The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP Spring 2012 > 25.5. Laurie ME's Task: 100 Years Ago

Comments (showing 1-50 of 105) (105 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 26, 2012 09:15AM) (new)

Sandy | 5928 comments Mod
25.5. Laurie ME's Task: 100 Years Ago
100 years ago in April,two events happened, one overshadowing the other, but they both are of real interest to me. One was the sinking of the RMS Titanic. The other was the opening of Fenway Park in Boston.

Book 1: Read a fiction or non fiction book about the sinking of a luxury liner or other ship. It could be about the Titanic or another luxury liner (the Lusitania or Andrea Doria for example) or about a battle ship or aircraft carrier (the HMS Hood or the Bismark come to mind) for nonfiction subjects. These lists may gave you some ideas: Maritime Disasters, Great Lakes Storms and Shipwrecks Keep in mind the usual caveat about Goodreads lists - not all books will work for the task.
Fiction examples are The Secret Adversary or Three Fates, in which the sinking of the Lusitania is the event that starts the book and has meaning to the story, but the story takes place elsewhere and after. Another fiction example is The Poseidon Adventure.
REQUIRED: If the connection is not obvious, please explain the connection of your book to the sinking of a ship.

Book 2: Read a fiction or nonfiction book about baseball. Baseball should be an integal part of the story. For non fiction a few examples are: Ball Four, Umpire Strikes Back or Faithful: Two Diehard Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle the Historic 2004 Season. Some fiction examples are The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Squeeze Play, Slow Heat.
This list may give you more ideas, although not every book on the list may work for this task. Best Baseball books

Laurie Martin | 773 comments Reserved

Laurie Martin | 773 comments Reserved

JennRenee (JennReneeRead) | 992 comments Will this work for baseball The Comeback Season

Deedee | 1090 comments For Book 1 I looked at
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/10...
and on the list was

The Odyssey by Homer

Would this book be accepted for book 1? Thanks!

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 880 comments I just read an excellent new Titanic book for this challenge:

The Watch That Ends The Night  Voices From The Titanic by Allan Wolf The Watch That Ends The Night: Voices From The Titanic

Also, for a great book connected to Fenway Park:

My Most Excellent Year by Steve Kluger My Most Excellent Year

Great task!

JennRenee (JennReneeRead) | 992 comments for the titanic Fateful

message 12: by Sheila (last edited Feb 26, 2012 08:46AM) (new)

Sheila (SheilaJ) | 1598 comments I've got a couple of questions for you Laurie. Would a book about the Pearl Harbor bombing work for book 1?

I was wondering when someone was going to post a Titanic task.

Would this book work for book 2 Baseball Cat ? Thanks

Gayla Bassham (Sophronisba) | 633 comments If anyone is looking for a Titanic book: The Dressmaker: A Novel looks good.

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "I just read an excellent new Titanic book for this challenge:

The Watch That Ends The Night  Voices From The Titanic by Allan Wolf [book:The Watch That Ends The Night: Voices From The Titan..."

This baseball book looks good!!!! I may have to look for that one.

Bea | 1489 comments Gayla, I thought that one looked good also, but I think I will go with The Band That Played on: The Extraordinary Story of the 8 Musicians Who Went Down with the Titanic for the first book.

My second book will probably be Fielder's Choice.

Sheila (SheilaJ) | 1598 comments Has anyone been able to get the maritime disasters link to work?

Hettie | 131 comments How central to the plot does the shipwreck need to be. Robinson Crusoe and Twelfth Night both have a shipwreck at the start but that is it. Does it need to feature more than that?

Thanks.

message 18: by Sandy (last edited Feb 26, 2012 09:11AM) (new)

Sheila wrote: "Has anyone been able to get the maritime disasters link to work?"

Sorry, I just don't know what GR is doing with links - it worked fine when I tested it a while ago. I'll play with it. In the meantime, go to Listopia (at the top of the page, under the pulldown menu for "explore") and do a search for "maritime disasters" or shipwrecks or terms like that - keep in mind that there are numerous lists put together, and you may well find books on lists that are NOT mentioned in the task.

Fran | 676 comments JennRenee wrote: "for the titanic Fateful"

This looks good, JennRenee!

Dee (austhokie) | 4233 comments i'm hoping fateful fits as well, otherwise I might go with the Dressmaker

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1349 comments Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou! I have been dying for someone to do a Titanic task, and I was almost getting to the point where I was regretting not doing it myself.

Okay, now that I've recomposed myself...will Destined work? It's got some paranormal stuff going on, but it takes place on the Titanic, so I thought it should be okay. If not, I've got a whole list of books on my TBR I can choose (I just own this one and haven't read it yet, so it's my first choice).

Also, this list has a lot of great choices: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/10...

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Would Distant Waves work for Book 1?

Sheila wrote: "Has anyone been able to get the maritime disasters link to work?"

OK, it seems to be working now, at least for the moment..................

Fran | 676 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou! I have been dying for someone to do a Titanic task, and I was almost getting to the point where I was regretting not doing it myself.

Okay, now that I've ..."

MsAnderson, Destined looks great- and for 2.99 on Amazon for kindle it seems like a bargain. Now I have two great choices, I hope they both get approved :)

Katy | 296 comments If anyone is looking for a weird/interesting Titanic book, Connie Willis's Passage deals a ton with the Titanic -- I don't know for sure that it would work, but the Titanic is a huge part of the significance of the story and I loved the book. It's sort of sci-fi ish and deals with near death experiences.

Sheila (SheilaJ) | 1598 comments Thanks Sandy and Ms. Anderson both those links work. I'm with you Ms. Anderson. I was amazed that no one created a Titanic task. I remember reading a Night to Remember as a kid and being totally sucked in by it.

Dee (austhokie) | 4233 comments might have to go and see Titanic in 3D at the movie theatre when its re-released

Fran | 676 comments Dee wrote: "might have to go and see Titanic in 3D at the movie theatre when its re-released"

I am totally going!

Sheila (SheilaJ) | 1598 comments That would be something to see all right. I think I saw it 3 times at the theatre and then bought it on DVD. 3D IMAX would be so awesome. Do you think it will be released on April 12?

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Ooohhh!!! I may have to go see it in the IMAX... :) If I can convince the man of course. Has anyone else noticed that boys in real life are never as amazing as they make them seem in books?

message 31: by Dee (last edited Feb 26, 2012 10:02AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 4233 comments they are doing it on April 6th apparently

ETA http://www.titanicmovie.com/#/home - says April 4

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments Titanic is one of those movies that I could only see once. I am definitely not a repeat offender on that one.

Sheila (SheilaJ) | 1598 comments back to the task. I loved the movie A league of her own. Does anyone know if that was based upon a book?

Dee (austhokie) | 4233 comments according to IMDB it was inspired by the career of Dottie Collins, who pitched 17 shut-outs in her 6 year career - Dottie Wiltse Collins: Strikeout Queen of the All American Girls Professional Baseball League

Sheila (SheilaJ) | 1598 comments Thanks Dee. That might be the one for me

Dee (austhokie) | 4233 comments i'm debating if I want to move The Art of Fielding to here and find something else for the GR voice task...hmmm

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I am debating if I should move The Art of Fielding from 30.6 and place it here. Then find some other books for 30.6

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1319 comments Just wanted to run some possibilities past you...
For book 1: The Cay
For book 2 :Shakespeare Bats Cleanup

Will those work?

JennRenee (JennReneeRead) | 992 comments does The Comeback Season work for baseball

Laurie Martin | 773 comments JennRenee wrote: "Will this work for baseball The Comeback Season"

Looks good to me, with Wrigley Field involved!

Laurie Martin | 773 comments Deedee wrote: "For Book 1 I looked at
and on the list was

The Odyssey by Homer

Would this book be accepted for book 1? Thanks!"

Looks fine to me ... great list

Laurie Martin | 773 comments KSMary wrote: "What about The Art of Fielding for Book 2 and The Perfect Storm: A True Story of Men Against the Sea or [book:In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Ess..."

All three work fine.

Laurie Martin | 773 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "I just read an excellent new Titanic book for this challenge:

The Watch That Ends The Night  Voices From The Titanic by Allan Wolf [book:The Watch That Ends The Night: Voices From The Titan..."

Fantastic and Thanks - both events fascinate me totally!

Laurie Martin | 773 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Would these work?

1) The Phoenix: A Novel About The Hindenburg

2) Baseball Crazy: Ten Short Stories that Cover All the Bases"

Book 1 no because it's not a maritime type disaster.

Book 2 is just fine.

Laurie Martin | 773 comments JennRenee wrote: "for the titanic Fateful"

Good one.

Laurie Martin | 773 comments Sheila wrote: "I've got a couple of questions for you Laurie. Would a book about the Pearl Harbor bombing work for book 1?

Would this book work fo..."

Yes, I'll agree to Pearl Harbor, it was at least a bunch of ships sinking ...

Laurie Martin | 773 comments Sandy wrote: "Sheila wrote: "Has anyone been able to get the maritime disasters link to work?"

Sorry, I just don't know what GR is doing with links - it worked fine when I tested it a while ago. I'll play wi..."

Laurie Martin | 773 comments Jodi wrote: "Does this work for book 1?

Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World: The Extraordinary True Story of Shackleton and the Endurance"

That'll work - great choice, I've read about Shakleton before and he's fascinating!

Laurie Martin | 773 comments Sheila wrote: "I've got a couple of questions for you Laurie. Would a book about the Pearl Harbor bombing work for book 1?

Would this book work fo..."

I couldn't resist the Titanic since it did overshadow the opening of Fenway Park that year. Any book that involves baseball (as long as it meets all other criteria) is perfect.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (other topics)
Faithful: Two Diehard Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle the Historic 2004 Season (other topics)
The Umpire Strikes Back (other topics)
Squeeze Play (other topics)
The Poseidon Adventure (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Homer (other topics)