Q&A with Dreamscape Covers discussion

Cover Art > Pick a Cover

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dreamscape (new)

Dreamscape Covers | 66 comments Mod
What type of covers would you like to see more of? What attracts you to one?

message 2: by heather (new)

heather (12weddlehstudentsbcsck12inus) | 1 comments JUST ANYTHING COLORFUL!!!!!!

message 3: by Dreamscape (new)

lol Color, huh? Do you also mean vibrant? lol

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

i love covers with people on them. helps me to imagine the character.

message 5: by Vickie (new)

Vickie McKeehan (WestCoastGirl) | 3 comments I want the cover to depict what I'm anticipating inside the book.

I've picked up hard covers and paperbacks with nice artwork, but the depiction on the cover has absolutely nothing to do with the story.

But the cover did intrigue me enough to pick it up. :)

message 6: by Dreamscape (new)

Vickie wrote: "I want the cover to depict what I'm anticipating inside the book.

I've picked up hard covers and paperbacks with nice artwork, but the depiction on the cover has absolutely nothing to do with the..."

H.M. wrote: "i love covers with people on them. helps me to imagine the character."

H.M- Those are usually my favorites too, but only if the eyes are really captivating.

Vickie- I know what you mean. With traditional publishing companies (most, but not all) the cover artist is given very little to work with. Just the basic information and they rarely even speak to the author. That's when you get covers that don't suit the book. :( I personally think that the cover artist needs more to build off of and that the author should be the main source of information. Who better to describe the book than the person who wrote it?

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan I personally do NOT like people on the cover. I want my descriptions to give the reader an idea of what the H/h look like.

I have my own picture in my head when I write the dark long hair or the light green eyes, the roman-like nose, bushy eyebrows, square jaw...
enough of that and you don't need a pic!
and now...the title or a blurb will tell you it's
paranormal, UF, or erotica or combo of all.

e-books aren't as dependent on a cover as paperbacks...but you still want to convey the general idea...
so...? Would you buy an e-book just because of it's cover?

message 8: by Dreamscape (new)

Susan *ARK* wrote: "I personally do NOT like people on the cover. I want my descriptions to give the reader an idea of what the H/h look like.

I have my own picture in my head when I write the dark long hair or th..."

No, but it's usually what convinces someone to click on the book to read the synopsis. If the cover doesn't spark something in them, they will probably pass up the book. Unless they have heard others rave about it. I don't think the cover is the solitary reason a person buys a book.
As weird as this is, I always think of it like fishing. The cover is the bait, a worm dangling on the end of the hook to capture the interest of the "fish." The Hook is the synopsis, because even if the cover draws them in... the synopsis has to seal the deal. Then with some readers, the reviews would be the reel that really captures them. It's an odd way to explain it, but accurate with most readers. lol

unread topics | mark unread