Good Readers of Scotland discussion

Random Book Chat > Best and worst Scottish accent?

Comments (showing 1-26)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

message 26: by nutri (last edited Oct 15, 2015 12:21AM) (new)

nutri | 2 comments Annie wrote: "nutri wrote: "Hello. I've just came back from a three day trip to Scotlund and a friend at whom I was staying said that it's typical for Scots to repeat anything they say rightaway because it's so ..."

I see. My non-American face was usually blank as well.

message 25: by Annie (new)

Annie (AnnieArgyll) nutri wrote: "Hello. I've just came back from a three day trip to Scotlund and a friend at whom I was staying said that it's typical for Scots to repeat anything they say rightaway because it's so common for the..."

No. I've lived here 15 years and they only repeat as anyone would, if asked to repeat themselves. Or if they see a blank look on an American's face.

message 24: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Craig | 6 comments No.

message 23: by nutri (new)

nutri | 2 comments Hello. I've just came back from a three day trip to Scotlund and a friend at whom I was staying said that it's typical for Scots to repeat anything they say rightaway because it's so common for them to not understand each other.

I'm curious - is that true?

message 22: by Ali (new)

Ali (alibalibee) hello I'm new here. funny discussion. Looks like no-one has mentioned Mel Gibson

hmmmm in fact I might just not mention him either......

message 21: by William (new)

William (williemeikle) On the subject of Scotty... Simon Pegg isn't too bad as him in the new film.

Even gets away with a wee Glasgow "Get tae..." at one point.

message 20: by Donna (new)

Donna Duntay wrote: "It was actually a very good Kirriemuir accent, quite impressive."

Being that I am from Kirriemuir, I would have to agree - his accent was pretty close to my own!

message 19: by Jambarie (new)

Jambarie (jeanmarieski) | 1 comments Anne wrote: "Gerard Butler, born in Glasgow Scotland,1969, in his later movies had tried to lose his Scottish accent which I hate to see. he is charming when he talks the way he should , and a good place to see..."

I couldn't agree more... It saddens me when I see him denying his wonderful accent..

I also find it funny that they had him play an Irishman in " PS I Love You"...

message 18: by Duntay (new)

Duntay | 13 comments It was actually a very good Kirriemuir accent, quite impressive.

message 17: by Gregor (new)

Gregor | 1 comments I read somewhere that Robin Williams in "Mrs Doubtfire" is meant to be Scottish , lol , is that true ? Brigadoon is pretty awful too

message 16: by Donna (new)

Donna Nato wrote: "Hello, I'm new to this group. I'm an American of Scottish descent. Is there a standard Scottish accent?

In the US, I grew up in Michigan and the midwestern accent (mine) was then standard. Th..."

I think Scotland is too small a country to have a standard accent. Also the accents change from region to region, which is madness in such a small place. Where I am from (Angus) we speak one way, but you just need to drive less than half an hour down the road to Dundee and they speak which a completely different accent.

Also, think about the Scots you hear in film and on TV - Dame Maggie Smith sounds completely different to Billy Connelly, who in turn sounds completely different from Sean Connery. There's a lot of variety.

message 15: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa OK that note, go on YouTube and search "parliamo Glasgow" and "Chewin' the fat".

message 14: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa Nato wrote: "Hello, I'm new to this group. I'm an American of Scottish descent. Is there a standard Scottish accent?

In the US, I grew up in Michigan and the midwestern accent (mine) was then standard. Th..."

Bunch of Sinclairs up Orkney way...do good whisky up there so they do...the Highland Park 18 year old may be the tears of angels.
As to a standard accent...huge regional variation. Also issues of dialect.

message 13: by Naftoli (new)

Naftoli | 1 comments Hello, I'm new to this group. I'm an American of Scottish descent. Is there a standard Scottish accent?

In the US, I grew up in Michigan and the midwestern accent (mine) was then standard. Then I moved to California as a young adult and I've heard for years that California is the standard American accent ... it shifts. So it seems to follow me ... not that I care, I'd rather be bidialectal.

But wondering about a standard. My ancestors are Sinclairs ... I think Northern Scotland.

message 12: by Morris (new)

Morris (MacIomhair) | 1 comments Worst Scottish accent is Inverness, best is Outer Hebrides. Oops, not what you mean?

Best is Groundskeeper Willie - the most famous Scot on the planet.

Worst is Russ Abbot as C U Jimmy.

Most surprising is Michael Cain in Kidnapped.

message 11: by Anne (last edited Aug 08, 2010 12:29PM) (new)

Anne (Spartandax) | 23 comments Gerard Butler, born in Glasgow Scotland,1969, in his later movies had tried to lose his Scottish accent which I hate to see. he is charming when he talks the way he should , and a good place to see him in a wonderful movie where he does use his correct Scottish speech is "Dear Frankie." Highly recommended. I also loved him in "The Phantom of the Opera" where he sounded more British when he did talk, which was seldom as most of it was sung. A few times his burr snuck in, though. I have not seen "How to Train your Dragon" where he is the voice of "Stoic the Vast" a Viking, but those who have said he has his Scottish accent in it. A Scottish Viking?? Well, considering that the Vikings settled some of Scotland, I guess it is not so unusual.

message 10: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 1 comments I just saw The Ugly Truth with Gerard Butler; he doesn't have a scots accent in the film but it is trying its hardest to get out the whole way through!

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna I have to agree that Christopher Lambert's 'Highlander' accent is excruciating, but for me the most laughable attempt at a Scottish accent was on an episode of Sex and the City, when Charlotte got married to Kyle MacLachlan's character. There was a guy on that episode who's accent was shocking.

message 8: by Mark (new)

Mark | 5 comments Personally I like Angus Podgorny's wife hehehehe! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySl_Nk...

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark | 5 comments Well scotty had a good look when he spoke, however, he just happened to be generations off, using the old timey Scotts dialect to a fault. Probably picked it up from watching Rathbone's sherlock holmes etc etc

message 6: by Steve (new)

Steve | 6 comments Oh yes, I meant to say Scotty = rubbish accent.

Wait! I can't believe I didn't think of this one straight away:

Most ludicrous Scottish accent in celluloid history must go to the extremely French Christopher Lambert in "Highlander".

And the very Scottish Sean Connery didn't even attempt a Spanish accent.

message 5: by Old-Barbarossa (last edited Dec 08, 2008 11:16AM) (new)

Old-Barbarossa I hope Scotty falls into the "worst" pile? Even Scottish folk do rubbish Scottish accents when trying to quote Scotty...well, cronies of mine do after a few pints...
To see real Scottish officers of Starfleet check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcPgsM...
I genuinely think Mike Myers has one of the better ones though.

message 4: by Steve (new)

Steve | 6 comments James "Scotty" Doohan on Star Trek, surely.

"The engines cannae' take it, cap'n!"

He was Canadian.

message 3: by Old-Barbarossa (last edited Dec 07, 2008 01:52AM) (new)

Old-Barbarossa "Heid!" And cans of Export...anyone not Scottish just watch So I Married An Axe Murderer, it's all true...

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark | 5 comments I vote Mike Meyers - "piper doun!"

message 1: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa OK, not strictly about books but just for a chuckle...
I just saw Michael Caine in Master Of Ballantrae, is this the worst Scottish accent in film? Groundsman Willie in the Simpsons?
Best? Jonny Lee Miller in Trainspotting? Mike Myers in So I Married An Axe Murderer?

unread topics | mark unread