The Sword and Laser discussion

Scifi / Fantasy News > JK Rowling to pen first adult novel

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nick (Whyzen) | 1203 comments http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainme...

Did a double take at the BBC's article title. For a short time I thought she had gone the way of Anne Rice. Wish it would say what genre her new novel will be.

Jill | 34 comments Interesting - I lemmed HP at book 2 but I'll probably buy this to see what she manages for an adult audience.

Skip | 462 comments Whoever wrote that headline knew what they were doing.

I don’t envy her challenge. Anything less than Harry Potter is going to be viewed as a disappointment, fairly or unfairly. She also obviously likes to write. I saw her discuss writing, and do a reading with Stephen King and John Irving, and she is a writing geek. Not having to finish a series should give her more time to write and edit.

Also, seeing Stephen King read the short story that became the pie eating contest in “Stand by Me”, is worth whatever you have to pay.

Denis Pedersen | 56 comments "When the final instalment of the book series went on sale in 2007, thousands of copies sold in minutes. "

LOL understatement of the year

message 5: by Bookshelf (last edited Feb 24, 2012 10:52AM) (new)

Bookshelf | 1126 comments A shirtless Harry Potter on the cover. A semi-shirtless girl on one arm and sword in the other.
;-)
Seriously,
I think she'll come up with something good.

Jill | 34 comments Skip wrote: "Also, seeing Stephen King read the short story that became the pie eating contest in “Stand by Me”, is worth whatever you have to pay."

The last time King wrote a 'short story' :)

Doug S. (dougoftheabaci) | 248 comments Jill wrote: "Interesting - I lemmed HP at book 2 but I'll probably buy this to see what she manages for an adult audience."

I would just say that the later books are actually pretty good. Aside from the ending. She really screwed up some of the logic there. Then the whole train scene with the kids... I know why she did it but I still think it wasn't worth ruining an entire series over.

Still, she does very well in writing dark literature. The later books are so dark at times, I want to see what she can do when she doesn't have to worry about kids reading it. Though, the question one has when an author goes from children's lit. to adult lit. is will she start adding in "adult themes" to make it adult or will she just let it happen as part of the story? I hope the latter as it's always painfully obvious when it's the former.

Jill | 34 comments Yeah, being in Edinburgh, HP is everywhere and most people I know read and loved the books. If they get better later in the series I might go back to them at some point but I have so many other books on the TBR shelf at the moment that Harry will just have to wait.

message 9: by Boots (last edited Feb 26, 2012 01:18PM) (new)

Boots (Rubberboots) | 499 comments I hope she doesn't write a vampire romance novel.

Also, I'd say the Harry Potter series is worth reading, they're better than the movies in my opinion.

Doug S. (dougoftheabaci) | 248 comments I hope she does because she might actually do it right. I wouldn't mind as long as they don't sparkle and people actually die. I mean, these are creatures that kill things to survive.

I'm watching the new Twilight as I type. In my defense, there is Rifftrax.

Boots (Rubberboots) | 499 comments The problem with vampires is the fact that they are dead, so anyone who has sex with them is technically a necrophile and that's nasty. Oh and the whole werewolf thing equals bestiality and that's nasty too, although maybe not as nasty as the dead guy thing.

Not that any of this has anything to do with J.K. Rowling, off topic a bit, sorry about that.

Quasar | 32 comments The rumour has been its a crime book.

Dharmakirti | 535 comments Boots wrote: "The problem with vampires is the fact that they are dead, so anyone who has sex with them is technically a necrophile and that's nasty. Oh and the whole werewolf thing equals bestiality and that's ..."

But vampires aren't dead. They are undead. Is it still necrophilia?

Doug S. (dougoftheabaci) | 248 comments Somewhere between necrophilia and bestiality, I would imagine. Odd as it may seem, I don't spend a great deal of time trying to categorize human-vampire-relations...

I quest the question is whether or not a vampire is technically a corpse. Their vascular system doesn't work but their neurological system does. Depending on how you choose to define alive you could say that vampires are quite alive; seeing as the respond to external stimuli, metabolize nutrients and reproduce (in varying fashions).

So, at least in scientific terms, vampires are alive. Thus necrophilia is out as they're not technically a walking corpse.

So we're back to bestiality... Are vampires animals? Hmm... Are they still human? Just... a different kind of human?

Screw the original topic, this is far more interesting.

Boots (Rubberboots) | 499 comments Apparently I spend too much time trying to categorize human-vampire-werewolf-relations and I blame Paranormal Romance. If it wasn't for Paranormal Romance I wouldn't even consider the topic but when I started to hear that there are teen-aged girls that have crushes on these fictional creatures I thought about why, for like a minute or two.

As far as the bestiality thing goes I was referring to Werewolves, sorry I was kind of all over the place with that statement. So I'll start with that first.

Werewolves are part canine so I have to assume that if a normal person has relations with one it would be considered bestiality. Also how did humans even get this condition in the first place, someone must have had relations with a wolf or something and caught wolf-aids, which in turn created the first werewolf who then passed it along to teen-aged girls/boys who think they are hot.

Moving on to vampires, according to Wikipedia - which we all know is an incredibly accurate source - ' Undead is a collective name for fictional, mythological, or legendary beings that are deceased and yet behave as if alive. It could also describe a dead body animated by supernatural forces (or some other life force) or by either its own soul or the soul of a malevolent creature (such as a demon). '

So as far as vampires are concerned their bodies are considered to be deceased and they continue to function on a supernatural force. So I submit that when people have cold-bodied, corpse-rotting, probably smelly sex with vampires, that it is indeed necrophilia, and that's naaaasty.

Oh and uh, I hope Rowling does write a crime novel I think she would be good at it.

unread topics | mark unread