Q&A with Laurel Snyder discussion

Laurel Snyder
This topic is about Laurel Snyder
Welcome!!!

Comments (showing 1-20)    post a comment »
dateUp_arrow    newest »

Laurel | 22 comments Mod
Julie wrote: "Dear Laurel,
Thank you for the invite into this Q & A group! My students love Bigger Than a Breadbox, so you have a bit of a fanbase at my school, where I am the school librarian. Lately I have b..."

Sooooo lovely to meet you, Julie! I also loved Wonder. I'm itching to get my hands on Ivan, but I need to finish revising my new book before I break into another middle grade. I don't want to steal someone else's ton/voice!

Julie (JulieHembree) | 1 comments Dear Laurel,
Thank you for the invite into this Q & A group! My students love Bigger Than a Breadbox, so you have a bit of a fanbase at my school, where I am the school librarian. Lately I have been drawn to realistic fiction, especially The One and Only Ivan and Wonder.
Julie

Laurel | 22 comments Mod
I'll look them up! Thanks so much for the rec.

Kevin Shoda (MrK1) | 3 comments Laural, if you enjoyed The Name Of The Wind, and the Wheel of time books, you may also enjoy the Dragonlance books, starting with chronicles, I am always lost in the world portrade in those books, and I feel the characters are some of my most charished friends. And the adventures are magnificent, you should look into them if you have not already.

Laurel | 22 comments Mod
Welcome, all!

Laurel | 22 comments Mod
Lindsey, I'll totally check those out. GoT is unusual for me, but I've gotten totally absorbed in it.

I have a big TBR pile growing beside my bed, in prep for a YA I want to think about, which I've outlined. But YA intimidates me, so it's a SECRET.

Mark Weaver (MarkWeaver) | 1 comments Thanks for the invite, Laurel.

Lynette Mather (LynetteMather) | 5 comments Welcome Michael and Kevin!

Lynette Mather (LynetteMather) | 5 comments Thank you, Tara,for the books you recommended. I thank you also for downloading my book. I hope you enjoy reading it, as much as I enjoyed writing it. :)

Michael LaRocca (MichaelEdits) | 1 comments I lived in Asia for 12 years before returning to North Carolina in October with my Australian wife and our lovely Calico cat. I think I remember how to drive. I've written 9 published books, thrown twice as many in the trash, and edited over 300 more. I have a blog and a website and probably a mental disorder. Nice to meet you.

http://www.michaeledits.com

Tara Hall (taralhall) | 8 comments Laurel,

If you like Game of Thrones, I really hope you have picked up The Name of the Wind. It's the best epic fantasy I have ever read, hands down. Close second is Theft of Swords, which is much more obscure and was only recently picked up my Orbit for wide publication. It's truly incredible though. I think both Rothfuss and Sullivan are my writing idols. I want to steal their styles and the strength of their characters. Also Sullivan has a spot-on sense of humor!

It's also worth mentioning that I adore The Wheel of Time series, starting with The Eye of the World, which is a natural companion to Game of Thrones. The world is unbeatable. Sometimes you have to take a deep breath and possibly a break to handle his writing style, though, and his tendency for introspective rambling. And sometimes the characters make me so angry I want to strangle every last one of them, but that is just a testament to how real he can make them.

If you want a more modern fantasy, like Raven I have enjoyed Terry Brooks. I've had trouble getting into the original Shannara series, but his trilogy that starts with Running with the Demon is exceptional.

And now my bookseller persona is coming out because I'm throwing book recommendations at you, so I'll reign myself in. ;)

Lynnette: I'm downloading your book on my NOOK right now. It sounds exactly like something I would love. I can't imagine writing two books at once. My brain would explode! I can't even read more than one without getting really confused...

Raven Xavier (RavenXavier) Hello Laurel

I think it's awesome you want to connect with readers and writers alike. I believe published writer this would help readers know what their favorite writers is working on and how they got their ideas and such. I'm also a writer of YA/MG christian fiction. I love nothing better than sitting at my computer writing with one hand, reading with other.

My favorite books depends. I love a selected few of fantasy, Mainly written by Terry Pratchett and Terry Brooks.

I like christian,edgy fiction for MG/YA fiction. I love reading these types of stories.

Scars
Bad Connection
Beyond Reach
Playing with Fire
Payback
Council Of Evil
Parrotfish
Getting It
The God Box
Bait
Rainbow Boys
Rainbow High
Rainbow Road
New Moan: The Twishite Saga - A Parody
OyMG
Psychose
Ghost in the Machine
The Crossbones
The Raven
The Vast Fields of Ordinary

These are my most favorite books ever..

Kevin Shoda (MrK1) | 3 comments Hi there ladies, my name is Kevin "Mr. K" Shoda, I am a horror short story writer, with ambitions if becoming a published author just like my mother Lynette Mather. I will be posting some of my poems, and stories on here shortly, I reside in Phoenix, AZ, however I hail from Westland, Michigan.
My Stephen King Collection overpowers anything else, but I do switch off to fantasy between horror books, im reading 3 books at the moment, and writing a novella. It's a pleasure to connect with some of the greats.

Lynette Mather (LynetteMather) | 5 comments Hi Laurel:

I really don't know how I do it. I've always written more than one book at a time. My Husband teases me and says it's because I have A.D.D. and he calls me his butterfly because my thoughts flutter from one thing to the next. :)

I really don't know any other reason that I'm able to do this. :)

Laurel | 22 comments Mod
Welcome, Lynette!

How on earth do you balance two novels at once? Tell us your secrets!!!!

And here, have a scone.

:)

Lynette Mather (LynetteMather) | 5 comments Hi Laurel! What a wonderful idea getting authors to connect with one another.

I'm Lynette Mather author of: Unspoken Secrets, a YA fantasy novel.

I also write thrillers and suspense novels. I'm currently writing two different novels. The first one is: The Ritual, and the second is: Deadly Steam. I love to write poetry, and have always been passionate about writing.

I love a wide variety of books and to list all of them would be too much. :)

I look forward to drinking coffee and learning more about the Goodreads authors. :)

Thanks so much for the invite. Take care.

Laurel | 22 comments Mod
Hey Tara!

I love how the idea of fantasy has changed lately. It seems broader to me. Does that make sense?

I love a lot of these books too, but a few of them I haven't read. Will add to Goodreads right now.

I'm just finishing the last Gam of Thrones book. My husband got me hooked. Next on my list is The Heros' Guide to Saving the Kingdom.

I find I have to craft my reading list so that what I'm reading doesn't affect what I'm writing TOO much. I just turned in a new draft (the companion to Bigger than a Bread Box). So for a split second I can read whatever I like. But when I'm back to revising again I won't read middle-grade, for fear of stealing from it.

Tara Hall (taralhall) | 8 comments Hello Laurel! I think this is a fantastic idea! I love nothing more than an accessible author!

I'm a bookseller with a national chain, specializing in kids and teen books. I write (too little), usually fantasy. I'm working on a teen fantasy currently. More often I'm reading. My tastes are pretty broad, but the majority of the books I really love are fantasy of some sort. Some of my favorite books I've read recently are:

The Name of the Wind
The Hunger Games
Liesl and Po
Theft of Swords
The Wolf Gift
American Gods
The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker
The Thief
Under the Never Sky

That's just recently. I could go on and on! Now you have to tell us your favorite books!

Greg Fishbone (tem2) | 1 comments Wait... I thought we were going to be talking about coffee! :D

Laurel | 22 comments Mod
I'd love to get to know more readers, other authors, and members of the Goodreads community. Please tell us a bit about yourself, and maybe a few of your very favorite books?

I'm Laurel. In addition to being an author, I'm a poet, occasional essayist, even more occasional commentator for NPR's All Things Considered, and a mom. If you want to know more about me, there's (perhaps too much) information at http://laurelsnyder.com. I'm from baltimore, but I live in Atlanta now.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Wolf Gift (other topics)
Liesl & Po (other topics)
Theft of Swords (other topics)
Under the Never Sky (other topics)
The Thief (other topics)
More...