Books on the Nightstand discussion

Book Specific Discussions > Books set in Turkey

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth A (Kisiwa) | 190 comments I'm headed to Turkey in a couple of weeks and would love to get recos on books set in Turkey. Thanks!

message 2: by Kathie (new)

Kathie | 21 comments Birds Without Wings by Louis de Bernières Birds without Wings by Louis de Bernieres!! It covers the era from the early 1900s through WWI, and is mainly about rising nationalism and religious tolerance/intolerance. Excellent novel.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

The Museum of Innocence by Orhan Pamuk.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Snow also by orhan pamuk

i read a short story by him in the new yorker that i found much more enjoyable.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2094 comments Mod
Oh, Turkey is near and dear to my heart. Any Pamuk will do the trick.

Also, Gardens of Water by Alan Drew is a novel that Michael and I recommended a few years ago.

A book I've long wanted to read but haven't yet is The Bastard of Istanbul by Elif Shafak. It's a look at the Turkish role in the Armenian genocide, and I am going to have to read it very soon, because I am currently reading Chris Bohjalian's new book (due out this fall) which centers on the 1915 genocide from the Armenian perspective.

Have fun -- I am very, very jealous! Give Istanbul a big kiss for me.

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 128 comments Two 1960s mystery novels:

Eric Ambler, The Light of Day, a.k.a. Topkapi
Dorothy Gilman, The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Ann wrote: "Oh, Turkey is near and dear to my heart. Any Pamuk will do the trick.

Also, Gardens of Water by Alan Drew is a novel that Michael and I recommended a few years ago.

A book I've long wanted to r..."

I am three books behind on Chris Bohjalian, but this new one sounds like a must-read. The Bastard of Istanbul sounds good too.

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth A (Kisiwa) | 190 comments Thank you all so much - I knew I could rely on this group for some great recos. These all sound fab. Thanks again.

message 9: by O. (new)

O. (vaashti) | 17 comments I am currently reading The Oracle of Stamboul by first time author Michael David Lukas, set in 19th-century Istanbul. I stumbled upon it at my local library and am really enjoying it.

message 10: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Great thread Elizabeth! I'm sure I'll return here again for some recs. have a great time in Turkey!!

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth A (Kisiwa) | 190 comments This is my first trip to Turkey and I am vibrating with excitement.

I started listening to the audio of Gardens of Water: A Novel this morning and am loving it so far. I've started collecting the recos, and now have to decide which books to actually take along on the trip. A great problem to have.

message 12: by Frankie (new)

Frankie (thefranklynn) | 72 comments Oh, you're going to love it! I went last spring and it was amazing... great time of year to go. Enjoy!

Anyways, The Historian has some great sections set in Turkey and a lot of the back story has to do with the Turkish wars with Eastern Europe. The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

message 13: by Janet (new)

Janet (JustJanet) | 772 comments I don't have any books to recommend but I am very jealous of your trip as Istanbul is one of my top 10 cities.

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth A (Kisiwa) | 190 comments Kathie wrote: "Birds Without Wings by Louis de Bernières Birds without Wings by Louis de Bernieres!! It covers the era from the early 1900s through WWI, and is mainly about rising nationalism and religious tolerance/i..."

Just got this one. Cannot wait to dive in.

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth A (Kisiwa) | 190 comments Frankie wrote: "Oh, you're going to love it! I went last spring and it was amazing... great time of year to go. Enjoy!

Anyways, The Historian has some great sections set in Turkey and a lot of the back story has ..."

I read this one when it first came out and loved it. Literally could not put it down.

message 16: by Denise (new)

Denise | 66 comments Frankie wrote: "Oh, you're going to love it! I went last spring and it was amazing... great time of year to go. Enjoy!

Anyways, The Historian has some great sections set in Turkey and a lot of the back story has ..."

Did not realize The Historianhas Turkey as some of it's setting. Another reader, Hazel, recently commented on my wall that hes is listening to the audioversion. If I remember, I will let you know what she thought of audio. It might be worth listening rather than reading.

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth A (Kisiwa) | 190 comments Vaashti wrote: "I am currently reading The Oracle of Stamboul by first time author Michael David Lukas, set in 19th-century Istanbul. I stumbled upon it at my local library and am really enjoying it."

Thanks for the reco. Started it listening to it yesterday and was immediately sucked into the story.

message 18: by Diane (new)

Diane (DianeC) | 46 comments I read The Bastard of Istanbul and do recommend it. A very contemporary view of Istanbul culture. I also loved The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax - which is more of old school 1960s CIA in Turkey. Have fun. Turkey is one of my favorite places.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Birds Without Wings (other topics)
The Museum of Innocence (other topics)
Snow (other topics)
The Oracle of Stamboul (other topics)
Gardens of Water (other topics)
More...