Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Group Reads Archive > Nominations for April Espionage-Themed Group Read

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 3933 comments Mod
Please list your suggestions for the April group read in the theme of espionage.

We have already read Goldfinger by Ian Fleming with this theme, so that book is ineligible.

The poll will be posted on March 4th.

message 2: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (Mistborn22) | 464 comments How about Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy? I'm very much interested in reading this though I haven't seen the film. I generally prefer reading the book first.

message 4: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I too, have to read a book before I see the movie, Jonathan. If I don't, for some reason I lose interest in reading the book, I have no idea why, lol.

How about The Gray Man Mike was talking about, sure sounds interesting.

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 3933 comments Mod
Since I own it, I'll probably vote for The Gray Man. :)

I'd like to read the other recommendations one day as well.

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

I want to read that one too, Lisa!

message 8: by Lisa P (new)

Lisa P | 1132 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I want to read that one too, Lisa!"

I think you were the one who reminded me of this book in another thread. I read it many years ago and really enjoyed it, but don't remember any of the details anymore. My memory is not what it use to be, so I think it is time for a reread. :)

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

I know what you mean. My memory is darn spotty in places.

message 10: by Lisa P (new)

Lisa P | 1132 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I know what you mean. My memory is darn spotty in places."

Mine's more than spotty...it's a big black hole!

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Around the time my father passed away, I lost big chunks out of my memory. People will ask me if I remember certain things, and I say, "Nope."

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 18 comments How about The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, which I think maybe the most famous espionage novel ever written.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2743 comments I know we don't need seconds here but I just read Gray Man and it was surprisingly good, I really liked it. So, I'll second The Gray Man and plan to vote for it.

message 14: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (Mistborn22) | 464 comments Kevin wrote: "How about The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, which I think maybe the most famous espionage novel ever written."

Oooh tough call between that and Tinker, Tailor for me at the moment. I'm planning on reading John le Carré's novels in the next while.

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Mar 05, 2012 01:35PM) (new)

The poll is up for the April read. It will close on the 12th of March.

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/62...

message 16: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

The Gray Man is the winner of the April group read poll. Discussion will start on April 1st.

message 17: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Just wanted to remind anyone that's interested, The Gray Man is on sale at Audible.com for $4.95 till the 13th of this month.

I got my copy, looking forward to this one!

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2743 comments I got all 3 (that are done) on Audible.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Aim High or am I too late? I recommended it on another thread, figured I'd toss it in here.

message 20: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Sorry, Jimmy. We're in between nominations rounds and about to vote on our June read. Keep your recommendation in mind for the next nomination round where it applies.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, will do. I'm late for everything lol

message 22: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (PirateGhost) | 5317 comments Mod
I know what you mean. I'm late for everything too... cept .. never late for dinner.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Goldfinger (other topics)
The Holcroft Covenant (other topics)
The Enemy (other topics)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (other topics)
The Gray Man (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robert Ludlum (other topics)
Desmond Bagley (other topics)
David Morrell (other topics)