2015 Reading Challenge discussion

The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1)
This topic is about The Golden Compass
ARCHIVE 2012 Group Reads > Mar 2012 - Chapters 1-6 *may contain spoilers*

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adriana | 3030 comments um... it says chapters 1-3 at the top.

Tatum | 459 comments Well, another book where a lot happens in the opening chapters. I don't quite get all the whats, whys and wheres yet but I think that's the author's intention.

Very strange world setting too, halfway between reality and fantasy with elements of sort of olden times as well as futuristic technology. I like it, it's different.

Johanna | 765 comments I liked how much etiquette were disregarded on the first chapter, even though maybe not that big things, but in that world/time surprising actions. The only thing bothering me right now is that I keep thinking about an actor in the movie while I read. Especially Lord Ashriel. I usually don´t mind this since I´m not an imaginative reader when it comes to the characters appearance.

Tatum | 459 comments Actually, you made the comment on your page, not here but I like what you said about "A children's book with a severed head". I admit at the time I never thought that was out of place, but looking back on it...

And I do enjoy Lyra as the protagonist, I think she's quite an interesting little character.

Johanna | 765 comments I did not remember there were pretty ugly things happening in the book. So I had to write it down somehow :) It´s interesting to read about a protagonist this young for a change, I just have to keep reminding myself of that once in a while.

Beverly (bshrib) I love the world in this series because it's both familiar and strange. I remember when I first started reading that I was trying to figure out whether it took place in the past or the future. I remember first thinking that it had to be in the past because of the scholars and the way they interact at the college. I don't think it was until later that I finally figured out it wasn't exactly our world.

Nathan (nathlawle) I'm finally moving along in this book. It's getting to be more my pace. I like it now that it's moving faster.

Johanna | 765 comments Good! :)

unread topics | mark unread