Goodreads Ireland discussion

The Sense of an Ending
This topic is about The Sense of an Ending
The Sense of an Ending > The Sense of an Ending

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Declan (declan_lyons) | 7426 comments Mod
This is the discussion thread the March 2012 monthly read winner,The Sense of an Ending. I look forward to discussing this book with you all.

Good reading,

Declan. :)

I-like-to-read (AKAKate) | 424 comments I hope everyone enjoys this book as much as I did. Looking forward to reading everyone's comments.

Kate

Ruby Barnes (RubyBarnes) | 30 comments I really hope I can discipline myself to actually read this month's read! Especially because of the author's name ;-]

message 4: by Declan (last edited Feb 29, 2012 02:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I-like-to-read wrote: "I hope everyone enjoys this book as much as I did. Looking forward to reading everyone's comments.

Kate"

That's good to hear, Katie. I've mostly heard good things, but there have been a few awful reviews, too.

Ruby wrote: "I really hope I can discipline myself to actually read this month's read! Especially because of the author's name ;-]"

Are you relations, ruby? :p

Ruby Barnes (RubyBarnes) | 30 comments No, he's just trying to catch some kudos from my name ;-]

Ruby wrote: "No, he's just trying to catch some kudos from my name ;-]"

Lol!

I-like-to-read (AKAKate) | 424 comments Anyone finished yet. If so did you get it!

I only got my copy today. There's not a lot of reading in it, so hopefully I'll get a couple of hours to myself and be able to discuss it with here, soon.

Laura | 258 comments This is a very well written and sobering book. Although I haven't finished the book, it is clear that Barnes offers much to think about.

I finished it yesterday. I really enjoyed it. There wasn't a whole lot of reading, here, but I can see way it was so highly regarded. If a narrative is carried out as an internal monologue, and done correctly, there's no better way to portray a characters personality. This is done remarkably well in this book.

I'm going to open a spoiler thread, because I think everyone who finishes this book will want to jump right in to a more in-depth discussion.

Sandra Lawson (Thequeenofcurdsandcream) | 9 comments I picked this up last week with a voucher from the Sunday Times. Although I still have a great pile of books to wade through, I jumped the queue with this one and am thankful I did.

I loved the way he portrayed his teen years in the first part of the novel. I grew up in the sixties and went to a comprehensive school and found the portrayal of the teenage boys pretty accurate. It can't be easy to recall some of those impressions after such a long time.

The second part, especially the sense of how previous actions can impinge on the present, was psychologically worrying. How many things do we all do when we are younger and not give them a second thought? We carry our past with us.

Laura | 258 comments Sandra wrote: "I picked this up last week with a voucher from the Sunday Times. Although I still have a great pile of books to wade through, I jumped the queue with this one and am thankful I did.

I loved the..."

That is so so true -on the individual level as well as on national and global levels. It is so hard to convince children and grandchildren that what they do today or don't do will stay with them in some way. Not that anyone could tell me anything when I was young either!

Mo | 80 comments Terrific thoughts, Sandra. The older I get the more I understand how much so many of the little things we do or say each day often mean to others. In my own life, I can think of several times when a kind word or gesture has meant the world to me. More often than not, I think the one who has offered that kindness has no idea how profoundly they have affected my life. Conversely, I wonder what I might have said or done that might have a negative impact on someone else's life. I found this novel easy to read but quite thought provoking!

Sandra Lawson (Thequeenofcurdsandcream) | 9 comments I love the way he interrogates memory. We all carry different memories of events and actions that are personal to us. Another writer who is very good at this is Penelope Lively.

Thread has been moderated to keep it subject specific.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Sense of an Ending (other topics)