A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

Game Of Thrones DVD

Comments (showing 1-50 of 166) (166 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (httpgoodreadscomdebilooskadoo) I just pre-ordered the DVD. Anyone else? I'm looking forward to its release. Woo hoo!!

message 2: by Randy (new)

Randy Mantiply | 27 comments I watched it while it was on HBO - it was really good. I also saw an interesting article about how "TV" people who never read the books were upset b/c they couldn't handle certain characters getting killed.

I'm looking forward to season 2 on HBO (starts on April 1, BTW!).

message 3: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Debbie wrote: "I just pre-ordered the DVD. Anyone else? I'm looking forward to its release. Woo hoo!!"

Thank you, Debbie.:) I didn't know about this..until now. I would definitely watch it!

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (httpgoodreadscomdebilooskadoo) Randy said: I watched it while it was on HBO - it was really good. I also saw an interesting article about how "TV" people who never read the books were upset b/c they couldn't handle certain characters getting killed.

I watched it also Randy and I really enjoyed it. I normally don't buy movies or TV shows on DVD unless I really enjoyed it and obviously I did this show. Well those TV people better get over it because of all the "surprises" in book 3. They'll never be able to handle that!!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1089 comments hahahaha, too bad for them.

message 6: by Biobi (new)

Biobi B (BiobiB) | 51 comments Pre-ordered the blu-ray a couple weeks ago. Just saw the official trailer for Season 2 on HBO.com. The comet makes an appearance, Stannis talks to Renly. awesome. I'm really hoping they put patchface in there somehow.

message 7: by Randy (new)

Randy Mantiply | 27 comments Debbie wrote: "Randy said: I watched it while it was on HBO - it was really good. I also saw an interesting article about how "TV" people who never read the books were upset b/c they couldn't handle certain char..."

The Red Wedding will blow everyone away (if they're still able to keep the series going at the point (fingers crossed)). HBO also has a trailer up for season 2 - you get to see Stannis and Melisandre.

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (lizzy_future_bestseller) | 91 comments Have it preordered already. I'm really looking forward to it! Does anyone know how far season 2 will go? I heard that it might delve into book 3 a bit? Or does it just stay in A Clash of Kings?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1089 comments I heard that they were doing one season per book but season 2 could go into book 3. Game of Thrones is sure to be on for the next three years at least.

message 10: by Terrie (new)

Terrie | 2 comments I enjoyed how closely to the book the series followed. HOWEVER, there are two things that bothered me in the show vs the book.

1. In the book, Tyrion goes to his first battle and fights... in the show, one of his own accidentally knocks him out before the battle even started.

2. In the book, Drogo takes his time with Dany and after an hour, she's "ready" (re: their wedding night). In the show, he practically just takes her.

I think in those two instances, it takes away from those three characters and their overall development (somewhat).

Any opinions? Any other differences you noted?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1089 comments I learned to stop comparing books with their movie/series adaptions. It hurts my head. As to your second point with Drago and Dany, HBO is known for its adult series so it could be HBO made that decision.

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (lizzy_future_bestseller) | 91 comments Yeah I noticed those differences in the book/series as well. The one thing that really ticked me off was the fact that they introduced Tyrion having sex instead of him spending the whole night in Winterfell's library like he did in the book. Just the fact that Martin opened Tyrion that way made me realize he was smart, not just a dwarf who loved wine and women. Maybe I'm being overly picky, but that really made me mad.

message 13: by Mach (new)

Mach | 198 comments What i disliked about the show is that they made both Cersei and Catelyn much nicer then they are in the books, unlike the bitches they are in the books.

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 129 comments This is going to sound super nitpicky, but I understand how things have to change from book to how. However, I really hate that Jon and Arya and Ned don't have the "long" stark face and grey eyes! They made the mountain huge, Cersei blonde, Varys fat... They couldn't find some grey-eyed actors?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1089 comments *shrug* guess not

message 16: by Jax (new)

Jax (Anti-Cato) | 224 comments Yeah, i didn't even bother to compare, they are necessarily different due to the media that they are being created for. It's easy for GRRM to describe characters with 'long faces and grey eyes' but a hell of a lot harder for a Casting agent to find 3 people that actually look like that AND can act. I think that Arya fits perfectly.

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 129 comments I agree that they are good actors, but for some silly reason it still bugs me. Probably because I had a strong image of them in my head for so long.
But most of the book to hbo changes don't bother me much, as it is a completely different art form.
One thing I really love from the show is the visual presentation of the different castles - they are beautifully done and so unique from each other.

message 18: by Biobi (new)

Biobi B (BiobiB) | 51 comments Game on. Pun intended.

message 19: by Debbie (last edited Mar 06, 2012 06:58PM) (new)

Debbie (httpgoodreadscomdebilooskadoo) Have you seen the previews for Season 2? The places they shot in Iceland, Croatia and Ireland are so beautiful and the producers did an excellent job in choosing those locales. They are dead on for each of the different locations in the book.

message 20: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 129 comments Debbie wrote: "Have you seen the previews for Season 2? The places they shot in Iceland, Croatia and Ireland are so beautiful and the producers did an excellent job in choosing those locales. They are dead for ..."

Yeah, especially Iron Islands look amazing!

message 21: by Terry (new)

Terry Holmes | 3 comments Ok..so I p/u the DVD and I am watching it for the first time. So far I think it's a really good series. I can't wait to finish the series.

message 22: by Jax (new)

Jax (Anti-Cato) | 224 comments it IS really good. people will complain about anything. I LOVE Peter Jackson's LOTR's trilogy, I could complain but really, he did a REALLY good job as did the producers of GOT's.

message 23: by Jax (new)

Jax (Anti-Cato) | 224 comments (i just wanted to throw LOTR's in here)

message 24: by Maggie (last edited Mar 07, 2012 08:21AM) (new)

Maggie (lacr1mation) Did you guys see the "couch sequence" on last weeks Simpsons? It was a ripoff of the opening of a GoT. I lol'd so hard!
& here it is: http://io9.com/5890410/watch-the-simp...

message 25: by Jax (new)

Jax (Anti-Cato) | 224 comments SO GOOD!

message 26: by Biobi (new)

Biobi B (BiobiB) | 51 comments That Simpson's opening was awesome!

message 27: by Terrie (new)

Terrie | 2 comments why is comparing book/show considered "complaining"? I do believe I said I liked the show... I was opening a discussion about the differences... HTT

message 28: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 129 comments the link is down, but you can find it through the fox website.

Another think I really liked about series is how they portrayed Syrio. I didn't have that much of a feel for him in the books, but I find him much more memorable now, maybe because they gave him more screen-time than I thought they might for such a minor character.

message 29: by John (new)

John (jghurey) | 15 comments "Boy, girl... You are a sword, that is all.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1089 comments Another think I really liked about series is how they portrayed Syrio. I didn't have that much of a feel for him in the books, but..."

I loved Syrio :)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1089 comments I added game of Thrones to my list disc 1 and it said it was available.

message 32: by John (new)

John (jghurey) | 15 comments I went ahead and splurged on Blu-Ray when I bought GoT recently and now I'm addicted to Blu-Ray. I might have to re-purchase LOTR.

message 33: by Weenie (new)

Weenie Just rewatched the series on DVD and enjoyed it all over again.

The children are all older on TV, eg Bran is 8 in the book but 10 on TV, Rob is only 14, about to turn 15 in the book but is 18-20 maybe on TV. Jon Snow is supposed to be the same age as Rob, a few months younger.

I'm not complaining though, as I think the casting of the Stark kids has been excellent.

message 34: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (httpgoodreadscomdebilooskadoo) I especially like the girl that plays Arya. She does a good job and I think they really hit that character dead on.

message 35: by Biobi (new)

Biobi B (BiobiB) | 51 comments The show will progress and the characters do develop quite well. The age thing with the kids is understandable for TV purposes, not to mention finding kids that can actually act. A lot of the adult characters are a lot older than in the books, I agree. Ned's supposed to be mid-thirties I believe, Sean Bean has to be around 50 or so. However, you will be pleasantly surprised at how the show follows the book quite well. Some of the liberties the writers took (added scenes) turn out pretty good also.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1089 comments Marjorie wrote: "I got the first disc from Netflix, watched it last night.

I enjoyed it but I didn't think it was quite as "amazing" as I had been led to believe. Maybe it's a case of expectations built up too ..."

Catelyn is supposed to be in her 30's. However, people in that time period were considered old at that age. If you think of it historically, I picture the Middle Ages.

message 37: by John (new)

John (jghurey) | 15 comments I finished the series today. It was excellent. It looked good. I think they cast everyone really well. All the Stark children are phenominal. The Cleganes are awesome. And as I've seen many comments on Syrio steals the show. I love the line, "girl, boy, you are a sword." I'm don't remember if it's in the book but I was pumping my fist at that point. Like I said, I loved it but interestingly enough took issue with one detail right at the end of episode 10 involving Danaerys. If you know what I'm talking about, am I alone in this? It has no bearing on the story but I was disappointed when I did not see what I expected.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1089 comments I was happy with the casting of Sam Tarly.

message 39: by Biobi (new)

Biobi B (BiobiB) | 51 comments Cersei & Robert's child was added to the show. The incest will become more brought up as the series moves on. Ned should already be investigating by now.

message 40: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 129 comments John wrote: "I finished the series today. It was excellent. It looked good. I think they cast everyone really well. All the Stark children are phenominal. The Cleganes are awesome. And as I've seen many c..."

John, do you mean the hair thing? 'Cause that bothers me a lot.

message 41: by John (new)

John (jghurey) | 15 comments Stephanie wrote: "John wrote: "I finished the series today. It was excellent. It looked good. I think they cast everyone really well. All the Stark children are phenominal. The Cleganes are awesome. And as I'v..."

Yes; why would GRRM go out of his way to make it a detail that her hair is gone if it wasn't important? Isn't her hair growing back a metaphor for her growing into a powerful leader? TG used hair as a measure of social status and rank in SOT. Hair is important. You don't mess with women's hair and men's beards.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1089 comments I think they were. Catelyn is not the most likeable of characters. I like her though.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1089 comments I thought Jon came to Winterfell as a baby after Catelyn was married to Ned.

I love Jon Snow as well and I like Catelyn. I don't hate Cat for making the mistakes she did. I am not saying they weren't mistakes. As for taking Tyrion prisoner. She was misinformed, I feel. Just because she completely trusts Littlefinger doesn't make him trustworthy. I think he has proven to be the opposite.

message 44: by John (new)

John (LaLoLee) | 1 comments Dvd? DVD!??? Hell no. Once you go blu there's no going back.

message 45: by Jax (new)

Jax (Anti-Cato) | 224 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I thought Jon came to Winterfell as a baby after Catelyn was married to Ned.

I love Jon Snow as well and I like Catelyn. I don't hate Cat for making the mistakes she did. I am not saying they wer..."

Yeah, i agree, Ned came back to Winterfell with Jon then knocked Catelyn up (or Catelyn was already knocked up)

I don't hate Catelyn and I don't loooooove Jon but I do like their relationship :)

message 46: by Tatiyana (new)

Tatiyana White (ttynwhite) | 4 comments Jax wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I thought Jon came to Winterfell as a baby after Catelyn was married to Ned.

I love Jon Snow as well and I like Catelyn. I don't hate Cat for making the mistakes s..."

I'm guessing she already was because in the first novel it's briefly mentioned that Jon and Robb are the same age. Doesn't mean Ned knocked her up shortly after his return but I doubt she would allow that so soon after seeing him bring a baby home. Lol!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1089 comments He could have knocked her up before he went off to war.

message 48: by Jax (new)

Jax (Anti-Cato) | 224 comments Maybe Brandon knocked her up before HE left. Wouldn't that have been interesting?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1089 comments It is a possibility. Still make Robb a Stark.

message 50: by Jax (new)

Jax (Anti-Cato) | 224 comments yeah, but not Ned's son.

« previous 1 3 4

unread topics | mark unread