Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Book of the Month > March 2011 Nook Book of the Month is. . .

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela2932 (last edited Mar 01, 2012 06:36AM) (new)

Angela2932 | 255 comments Mod
The Leftovers Just a reminder, on the poll for the February book, we had a tie between this book and Game of Thrones, and decided to read The Leftovers in March.

If any of you are like me, you may still be reading Game of Thrones, and if so, feel free to continue posting comments on the February thread for that book during this month as well.

But if you're ready for The Leftovers,be sure to post any comments, thoughts, about the book in this discussion thread throughout the month. . . .

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 38 comments I'm picking up the dead tree edition at my local library today and will be starting off tonight, so I will joining in the spirit, if not the letter, of the Nook group read. ;-)

message 3: by Abby (new)

Abby | 33 comments I read The Leftovers after being intrigued by the premise. But the story left me feeling kind of "meh." I never got very involved with any of the characters. For such an extraordinary beginning--a big chunk of humanity going "poof"--I'd expect more. I'm a big fan of end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it books, and maybe I started with higher expectations than I should have. Convince me otherwise, folks! I don't like writing "meh" reviews!! :-)

message 4: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (Yakyma) | 51 comments Abby wrote: "I read The Leftovers after being intrigued by the premise. But the story left me feeling kind of "meh." I never got very involved with any of the characters. For such an extraordinary beginning--a ..."

I am only about 30 pages into the book so far, but i'm actually feeling the meh too. Still reading, hoping it gives me more.

message 5: by Jim (last edited Mar 15, 2012 12:44PM) (new)

Jim | 38 comments I read The Leftovers with absolutely no preconceived notions. In fact, I didn't even read the book jacket when I checked it out at my library. I just sat down and started reading because it was our group read of the month.

I'm going to wrap the rest of this in a spoiler tag, just in case.

(view spoiler)

So yeah, me too. Meh.

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie i was so intrigued by the premise and kept reading, hoping to start to care about one if the characters or at least understand where they were coming from-but it didn't really happen. There were parts that were intriguing, but I would have to agree with the 'meh'.

message 7: by Angela2932 (new)

Angela2932 | 255 comments Mod
Another "meh" here, and I've been listening to the audio version, because I got it from the library. I'm about 1/3 through, and keep thinking "I don't care" about the characters, and thinking I just wasn't giving the book a fair chance. Reading others' reactions. . . . I'm giving myself permission to abandon ship and move on to another book.

message 8: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (Yakyma) | 51 comments I read to the end of the book waiting for something to happen and when i got there i was pretty disappointed. Meh is right....it wasn't AWFUL, but i can't say i would ever recommend it to anyone else.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Leftovers (other topics)