The History Book Club discussion

Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch
This topic is about Elizabeth the Queen
BRITISH MONARCHY/ROYAL HOUSES > 11. ELIZABETH THE QUEEN ~ March 19 - March 25 ~~ CHAPTER 21 (499-537) ~ No Spoilers Please

Comments (showing 1-31 of 31) (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (last edited Feb 24, 2012 08:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 7953 comments Hello Everyone,

For the week of March 19 - 25, we are reading the final chapter of Elizabeth the Queen.

The eleventh week's reading assignment is:

Week Eleven - March 19-25 - pg. 499-537:

Long Live the Queen - 499

We will open up a thread for each week's reading. Please make sure to post in the particular thread dedicated to those specific chapters and page numbers to avoid spoilers. We will also open up supplemental threads as we did for other spotlighted books.

This book was kicked off on January 10th. We look forward to your participation. Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Borders and other noted on line booksellers do have copies of the book and shipment can be expedited. The book can also be obtained easily at your local library, or on your Kindle. This weekly thread will be opened up on March 19th or sometime during the weekend before.

There is no rush and we are thrilled to have you join us. It is never too late to get started and/or to post.

Jill will be leading this discussion. But since this is Jill's first time moderating a book; Bentley will be co-moderating this selection.

Welcome,

~Bentley

TO ALWAYS SEE ALL WEEKS' THREADS SELECT VIEW ALL

Elizabeth The Queen  The Life Of A Modern Monarch by Sally Bedell Smith by Sally Bedell SmithSally Bedell Smith

REMEMBER NO SPOILERS ON THE WEEKLY NON SPOILER THREADS

Notes:

It is always a tremendous help when you quote specifically from the book itself and reference the chapter and page numbers when responding. The text itself helps folks know what you are referencing and makes things clear.

Citations:

If an author or book is mentioned other than the book and author being discussed, citations must be included according to our guidelines. Also, when citing other sources, please provide credit where credit is due and/or the link. There is no need to re-cite the author and the book we are discussing however.

If you need help - here is a thread called the Mechanics of the Board which will show you how:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2......

Glossary

Remember there is a glossary thread where ancillary information is placed by the moderator. This is also a thread where additional information can be placed by the group members regarding the subject matter being discussed.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7......

Bibliography

There is a Bibliography where books cited in the text are posted with proper citations and reviews. We also post the books that the author used in her research or in her notes. Please also feel free to add to the Bibliography thread any related books, etc with proper citations. No self promotion, please.

Q&A with Sally

Please as you are reading post questions to the author's Q&A thread because Sally Bedell Smith will be looking in periodically and will be posting answers to your questions and will be available for a chat. She will be dropping in every now and then when she has time between stops on her book tour. We are very fortunate that she is making time to spend with us.

message 2: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (last edited Feb 26, 2012 10:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 7953 comments Chapter Overview and Summary

Chapter 21 (Long Live the Queen)

The Queen will celebrate 60 years on the throne (second only to her great-great grandmother Victoria) beginning in May 2012. People around the world and the Queen react favorably to the film The King's Speech, the story of the Queen's father, George VI and his life long struggle with stammering. David Cameron, an old Etonian, becomes PM and the Civil List is targeted for elimination in 2013. Prince Andrew gets some bad press and his ex-wife, Fergie, gets even more out of control with her spending and hedonistic life style. Prince Charles finds peace and contentment in his marriage to Camilla and raises millions of pounds for charities and projects. Public resentment against Charles softens. The question of abdication in favor of Prince Charles is addressed. The government and the royal household ponder the question of Camilla's title when Charles becomes King on the death of Elizabeth. The Act of Settlement and primogeniture questions arise. Charles reveals some of his thoughts regarding his priorities when he ascends the throne. Charles and his sons relationship strengthens as they grow older. Prince William marries Kate Middleton and the public and the family are thrilled. The wedding is televised to the world. The Queen visits the Republic of Ireland and addresses the state banquet in perfect Gaelic, wowing the crowd. The trip is a success. Prince Phillip celebrates his 90th birthday. The monarchy starts the Jubilee Year on strong footing.

message 3: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 7953 comments Please feel free to post your comments and thoughts related to Chapter 21 (Long Live the Queen.) This is a non-spoiler thread.

message 4: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (last edited Mar 19, 2012 06:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 7953 comments Even though the Queen did not see the eponymous films about her life, she did see The King's Speech about her father's struggle with speech problems. I was surprised that she decided to view it, since it must have been somewhat painful for her to remember those times when her father who was painfully shy and had a stammer, was thrust onto the throne after the abdication of his brother.

The King's Speech  How One Man Saved the British Monarchy by Mark Logue by Mark Logue

message 5: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 7953 comments Fergie continues to embarrass the family, especially when she is caught in a sting. A hidden camera catches her selling access to Prince Andrew for 500,000 pounds. She apologizes but do you think that some action should have been taken against her or was there anything really criminal about her actions?

message 6: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bentley | 26256 comments Jill, I thought that is was odd too that she decided to see The King's Speech and not Mirren's film. Why do you think that this was the case? Or does she see them in private and just not tell anybody. I guess that could be the case too.

message 7: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Mar 22, 2012 03:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bentley | 26256 comments Jill wrote: "Fergie continues to embarrass the family, especially when she is caught in a sting. A hidden camera catches her selling access to Prince Andrew for 500,000 pounds. She apologizes but do you think t..."

No - I do not think that in the final analysis she did anything legally wrong. She was just asking for money to be the go between much as agents do I imagine. Was it in good taste or a proper thing to do - no of course not. She did not have to give the access and there was a fee associated with that access much like a lobbyist. Nothing criminal; just continual poor judgement and crude. Fergie needed money, she saw an opportunity to market and sell her relationship and that is what she is guilty of.

message 8: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (last edited Mar 22, 2012 08:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 7953 comments Bentley wrote: "Jill, I thought that is was odd too that she decided to see The King's Speech and not Mirren's film. Why do you think that this was the case? Or does she see them in private and just not tell any..."

I also wonder if she may have seen The Queen privately. You would think her curiosity would overwhelm her.
Comparing Fergie to a lobbyist is spot on.......she was selling her insider position. I would agree it was not criminal but certainly a terrible decision.

Barbara (BarbaraAnneWaite) | 49 comments I appreciated the author’s evaluation of how the film The King’s Speech, ”…touched people’s hearts but also tapped into a yearning for the monarchy’s enduring values of duty, integrity and courage.”
I liked the author’s statement on page 533 that ,”William and Catherine made clear their intention to live their own way as well as the royal way…”
Sally Bedell Smith said the royal wedding of 2011 …”brightened the outlook for the house of Windsor…” Somehow ending this book with the eventual hope of a young couple with fresh, clean pages ready to write their own place in future royal history was very hopeful.

Cheryl (Cheryl319) | 372 comments Bentley wrote: "Jill, I thought that is was odd too that she decided to see The King's Speech and not Mirren's film. Why do you think that this was the case? Or does she see them in private and just not tell any..."

I don't think I could watch a movie about myself, but I think I could watch a movie about my parents. I think the other difference is that The Queen was about a personally painful time for the Queen and was critical of her in places, while The King's Speech is very complimentary to her father and is a 'triumph of human spirit movie.'

Barbara, I also liked the ending, and the references to the young royal couple and the future. Their wedding and recent trip to Canada reminded me a lot of the Queen and Prince Philip in the early years of their marriage.

message 11: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 7953 comments You say you might not be able to watch a film about yourself, Cheryl........I had the very same thought when I was posting that comment!! It would be difficult to see a film that criticized your actions during a tense period of your life...........but The King's Speech is indeed triumphal.

message 12: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 7953 comments I thought the author did an excellent job giving us some insight into the personality of Prince Charles. This quote is particularly telling as it compares him to his parents:
.....his ability to engage with people is "as good if not better than the Queen. He has natural warmth with the Queen's sense of duty and Phillip's ability to make a guy laugh"..... he is more imaginative and intuitive as well, and his thoughtfulness is legendary: pg 512.
I think that he may have mellowed since his marriage to Camilla.

message 13: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bentley | 26256 comments I think that Charles has many admirable qualities but is not as effusive as his mother. And I do not consider the Queen to be that effusive so that is saying a lot.

message 14: by Barbara (last edited Mar 23, 2012 07:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barbara (BarbaraAnneWaite) | 49 comments I suppose Bentley that being a mother and grandmother myself and rating family above duty that I have more hope when watching William because I think he might be better able to come to a balance of family and duty having learned some from the past he has viewed. Elizabeth 11 might do much differntly now but she has no second chance with family.

message 15: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bentley | 26256 comments True in some respects Barbara I suppose. William is of a different and younger generation where the rules have been relaxed for him and his beloved. The Queen and her son did not enjoy that luxury and are products of their time and rules/regulations. I wonder if William has a grasp of what it takes to maintain momentum, continuity, general status quo. I think his father is better able to maintain that continuity in the short term and allow William more of an opportunity to adjust to the demands. I am not sure that William has sacrificed much until now aside from the loss of a mother who he loved dearly. I am not so sure that Elizabeth was such a bad mother though an absent one because of country obligations. She seems to have quite a nurturing side when given the time and the opportunity.

message 16: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (last edited Mar 23, 2012 02:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 7953 comments William will probably take a different approach to his kingship than either his grandmother or his father.....as Bentley pointed out, the rules have been relaxed for the younger generation of Royals. I believe that Charles will follow in his mother's footsteps....more bound by protocol and rules. And it appears that Charles has become closer to his sons in the past few years and they seem to accept Camilla. That is all for the good.

message 17: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 7953 comments As we move toward the end of this Spotlight Read, please post your final thoughts of the book as a whole on the following thread:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...

message 18: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 7953 comments It is apparent that the Queen will never step down in favor of her son which puts that question to rest. She stated:
"...unless I get Alzheimer's or have a stroke. I'm going to carry on to the end" pg.515.

In that situation, Charles would serve as Regent, as was done when George III was suffering from mental illness. After reading about the Queen, I am not surprised and think it is the right decision. She is so loved and is such an icon.......do you agree?

message 19: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bentley | 26256 comments I think the Queen will do exactly as she has stated. So if and when Charles will reign and he probably will; he will be a much older man. And William will be older too.

message 20: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 7953 comments Charles has now become the oldest Prince of Wales, eclipsing Edward VII, Queen Victoria's son and heir. But in the past few years, as especially noted in this last chapter, he has undertaken many charities and projects which will stand him in good stead when he takes the throne. Public feeling for him has become much more positive.

message 21: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 7953 comments An interesting question arises when Charles takes the throne.....that is the status of Camilla, currently the Duchess of Cornwall. Prince Charles wants her to be Queen Consort as was his grandmother for George VI. Is a "Queen Camilla" going to be acceptable to the British people?

message 22: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bentley | 26256 comments It will have to be; whether the British people like it or not. But time will tell what the future holds for both of them.

message 23: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 7953 comments I think Parliament could stop the Queen Consort title if they so desired.........and view it as a morganatic marriage. But I have a feeling that as acceptance of Camilla grows, that won't happen.
A funny aside......when Edward VIII was planning to marry Wallis Simpson, he wanted her to have the title of Duchess of Cornwall which was refused. That is the title that was given to Camilla.......funny, how times change!

message 24: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bentley | 26256 comments Things have loosened up quite a bit.

message 25: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 7953 comments The final paragraph of the book pretty well sums up the years of the Queen's reign:

".....the royal wedding of 2011 was a fitting prelude. It heightened the outlook for the House of Windsor, seventy-five years after destiny touched a ten-year-old princess and placed the burden of leadership on her small shoulders. Elizabeth II fulfilled her duty with steadfast determination and and clarity of purpose, exerting influence without grasping for power, retaining her personal humility despite her public celebrity - and above all, in good times and bad, spreading a carpet of happiness."

I know we all wish her continued good health and God Save The Queen!

message 26: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 7953 comments A special "thank you" to:

*Random House for providing us with the ARC of the book;
*Sally Bedell Smith for visiting with us and for writing a fascinating book;
*Bentley, for his guidance and valuable assistance; and
*All members who participated in the discussions with excellent comments and insight.

message 27: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bentley | 26256 comments Have to say that I echo your thanks to RH and SBS. Also thanks Jill for keeping things going on the threads.

message 28: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bryan Craig | 11066 comments Bentley wrote: "I think the Queen will do exactly as she has stated. So if and when Charles will reign and he probably will; he will be a much older man. And William will be older too."

I always wondered if Charles would not rule in favor of William. This chapter helped a lot and I think the odds are very strong that Charles would rule.

message 29: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 7953 comments Agreed, Bryan. Charles has waited a long time and is now the oldest Prince of Wales in history. In my opinion he will not step aside for William.

message 30: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bryan Craig | 11066 comments I agree, he has too much to say, anyway not to give up such an opportunity.

message 31: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bentley | 26256 comments Yes, he has been waiting for this opportunity since the day he was born; whereas the Queen herself was not; this entire situation was dropped into her very reluctant father's lap and then abruptly hers. She had not coveted the position whereas I truly believe Charles has.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch (other topics)
The King's Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sally Bedell Smith (other topics)
Mark Logue (other topics)