Creative Reviews discussion

Special Events > Smashwords Site-wide Sale - Read an eBook Week!

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

J.A. Clement (JAClement) | 1328 comments Hi all:

Smashwords has their annual site-wide sale, Read An eBook Week in March and this year it's 4th - 10th. Books are reduced by 25%, 50%, 75% or made free, and are all grouped in a RAEW catalogue so as to be easier to find.

Readers, it's well worth a look - though last year demand crashed the site so if it's slow, possible worth coming back at an unseasonable hour!

Authors, it's probably worth your while to play, esp if your book is priced over 1.25 as the minimum they can charge is .99c or free so if that's all it costs anyhow you can only reduce it to free. However it's good exposure, so poss still worth your while (if it's any indication, I've signed ODS1 up for it again).

Anyhow, link is here: http://www.smashwords.com/books/categ...

for anyone who's interested!
JAC

Doc (doc_coleman) | 41 comments Thanks for the info! I just enrolled my short story The Gift. I could use the promotional bump, even if it is a give-away.

Doc

Barbara G.Tarn (Barb65) | 405 comments I was about to start this thread and you beat me to it! ;-)
I enrolled all of my last year's titles with 50% off (not the 99cents, though, as they'd be free and the sales don't spread - I already tried this last year), so be sure to check the Books of the Immortals, Tales of the Southern Kindoms and Soul Stealers with 50%off for a week! :-D

Derrolyn Anderson | 12 comments I enrolled the first book in my YA series free - It'll be interesting to see how many hits and follow-up sales it gets.

Josh Karaczewski (joshkaraczewski) | 11 comments I tried clicking through the sale books to see how far in my book was - and gave up around page 37. There are so many books listed, I don't see how sale shoppers will ever have the patience to get to me. Maybe they'll shuffle the books' order?

Lena Hillbrand (LenaHillbrandauthorTheSuperiors) | 191 comments I was wondering about that too, Josh. I put my first book up for free and the second at half off. Not sure anyone will find it, though. Today the free book got 4 downloads and the half-price one got zero.

This is one of those promos where I think people will get really excited and download a hundred books and they may never get around to reading most of them. I know I hear 'free' and get a little over-zealous sometimes!

Anyone else who is participating want to share how your book is doing?

message 7: by Derrolyn (last edited Mar 04, 2012 06:03PM) (new)

Derrolyn Anderson | 12 comments There are an awful lot of books, and I scrolled through them all! I couldn't find my book in the catalog this morning (YA romance). I e-mailed them and it looks like they fixed it - two downloads so far. Whoo Hoo!

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

Derrolyn Anderson | 12 comments Update: 20 downloads and counting.
I've got myself some new spring break reading too!

Barbara G.Tarn (Barb65) | 405 comments Last year I had a few downloads of "free for the week" books - didn't bust the sales of the rest. So this year I'm only offering 50% off - no free titles unless they're already free.
People who download freebies never read them, and they're not returning customers. That's what I learned last year. So far no downloads (well, yeah, on "full price" 99cents story! ;-p), but it's OK.
Make sure to advertize the ebook week on your blog, Facebook, etc, otherwise, nobody will find you with all the great offers! ;-)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 159 comments Just in case anyone missed the month-long, site-wide Smashwords blowout, they have another one annually in July. The Summer/Winter Sale (since it's summer in the northern hemisphere and winter in the southern) is from July 1-31 and will have the same opportunities to get books at 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% off (free) by using the special Smashwords-only coupon codes published on the site when the sale begins.

Usually the codes are something like "SWS25" or "SWS75" but you'll have to double-check to be sure Mark doesn't switch it up on us this year.

The number of books on Smashwords has gone up by a whole order of magnitude (more than 10 times the number there were) so there'll be some amazing opportunties for readers to load up those eReaders with beach reads!

My book, Conditioned Response (Phoenician, #2) by Marjorie F. Baldwin will definitely be entered into the sale but probably only 50% off since I'm JUST launching today (April 20th) and in the first 3 months is not the time to give away sales (for sales history establishment purposes towards the best seller list placements anyway - I dream BIG, don't I? :-))))

-Friday

message 11: by Marjorie (last edited Jul 01, 2012 12:47PM) (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 159 comments Hey, Sadie, the site-wide sale referenced in this thread was back in March :) it's over and the "SSWIN" code you gave is for the current "Summer/Winter Sale" - it doesn't matter, it's still free and it's still site-wide but just wanted to be sure you're aware there are TWO (2) totally separate events at Smashwords on an annual basis. I was definitely misleading in April posting here about the July sale ((oops, my bad!))

1) Read an Ebook Week is internationally recognized as the first week of March (first Sunday through Saturday) and everywhere or anywhere that sells eBooks participates (or gives up the opportunity for the promotion-driven sales)

2) Smashwords Summer/Winter Sale is the entire month of July but ONLY at Smashwords

-Friday
@phoenicianbooks

message 12: by Sadie (last edited Jul 01, 2012 01:03PM) (new)

Sadie Forsythe | 36 comments @Marjorie...no, I totally missed that. It's the first day of the Summer/Winter sale so I blithely assumed that was the site-wide sale being referred to. It didn't even occur to me to look at the dates of the previous posts to notice that they were old. I looked at the titles to see if I wanted to snag any of them, but didn't notice the dates. At least this way a thread gets recycled. Thanks for setting me straight.

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 159 comments Thanks for making this thread live again :) My book needs all the exposure it can get! LOL

Josh Karaczewski (joshkaraczewski) | 11 comments Considering that I haven't read or reviewed any of the books I downloaded in the March Sale myself, I don't have spectacular hopes for this sale being a break-out marketing opportunity. I've listed my book of short stories for 100% off, but haven't searched through to see how deep customers will have to dig in the pages to find it,

Sadie Forsythe | 36 comments I can't disagree Josh. But I'll take what I can get. I know for myself I'm not digging through the list. I'm just keeping my eyes on lists like this, twitter, etc to see what the people I enter act with recommend or seek reviews for. It's my way of limiting both the time I put into it and the number of books I download.

message 16: by Marjorie (last edited Jul 02, 2012 11:59AM) (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 159 comments I have to note there's an error on the Smashwords site (it's been there a while and the sitewide sale just makes it more noticeable). If you are NOT logged in, you do NOT see the books in the catalog the same way--or in the sale catalog AT ALL. If you ARE logged in, everything displays as it should. Same exact settings, just logged in. I reported it (and did a screen shot on my Facebook Page) Not sure Smashwords will get to it ...ever, let alone quickly.

My book shows up first on the Science Fiction / Utopias & Dystopias over 100K words and "newest" even though it's definitely NOT "newest" on the site. It's just been added to the sitewide sale ((shakes head)) The Smashwords scripts clearly need a techie hand or three.

[image error]

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Gift (other topics)
Conditioned Response (other topics)