The Sword and Laser discussion

The Lies of Locke Lamora > Lies of the Mistborn

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dezmond Finney | 11 comments The books that I read just before starting this book was Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. I really think that this book could be the story of Kelsier and his early days. Or Kelsier's twin from another universe. Anyone else think so?

Nicholas | 27 comments I've been finding it impossible not to notice the similarities to Mistborn myself. Although the tone couldn't be more different, the characters and settings are familiar enough that you can't help but compare them a little.

terpkristin | 2614 comments I think that can be said for many fantasy novels. That said, yeah, it does have many similarities with Mistborn.

Nicholas | 27 comments I think it's unfair to downplay the similarities like that. Most fantasy novels are not about a thieving crew pulling the ultimate heist rather than the typical quest. Most fantasy novels are not compared to Oceans 11 rather than Lord of the Rings--but both Mistborn and Lock Lamora are.

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 769 comments Well they came out a month apart, maybe there was just something in the air back in the heady days of 2006.
(I haven't actually read Mistborn).

message 6: by Nicholas (last edited Feb 24, 2012 03:42PM) (new)

Nicholas | 27 comments It's kind of funny that Mistborn can be so unique and yet so similar to things that came out RIGHT at the same time. It's also got a lot in common with the anime Gurren Lagann, which came out the same year. But I can't say more without spoiling one or both of those stories.

It's just weird, because it's not ripping off any of those things; they came out too close together. But these ideas go unused for so long and then multiple people stumble across them at once? It's odd.

Boots (Rubberboots) | 499 comments I've only just read the prologue but my first thought was The Lies of Artful Dodger and in this version Oliver Twist was probably one of the first orphans hanged.

aldenoneil | 999 comments Boots wrote: "I've only just read the prologue but my first thought was The Lies of Artful Dodger and in this version Oliver Twist was probably one of the first orphans hanged."

Yep - that was my immediate impression, too, especially because of the Thiefmaker/Fagin homage.

If this book were a musical I might enjoy it more.

Dezmond Finney | 11 comments I have just finished the book. I thought, when I started the book, that it had a Oliver Twist thing going too. What it turned into was more Kevin Mitnick meets magic. What I really liked was something that both Mistborn and Lies managed to pull of that few other books (or even movies) in heist-style genres can do. They maintain both excitement and mystery while giving me, as a reader, the satisfaction of getting some answers. Kelsier had a saying in Mistborn: "There's always another secret". This series seems to be going the same direction. I was satisfied with the way that the Mistborn series ended and hope that this one can do the same.

Leavey | 81 comments Maybe it is a new trope? Instead of "the mideval quest" we now get "the renaissance heist story"?

Boots (Rubberboots) | 499 comments Barry wrote: "If this book were a musical I might enjoy it more."

As long as there's a Locke Lamora version of 'You've Got To Pick A Pocket Or Two'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HazQl...

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 600 comments I heard an interview with Brandon Sanderson where he commented on how he heard about Lynch's book right when they were both about to be published.

Kind of an awkward coincidence, though I must say I enjoyed Mistborn more. Lies of Locke Lamora is a good read, but I prefer Sanderson's writing.

running_target (running_t4rg3t) | 52 comments Everything I hated about Mistborn, and I DESPISED Mistborn, I love about Lies. Sanderson's characters were totally one dimensional, his dialogue was bland and predictable, his setting was lifeless and uninteresting. . . I hated everything about it.

I have totally bought into Lynch's world, the dialogue is a constant treat and his characters are fleshed-out and . . . just. . . great.

I had no interest in reading this book and assumed it would be crap like Mistborn, but I've never been happier to be wrong.

Add Lynch to the growing list of "great authors I read thanks to S&L."

Courtney (CourtneyAnine) | 7 comments I haven't read Mistborn but I love Locke Lamora. I read it in 24 hours. Now I'm listening to Red Seas under Red Skies from Audible. That way I can keep working and still enjoy the story. The narrator is quite good. The only thing I've read by Sanderson is his completion of the Robert Jordan novels. I think he did an excellent job with keeping the continuity and portraying the characters accurately. I don't know if I want to read Mistborn or not.

Boots (Rubberboots) | 499 comments I found the Mistborn series to have more of a religious tone to it compared to Locke Lamora. But I would still recommend it, I think if you like fantasy there's a pretty good chance you will like Mistborn. Sanderson created an incredible magic system for the Mistborn series and I would say it's worth reading for that alone.

Courtney (CourtneyAnine) | 7 comments Boots wrote: "I found the Mistborn series to have more of a religious tone to it compared to Locke Lamora. But I would still recommend it, I think if you like fantasy there's a pretty good chance you will like M..."

Thanks, Boots. I'll give it a try.
Courtney

unread topics | mark unread