Making Connections discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVES > MOVED - THE KEEPER OF THE STONES & WARRIORS OF THE HEYNAI by MJ Webb

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri, Book Ninja (last edited Feb 28, 2012 07:28PM) (new)

Sheri | 4044 comments Mod
Jake West  The Keeper of the Stones by M.J.  Webb Jake West - Warriors of the Heynai by M J Webb M.J. Webb

Genre: Fantasy/young adult adventure

Book 1:
Jake West: The Keeper of the Stones

When fifteen year old Jake West and his best friend, Ben Brooker, help Jake's grandfather clear his attic of the junk he's collected from his years of travelling, the boys discover an old chest containing a beautifully carved wooden box. The box contains a set of five mysterious stones and, when they erupt to emit a bright beam of light, it sparks an epic journey which will lead Jake into a dangerous world and to the discovery of some strange family secrets. The future of our world and countless others now lies in the hands of a fifteen year old boy. If he can't protect the stones.....

Book 2:
Jake West: Warriors of the Heynai

The Heynai bestowed upon the people of Estia one great weapon to fight the forces of evil, a set of five stones which possess unlimited powers. They housed them in a protective box and entrusted it to a Keeper, a guardian chosen from Earth. For centuries, the Stones and the Keepers defended their world against wizards, tyrants and armies.

Until the day that two ordinary fifteen year old boys from England broke them. In ‘Jake West – The Keeper of the Stones’ the boys fought battles, freed an entire army from slavery, and waged war against an evil wizard and his legions of murderous beasts.

Now, the beleaguered Rebel Army is marching to the city of Dassilliak, pursued by the tyrant, King Vantrax, his savage beast warlord, Sawdon, and his entire Northern Army. Ahead of them lies a sizeable enemy force which is waiting to spring a deadly trap. They are running out of time and they are in desperate need of a miracle. The only weapon they have lies in ruins. Jake West is the only one who can restore it. But Jake and the seriously wounded Ben have gone home!

Sign up below in order to receive a free copy of this ebook to read and review! All reviews should be posted on Goodreads and Amazon.

Formats available: PDF and Word

All reviews should be completed and posted within 6 to 8 weeks after you receive your copy of the ebook.

Leave us your name, email address and format required.
(B)

Mallory Heart Reviews (Ever-Haunted_Ever-Reader) | 212 comments Definitely, please! I "met" M.J. on another author's group on GR-would love to review these
Mallory Anne-Marie Forbes
Mobi please
Archie.Standwood.Author@gmail.com
thank you

(I should write a story entitled, "The Reviewing Demon" LOL)

message 3: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

Mallory, it's only available in PDF...would that work, or do you have a way to format it?

Penumbra | 63 comments This sounds good. Could I get a copy please? I'll take PDF if you don't have epub.

penumbrareads(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks!

Mallory Heart Reviews (Ever-Haunted_Ever-Reader) | 212 comments oh I can read it in PDF-I use Calibre-no problem. I just automatically ask for Mobi since I usually read on Kindle for PC:)

message 6: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

Sent your requests!

message 7: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

Mallory, I wish I could read as much and as fast as you!

Mallory Heart Reviews (Ever-Haunted_Ever-Reader) | 212 comments oh, Sheri! I do read fast-sometimes I can manage very fast, depending on the book and how interested I am-example was J. A. Beard's "The Emerald City," which I reviewed via MC-but you have no idea how much i have piled up to read-my poor Library books-I get a total of 6 weeks on them, IF they're not too new-I just got the new Anne Rice the other day, I know will not be able to renew it. I just keep asking for review books and getting those done first:) After all, I can return the Library books and reserve again-and you should see my piles of print books not yet read! I've been very fortunate in GR giveaways too the last 6 weeks..got to read and review those.:)

message 9: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

I've never read Anne Rice, but the new one looks good. I've seen ads for it on some of the GR pages. I've had to do that with library books, too...in fact recently brought back 11/22/63 without having had a chance to read it. I'm back on the waiting list for it, though :)

M.J. Webb (MJWebb) Thanks guys - sending the PDF files right now.

:-)

Mallory Heart Reviews (Ever-Haunted_Ever-Reader) | 212 comments I reviewed the first two books in the Jake West series by M. C. Webb.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
5 Stars
Jake West Book One

Author Webb knows his dialogue and uses it wisely and well. Literally from the very first sentence, I could hear the characters speaking in my mind’s ear, and because Mr. Webb chooses to begin the novel with dialogue, the reader is immediately hooked into the setting, the plot line, and into empathy elicited for the characters. Jake and his best buddy Ben are delightful boys, much more respectful of the older generations than many these days, and neither is afraid to be open about emotions, such as Jake’s for his late grandmother, whom he never knew. The characters are simultaneously very much three-dimensional, and realistically true-to-life.

Mr. Webb also excels at descriptive setting and at plotting. Although I’ve not lived any similar situations, I felt as if I was a present observer in all of the scenes, because the setting is so clearly delineated. When it comes to plotting, Mr. Webb keeps that reader’s hook fastened firmly, and speeds along the plot line so the reader neither wants to jump off this express, nor is able to turn aside from the story.

This one’s for all those kids-and adults too-who’ve always yearned to discover that their heritage is much more exotic and amazing than they’ve been told; for the young girls who’ve always wanted to be princesses; for the young boys (and men) who dream of the Age of Chivalry. For all of us who wish that life meant more than it usually does, M. J. Webb’s Jake West: Keeper of the Stones, is the book to dream by-and hope.

and:

Jake West Book Two

The first Jake West story left us, not so much with a cliffhanger, as with a strong sense of Jake’s determination. He has found his destiny, learned his purpose, and he is dedicated to living it-somehow. But Book Two again throws us into the emotional turmoil, commencing the story with Author Webb’s trademark dialogue and speedy plotting. As we know from life, once we find our destiny, events are more likely to turn topsy-turvy than they are to run straight and smooth, and this proves to also be the case for young Jake Webb, the “Keeper.”
Jake elicits reader’s empathy; he recognizes and acknowledges his emotions, positive and negative, making it easier for the reader to see him as “a real person,” someone we might actually know. And the suspension of disbelief, our ability to believe the worlds the author creates, comes easily and naturally. I had no problem switching from “real life” to the understanding of Jake’s other worlds-one just flowed naturally out of the other.

This book, like the first in Jake’s series, will appeal to YA, but also to middle-grade readers and even to adults (such as myself) because both books have so much going for them: characterisations, plotting, rapid pace, realistic emotions, and well-drawn world-building. Don’t delay in getting both of these books; set aside a nice duration to read; and get acquainted with young Jake West. You’ll be happy you did.

Mallory Heart Reviews (Ever-Haunted_Ever-Reader) | 212 comments TERRIBLY Sorry for the mistyping: M. J. Webb!

M.J. Webb (MJWebb) M J Webb is a forty-something father of two from Walsall in England. He is a full time worker and writes in his spare time, though he would love to change that fact. So far, he has penned two novels, ‘Jake West – The Keeper of the Stones’ and the sequel ‘Jake West – Warriors of the Heynai’. A third novel (as yet untitled) will complete the trilogy, though it is a work in progress which should hopefully be finished by the end of the year.
The stories tell of the adventures of fifteen year old Jake and his best friend, Ben Brooker. The teenage boys from Lichfield, England discover a box in Jake’s grandfather’s attic, a box which can not be opened by anyone other than Jake, or a member of his family. Jake opens it by accident for there are no hinges or catches of any description. By doing so, he inadvertently alerts warriors and wizards on distant worlds to it’s existence. Now he is being hunted across worlds. An epic journey has begun on which his life will be in peril every step of the way, and he is about to learn from his grandfather of some strange family secrets.
The action is fast and furious. The stakes can be no higher. If Jake West, the new ‘Keeper of the Stones’ cannot protect them, and restore them, he cannot go home and the future of our world and many others is at risk.
You can buy the novels online everywhere and you can check out M J Webb’s site at http://www.jakewest.co.uk
There is a facebook fangroup called fans of Jake West as well as an M J Webb author’s page. He is also on Twitter, Librarything and Goodreads.
For all fans of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings these books are a must. They are a compelling read and the reviews so far have been extraordinary. As with most self published authors, marketing the novels has been hard for M J Webb, given his limited free time and resources. Without the power of a large publisher and a literary agent behind him, it has been hard to reach the masses and let them know of his books, though they have been very successful for self published works. Therefore, anything to help spread the word is invaluable and greatly appreciated.

M.J. Webb (MJWebb) Mallory Anne-Marie wrote: "TERRIBLY Sorry for the mistyping: M. J. Webb!"

Thank you so very much !!! I have replied on other forums. :-)

Leigh | 72 comments I would love to read and review this. I need pdf. tommyprather@cox.net
Thank you

M.J. Webb (MJWebb) Thanks Leigh. I'll send them to you. :-)

message 17: by M.J. (last edited Mar 11, 2012 05:00AM) (new)

M.J. Webb (MJWebb) Thanks for the reviews (good and bad) guys. To highlight some points which may be helpful to future readers/reviewers;

1. These are books one and two of a three book series.
2. They are written to appeal to readers from twelve and above.
3. There are mysteries and unanswered questions in parts the answers to which are revealed in book 3.

Had a great day yesterday. Both my books are now on the shelves at a W H Smith's bookstore ! Yey!
They've been available online and on all retailer's databases, but this is the first major retailer I know of who actually has them on their shelves. :-)

Leigh | 72 comments Thank you for allowing me to read and review your books. I really enjoyed it. Here is my first review. I will have the next review shortly.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/edit/...

Leigh | 72 comments Here is my review. I look forward to your next installment.

M.J. Webb (MJWebb) Thank you so much ! I turned off the notification by mistake so apologies for delay. Your comments are wonderful and greatly appreciated.

Very best wishes,

Martin

message 21: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

The sign up page for Jake West has been moved to the Making Connections - YA Editions group:
Jake West: The Keeper of the Stones
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

Jake West: Warriors of the Heynai
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

Follow the link to sign up over there, and if you have requested a copy, please leave your review there, too!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Warriors of the Heynai (other topics)
The Keeper of the Stones (other topics)
11/22/63 (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

M.J. Webb (other topics)