Q&A with Stacia Kane discussion

Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4)
This topic is about Sacrificial Magic
SACRIFICIAL MAGIC (SPOILERS) > SACRIFICIAL MAGIC (SPOILERS)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 179) (179 new)    post a comment »

Stacia Kane (staciakane) | 157 comments Mod
Just what the title says. Keep all spoiler-y discussion here; share the parts you liked, ask questions, whatever you want! (If you have NOT read SACRIFICIAL MAGIC and do NOT want to be spoiled, you might not want to read in here!)

Jamie | 42 comments (view spoiler)

Becky  (bucktuskl) | 13 comments (view spoiler)

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* | 11 comments (view spoiler)

MISS VAIN (brandybaxter) | 18 comments (view spoiler)

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (LauraLittleReadRidingHood) | 148 comments I wish I had already read it! I can't wait, I pre-ordered it as soon as I finished reading the first 3, which I read all of in about 2 days. :-)

Nita (gillnit) I don't know if my questions can be considered spoilery, but I will post them here just in case.

I'm fascinated by the Church. Chess seems to have a deep devotion and trust in her employers. You've been giving us snippets of the Church's history, and in this book you mentioned origins with Salem, which I had kind of guessed on with the way Church employees address each other. I hope you keep giving us those snippets of history. But my question is - Chess seems to have a lot of trust in the Church; is that trust warranted?

I'm also curious about her reaction to the City of the Dead. It seems very different from other people's reactions who enter the City. You've mentioned her reaction more than once, and it has stuck in my brain as something important. Is it important?

Thanks for writing such awesome books! And for doing this Q&A.

MISS VAIN (brandybaxter) | 18 comments Laura, keep reading the series gets more awesome with each book.

Nita, I was under the impression that most people that speak so highly in reference to The City have never witnessed it for themselves. Because in SM Chess talks to ghosts and the ghosts makes references to how treacherous The City really is. I assumed the Church wants everyone to be disillusioned by The City, and think of it as spectacular when it's not.

But I'm sure Stacia, can answer more accurately LOL

Jamie | 42 comments That spoiler you posted about Lex and Beulah - that's what I was getting at, and I TOTALLY agree with you. I think it will be interesting to see how Lex changes - with him taking over the "family business" and a serious GF.

But when Buelah was talking about that chick, Lex didn't seem to want Chess to know about it. That's why I was thinking that Lex has a real thing for Chess. And as much as Chess is attracted to and likes Lex, I think it was obvious, especially after that last scene following the "new Chess" showdown (where she was mugging down with Terrible in front of Lex and Beulah - yes I said "mugging down" lol) that Lex isn't going to get Chess if he's playing fair. I think Lex saw first hand how strong Terrible and Chess are connected in that scene. And I will be interested in seeing Chess' reaction to Lex's GF. I

MISS VAIN (brandybaxter) | 18 comments Yeah your probably right about the reason Lex didn't want Chess to know about the new girl because he likes Chess...but my first impression was that he didn't want Chess to know he had a girl because he liked the girl....Ughhhhh. LOL. Funny how we both interpreted it the opposite. LOL. You're probably more accurate with your assssment though.

I bet Chess will be jealous if Lex has a gf, but more in a jealous over an ex moving on than she would be over Terrible. I think she likes the attention Lex gives her. Now if Terrible got a new gf both Chess and I would have a heart attack! Ha.

"mugging down" I love it when you talk ghetto to me!;)

A few people have asked about the timing (in dramatic time) of the short stories. (view spoiler)

Oh, and (view spoiler)

Jen (Red Hot Books) (JenMartin1) | 6 comments Awesome! Thanks for letting us know.

Jamie | 42 comments Stacia wrote: "A few people have asked about the timing (in dramatic time) of the short stories. [spoilers removed]

Oh, and [spoilers removed]"

Thanks - I thought Home (view spoiler)

MISS VAIN (brandybaxter) | 18 comments Thank you Stacia!! That novella information makes so very happy and even more excited for Chasing Magic, if that's possible.:)) YAY!

Jamie | 42 comments MISS VAIN wrote: "Thank you Stacia!! That novella information makes so very happy and even more excited for Chasing Magic, if that's possible.:)) YAY!"

DId you read that snippet for CM, yet?

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* | 11 comments That makes a lot of sense Stacia, because there was a part toward the end of SM where Chess says something about Terrible being her "Home". :)

Where is this talk of Lex having a serious GF? I thought the mention of that girl just seemed like he was seeing a girl. I didn't get the impression it was really serious. Did I miss something?

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* | 11 comments Ooooh, thank you Jamie for reminding me I can FINALLY reading the synopsis for CM!!!

Whose drugs do you think will be tainted with the magic spell, Bump's or Lex's?? Interesting. :)

Jamie | 42 comments It could go either way. I most interested in Chess' reaction. She started realizing that the drugs were hurting more people than just her in SM. The oD victim left an impression on her. Now it seems that she mistakenly OD's in CM. I wonder if this will change her tune re: drugs. Could you imagine Terrible finding her dead or near death from an OD?

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* | 11 comments What were the circumstances surrounding her near OD in Cog or UM (can't remember which it was in). Ya know, when she was ODing on Dream I think and was in the alley. It was not supposed to be funny, but some of the things she was saying and thinking were very funny. And Terrible comes and rescues her even though she doesn't think he will because they're not talking or whatever.

Anywho, my question is, how did that happen again? Did she accidentally do that to herself or did someone OD her? I can't remember and it's one of my favorite scenes. :/

Becky  (bucktuskl) | 13 comments Someone gave it to her, but for the life of me I can't remember who now. I just loved how Lex and Terrible worked together to find her :)

Jamie | 42 comments She was trying to bust the bad guys (there was crazy psychopomp action) and she managed to get away and ended up in the dumpster. She was really flippin' high, and finally made her way out of the dumpster and was able to make her fingers work to call Terrible. Terrible and Lex were already out looking for her - I think Lex answered Terrible's phone because Terrible was driving. Nevertheless, they found her in the parking lot of a convenience store. That OD in CoG was not her fault.

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* | 11 comments That's what I thought. I want to go back and find that whole part now. I remember being really into that whole scene.

Becky  (bucktuskl) | 13 comments She called Lex because she didn't have Terrible's number (since he changed it), but all she said when he answered was "Terrible".

Jamie | 42 comments Becky Salvatore-Russell-Cullen-Northman-Lord wrote: "She called Lex because she didn't have Terrible's number (since he changed it), but all she said when he answered was "Terrible"."

Yes - forgot about Terrible changing his number. That was so painful. The kick in the back, the changed phone number...oh, the angst!

MISS VAIN (brandybaxter) | 18 comments I'm barely getting this notification and I was going to say the same as Becky, he changed his number...the kick to back really upset me. I could never forget that especially :(.

Lauren/Cassie gave Chess the OD; it was supposed to kill her (in a more humane way than shooting/stabbing/what have you, as a "Thank you" because Chess saved Lauren in the fire) but of course L/C didn't know that Chess has *ahem* a pretty high tolerance level for opiates.

As for Lex...Miss Vain is essentially right. He didn't want Chess to know because he kind of likes the girl (and also because he just kind of feels weird about it). I think if you've read SM you know that the C/L relationship really wasn't as casual for either of them as Chess made it out to be, or rather, it was, but it was still an actual relationship. They both knew it didn't have a future but it was still a little less "just friends" than Chess liked to play it as. She just didn't want to see it/admit it.

Oh, and as for Terrible taking her down in C0G: he was being gentle with her, but he didn't want her to think he wouldn't do it. He wanted to prove to her that he didn't care about her anymore (which hopefully it was apparent that he couldn't completely manage that).

Jamie | 42 comments Stacia wrote: "Oh, and as for Terrible taking her down in C0G: he was being gentle with her, but he didn't want her to think he wouldn't do it. He wanted to prove to her that he didn't care about her anymore (whi..."

It was apparent that Terrible couldn't manage not caring about Chess. But gentle or not, that kick to the back was harsh to read for Chess. When I read that, I had to quickly do a re-read to make sure I read it right - that he actually kicked her!

Good - I'm glad Lex likes some other girl, lol! You go, Vain!

AH This book blew me away. (view spoiler)

MISS VAIN (brandybaxter) | 18 comments Well thank you for confirming my thoughts Stacia!:) I'm glad Lex is going to have someone to keep both him and Chess away from each other.:)
I'm happy you also spoke in reference to when Terrible kicked her, I didn't realize it was as gentle as it was...
I love Terrible.*sigh*

Jamie, *brushes the dirt off my shoulder!* hehe

Jamie | 42 comments MISS VAIN wrote: "Well thank you for confirming my thoughts Stacia!:) I'm glad Lex is going to have someone to keep both him and Chess away from each other.:)
I'm happy you also spoke in reference to when Terrible k..."

I didn't read it as gentle, either, Vain. I took it as a personal affront, lol ;-)

He didn't actually *kick* her; he tackled her, basically, and held her on her stomach on the floor with her arm pinned behind her and his knee in her back keeping her down. :-)

Jamie | 42 comments Stacia wrote: "He didn't actually *kick* her; he tackled her, basically, and held her on her stomach on the floor with her arm pinned behind her and his knee in her back keeping her down. :-)"

See - I was so wrapped up in the angst of Terrible touching her in an unfriendly way that my mind must have made it into a kick, lol! No - I remember he kneed her in the back, and I was beside myself, even though Terrible was hurting.

MISS VAIN (brandybaxter) | 18 comments Stacia wrote: "He didn't actually *kick* her; he tackled her, basically, and held her on her stomach on the floor with her arm pinned behind her and his knee in her back keeping her down. :-)"

Okay that makes me feel much better. I actually remember it like that now that you reminded me, to be honest I read that book over a year ago do some things can get foggy!;) I <3 Terrible. Chess is awesome too!;)

Becky  (bucktuskl) | 13 comments AH wrote: "This book blew me away. [spoilers removed]"

Me too. My favorite Terrible line is when he says "Whatany you want Chessiebomb." :)

Becky  (bucktuskl) | 13 comments Jamie wrote: "Stacia wrote: "He didn't actually *kick* her; he tackled her, basically, and held her on her stomach on the floor with her arm pinned behind her and his knee in her back keeping her down. :-)"

See..."

I was so surprised when he was that rough with her, but on the other hand it serves her right for all the crap she put him through :(

Jamie | 42 comments Becky Salvatore-Russell-Cullen-Northman-Lord wrote: "AH wrote: "This book blew me away. [spoilers removed]"

Me too. My favorite Terrible line is when he says "Whatany you want Chessiebomb." :)"

Me, too, Becky :) I literally flagged 30 passages on my Kindle while reading this book. I had a hard time deciding which quotes to use in my review!

Jamie | 42 comments Becky Salvatore-Russell-Cullen-Northman-Lord wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Stacia wrote: "He didn't actually *kick* her; he tackled her, basically, and held her on her stomach on the floor with her arm pinned behind her and his knee in her back keeping her d..."

I kind of have to agree with you Becky. And it's awful, because I know that Chess is so deeply damaged, but I couldn't fault Terrible's reaction to her, either.

AH I'm afraid to use the quotes in my review. Don't want to spoil....

MISS VAIN (brandybaxter) | 18 comments AH I always go overboard with my quotes in my review!:)

Terrible was just reacting because she hurt him so bad, I was never upset with him. I'm never mad at Chess either....I just love them soooo much!;) I want like 25 Unholy Ghosts books!;)

Becky  (bucktuskl) | 13 comments Jamie wrote: "Becky Salvatore-Russell-Cullen-Northman-Lord wrote: "AH wrote: "This book blew me away. [spoilers removed]"

Me too. My favorite Terrible line is when he says "Whatany you want Chessiebomb." :)"
..."

I totally forgot to bookmark all the Terrible quotes I wanted. Now I'll have to try to remember them all, that will never happen :(

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* | 11 comments OMG Vain I did the same thing! "Bookmarked" so many quotes on my Kindle!

AH - I just always make sure I'm not using a quote that might be a spoiler for anyone. Sometimes I omit the names in the quote or something like that to keep it un-spoilery.

BTW I LOVE that Stacia just couldn't stay away! You're not supposed to have to answer questions for a while yet ma'am!

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* | 11 comments Did I mention yet how much I love the possibility of Chess and Blue/Beulah being 'maybe-kinda-eh' friends?? I would love to see that relationship grow. Chess was so uncomfortable with Blue/Beulah toward the end of the book, it was great! I love whenever someone gets emotional around her or tries to hug her, she is so lost as to what to do!

MISS VAIN (brandybaxter) | 18 comments I like the two of them being friends as well Christen.:) Chess needs a female friend she can chat it up about girlie stuff!;)

Christen a.k.a. Goldilox wrote: "BTW I LOVE that Stacia just couldn't stay away! You're not supposed to have to answer questions for a while yet ma'am!"

I'm sorry! I just didn't want you all to think I was ignoring you!

I shall stay out until the 20th. :-)

MISS VAIN (brandybaxter) | 18 comments No, we enjoy your answering our questions. Don't listen to Christen! Lol

Becky  (bucktuskl) | 13 comments MISS VAIN wrote: "Well thank you for confirming my thoughts Stacia!:) I'm glad Lex is going to have someone to keep both him and Chess away from each other.:)
I'm happy you also spoke in reference to when Terrible k..."

I'm afraid that Lex having a girlfriend(?) will just make Chess jealous and bring her back to him. Knowing Chess this seems like a likely thing for her to do since she has a habit of breaking Terrible's heart. As for Blue- I hope this is a budding relationship. Chess needs a friend :)

Becky  (bucktuskl) | 13 comments Stacia wrote: "Christen a.k.a. Goldilox wrote: "BTW I LOVE that Stacia just couldn't stay away! You're not supposed to have to answer questions for a while yet ma'am!"

I'm sorry! I just didn't want you all to ..."

Please don't, we love you answering our questions :)

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* | 11 comments Hahaha! No, we love it Stacia! Visit and chat ALL you want! :)

Emily | 110 comments Stacia wrote: "He didn't actually *kick* her; he tackled her, basically, and held her on her stomach on the floor with her arm pinned behind her and his knee in her back keeping her down. :-)"

I got that he was being more gentle than he could have been Stacia. I couldn't believe the scene and had to re read it :)

« previous 1 3 4

unread topics | mark unread