Muslim Community discussion

Islam > The Hijaab, the Niqab, and the Abaya

Comments (showing 1-50 of 114) (114 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Nagwa (last edited Mar 30, 2013 02:21AM) (new)

Nagwa | 349 comments Mod
As a Muslim woman, we have the choice to cover up with the hijab (aka head scarf), the niqab (aka burka or viel), and/or Abaya (aka jilbab or cloak). Do u wear any of these? and what do u think that the wearing the niqab in public should be banned everywhere? What are your views in general on how Muslim women should dress?

Hijab
[image error]

Niqab

Abaya
[image error]

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I wear all three, and I wore it by choice.

Kristina Ivashkov  (man-u4kb) | 142 comments i wear a Burka and a head scarf when i go out! and i think eevryone should be allowed to wear what they like! i believe in equality!

Kristina Ivashkov  (man-u4kb) | 142 comments What do you see when you look at me,

Do you see someone limited, or someone free,

All some people can do is just look and stare,
Simply because they can't see my hair,

Others think I am controlled and uneducated,

They are so thankful that they are not me,

Because they would like to remain ‘free’,

Well free isn’t exactly the word I would’ve used,

Describing women who are cheated on and abused,

They think that I do not have opinions or voice,

They think that being hooded isn’t my choice,

They think that the hood makes me look caged,

That my husband or dad is totally outraged,

All they can do is look at me in fear,

And in my eye there is a tear,

Not because I have been stared at or made fun of,

But because people are ignoring the One up above,

On the Day of Judgment they will be the fools,

Because they were too ashamed to play by their own rules,

Maybe the guys won’t think I am a cutie,

But at least I am filled with more inner beauty,

See I have declined from being a guy’s toy,

Because I won’t let my self be controlled by a boy,

Real men are able to appreciate my mind,

And aren’t busy looking at my behind,

Hooded girls are the ones really helping the Muslim cause,

The role that we play definitely deserves applause,

I will be recognized because I am smart and bright,

And because some people are inspired by my sight,

The smart ones are attracted by my tranquility,

In the back of their mind they wish they were me,

We have the strength to do what we think is right,

Even if it means putting up a life long fight,

You see we are not controlled by a mini skirt and tight shirt,

We are given only respect, and never treated like dirt,

So you see, we are the ones that are free and liberated,

We are not the ones that are sexually terrorized and violated,

We are the ones that are free and pure,

We’re free of standard’s that have no cure,

So when people ask you how you feel about the hood,

Just sum it up by saying ‘baby its all good’

message 5: by Ira, The Aalimah (new)

Ira | 328 comments Mod
I love that poem

Kristina Ivashkov  (man-u4kb) | 142 comments me too! its touching right?

message 7: by Ira, The Aalimah (new)

Ira | 328 comments Mod
Very. I've read this poem like 50 times in the past 6 yrs. LOL sorry to burst your bubble

Nagwa | 349 comments Mod
First time I've heard that poem. It's brilliant! I'm gonna copy and paste it to my comp so I can always read it

Kristina Ivashkov  (man-u4kb) | 142 comments Hira wrote: "Very. I've read this poem like 50 times in the past 6 yrs. LOL sorry to burst your bubble"

nah its ok mate my bubble is still intact! aint that weak LOL:PP

Nagwa | 349 comments Mod
Lol

message 11: by Ira, The Aalimah (new)

Ira | 328 comments Mod
LOL I see

Mariam of the Yemen (JacemineWayland) | 171 comments Great poem! First time reading it

Joy  | 146 comments I seriously don't think some Muslim women have that choice of wearing any of these items...some are being forced. (not trying to angry anyone just stating my opinion)

Mariam of the Yemen (JacemineWayland) | 171 comments ^ true. It's kinda like a family choice, so if u don't want to wear them.. Well u have to. Like whenever I get to Yemen I'll have to wear them.

Joy  | 146 comments that's exactly what I mean..thanks Mariam

some of us don't really have a choice!

Mariam of the Yemen (JacemineWayland) | 171 comments Joy wrote: "that's exactly what I mean..thanks Mariam

some of us don't really have a choice!"

No probs.

It all depends on what the family in whole thinks its best, so tha means when I'm done with school/ or go back to Yemen I'm going to be wearing them. I'm not really complaining though I don't have a problem with it personally.

Joy  | 146 comments Where are you now? Are you in America?

Nagwa | 349 comments Mod
I wear the hijab and I'm ok with it but I don't like wearing the burka and the abaya. I don't feel comfortable. And I've heard that I must wear it in Yemen. If u don't u get criticized

Mariam of the Yemen (JacemineWayland) | 171 comments Joy wrote: "Where are you now? Are you in America?"

Yeah I am.

Mariam of the Yemen (JacemineWayland) | 171 comments Confidence wrote: "I wear the hijab and I'm ok with it but I don't like wearing the burka and the abaya. I don't feel comfortable. And I've heard that I must wear it in Yemen. If u don't u get criticized"

U do get critized

Kristina Ivashkov  (man-u4kb) | 142 comments I love wearing the Burka i feel naked without it! its like im obsessed with it lol <3

message 23: by Ira, The Aalimah (new)

Ira | 328 comments Mod
Joy wrote: "I seriously don't think some Muslim women have that choice of wearing any of these items...some are being forced. (not trying to angry anyone just stating my opinion)"

I'd really appreciate it if you and everyone else in this group read this.

http://themyesterioumuslimahshaven.bl...

Mariam of the Yemen (JacemineWayland) | 171 comments I've read it, and I know it is a choice(supposed to be a choice) a lot of women choose, but theyr are women who don't get the option to make that decision.

message 25: by Ira, The Aalimah (new)

Ira | 328 comments Mod
If you say so. You guys must know better.

Namerah | 85 comments ♥ Kristina ♥ Ivashkov ♥ wrote: "I love wearing the Burka i feel naked without it! its like im obsessed with it lol <3"

same here=)

Nagwa | 349 comments Mod
I don't like it bc I'm not used to it. And I'm claustrophobic! I can't breathe under it!!!

Joy  | 146 comments @Hira...I apologize before hand if anything I say might come off as me being rude.

So I read what you had to say..but I'm sorry to have to disagree with you. Not all Muslim women have the choices that you're talking about. Some of us (I'm not going to say the word forced)don't even get the option of choosing when to wear them or if we wanted to or not.

"One time I took out the trash without wearing a hijab, thinking that it might be okay because no one is outside and I had a hoody on. But my uncle was so displeased with what I have done. He told me that i'm not allowed to go outside without my hijab on..not even to the backyard. and from that day on..i've always worn a hijab even to go outside to my BACKYARD!"

My point is...my choice of wearing it was taken away. I didn't get a choice. I had NO choice but to wear it. don't get me wrong..I love wearing it and i would feel naked without it. It's just that..i had no choice.

But you say that we have a choice...how sure are you about that? can you honestly tell me that if one day you decided that you didn't want to wear the hijab; that your parents will support your decision?

message 30: by Ira, The Aalimah (new)

Ira | 328 comments Mod
Joy the problem here is that society has made it obligatory on you. Like you read, I wasn't forced. I chose it. Women have choices. Your father or brother or uncle do not have to make the choices for you. You can choose. But because we respect our elders, cuz of society YOU and other Arabs ( no offense) are forced. I don't mean to be rude or anything but I'm trying to prove a point. YOU and ALL women HAVE choices.

Namerah | 85 comments exactly.but ur choice must still be the same(obviously).what matters is that u chose it,not other people for u

Joy  | 146 comments you made some great points there...

I don't think that we do as they tell us because we respect them...I think it's more like...we fear them. I think that some of us are a little afraid of the consequences of not obeying their wishes.

message 33: by Ira, The Aalimah (new)

Ira | 328 comments Mod
Well that too. I know what it is to fear a father- he might've not forced me to wear it but once I did... It's hard. But it takes to time to practice and then to become perfect. But it all depends on your intention. Theres a Hadith that's been narrated by Umar ( r.a) that nabi (s.a.w) said: all actions depend on your intention. May Allah forgive me if there was anything more or less said in the Hadith. So now it's abt choices and intention. What's your intentention? Decide that then think of what's your choice. See if your heart is content then.

Joy  | 146 comments to be honest with you, i like wearing the hijab. i just wish the my parents and family could have gave me the option of deciding when to wear it and other things like the abaya. I'm just saying that some of us don't have the choice that you had. and i guess that might be our fault but being told of what happens to women who don't obey..kind of terrifies you.

message 35: by Zara (last edited Mar 18, 2012 09:38PM) (new)

Zara (ZaraSaud) | 5 comments my family didnt have to force me coz in the country i live it is compulsory but it is nothing uncomfortable or whatvere and it shouldnt be either coz we are supposed to do hijab according to the sunnah

message 36: by Ira, The Aalimah (new)

Ira | 328 comments Mod
Joy wrote: "to be honest with you, i like wearing the hijab. i just wish the my parents and family could have gave me the option of deciding when to wear it and other things like the abaya. I'm just saying tha..."

I understand you. And I feel for you. Just hang in there

message 37: by Ira, The Aalimah (new)

Ira | 328 comments Mod
Zara wrote: "my family didnt have to force me coz in the country i live it is compulsory but it is nothing uncomfortable or whatvere and it shouldnt be either coz we are supposed to do hijab according to the su..."

Agreed

Nagwa | 349 comments Mod
Has anyone ever had a dream of going to school without a hijab and was freaking out?

Kristina Ivashkov  (man-u4kb) | 142 comments lol no! why have u?

Nagwa | 349 comments Mod
yeah. you know how people say they have nightmares about going to school and looking down and they have no clothes on? well this is the dream i always get. its kinda scary! idk y lol

Saleha Faruque (faruques) While some girls may feel forced to wear hijab, it's important to remember that being forced to do anything is not a part of Islam.

Islam regards individuals responsible for their own actions. I'm sorry to hear of girls who feel forced to be modest, this is a misguided way of presenting the hijab to one's children.

But as a piece of advice from one Muslim sister to my fellow Muslim sisters (and brothers!), we should always try to represent Islam accurately. So taking the focus off the hijab- when telling tales of any negative experiences with parents and relatives concerning religion, remember that non-Muslims always attribute such stories to Islam being oppressive and anti-women, which is obviously not true.

Sorry, this message isn't directed at anyone in particular, nor did I mean for it to sound mean spirited whatsoever InshAllah :) I just wanted to make a distinction between religion and cultural acts. It's true that a lot of girls are not presented with a choice, but this is not the Islamic way.

"There shall be no compulsion in the religion." -Quran 2:256

Kristina Ivashkov  (man-u4kb) | 142 comments Saleha wrote: "While some girls may feel forced to wear hijab, it's important to remember that being forced to do anything is not a part of Islam.

Islam regards individuals responsible for their own actions. I'..."

I salute u mate! cuz thats EXACTLY how i feel! <3<3<3 lol

Zara (ZaraSaud) | 5 comments Confidence wrote: "yeah. you know how people say they have nightmares about going to school and looking down and they have no clothes on? well this is the dream i always get. its kinda scary! idk y lol"

totally same here:)

Nagwa | 349 comments Mod
@Zara Great so I'm not alone haha

Alya  (Alyaaaa) | 18 comments the poem "What do you see when you look at me,

... " is sooo good and inspirational :'D thank you Kristina Ivashkov it's beautiful :D

Kristina Ivashkov  (man-u4kb) | 142 comments Alya :) wrote: "the poem "What do you see when you look at me,

... " is sooo good and inspirational :'D thank you Kris..."

ur most welcome mate :D

Alya  (Alyaaaa) | 18 comments :D i love writing poems but mine are never as good as yours! well done xx

Kristina Ivashkov  (man-u4kb) | 142 comments really thats nice! lol i didnt write it myself, found it on Facebook, so i thought i'll share it evereyone on GR! but glad u liked it!

Kristina Ivashkov  (man-u4kb) | 142 comments Thanks anyway <3

Joy  | 146 comments <3 <- what is that? your butt on a cone? :D:D

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread