Muslim Community discussion

Islam > The Hijaab, the Niqab, and the Abaya

Comments (showing 48-97)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 97: by Ati (last edited Nov 05, 2013 10:45AM) (new)

Ati | 24 comments I'm in high school and I wear the hijab, and Insha-Allah, the burka soon. I encourage every Muslim girl to wear at least the hijab. Its not what society thinks, its whether you fall for what satan or Allah wants.
I hate it when a girl wears a hijab, but then wears tight, revealing clothes. Do they not understand the purpose of the hijab? Might as well not wear it and call yourself a hypocrite and disgrace.

message 96: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Lameche Apologies accepted sister. No offence meant. At the end of the day we all want to be on the straight path insha'Allah. Allah hafis

message 95: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 23 comments Sister Ira, I respect your opinion that you believe based on your knowledge that niqaab is fardh however, as stated rather concisely in the post I shared previously Maliki Madhab does not consider niqaab fardh it is permissible to wear it and recommended for women who feel their face is too beautiful and will cause fitnah. Hanafi Madhab says it is wajib for women who fear they will cause fitna but their is no sin on those who do not. Shafi'i have traditionally considered it fardh but now many rulings say it creates barriers in the west so there is no sin in not wearing it under those conditions. Salafis are split as to wheather niqaab is fardh or wheather jilbab fulfils the requirement and is considered fardh. It is not unanimous and it is not a majority. Most say at least on some level that niqaab is recommended for people who fear fitnah from showing their face. I have always heard that niqaab is not allowed for Hajj and Umrah and since all the evidence I have seen thus far says the same I have to believe that is the overwhelming concensus. If you can share some fatwas or hadith about wearing niqaab to Hajj or Umrah I would appreciate that. I cannot make such judgements based on hearsay alone and I do not know your mother's Mufti nor his exact fatwa. I can only make judgements based on the information I do have available and at this time what you have said is not supported by the information I have. Allah knows best and if I am in error it is from me and insha'Allah he will show me that which is correct.

message 94: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Lameche p.s I never said wearing hijab is not fard my dear. I think you have misread my posting. However I reiterate the niqab isn't. I find it a little strange that you say you know that no one will agree with you as no one accepts the niqab as being fardh or wajjib? If that's the case have you ever wondered why that may be?
Please forgive me for obviously upsetting you but I cannot agree with you on this. We all have our path to follow and choices to make. Allah will judge us no one else.

message 93: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Lameche Asalaamualaikum Ira. Perhaps sister you need heed your own advice. (Not arguing?).
Of course you are entitled to your opinion but my Alima friends (Alims also) disagree with you. I don't think saying "screw you" in a post is particularly fitting for any Muslim to be writing. Especially an Alima.
I reiterate we all have opinions but I disagree with yours. Allah knows best.

message 92: by Cassandra (last edited Oct 03, 2013 06:21PM) (new)

Cassandra | 23 comments I don't disagree with most of your points Ira, but while hijab is considered Fard by the majority of scholars niqaab is considered wajib (recommended) or sunnah. It does not constitute sin on the person for not wearing it according to most madhabs. Of course it varies according to the different madhabs but, it is not a majority or unanimous rule.
http://rajulah.wordpress.com/2013/01/...
Secondly, it is according to everything I've ever read or heard forbidden to wear niqaab during Hajj or Umra based on authentic hadith that says a woman in a state of Ihram should not cover her face or hands.
http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/ind...
I completely agree that the "problems" it supposedly causes are largely due to people who perceive it as a problem and not the hijab/niqaab itself. In cases of security such as passport issuance, security checks, witness statements, anything in which verifying ones identity is necessary it can be a problem if the Muslim woman refuses to submit to showing her face for these reasons. Of course they should be able to ask for reasonable accommodation such as a female officer and/or a private viewing area but those unwilling to do such things are too rigid in their beliefs.

message 91: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Lameche p.s I know for a fact it has caused fear and mistrust as so many non Muslims have told me this and explained why they feel this way. So I am not sure which part you disagree with? asalaamualaikum

message 90: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Lameche Asalaamualaikum kenan. Some scholars say you have to wear it. However the MAJORITY say you don't. Yes they are most certainly more knowledgeable than me. It was the wives of the prophet (saw) who covered their faces. No one else. If you disagree then can you explain why during Haj the women are forbidden to cover their faces? Or why nearly all the scholars say your face and hands can be uncovered? There's no denying its causing so many problems in my country. It is most defiantly not a good form of dawah. Many of my friends wear it (Alimas included) but non of them say it is obligatory. I think you will find that those few scolars who say you must wear it also agree that passport control is a place where ot must be lifted.
So sorry I disagree with you. As it is not farz to wear it there is no need to wear it in places where your face needs to be seen.
I am not here to argue. The question was asked and I gave my opinion as you have given yours. I do not agree with yours and vica versa. Allah knows best.

message 89: by Kenan (new)

Kenan (keni_islami) Well sarah thats ur opinion but not the one of the Propher (s.a.w.s) his companions, his wifes and the scholars of Islam (the people who know better than u and me) from Tabi'in til' today.

message 88: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Lameche I personally think that the niqab has caused mistrust and even fear in our country. As much as you should be allowed to wear what you like there's a time and a place. Hospitals, court, passport control and schools. In my honest opinion facial expression plays a big part in certain situations. So no I don't think it should be worn everywhere.

message 87: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 23 comments I wear hijab and I love it. I own several abayas that I love but that's not the only thing I wear. sometimes I wear loose pants with long shirts. Sometimes I wear loose semi fitted shirts with long skirts. Whatever I feel like that day as long as it covers my body loosely and completely. I don't really wear niqaab but I have worn it as part of a bedouin costume that I wore to our local renaissance festival for their silk road/middle eastern themed weekend. I personally feel hijab is indeed a choice. Sometimes it is forced but this is not something that comes from Islam but from culture. Islam says no compulsion in religion. Yes, Allah requires hijab as in the Qur'an but that choice and intention to cover for Allah's sake and for our own sake has to come from our own hearts and our own belief in Allah and the hereafter. Without that faith and intention the hijab is meaningless. It is an outward projection of our inner faith and commitment to Islam. I won't go into it too much here but if anyone wants to read more of my personal thought about hijab you could read some of my quora answers about hijab and modest dress on Quora:
https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-dres...
https://www.quora.com/Islam/How-does-...
https://www.quora.com/Islam/What-does...
https://www.quora.com/Islam/How-do-Mu...
https://www.quora.com/Muslim-American...

message 86: by Berry (new)

Berry (Berryreads) | 1 comments I looove my hijab

message 85: by Namerah (new)

Namerah | 85 comments Most people misunderstand the meaning of Hijab. It doesn't necessarily mean wearing abaya and naqaab. Dressing has to be modest and hair has to be covered,thats all. Allah says: " And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like palms of hands or one eye or both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer dress like veil, gloves, head-cover, apron, etc.), and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms, etc.) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husband's sons, their brothers or their brother's sons, or their sister's sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islam), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allah to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful." -Surah An-Nur verse no.31

message 84: by Namerah (new)

Namerah | 85 comments Saturnus wrote: "Namerah wrote: "Saturnus wrote: "I don't where anything like that.
When the guy who introduced Islam to me told me about it, he said Koran didnt say you need to where. Yes it says you should not b..."

i'm sorry, i was just trying to help you out,i didn't think u would be offended or anything.

message 83: by Nagwa (new)

Nagwa | 352 comments Mod
Saturnus
I don't think Maya or Namerah were trying to be mean or jump on you. You just made it seem that the guy that introduced you to Islam is you're only source, that you think he's right when you should check to make sure you're information is correct

message 82: by Saturnus (new)

Saturnus Namerah wrote: "Saturnus wrote: "I don't where anything like that.
When the guy who introduced Islam to me told me about it, he said Koran didnt say you need to where. Yes it says you should not be showing to muc..."

Be nice read my other post.
Ive read it, I dont have question about anything.

message 81: by Saturnus (new)

Saturnus Maya wrote: ".... He said that... Listen it is full heartedly your choice but the guy who introduced you to Islam is lacking in some sources . I will find ayahs and post em here to let you know that it is requi..."

First of all, he was just my first my first sourse. Second Ive read the Quran. I know what ive read.

And I said its just what I think, so dont jump on my back, you do what you want, i dont care and I thought since we are all muslims we could talk about how we see our religion but if its not like that I better jump of this group.

message 80: by Namerah (new)

Namerah | 85 comments Saturnus wrote: "I don't where anything like that.
When the guy who introduced Islam to me told me about it, he said Koran didnt say you need to where. Yes it says you should not be showing to much, but it never s..."

the simplest way for you is just read the Quran in english translation,better than going around asking people and then you won't be sure whether the information you got is right or not:)

message 79: by Maya (new)

Maya  (Mayaadorkable) | 200 comments .... He said that... Listen it is full heartedly your choice but the guy who introduced you to Islam is lacking in some sources . I will find ayahs and post em here to let you know that it is required. Very important advice don't rely on one person. It is very important to educate yourself, be curious go around and ask and ask for back up proof. Like where it states in the Quran. And if is a Hadith ask from where they got the Hadith from because sometimes it can be false or not.

message 78: by Saturnus (new)

Saturnus I don't where anything like that.
When the guy who introduced Islam to me told me about it, he said Koran didnt say you need to where. Yes it says you should not be showing to much, but it never said you should have hiijab or anything like that.
So I choose not to. I believe and do everything God says, but when he doesnt say I have to do that, then I dont see why should I.

But thats just what I think.

message 77: by Maya (new)

Maya  (Mayaadorkable) | 200 comments @Jumana It's all good no hard feelings

message 76: by Namerah (new)

Namerah | 85 comments Jumana wrote: "Salam sisters I'm so so sorry I was reading the comments others left and I read the comments all wrong. I tried to delete my comment after I posted it but I'm guessing it didn't delete. I hope that..."

everyone makes mistake,including us:) we're here for friendly discussion, not to bite each others' heads off:P

message 75: by Jumana (new)

Jumana (JumanaJ) | 4 comments Salam sisters I'm so so sorry I was reading the comments others left and I read the comments all wrong. I tried to delete my comment after I posted it but I'm guessing it didn't delete. I hope that you did not get offended. I just get upset with how our culture and deen is changing. That's all. Jazakallah

message 74: by Maya (new)

Maya  (Mayaadorkable) | 200 comments listen we didn't say hijab in general looks like the hair. First click on the link that's above. I didn't say its haram or halal I said in my opinion that style of hijab makes the hijab loose its meaning in a way. the girl makes her hijab look like hair even thought its not her hair. it's like what's the point or goal to make your hijab look like a wig?
The point in wearing a hijab is to cover your beauty your hair. And making a hijab like a wig it's confusing and I see no point in it. There are many ways to be stylish wearing the hijab just that way seems a bit bizarre . I have a right to my opinion and I know my religion. No offense you come off towards us is in a negative way.
It feels like that maybe that's my your intention but I guess that's what sucks with Internet. You read words and don't know the true dialect behind it.

"Allah is beautiful and loves beauty " I remember this Hadith hopefully I translated it right. there's nothing wrong with fashion just depends on your limits but I don't feel like going in detail.

message 73: by Namerah (new)

Namerah | 85 comments yeah i agree with Maya,whats the point of covering up your hair if ur hijab is shaped like hair.the whole point is lost

message 72: by Maya (new)

Maya  (Mayaadorkable) | 200 comments Wig*

message 71: by Maya (new)

Maya  (Mayaadorkable) | 200 comments The hijab wing it defeats the whole purpose why impersonate u have hair? Listen I love fashion I don't have anything against being stylish with your hijab but I do believe there are limits and this style surpasses the limit. plus it doesn't even look good

message 70: by Namerah (new)

Namerah | 85 comments hijab is supposed to cover the beauty of a woman,much like a pearl is hidden in a shell. its not a fashion statement.

message 69: by Nagwa (new)

Nagwa | 352 comments Mod
What do you guys think of this new style called Hijaab Wig?
http://muslimahanie.com/home/?p=1585

message 68: by Namerah (new)

Namerah | 85 comments Maya wrote: "who doesnt like that? i think ignorant will remain ignorant. when the curious will always seek answers."

yeah,you nailed it:)

message 67: by Maya (new)

Maya  (Mayaadorkable) | 200 comments who doesnt like that? i think ignorant will remain ignorant. when the curious will always seek answers.

message 66: by Nagwa (new)

Nagwa | 352 comments Mod
(i know Ira wrote this in one of her blogs) I like the people who smile when they see me in the hijab instead of just gawking. or the people who ask questions and are truly curious about my culture and religion.

message 65: by Maya (new)

Maya  (Mayaadorkable) | 200 comments my cousin was walking to her moms car when some idiot boy ran behind her and pulled her hijab.stupid kid . Maskeena she couldn't even turn back to yell at him she just ran to the car . ( she was walking across the street )

message 64: by [deleted user] (new)

oh ok thats good....i would get so pissed if there was boys there too. i would sock her

message 63: by Nagwa (new)

Nagwa | 352 comments Mod
She was joking around. Just I wasn't laughing. But good we were in the gym with girls only

message 62: by Namerah (new)

Namerah | 85 comments Confidence wrote: "My hijab has slipped out and my hair has came out many times. And once some girl pulled it off. I was so pissed."

y did she do that?

message 61: by Nagwa (new)

Nagwa | 352 comments Mod
My hijab has slipped out and my hair has came out many times. And once some girl pulled it off. I was so pissed.

message 60: by [deleted user] (new)

haha when i feel my hair fall i make my friend hold my hair up as i walk to the bathroom

message 59: by Maya (new)

Maya  (Mayaadorkable) | 200 comments Saleha-well said

Confidence - my god one time I felt my hair slip down I was in panic mode thank god my hijab was the longer kind and I was wearing my sweater .

Fadhilah Fitri  (fadhilahfitri) | 2 comments When I was 5, I didn't want to go to school unless my pre-school has a hijaab with its uniform XD

message 57: by Mariya (new)

Mariya | 28 comments that isnt pathetic its actually amazing that u have such a spirit.

message 56: by Jia (new)

Jia yousuf | 25 comments Ҳǫҳǫvąɱƥįŗęɠįŗɭ wrote: "yeah lol i chose to wear it in that time. i wanted to...IDK WHY!! lol im pathetic"

nothing's pathetic my cousin who is 2nd started it too....

message 55: by [deleted user] (new)

yeah lol i chose to wear it in that time. i wanted to...IDK WHY!! lol im pathetic

message 54: by Mariya (new)

Mariya | 28 comments thats early eh?

message 53: by [deleted user] (new)

I started wearing a hijab when I was in 2nd grade.

message 52: by Jia (new)

Jia yousuf | 25 comments i wear hijaab and burka ....i wear it 2 school and everywhere i go...its so much important that i feel naked without it lol!!!i did it by choice...first i did not want to wear it school but then i changed my view one of my friend explained me and i thought nothing is better than your own safety so i started wearing it.....

BTW the poem is awesome i lyk it!:D

Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ (Numey_Cats7) Kristina Ivashkov wrote: "What do you see when you look at me,

Do you see someone limited, or someone free,

All some people can do is just look and stare,
Simply because they can't see my hair,

Others think I am con..."

Am I allowed to love every poem? :D

Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ (Numey_Cats7) I wear the head scarf occasionally...

message 49: by Mariya (new)

Mariya | 28 comments Woooow Kris thats a lot of info but here is how it works Danna women must cover their heads and body because Allah said so in Quran Allah said that covering your face is a matter of choice but not forced as long as u have the intentions to cover ur entire body but if u are forced to do so Allah does not count it. Men must have the respect to women and look down when a woman is infront of him that also concenrns women not to try and get any attention.

Kristina Ivashkov  (man-u4kb) | 142 comments Oh no thats not true, if womens are told to cover up, then men are told to keep their gazes low and respect womens rights!

And just for you i went and did some research lol (hope it helps)

"Why do Muslim women have to cover their heads?" This question is one which is asked by Muslim and non-Muslim alike. For many women it is the truest test of being a Muslim.

The answer to the question is very simple - Muslim women observe HIJAB (covering the head and the body) because Allah has told them to do so.

"O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters and the believing women to draw their outer garments around them (when they go out or are among men). That is better in order that they may be known (to be Muslims) and not annoyed..." [Noble Quran 33:59]

Other secondary reasons include the requirement for modesty in both men and women. Both will then be evaluated for intelligence and skills instead of looks and sexuality. An Iranian school girl is quoted as saying, "We want to stop men from treating us like sex objects, as they have always done. We want them to ignore our appearance and to be attentive to our personalities and mind. We want them to take us seriously and treat us as equals and not just chase us around for our bodies and physical looks." A Muslim woman who covers her head is making a statement about her identity. Anyone who sees her will know that she is a Muslim and has a good moral character. Many Muslim women who cover are filled with dignity and self esteem; they are pleased to be identified as a Muslim woman. As a chaste, modest, pure woman, she does not want her sexuality to enter into interactions with men in the smallest degree. A woman who covers herself is concealing her sexuality but allowing her femininity to be brought out.

The question of Hijab for Muslim women has been a controversy for centuries and will probably continue for many more. Some learned people do not consider the subject open to discussion and consider that covering the face is required, while a majority are of the opinion that it is not required. A middle line position is taken by some who claim that the instructions are vague and open to individual discretion depending on the situation. The wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) were required to cover their faces so that men would not think of them in sexual terms since they were the "Mothers of the Believers," but this requirement was not extended to other women.

The word "Hijab" comes from the Arabic word "hajaba" meaning to hide from view or conceal. In the present time, the context of Hijab is the modest covering of a Muslim woman. The question now is what is the extent of the covering? The Quran says:

"Say to the believing man that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that will make for greater purity for them; and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do. And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; and that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands..." [Noble Quran 24:30-31]

These verses from the Quran contain two main injunctions:

A woman should not show her beauty or adornments except what appears by uncontrolled factors such as the wind blowing her clothes, and

the head covers should be drawn so as to cover the hair, the neck and the bosom.

Islam has no fixed standard as to the style of dress or type of clothing that Muslims must wear. However, some requirements must be met. The first of these requirements is the parts of the body which must be covered. Islam has two sources for guidance and rulings: first, the Quran, the revealed word of Allah and secondly, the Hadith or the traditions of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) who was chosen by Allah to be the role model for mankind. The following is a Tradition of the Prophet:

"Ayshah reported that Asma' the daughter of Abu Bakr came to the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asma'! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not properthat anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to theface and hands." [Abu Dawud]

The second requirement is looseness. The clothing must be loose enough so as not to describe the shape of the woman's body. One desirable way to hide the shape of the body is to wear a cloak over other clothes. However, if the clothing is loose enough, an outer garment is not necessary. Thickness is the third requirement. The clothing must be thick enough so as not to show the color of the skin it covers or the shape of the body. The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) stated that in later generations of his Ummah there would be

"women who would be dressed but naked and on top of their heads (what looks like) camel humps. Curse them for they are truly cursed." [Muslim]

Another requirement is an over-all dignified appearance. The clothing should not attract men's attention to the woman. It should not be shiny and flashy so that everyone notices the dress and the woman. In addition there are other requirements:

Women must not dress so as to appear as men.

"Ibn Abbas narrated: 'The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) cursed the men who appear like women and the women who appear like men.'" [Bukhari]

Women should not dress in a way similar to the unbelievers.

The clothing should be modest, not excessively fancy and also not excessively ragged to gain others admiration or sympathy.

Often forgotten is the fact that modern Western dress is a new invention. Looking at the clothing of women as recently as seventy years ago, we see clothing similar to Hijab. These active and hard-working women of the West were not inhibited by their clothing which consisted of long, full dresses and various types of head covering. Muslim women who wear Hijab do not find it impractical or interfering with their activities in all levels and walks of life. Hijab is not merely a covering dress but more importantly, it is behavior, manners, speech and appearance in public. Dress is only one facet of the total being. The basic requirement of the Muslim woman's dress apply to the Muslim man's clothing with the difference being mainly in degree. Modesty requires that the area between the navel and the knee be covered in front of all people except the wife. The clothing of men should not be like the dress of women, nor should it be tight or provocative. A Muslim should dress to show his identity as a Muslim. Men are not allowed to wear gold or silk. However, both are allowed for women.

For both men and women, clothing requirements are not meant to be a restriction but rather a way in which society will function in a proper, Islamic manner.

« previous 1
unread topics | mark unread