Muslim Community discussion

129 views
Islam > The Hijaab, the Niqab, and the Abaya

Comments (showing 1-50 of 102) (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Nagwa (last edited Mar 30, 2013 02:21AM) (new)

Nagwa | 352 comments Mod
As a Muslim woman, we have the choice to cover up with the hijab (aka head scarf), the niqab (aka burka or viel), and/or Abaya (aka jilbab or cloak). Do u wear any of these? and what do u think that the wearing the niqab in public should be banned everywhere? What are your views in general on how Muslim women should dress?

Hijab


Niqab


Abaya



message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I wear all three, and I wore it by choice.


message 3: by Kristina B (new)

Kristina B (man-u4kb) | 142 comments i wear a Burka and a head scarf when i go out! and i think eevryone should be allowed to wear what they like! i believe in equality!


message 4: by Kristina B (new)

Kristina B (man-u4kb) | 142 comments What do you see when you look at me,

Do you see someone limited, or someone free,

All some people can do is just look and stare,
...
Simply because they can't see my hair,

Others think I am controlled and uneducated,

They are so thankful that they are not me,

Because they would like to remain ‘free’,

Well free isn’t exactly the word I would’ve used,

Describing women who are cheated on and abused,

They think that I do not have opinions or voice,

They think that being hooded isn’t my choice,

They think that the hood makes me look caged,

That my husband or dad is totally outraged,

All they can do is look at me in fear,

And in my eye there is a tear,

Not because I have been stared at or made fun of,

But because people are ignoring the One up above,

On the Day of Judgment they will be the fools,

Because they were too ashamed to play by their own rules,

Maybe the guys won’t think I am a cutie,

But at least I am filled with more inner beauty,

See I have declined from being a guy’s toy,

Because I won’t let my self be controlled by a boy,

Real men are able to appreciate my mind,

And aren’t busy looking at my behind,

Hooded girls are the ones really helping the Muslim cause,

The role that we play definitely deserves applause,

I will be recognized because I am smart and bright,

And because some people are inspired by my sight,

The smart ones are attracted by my tranquility,

In the back of their mind they wish they were me,

We have the strength to do what we think is right,

Even if it means putting up a life long fight,

You see we are not controlled by a mini skirt and tight shirt,

We are given only respect, and never treated like dirt,

So you see, we are the ones that are free and liberated,

We are not the ones that are sexually terrorized and violated,

We are the ones that are free and pure,

We’re free of standard’s that have no cure,

So when people ask you how you feel about the hood,

Just sum it up by saying ‘baby its all good’


message 5: by Kristina B (new)

Kristina B (man-u4kb) | 142 comments me too! its touching right?


message 6: by Nagwa (new)

Nagwa | 352 comments Mod
First time I've heard that poem. It's brilliant! I'm gonna copy and paste it to my comp so I can always read it


message 7: by Kristina B (new)

Kristina B (man-u4kb) | 142 comments Hira wrote: "Very. I've read this poem like 50 times in the past 6 yrs. LOL sorry to burst your bubble"

nah its ok mate my bubble is still intact! aint that weak LOL:PP


message 8: by Nagwa (new)

Nagwa | 352 comments Mod
Lol


message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Great poem! First time reading it


message 10: by Kristina B (new)

Kristina B (man-u4kb) | 142 comments LOLZ!!


message 11: by Joy (new)

Joy  | 146 comments I seriously don't think some Muslim women have that choice of wearing any of these items...some are being forced. (not trying to angry anyone just stating my opinion)


message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

^ true. It's kinda like a family choice, so if u don't want to wear them.. Well u have to. Like whenever I get to Yemen I'll have to wear them.


message 13: by Joy (new)

Joy  | 146 comments that's exactly what I mean..thanks Mariam

some of us don't really have a choice!


message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Joy wrote: "that's exactly what I mean..thanks Mariam

some of us don't really have a choice!"


No probs.

It all depends on what the family in whole thinks its best, so tha means when I'm done with school/ or go back to Yemen I'm going to be wearing them. I'm not really complaining though I don't have a problem with it personally.


message 15: by Joy (new)

Joy  | 146 comments Where are you now? Are you in America?


message 16: by Nagwa (new)

Nagwa | 352 comments Mod
I wear the hijab and I'm ok with it but I don't like wearing the burka and the abaya. I don't feel comfortable. And I've heard that I must wear it in Yemen. If u don't u get criticized


message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Joy wrote: "Where are you now? Are you in America?"

Yeah I am.


message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Confidence wrote: "I wear the hijab and I'm ok with it but I don't like wearing the burka and the abaya. I don't feel comfortable. And I've heard that I must wear it in Yemen. If u don't u get criticized"

U do get critized


message 19: by Kristina B (new)

Kristina B (man-u4kb) | 142 comments I love wearing the Burka i feel naked without it! its like im obsessed with it lol <3


message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read it, and I know it is a choice(supposed to be a choice) a lot of women choose, but theyr are women who don't get the option to make that decision.


message 21: by Namerah (new)

Namerah | 85 comments ♥ Kristina ♥ Ivashkov ♥ wrote: "I love wearing the Burka i feel naked without it! its like im obsessed with it lol <3"

same here=)


message 22: by Kristina B (new)

Kristina B (man-u4kb) | 142 comments Kool!


message 23: by Nagwa (new)

Nagwa | 352 comments Mod
I don't like it bc I'm not used to it. And I'm claustrophobic! I can't breathe under it!!!


message 24: by Joy (new)

Joy  | 146 comments @Hira...I apologize before hand if anything I say might come off as me being rude.

So I read what you had to say..but I'm sorry to have to disagree with you. Not all Muslim women have the choices that you're talking about. Some of us (I'm not going to say the word forced)don't even get the option of choosing when to wear them or if we wanted to or not.

"One time I took out the trash without wearing a hijab, thinking that it might be okay because no one is outside and I had a hoody on. But my uncle was so displeased with what I have done. He told me that i'm not allowed to go outside without my hijab on..not even to the backyard. and from that day on..i've always worn a hijab even to go outside to my BACKYARD!"

My point is...my choice of wearing it was taken away. I didn't get a choice. I had NO choice but to wear it. don't get me wrong..I love wearing it and i would feel naked without it. It's just that..i had no choice.

But you say that we have a choice...how sure are you about that? can you honestly tell me that if one day you decided that you didn't want to wear the hijab; that your parents will support your decision?


message 25: by Namerah (new)

Namerah | 85 comments exactly.but ur choice must still be the same(obviously).what matters is that u chose it,not other people for u


message 26: by Joy (new)

Joy  | 146 comments you made some great points there...

I don't think that we do as they tell us because we respect them...I think it's more like...we fear them. I think that some of us are a little afraid of the consequences of not obeying their wishes.


message 27: by Joy (new)

Joy  | 146 comments to be honest with you, i like wearing the hijab. i just wish the my parents and family could have gave me the option of deciding when to wear it and other things like the abaya. I'm just saying that some of us don't have the choice that you had. and i guess that might be our fault but being told of what happens to women who don't obey..kind of terrifies you.


message 28: by Zara (last edited Mar 18, 2012 09:38PM) (new)

Zara (ZaraSaud) | 5 comments my family didnt have to force me coz in the country i live it is compulsory but it is nothing uncomfortable or whatvere and it shouldnt be either coz we are supposed to do hijab according to the sunnah


message 29: by Nagwa (new)

Nagwa | 352 comments Mod
Has anyone ever had a dream of going to school without a hijab and was freaking out?


message 30: by Kristina B (new)

Kristina B (man-u4kb) | 142 comments lol no! why have u?


message 31: by Nagwa (new)

Nagwa | 352 comments Mod
yeah. you know how people say they have nightmares about going to school and looking down and they have no clothes on? well this is the dream i always get. its kinda scary! idk y lol


message 32: by LucidVerity (new)

LucidVerity (faruques) While some girls may feel forced to wear hijab, it's important to remember that being forced to do anything is not a part of Islam.

Islam regards individuals responsible for their own actions. I'm sorry to hear of girls who feel forced to be modest, this is a misguided way of presenting the hijab to one's children.

But as a piece of advice from one Muslim sister to my fellow Muslim sisters (and brothers!), we should always try to represent Islam accurately. So taking the focus off the hijab- when telling tales of any negative experiences with parents and relatives concerning religion, remember that non-Muslims always attribute such stories to Islam being oppressive and anti-women, which is obviously not true.

Sorry, this message isn't directed at anyone in particular, nor did I mean for it to sound mean spirited whatsoever InshAllah :) I just wanted to make a distinction between religion and cultural acts. It's true that a lot of girls are not presented with a choice, but this is not the Islamic way.

"There shall be no compulsion in the religion." -Quran 2:256


message 33: by Kristina B (new)

Kristina B (man-u4kb) | 142 comments Saleha wrote: "While some girls may feel forced to wear hijab, it's important to remember that being forced to do anything is not a part of Islam.

Islam regards individuals responsible for their own actions. I'..."


I salute u mate! cuz thats EXACTLY how i feel! <3<3<3 lol


message 34: by Zara (new)

Zara (ZaraSaud) | 5 comments Confidence wrote: "yeah. you know how people say they have nightmares about going to school and looking down and they have no clothes on? well this is the dream i always get. its kinda scary! idk y lol"

totally same here:)


message 35: by Nagwa (new)

Nagwa | 352 comments Mod
@Zara Great so I'm not alone haha


message 36: by Alya (new)

Alya  (Alyaaaa) | 18 comments the poem "What do you see when you look at me,

Do you see someone limited, or someone free,

All some people can do is just look and stare,
... " is sooo good and inspirational :'D thank you Kristina Ivashkov it's beautiful :D


message 37: by Kristina B (new)

Kristina B (man-u4kb) | 142 comments Alya :) wrote: "the poem "What do you see when you look at me,

Do you see someone limited, or someone free,

All some people can do is just look and stare,
... " is sooo good and inspirational :'D thank you Kris..."


ur most welcome mate :D


message 38: by Alya (new)

Alya  (Alyaaaa) | 18 comments :D i love writing poems but mine are never as good as yours! well done xx


message 39: by Kristina B (new)

Kristina B (man-u4kb) | 142 comments really thats nice! lol i didnt write it myself, found it on Facebook, so i thought i'll share it evereyone on GR! but glad u liked it!


message 40: by Kristina B (new)

Kristina B (man-u4kb) | 142 comments Thanks anyway <3


message 41: by Joy (new)

Joy  | 146 comments <3 <- what is that? your butt on a cone? :D:D


message 42: by Kristina B (new)

Kristina B (man-u4kb) | 142 comments Joy wrote: "<3 <- what is that? your butt on a cone? :D:D"

Its ur mouth next to ur a**!


message 43: by Maya (new)

Maya  (Mayaadorkable) | 200 comments i wear a hijab . everyone has a choice to wear whatever they like. in the end it only counts if its truly from your heart. what annoys me is when another Muslim asks me if im wearing it because i want to or because my parents made me. its like come on really?! i just tell them i love it and im happy my parents influenced me.


message 44: by liTTleTalks (new)

liTTleTalks (liTTkeTalks) I only wear a hajiab for namaz and quaran


message 45: by Amarice (new)

Amarice I think they're nice sometimes, but are extremely degrading women. Being "modestly wear" and not "eye catching" are extremely outraging and I think the idea is the worst!


message 46: by Kristina B (new)

Kristina B (man-u4kb) | 142 comments How is it degrading?


message 47: by Amarice (new)

Amarice by seperating men and women. Men aren't covering themselves up, and therefore this is con-equality.


message 48: by Kristina B (new)

Kristina B (man-u4kb) | 142 comments Oh no thats not true, if womens are told to cover up, then men are told to keep their gazes low and respect womens rights!

And just for you i went and did some research lol (hope it helps)

"Why do Muslim women have to cover their heads?" This question is one which is asked by Muslim and non-Muslim alike. For many women it is the truest test of being a Muslim.

The answer to the question is very simple - Muslim women observe HIJAB (covering the head and the body) because Allah has told them to do so.

"O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters and the believing women to draw their outer garments around them (when they go out or are among men). That is better in order that they may be known (to be Muslims) and not annoyed..." [Noble Quran 33:59]

Other secondary reasons include the requirement for modesty in both men and women. Both will then be evaluated for intelligence and skills instead of looks and sexuality. An Iranian school girl is quoted as saying, "We want to stop men from treating us like sex objects, as they have always done. We want them to ignore our appearance and to be attentive to our personalities and mind. We want them to take us seriously and treat us as equals and not just chase us around for our bodies and physical looks." A Muslim woman who covers her head is making a statement about her identity. Anyone who sees her will know that she is a Muslim and has a good moral character. Many Muslim women who cover are filled with dignity and self esteem; they are pleased to be identified as a Muslim woman. As a chaste, modest, pure woman, she does not want her sexuality to enter into interactions with men in the smallest degree. A woman who covers herself is concealing her sexuality but allowing her femininity to be brought out.

The question of Hijab for Muslim women has been a controversy for centuries and will probably continue for many more. Some learned people do not consider the subject open to discussion and consider that covering the face is required, while a majority are of the opinion that it is not required. A middle line position is taken by some who claim that the instructions are vague and open to individual discretion depending on the situation. The wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) were required to cover their faces so that men would not think of them in sexual terms since they were the "Mothers of the Believers," but this requirement was not extended to other women.

The word "Hijab" comes from the Arabic word "hajaba" meaning to hide from view or conceal. In the present time, the context of Hijab is the modest covering of a Muslim woman. The question now is what is the extent of the covering? The Quran says:

"Say to the believing man that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that will make for greater purity for them; and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do. And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; and that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands..." [Noble Quran 24:30-31]

These verses from the Quran contain two main injunctions:

A woman should not show her beauty or adornments except what appears by uncontrolled factors such as the wind blowing her clothes, and

the head covers should be drawn so as to cover the hair, the neck and the bosom.

Islam has no fixed standard as to the style of dress or type of clothing that Muslims must wear. However, some requirements must be met. The first of these requirements is the parts of the body which must be covered. Islam has two sources for guidance and rulings: first, the Quran, the revealed word of Allah and secondly, the Hadith or the traditions of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) who was chosen by Allah to be the role model for mankind. The following is a Tradition of the Prophet:

"Ayshah reported that Asma' the daughter of Abu Bakr came to the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asma'! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not properthat anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to theface and hands." [Abu Dawud]

The second requirement is looseness. The clothing must be loose enough so as not to describe the shape of the woman's body. One desirable way to hide the shape of the body is to wear a cloak over other clothes. However, if the clothing is loose enough, an outer garment is not necessary. Thickness is the third requirement. The clothing must be thick enough so as not to show the color of the skin it covers or the shape of the body. The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) stated that in later generations of his Ummah there would be

"women who would be dressed but naked and on top of their heads (what looks like) camel humps. Curse them for they are truly cursed." [Muslim]

Another requirement is an over-all dignified appearance. The clothing should not attract men's attention to the woman. It should not be shiny and flashy so that everyone notices the dress and the woman. In addition there are other requirements:

Women must not dress so as to appear as men.

"Ibn Abbas narrated: 'The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) cursed the men who appear like women and the women who appear like men.'" [Bukhari]

Women should not dress in a way similar to the unbelievers.

The clothing should be modest, not excessively fancy and also not excessively ragged to gain others admiration or sympathy.

Often forgotten is the fact that modern Western dress is a new invention. Looking at the clothing of women as recently as seventy years ago, we see clothing similar to Hijab. These active and hard-working women of the West were not inhibited by their clothing which consisted of long, full dresses and various types of head covering. Muslim women who wear Hijab do not find it impractical or interfering with their activities in all levels and walks of life. Hijab is not merely a covering dress but more importantly, it is behavior, manners, speech and appearance in public. Dress is only one facet of the total being. The basic requirement of the Muslim woman's dress apply to the Muslim man's clothing with the difference being mainly in degree. Modesty requires that the area between the navel and the knee be covered in front of all people except the wife. The clothing of men should not be like the dress of women, nor should it be tight or provocative. A Muslim should dress to show his identity as a Muslim. Men are not allowed to wear gold or silk. However, both are allowed for women.

For both men and women, clothing requirements are not meant to be a restriction but rather a way in which society will function in a proper, Islamic manner.


message 49: by Mariya (new)

Mariya | 28 comments Woooow Kris thats a lot of info but here is how it works Danna women must cover their heads and body because Allah said so in Quran Allah said that covering your face is a matter of choice but not forced as long as u have the intentions to cover ur entire body but if u are forced to do so Allah does not count it. Men must have the respect to women and look down when a woman is infront of him that also concenrns women not to try and get any attention.


❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (BerryNumey) I wear the head scarf occasionally...


« previous 1 3
back to top

unread topics | mark unread