing the potential result (while citing an example), she was showing that she'll do what she wants, and not out of ignorance to the danger of it.

Katniss (♏ikey Way Fan Girl)*Teddy's favorite Peanut* The first thing that came to my mind when I read that part was, "Good girl." I love her rebelious streak and that showed them she knew more then they thought she knew. And yes Senaca Crane was the head game maker for the 74th Hunger Games and was hung because of Katniss and Peeta's berries.

Sawyer Zundel I LOVE HOW KATNISS DID THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

*~Emo: {Evanna} :Goth~* Sawyer wrote: "I LOVE HOW KATNISS DID THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Ditto

Shannon Nya wrote: "seneca crane was head gamemaker during the 74th hunger games. he should have blown katniss and peeta to bits when katniss pulled out those berries, instead, he formed a soft spot for the two. there..."

This exactly.

Derrick I thought it was one of Katniss's crowning moments of awesome, along with the bit where she takes down a fighter plane with a frikkin arrow (though that might be book three).

It says, "Don't f--- with me because you will end up dead." And it just threw in their faces that they're just as responsible for how the Games go as they Tributes are.

Breanna THAT was sooo funny I peed my pants reading that!

hunger games and K POP LAVA!!!! i was laughing to that bit

Kristen I think it was definitely an act of rebellion, but I also think it was a warning. Kind of like she was saying, 'Look at what happened to him. None of you are safe. When you're deemed a liability, the Capitol has no problem killing their own.'

Meghan I'm glad to see discussion about this act. For me, there were three acts- the Seneca Crane dummy, the painting of Rue by Peeta, and Cinna's flaming dress that really formed the penultultimate symbolic resistance against the capitol's brutality. When I look back through the book, these were my favorite parts (well, also the sweet love developing between Katniss and Peeta, but that's for another post). I loved the bravery and courage expressed by all three (Peeta, Katniss and Cinna), and I thought it was quite remarkable that there wasn't any consultation or collaboration among them, yet all three acts came together to send a united message to the capitol.

message 25: by Doug (new)

Doug I think an aspect of the story is missed by simply stating an act of rebellion. Do not forget the context of the event. This was when the Tributes were supposed to demonstrate their best skill. In essence, Katniss was stating that her skill was her ability to turn the games against the Gamemakers. She was able to take the tool the Gamemakers used to oppress the districts and turn it back on them. It is like disarming your attacker and using their own weapon to defend yourself and kill them. In both the first and the second books, Katniss turned the games against the oppressive governing powers and used the games to inspire the very rebellion that the games were intended to supress.

message 26: by Angela (new)

Angela as an act of rebellion and or defiance. she was mocking them by letting them know that she, and everyone else, knew that they killed Seneca. although he wasn't hanged, they killed him and she was just reminding them that she knew that and making them feel guilty, but mainly just being defiant.

Nuran I believe it's both a homeage and a warning.

The Capitol like to forget all the bad things and pretend it didn't happen. People are just suppose to accept things and not question anything the president does. I believe it was also twisted homeage to the gamemaker who took mercy on Katniss and Peeta.

Katniss reminded them that she doesn't forget the bad things that the Capitol pretends doesn't happen or sweep under the carpet. That she thinks about all that happen, that she questions it all. That she remembers all the cost and sacrifices the games take, from the tributes who died to the gamemaker who took mercy on her and Peeta.

And it's a warning that if they don't pay attention to her and they screw up or take mercy on her, they'll be hanged. So their attention is diverted from everyone else and on to her, especially if they want to stay alive.

Zeus3713 Seneca Crane was not hung. He was forced to eat the "Nightlock Berries". Katniss couldn't make him look like he swallowed the berries, and therefore made it dramatic by hanging him.

Samantha The Escapist Zeus3713 wrote: "Seneca Crane was not hung. He was forced to eat the "Nightlock Berries". Katniss couldn't make him look like he swallowed the berries, and therefore made it dramatic by hanging him."

I think it's more a simple reference to an archaic method of capital punishment. Traditionally hanging and beheading have been the methods by which world leaders have "done away" with those who oppose/hinder them by inventing charges or accusing treason.

Susie Barnes Nya Tomlinson-Horan-Malik-Payne-Styles wrote: "seneca crane was head gamemaker during the 74th hunger games. he should have blown katniss and peeta to bits when katniss pulled out those berries, instead, he formed a soft spot for the two. there..."

I don't think Seneca Crane had a soft spot, I think he took the audience's wishes into account too much. He let himself be swayed by what the audience wanted instead of what was safe for the capitol.

Zeus3713 but yet this book's setting was in the future

Hungergames19 Seneca Crane hanged himself because otherwise the capitol was going to kill him and he wanted to die his own way and be another defiance to the capitol. So everyone knew that he hanged himself. So, Katniss knew Peeta did something bad, so she tried to do something worse. She hanged a dummy and wrote Seneca Crane to be more spunky and give Katniss a bad score so she could save Peeta. It was all for Peeta's sake.

message 33: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Seneca Crane outraged President Snow by allowing two winners , and was executed. Katniss wrote his name on the dummy to publicly expose what President Snow had done, which not only alerted everyone to Seneca's execution, but deflected attention away from Peeta and onto Katniss.

Allison Doug wrote: "I think an aspect of the story is missed by simply stating an act of rebellion. Do not forget the context of the event. This was when the Tributes were supposed to demonstrate their best skill. In ..."

Man, I love that perspective on it. I've never thought of it that way before, but it makes a lot of sense to me. Also, it implies that Peeta's skill that he showed them was his compassion for others, which also rings very true. Thanks for the new viewpoint.

Hungergames19 What Zeus3713 is true. But he hanged himself. He hanged HIMSELF because he didn't want the Capitol to choose his death.

Susie Barnes Where is it in the book that he hanged himself? I don't remember and I'd like to go back and read it.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Catching Fire (other topics)