The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP Spring 2012 > 25.4. Sandy's task:More Fun with Words - With a Twist

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 25, 2012 04:58AM) (new)

Sandy | 5836 comments Mod
25.4. Sandy's task:More Fun with Words - With a Twist!

We enjoyed (or at least I did!) making anagrams with the initial letters of book titles last times - so we're going to do it again, with an added twist.

Book 1 - read any book you like with at least 4 words in the title. You must make a word that is at least 4 letters long, using the first letters of the words in the title. You need not use all of the letters – 4 or more. Titles and subtitles may be used.

Book 2 - read a book that has your anagram from part 1 in its title. Titles and subtitles may be used.
The book title must contain the word from the first part exactly, no variations.

Example: Suppose for Book 1, I read Garner on Language and Writing: Selected Essays and Speeches of Bryan A. Garner. I can see many words I could make – among them glow, goals, laws, glass. So, for book 2 I could read After Glow, Avoiding Prison and Other Noble Vacation Goals: Adventures in Love and Danger, The Laws of Our Fathers, City of Glass.

Or I could start by reading In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin. I could make the words half, loaf, flat, among others.
So, for my second book, I could read Half Broke Horses, Dial M For Meat Loaf, The Earth Hums in B Flat

REQUIRED: specify the word you made from the title of your first book.

Reserved

Reserved

Dee (austhokie) | 4195 comments ohhh me likey!!!

Dee wrote: "ohhh me likey!!!"

Thanks! When I was doing that task last time, I kept thinking that it would make a fun 2 book task - thanks, Chris MD!

Kathy G. wrote: "This is super!

Do these work?
A Light in the Storm: The Civil War Diary of Amelia Martin, Fenwick Island, Delaware, 1861

Then using "Maid"
Maid to Match

Than..."

That looks just fine.

Kathy G. | 1615 comments Thanks! :-)

Beth F. (quietknitter) | 427 comments Neat task!

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 885 comments This is a great task, Sandy! I loved that task during the winter challenge.

I'm not completely sure this is what I'm going to do but can I do:

Someone to Watch Over Me for book 1 and use the anagram MOST

and then read

The Girl Most Likely To... for book 2

Sassafrass wrote: "This is a great task, Sandy! I loved that task during the winter challenge.

I'm not completely sure this is what I'm going to do but can I do:

Someone to Watch Over Me for book 1 a..."

sure

★Meghan★ wrote: "Just want to check...
The Storyteller's Daughter: A Retelling of "The Arabian Nights" (ROAD)

AND

16 Lighthouse Road"

Looks good to me!

message 14: by Vicky (last edited Feb 26, 2012 01:30PM) (new)

Vicky (vnorthw) | 225 comments Can the anagram be a name? Looking to do

Captain Freedom: A Superhero's Quest for Truth, Justice, and the Celebrity He So Richly Deserves and Sasha. (Superhero, A, So, He, And)

Vicky wrote: "Can the anagram be a name? Looking to do

Captain Freedom: A Superhero's Quest for Truth, Justice, and the Celebrity He So Richly Deserves and Sasha. (Superhero, A, S..."

It can be anything that's at least 4 letters long.

Dee (austhokie) | 4195 comments i think the hardest part is finding an anagram that works with a word in a book I want to read, but I found one

There's a (Slight) Chance I Might Be Going to Hell: A Novel of Sewer Pipes, Pageant Queens, and Big Trouble
TASCIMBGTH - MAGIC

Magic In the Blood

Dee wrote: "i think the hardest part is finding an anagram that works with a word in a book I want to read, but I found one

[book:There's a (Slight) Chance I Might Be Going to Hell: A Novel of Sewer Pipes, Pa..."

There you go!

message 18: by Jennifer (last edited Feb 27, 2012 07:21AM) (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) | 324 comments How do we deal with ampersands (&) in titles? Do we leave them out or count them as "A"? The title for my first book is quite long and I'm able to make quite a few words without an "A", but I just thought I'd ask.

My first book is How the Scots Invented the Modern World: The True Story of How Western Europe's Poorest Nation Created Our World & Everything in It and for my second book, I'm undecided between Those Who Save Us (THOSE), Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (HOME), and Stones from the River (STONES).

Jennifer L. wrote: "How do we deal with ampersands (&) in titles? Do we leave them out or count them as "A"? The title for my first book is quite long and I'm able to make quite a few words without an "A", but I jus..."

the actual letter must be in the title - so an ampersand is not going to count for an "a"

Sam | 175 comments I'm not sure about this one as Post isn't in the title on its own so I wanted to check

The Virgin of Small Plains- Post
The Postmistress

Sam wrote: "I'm not sure about this one as Post isn't in the title on its own so I wanted to check

The Virgin of Small Plains- Post
The Postmistress"

No, sorry. The task requires that the word match the word in the title exactly, no variations.

Sam | 175 comments Thanks Sandy. I thought it probably wouldn't work. Back to the drawing board.

Robin (rgage) | 192 comments May we use beginning articles such as "a"? I wanted to use "A Dog Named Slugger" and then "sand" for the anagram.

Robin wrote: "May we use beginning articles such as "a"? I wanted to use "A Dog Named Slugger" and then "sand" for the anagram."

yes you can - any word in the title counts.

Kara (KaraAyako) Love this one! This is such a fantastic idea.

I'm going to do Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and Dead Until Dark.

Kara wrote: "Love this one! This is such a fantastic idea.

I'm going to do Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and Dead Until Dark."

I'm glad you like it. And your choices sound great!

Sarah (MoragEpona) | 124 comments Would Bass Ackwards and Belly Up and The Baby Planner work, with Baby being the word coming from the title of the first book?

Sarah wrote: "Would Bass Ackwards and Belly Up and The Baby Planner work, with Baby being the word coming from the title of the first book?"

Unless I'm missing something, none of the words in your first title begin with "y".

Sarah (MoragEpona) | 124 comments Oh god, sorry, it was late last night, I was looking for an anagram, any anagram... *hides*

message 32: by Nicola (last edited May 05, 2012 06:52PM) (new)

Nicola | 173 comments Hi! I was thinking of reading the non-fiction
book http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Health...

Can I useletters from the sub-title too?
The Last Innocent Hour HOUR

Nicola wrote: "Hi! I was thinking of reading the non-fiction
book http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Health...

Can I uselett..."

Subtitles can be used as long as they're part of the "official" title and subtitle of the book - that is, not just stuff written on the cover. If the book is not listed on GR, you should get a librarian to enter it for you.

message 34: by Nicola (last edited May 05, 2012 07:38PM) (new)

Nicola | 173 comments Sandy wrote: "Nicola wrote: "Hi! I was thinking of reading the non-fiction
book http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Health......"

How would I do that? Is it necessary for the task?

Nicola wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Nicola wrote: "Hi! I was thinking of reading the non-fiction
book http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Health......"

When I did a search on the ISBN in your amazon link, a listing does come up on GR.The Ultimate Healthy Snacks List Including Healthy Snacks for Adults & Healthy Snacks for Kids That link does not include a title with "o" or "r".

Nicola | 173 comments Thanks Sandy

Nicola | 173 comments I am reading : Smart School Time Recipes The Breakfast, Snack, and Lunchbox Cookbook for Healthy Kids and Adults.
can I make STAR?
SMART SCHOOL TIME RECIPES

Nicola wrote: "I am reading : Smart School Time Recipes The Breakfast, Snack, and Lunchbox Cookbook for Healthy Kids and Adults.
can I make STAR?
SMART SCHOOL TIME RECIPES"

Unfortunately, it looks as if the title is only the 4 main words - and the rest doesn't seem to be a subtitle, but rather a description.

Nicola | 173 comments Okay. On the book it looks like part of the title, and on Amazon. I was surprised it came up this way here, but that is alright. I may not be able to use it for a challenge, but I still have to feed my kids I guess!