BTS Book Club discussion

Author updates > Books coming soon!

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Christy Wilhelm | 282 comments Mod
I'm not an author so if you have one please post :)

Deborah Coonts | 3 comments SO DAMN LUCKY, the third in the Lucky O'toole Vegas series by Deborah Coonts, hits the shelves tomorrow.

It's Halloween in Vegas...a clothing optional weekend where body paint and a tail earn carte blanche at the finest clubs. Lucky O’Toole, the chief “problem solver” for the Babylon is up to her armpits in UFO aficionados looking for “close encounters”, Houdini fans lured to Sin City for the annual séance hoping this is the year the master communicates from the Great Beyond, and magicians on a witch hunt for a traitor in their midst who is selling secrets for fifteen minutes of fame.

Of course, Lucky is adept at keeping a lot of balls in the air. But, when her live-in goes AWOL, a French chef turns up the fire, her mother punches every button she’s got, and a magician disappears….things get complicated.

Shannan Albright (ShannanAlbright) | 6 comments Passion's Flight: A Dark Breed Novel Releases Wednesday February 29th!

Tegan Murin has his hands full these days. Feral attacks are increasing, targeting humans, and now he is ordered to find and destroy a deadly artifact known as Oman’s Seal, deal with his estranged step-father and find a missing archaeologist. He’s a bit irritable. Add into the mix a recurring dream of one sexy seductress leading him to his death… well, you get one very pissed off were-panther.
Kyra Navarone is more than what she seems. Escaping from the Ferals who captured her, she ends up running into a brooding, irritating man who makes her blood run hot just with one look. Her life depends on the betrayal of this compelling man, but how can she live with herself afterward?
More than their lives hang in the balance. In order to survive they must learn to trust one another before the world they know and the one hidden beneath the waves are destroyed forever.

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 7 comments Kicking Ashe: Last installment in my Project Enterprise series of connected books. (Each book is stand alone, but its more fun to read them all. grin)

A science fiction romance novel

When you save Time’s tush—or its version of one—it ought to cut you a break, not kick your tush some where and some when. Though boo yah on providing a hot guy in leather to pull that tush out of the impact crater that Ashe so did not make despite the somewhat damning evidence to the contrary.

So, the sitrep:

She's stuck on primitive planet
Time Tracker suit down
Lurch (her nanite) unable to connect to any tech (see primitive above)
Surrounded by a bunch of buccaneer types who haven’t been around nubile, young women cause it's against their law
The one guy (Vidor Shan) she’d like to kiss on the mouth is off limits (time rule)
Someone gunning for Shan from somewhere in time
And, oh yeah, some really strange meteorites are making landfall in some very strange ways.
Seems Time has a new hobby: kicking Ashe (and shame on It for doing it when she’s down).

Not that she plans to stay down. Or give up the guy.

Tags: science fiction romance, sexual tension, no sex, alternate universe, time travel, alternate realities, space opera, connected series.

Kicking Ashe

message 5: by Nick (last edited May 28, 2012 05:14PM) (new)

Nick Nicholas (nicksnicholas) | 90 comments Silver Icon - (A Short Story)  by Nick S. Nicholas Silver Icon - (A Short Story) by Nick S. Nicholas

Silver Icon is a short story about a day in the life of a typical American worker at a typical American corporation during a reduction in workforce action. Job elimination, off-shoring, and systemic layoffs to reduce costs is common place in today’s workforce. This is the story of Rick, an information technology worker, who experiences this ever repeating story in America. Live through his eyes as he experiences the sights, sounds and emotions of a job elimination action by his company.

Available as an eBook at Smashwords and Amazon.com

Tags:corporation, corporate america, layoffs, cost reduction, laid off, layoff, outsourcing, job loss, offshoring, workforce, outsourcing jobs, lay off, rif, reduction in workforce, reduction in force, job elimination, fiction, drama, american

PJ White | 4 comments Hi All,

I've just published my first book entitled Ashen (Black Dawn, Book One) which is the first book of a three part series. Ashen is a Sci-Fi Adventure/Horror with a supernatural twist and should appeal especially to anyone who liked Event Horizon or Predator.
Currently $0.99 on Amazon, my blurb and links are below, as is a brief excerpt.

Regards
Pete

Links:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Z3QZ5O
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007Z3QZ5O

Blurb:
In 2065 a nuclear strike was initiated that almost resulted in the annihilation of all mankind.

On the 11th of October 2078, leaving behind their irradiated homelands and heading out into the night, the survivors of the Earth start the hugely ambitious and dangerous task of building a permanent colony on Mars.

The year is now 2102 and against the odds the Sanctuary colony and its inhabitants have thrived.

Meanwhile on the distant planet of Ashen 2, a team of scientists have made an unprecedented breakthrough that could herald a new golden era for the survivors of the Earth.
Though when communications are inexplicably lost, an elite special forces unit are sent to investigate and amongst the team is Robert Hewson.

Hewson is an experimental physicist who is responsible for the on-going terraforming of Mars, and, more importantly, bringing his late father’s dream of the planet having a breathable atmosphere to fruition.

Hewson soon finds himself being carried along in a whirlwind when he and the team make a terrifying discovery that could have devastating consequences.

Something has been watching them from beyond the veil and the fight for survival has begun.

Excerpt:
It was just after 4am. The well maintained lawns that lay between the string of outbuildings and the main laboratories shimmered as the first few shards of daylight reflected in the early morning dew.
Moisture though, was not the only substance in evidence on the lawns.
Lois Palmer shivered as she lay on her stomach underneath the porch of one of the residential suites.
Her hair was matted to the side of her face with grease and sweat and her hands trembled as she looked out across the now quiet compound.
Chloe Sanders, one of Lois’s closest friends, had been with her only thirty minutes beforehand.
Taking her turn to go out and search for food and water, Chloe had crawled out from underneath their hiding place and disappeared up the slope, in the direction of the halls of residence.
A few brief moments later Lois had heard Chloe cry out.
Lois had laid there frozen, barely able to breathe.
She had wanted so badly to run out and help Chloe, but her muscles hadn’t obeyed her commands.
Never before had Lois felt so helpless. All she could do was lay there and listen as Chloe fought for her life.
Unable to halt her attacker’s advances, Chloe let out one final scream which was brutally curtailed and faded to nothing more than a muffled whimper. There had been no gun shots, so Lois had been left to imagine the manner of her friend’s passing.
One by one she had seen all of her friends and colleagues killed or succumb to whatever dark forces were at work in this place she had called home for almost two years.
Lois wasn’t a religious person, but this she imagined must surely have compared to Hell.
Only in Hell could one be so utterly desperate and alone, beyond any chance of salvation and in an environment completely impossible to become accustomed to.
All Lois wanted was to be at home with her family.
She could remember how, as a child, her mother had told her to hide under her bed clothes if she was ever afraid of the dark. But as she peered out from underneath the porch, she knew there was no safe haven. Even daylight would not afford her any kind of safety, “They” were everywhere.
A few days ago, Lois and Chloe had been hiding on the edge of the rain forest, when three of their co-workers had burst out of the jungle on the opposite side of the compound.
Bringing up the rear had been Craig Bellamy, a well liked and respected senior member of staff and a few metres ahead two of his second year students, Carol Andrews and Sonia Masters.
Taking care of his subordinates right to the end, Bellamy had verbally and physically pushed his charges ahead of him, in a desperate bid to keep them alive.
Sprinting out across open ground, running for their lives, the three headed straight for the chapel, while behind them, erupting out of the brush, were six of the armed psychopaths.
Strangely none of them opened fire.
Bellamy and the others quickly rounded the far side of chapel, but as they did their hearts sank, as lying in wait were another ten of the dark vessels, all carrying bush knives.
Lois could still hear their screams. So much blood.
After Davies and the senior staff had learned of Jonathan Braymer’s murder, the Pathfinder data had been analysed countless times in an attempt to determine the cause of the psychosis. No firm conclusions had been drawn, leaving only vague theories and speculation to fuel the already soaring bonfires of anxiety. Everyone knew that Bill Sykes and Jonathan Braymer had been the very best of friends for over twenty years, so Davies knew there had to be a connection to the project.
It had taken a few days for them to mutate, but to begin with, those who had “changed” appeared no different to anyone else. Certainly the “things” she had seen walking in the woods earlier that day were no longer human! And if it hadn’t been for a few remnants of torn clothing, Lois would never have known they had been human at all.
Somehow these poor souls had warped into something that should only have existed in the darkest of dark dreamscapes and as Lois had found out to her horror, they were far from the cumbersome, dim-witted creatures they appeared to be. Instead they were intelligent and moved with surprising speed, though more alarmingly, Lois suspected a hidden agenda and a purpose.
Dragging her back into the present, Lois heard a noise off in the distance, roughly in the direction of where Chloe had been killed. Concentrating on the sound, Lois heard the slow and deliberate rhythm of footfalls, though from who or what she couldn’t tell.
Retreating further under the porch, Lois made herself as small as she could.
Out across the blood stained lawn, cloaked partially by mist, a lone figure walked slowly in her direction.
Halfway to her, the sub human creature stopped and looked up at the sky.
As it lifted its head into the early morning sun, Lois could clearly see the torn remains of a set of jungle DPMs. There had been twenty soldiers stationed in the compound and when the slaughter had begun, it was they that had done the most damage.
Only three of the soldiers had been unaffected and with the assistance of Bellamy, they had temporarily rescued twelve others, including Lois and Chloe. For four days they had managed to repel the zealots, but now they were all gone and Lois was engaged in what she knew was almost certainly an endgame.
Continuing to observe the creature, she shuddered as she saw the half metre long bush knife in its right hand. Immediately her mind flooded with bloody images of the massacre outside the chapel.
As if sensing Lois’s fear, the creature paused and then appeared to test the air with its tongue.
Almost at once it turned its head and looked in her direction, breathing in sharply through its nose.
Lois backed away further still, until her spine came into contact with the building’s foundation.
She couldn’t see the beast’s eyes, but it felt like they were now locked only on her.
Advancing much more quickly, the heavily muscled creature closed on her position.
Stopping in front of the Porch, it tasted the air again.
Lois didn’t dare breathe, but her heartbeat was so loud in her ears, she was sure that the sound would give her position away to the creature.
Once the creature had walked up the stairs under which Lois was hiding, she felt a small measure of relief. Perhaps her mind had been playing tricks on her? Perhaps “they” didn’t actually have some form of extra sensory perception?
Above her, the beast slowly shuffled around the room, tasting the air.
Having completed two laps of the room’s perimeter, it came back to the porch threshold and stopped, remaining completely silent.
With unimaginable force, the black souled abomination drove its bush knife through the porch step and pinned Lois to the ground, impaling her through the back.
As her life slipped away, the last vision to flash before Lois’s eyes was that of her family.
With arms outstretched, Lois ran to her Mother and Father and was finally at peace.

Cheryl Whitty | 3 comments I have purchased from Amazon uk,thank you for the tip

PJ White | 4 comments Cheryl wrote: "I have purchased from Amazon uk,thank you for the tip"

Thanks Cheryl.
I hope you enjoy reading it.

Regards
Pete

message 9: by Jae (last edited Jun 23, 2012 09:14PM) (new)

Jae Davies (JaeLynneDavies) | 6 comments Hi Everyone!

I'm thrilled to announce that Blood Moon (the second novel in my Urban Fantasy/Paranormal series, Mythic) is now available in PRINT at Amazon.com (almost a MONTH ahead of anticipated release)!

Blurb: Forced to make a heartbreaking decision between the man she loves and the family she thought long dead, Gianna Marino returns to London—obligated to vampire coven leader, Mattias Vitale while thoughts of another are fresh on her mind.

When word is received of suspicious vampire activity, she is assigned to an investigation that leads her to Greece, where she discovers Dante—Mattias's recently resigned second in command, and a dangerous prophecy.

Dante Diakos is the last of a pure immortal bloodline—a descendant of the gods, and he intends to invoke the power of the entire pantheon on the eve of the Blood Moon which occurs once every millennia. If he attains the legendary abilities, he'll be the most powerful being on earth, and intends for her to rule by his side.

When the fate of world hangs in the balance, a decision is placed in Gianna's hands…Become an eternal slave to Dante's will or lose everyone she's ever loved.

Excerpt: On the top floor of Mattias Vitale's famed nightclub, The Haven, Gianna Marino arrived at the overlook and breathed a tired sigh of relief.

Just as soon as tense shoulders relaxed, a faint stir in the surrounding air jerked her back to reality. At once, she straightened at an approaching fragrance. Hints of musk and Artemisia oil were the notes of the preferred cologne worn by one person…Dante Diakos, Mattias's second in command. And he was close.

With little expectation, she turned and faced his rousing grin. He extended an arm and offered her a familiar cocktail. "I thought you could use this," he said with an almost innocent smile. The golden rings on his two outer fingers gleamed as he cupped a hand over the glass, preventing spillage.

"Thanks." She accepted the gesture and returned to her position. The clang of her empty champagne flute against a hard surface rang in her ears as Dante placed it on a side table. Then he joined her.

He relaxed beside her in an identical position, a comfortable distance away. In her peripheral vision, she noticed he looked out onto the crowd then turned his head in her direction.

"We haven't had a chance to speak much these past few weeks," he said.

"There hasn't been much time for anything since our return, Dante. Just business as usual, I suppose." She took a long swig of her drink.

He snickered. "Well, I wouldn't go as far as saying there hasn't been time for anything. I mean, you and Mattias have grown awful close."

There was one unrelenting constant about Dante; he never wasted time dancing around the point. She had no idea what angle he tried to work, but it couldn't be good. "Distance has a tendency to make the heart grow fonder. But you don't need me to tell you that. I'm sure you've heard the old saying before."

Dante cocked an eyebrow in the most seductive manner she'd ever seen. "Distance, is that all?"

Patience wore thin. She retreated from the rail and placed her back against the solid bar. "What are you getting at, Dante? If you mean to say something, just say it," she snapped.

He growled low in his chest and a smile splayed across his lips with a slight revelation of fangs, a blatant reminder of the difference between them. He inched closer, reached for a loose piece of her hair, and curled the lock between his fingers. His intense concentration was as though he counted each strand while they glided across his flesh.

"I think you know exactly what I want, but you don't need me to tell you that," he said.

"Dante, you know I care about you. You also know why we could never be together. I apologize for my impulsive behavior that may have misled you, but there can never be anything more. The sooner you accept that, the sooner we can all move on."

He considered her for a moment. "You know, that almost sounded convincing. How long have you practiced that line, recited it in the dark so it sounded as good as you'd hoped? How many times have you whispered those words to the air, all the while imagining my mouth against yours in protest?"

"Ugh, why can't we speak as friends? Things would be far easier if you'd accept my disinterest."

"Sometimes I think you forget what I am, but you only know the half of it. You see, I don't accept your disinterest because I can hear your rapid heartbeat. I can smell the rich notes of your blood because your body temperature rose by an entire degree. You may be able to speak the words, Gianna, but your body doesn't lie."

With the last of his words, she snapped with such disgust, the force broke the grip on her drink, sending it spilling over the balcony. Fear lasted but a second when Dante's arm shot out before her, catching the glass before it escaped his reach.

She turned quickly, but when she locked his gaze he stood so close, a single sheet of paper could barely slide between the available space. His breath fluttered her hair. The aroma of the cologne mixed with his natural scent was more than most could handle, but she willed herself to remain calm. He ran his tongue over his upper lip and she couldn't stop staring.

But if she stood there another second, the next act could trigger an all-out war. Instead, he smirked, daring her to make the next move. She shifted her weight and snatched the glass from his hand. "Thanks for the save," she said, then turned on her heel and left him in the wake of her rejection.

Jae Davies (JaeLynneDavies) | 6 comments The second novel in my Mythic Series, titled Blood Moon will be released in eBook format exclusively to Amazon.com TOMORROW! In celebration of the release, the first novel in the series is now available FREE to Kindle users WORLDWIDE until Saturday. Get your hands on sexy vampires and HOT loves scenes!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Kicking Ashe (other topics)
Silver Icon (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Nick S. Nicholas (other topics)