Chicks On Lit discussion

Girl Talk > Email Etiquette; what do you think?

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mary (MaryBT) | 336 comments Let's say there's someone you know as an acquaintance and he or she is involved in direct sales (Scentsy, Mary Kay, Avon, Thirty-One, Tupperware, etc.) and another friend has a home party and invites you. Then you do not attend that home party. Do you think it's appropriate for the direct sales rep to add your email address to his or her email list and send you updates about their products and/or services?

What if the rep gets your email through an otherwise unrelated event such as a social event and then adds you to his or her email list?

Viola | 979 comments I'm not sure about the etiquette part of it, but I think all you do is contact the rep and ask to be removed from his or her email list. That's all.

Yes, it does seem to be not in good form, but people will do whatever it is that they need to do to survive. I think it's an easily forgivable offense with a simple solution.

message 3: by Mary (last edited Feb 22, 2012 07:52AM) (new)

Mary (MaryBT) | 336 comments Oh yes, I'm not going to quit speaking to them (it's happened with more than one person) over it or anything. lol. And it doesn't bother me to click "unsubscribe."

It was the actual harvesting of the email addresses that I was just curious how others felt about.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 4166 comments I do sell Avon and emails only go out to people who want to be emailed. People don't have to give me their full information. I have one lady who didn't want to give out her address. There are other ways of getting information to them.

message 5: by Abby (last edited Feb 23, 2012 03:36AM) (new)

Abby | 114 comments I would both unsubscribe and contact the friend/acquaintance directly asking not to be included in future emails. I think it is in very bad taste.

Mary (MaryBT) | 336 comments That's my gut reaction. But then I think, "Well what's the difference between harvesting my email and getting my physical address from the internet to mail me a catalog?" (Or buy my physical address from a 3rd party. We don't have a home phone so I'm unlisted in the phonebook.) I mean your physical address seems much more intimate than email.

I don't know. Like I said, it's not a huge disaster and I'm not going to let it ruin my life or anything. Just wondering what other people's thoughts were.

Jayme - I used to sell Avon. For a long time. I really enjoyed it. :)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 4166 comments I would definitely let the friend and acquaintance know you didn't want your email given out. know

Irene | 1638 comments Mary, I sell Mary Kay and would never use an email address or snail mail address that was not provided directly by the person I was trying to reach. My feel is that there are lots and lots of home consultants out there. It is easy for folks to feel overwhelmed. If someone feels violated or taken advantage of, it will negatively impact their opinion of the product and/or company. One person with a bad experience talking casually with family or friends can do more damage to my reputation than I can gain in good feelings by people I might reach by a direct mailing. So, I just will not do it.

Scout (goodreadscomscout) This has only happened once on Goodreads, but I posted something about having a health problem and was sent a message by someone who wasn't a friend. The first message was benign; the next mentioned a product that I could buy from the sender. I ignored the message, and she went away, but I thought this was in poor taste.

Elizabeth Rose (thesingingroses) | 4 comments I would agree. If it's something you wouldn't just go up and say to someone in person, then it shouldn't be said in e-mail, even if you are friends. I doubt this person would continuously mention their product via face-to-face conversation! Though it's a bit different with social media, especially if they had a page that you liked and it showed up on your feed... but e-mail is a bit more personal, these days.

message 11: by Louise (last edited Feb 08, 2013 09:26AM) (new)

Louise | 55 comments Here in Denmark you can - if you are a company - get a 1000 dollar fine, for adding someone's email to a commercial mailinglist without getting their permission...

Julie | 54 comments Louise wrote: "Here in Denmark you can - if you are a company - get a 1000 dollar fine, for adding someone's email og a commercial mailinglist without getting their permission..."

No wonder Denmark is listed as one of the top 5 happy places to live!

Pauline | 37 comments Yay for Denmark!
Although the situation is improving, I'm still surprised how often organizations send out emails with no Unsubscribe link.

unread topics | mark unread