The Dusty Bookshelf discussion

Lord of the Flies
This topic is about Lord of the Flies
Books > Lord of the Flies [Golding]

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beri (new) - added it

Beri (beriaru) | 7 comments Going to attempt to read this book in a couple weeks then check out the movie. Does anyone want to join me?

message 2: by Ampa (new)

Ampa (maniacmidget) | 8 comments Which movie were you planning to watch? According to IMDB there is the 1990 version and a 1963 version.

message 3: by Beri (new) - added it

Beri (beriaru) | 7 comments Ampa wrote: "Which movie were you planning to watch? According to IMDB there is the 1990 version and a 1963 version."

I heard that the black and white 1963 version was so much better than the Hollywood remake so I was planning to watching that one instead.

Amanda (Flutterby32) | 53 comments This is on my TBR list so I will join you. I read it in high school but just vaguely remember it. Sounds like fun. Let me know when you want to get started.

message 5: by Beri (new) - added it

Beri (beriaru) | 7 comments Amanda wrote: "This is on my TBR list so I will join you. I read it in high school but just vaguely remember it. Sounds like fun. Let me know when you want to get started."

Ready at any time really. It's been collecting dust for ages!

message 6: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz (HisSheep) Beri wrote: "Going to attempt to read this book in a couple weeks then check out the movie. Does anyone want to join me?"

Read this one Beri MANY years ago (a high school "must"); didn't know it had come out in a movie version ... tell me more! ;o)

message 7: by Beri (new) - added it

Beri (beriaru) | 7 comments Liz wrote: Read this one Beri MANY years ago (a high school "must"); didn't know it h..."

Oh yeah! There are two movies, the original black and white film from back in the 60s and then the Hollywood remake from the 90s.
I read a lot of reviews and noticed that the 60s was considered "better" and followed the original story a lot more closely than the Hollywood version although the fact that there are no colors turns off many people.

Alana (alanasbooks) I don't know that I've seen either film, I should check it out. I read it on my own right after high school (for fun...how strange is that?) and was swept away in the story and how disturbingly true it is. I know it's aimed at youth and is a short book, but it's very powerful.

Fatin (Fatin-) | 46 comments I hadn't realized there were movies based on the book either! I absolutely loved this book. I picked it up after I heard somebody read out the "Kill the beast, cut his throat, spill his blood" passage for a dramatic recital.
How are the movies? I just feel like I would be disappointed. I usually avoid the movies.

Hayley Stewart (Haybop) | 491 comments Mod
I remember reading this ages ago for school - never got around to seeing the film (wasn't overly enamoured with the book tbh).
It might be interesting for me to go back and read this again at some point.

unread topics | mark unread