Fans of The Hollows series by Kim Harrison discussion

A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
This topic is about A Perfect Blood
A Perfect Blood (Beware of spoilers)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 106) (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments So did you guys love it? Hate it? Let's hear it! I overall loved it. I thought it was a good blend of old school and new school Hollows. And after the ending I feel like the next book will be pretty epic!

Raquel (UF_Junkie) | 19 comments I loved it, but I feel cheated at the end. It's probably because I don't feel I've got closure. It was like the book was on repeat. Rache looks for bad guy, finds bad guy, loses bad guy, finds bad guy, loses bad guy. Then there's the mysterious group, I.S, and FIB. No information is given for the spec ops team or their motives- that annoys me. Will we see them later on, or are they just gone for good? It was just an in and out, and lets screw Rachel over. Also, towards the end, I couldn't understand why Felix and the I.S didn't trust Rachel after everything she did. She provided the leads that led to the suspects and more! If it hadn't been for the I.S trying to pin the murders on Rache or FIB sabotaging the crime scene, it would have been a quick case closed. I just figure Rachel deserved more than a slap in the face. She's gone through so much, and no slack is given.

As far as characters go, what was up with Glenn, Wayde, and Trent? The fact that Glenn is leaving just seems weird and abrupt. There wasn't even a goodbye or hey thanks Rache for everything, I'll miss you. More of a slam-the-door-in-your-face thing.

Wayde. I like him, but why was he there? It was more of him trying to prove his place in the story. I can see potential for him, but it wasn't in this book.

Last, Trent. I'm hesitant about their relationship. I don't think he's right for her. She has morals, and his are just too loose. Maybe it's being rushed too fast, or I haven't given it enough time. I'll just wait for the next book to see how this plays out.

Overall though I enjoyed it. It was awesome to see Rachel surviving without magic. It shows she has great investigation skills, and she isn't helpless or the destructive force like others believe.

message 3: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Feb 22, 2012 07:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments The books definitely felt like filler, but I actually enjoyed the chase. Felix and the I.S. to me just seemed very stubborn. They don’t want to see Rachel as the good person that she is and it’s very “human” to remain prejudiced.

I didn’t really like Glenn’s departure either. I’m sure he probably said his proper goodbyes and Kim just didn’t show the scene, but I wish it was handled better since he’s been in this series for a long time. I wasn’t really expecting that from his character.

I wasn’t a big fan of Wayde at all. He was okay, but I didn’t feel like he added anything to the story aside from showing a bit more Were representation.

As for Trent, they technically still aren’t together and it’s been 10 books now (and it ends at 12, with a possible bonus 13) so I don’t really think it’s moving fast at all. I think Kim is handling it just right to make it a gradual process and not completely out of nowhere. Most of the important people in Rachel’s life have questionable morals, be it Nick, Kisten, Ivy, Jenks, Al, or Pierce. The only one who’s been squeaky clean has been Marshall, but we kind of see where that ended up. Getting herself shunned sort of ruined that, and then here we saw that there just wasn't anything to rekindle.

So yeah, the book wasn’t perfect but it really left me pumped for the next one.

Raquel (UF_Junkie) | 19 comments VampireNovelFan wrote: "The books definitely felt like filler, but I actually enjoyed the chase. Felix and the I.S. to me just seemed very stubborn. They don’t want to see Rachel as the good person that she is and it’s ..."

I definitely agree. I guess it's because I don't trust Trent completely yet. I'm confused lmao. I think I'll have to reread the series to get a better understanding.

message 5: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Feb 22, 2012 10:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments I think he's come leaps and bounds though, losing fingers (and almost his life) for her and then still standing up to Al like he did in his office. Then at the end it was pretty dangerous too, but he is surprisingly the thrill seeker.

Raquel (UF_Junkie) | 19 comments I'm guessing I'm leery because of the comment he made about selling his products to the funders of HAPA/specops team or something to that effect. That's what makes me upset. But perhaps he was joking? dunno. Don't get me wrong, I love Trent- the question is if he's right for Rache ;D

I'm defnitely looking forward to the next book and wondering what it's going to be about. Kim is always full of surprises.

message 7: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Feb 22, 2012 12:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments He said that his father owned the patent on the drugs, so it seems as if it started there. And those people were the Men in Black types. They didn't seem like villians per se, but definitely a secret agency. And with those type of people around it came in handy that he had the upper hand. I get what you're saying about Trent, but I think this book was partially about him evolving into what he really wants to be. While he holds up his father's side of things to keep everything running, the true Trent is more like his mom.

The next book is titled "Ever After". I think that it's going to be amazing.

message 8: by Jelena (last edited Feb 22, 2012 02:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jelena | 1 comments VampireNovelFan wrote: "He said that his father owned the patent on the drugs, so it seems as if it started there. And those people were the Men in Black types. They didn't seem like villians per se, but definitely a secr..."

Completely agree with you VampireNovelFan! And this book was AMAZING(small word I know)! Especially Trent! Though, I would have liked that we saw his fingers and ears back!

Diane (LadyDi77) I was filled with glee the entire way through. I love Trent now just as much as I hated him earlier on. I liked that they get along now, but I'm not sure he is for her. I'd be happy with her being with Trent or Al. When he showed up I cheered.

and how funny were Jenks and Bell.

also, when she needed a witch to invoke the location charms, I was thinking "where the hell is Keasley"? Jenks daughter is still taking care of his garden.

and I think Glenn will be back. There's something fishy about how he disappeared. I suspected him of trickery, but he seemed upset when E escaped.

message 10: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally (Nitara) | 25 comments I really enjoyed this book. I'm glad that Rachel has finally accepted who she is. As for Trent, I think he and Rachel work very well together. I'm not sure if they'll ever end up together, or even if they'll be good friends; but it's nice to know that Rachel can count on him.

The way Glenn left was definitely out of character, but I don't think we've seen the last of him. I'm also curious about this new special forces group. Aside from getting rid of Hapa, what is their purpose?

I always wondered how Lucy and Rae would react to meeting Al. I didn't think they would fear him, but I wasn't expecting them to like him so much.

Jennifer☠Pher☠ (naylorjen) | 11 comments I just finished it this morning. I loved it. I loved the focus on Rachel, who she is, who she wants to be and her excepting both. I want to re-read the end again because as I sit right now, I didn't like it. I am shocked about Glenn, found it odd how Al just showed up and has been for a month but we were unaware, I didn't like that she didn't spend time in her kitchen with Ivy and Jenks after the run and we just had to hear that they knew something but just thought she had coffee with Trent. I don't know where the whole Trent and Ceri thing is going. I mean, I understand a little but not really. I mean, she actually looked to see if he was wearing another ring! Personally, I don't like it. Overall I really liked it, really liked it but the wrap up just left me wanting and not wanting like for the next book, really, just the next page.

message 12: by Cher (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cher | 80 comments Jennifer wrote: "I just finished it this morning. I loved it. I loved the focus on Rachel, who she is, who she wants to be and her excepting both. I want to re-read the end again because as I sit right now, I didn'..."

What did you mean, she checked to see if he was wearing another ring?Who are you speaking of?

Jennifer☠Pher☠ (naylorjen) | 11 comments At the end, she looks at his hand and says he is still only wearing the one ring that is a twin to her ring. I just took it like she was looking to see if Trent and Ceri had married since they made reference to it happening soon for political reasons.

message 14: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Feb 25, 2012 07:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Jennifer wrote: "At the end, she looks at his hand and says he is still only wearing the one ring that is a twin to her ring. I just took it like she was looking to see if Trent and Ceri had married since they made..."

Maybe, but wouldn't she be invited to their wedding so essentially she should already know?

Jennifer☠Pher☠ (naylorjen) | 11 comments That's what I thought too but she looked and made mention so, I don't know what else to think with the gesture. How did you take it?

message 16: by Cher (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cher | 80 comments Why don't I remember this? I personally didn't like the Ceri situation at all.I think it just felt wrong to me because Quen wasn't involved.At all. I know the girls are to be brought up as sisters but it just rubbed me the wrong way.I was interested to see how Quen has changed as well as Trent with the arrival of babies.

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Jennifer wrote: "That's what I thought too but she looked and made mention so, I don't know what else to think with the gesture. How did you take it?"

I didn't think of it much at all honestly. If anything I would equate it to when she called him while he was sleeping and was kind of glad that nobody else was in bed with him.

Jennifer☠Pher☠ (naylorjen) | 11 comments Cher wrote: "Why don't I remember this? I personally didn't like the Ceri situation at all.I think it just felt wrong to me because Quen wasn't involved.At all. I know the girls are to be brought up as sisters ..."

On the Kindle it's location 8659-67, it reads: "I pulled my eyes from his hand, still bare of any ring save the one, twin to my own, on his index finger". I feel it has a lot of weight in her feelings towards him. Knowing he will never take Ceri to his bed but thoughtful of it none the less. I agree about Quen, it's like he is not involved with the children AND why is he not running around with Trent? In the past he wouldn't let him out of his sight! If I were Quen I would almost feel useless! Anyway, I don't like the Trent/Ceri thing. I don't like that he would marry her. I don't like that Rachel feels compelled to look to see if he is whether that is what was meant or not. I may have to post the question!

Jennifer☠Pher☠ (naylorjen) | 11 comments VampireNovelFan wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "That's what I thought too but she looked and made mention so, I don't know what else to think with the gesture. How did you take it?"

I didn't think of it much at all honestly. If..."

And this is why it's so fun to discuss books! This sentence stopped me in my tracks and felt it summed up all her feelings just in a glance. He was still tied only to her. She wanted to make sure. She won't be able to let him go, there is just no way...I hope :)

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Jennifer wrote: "And this is why it's so fun to discuss books! This sentence stopped me in my tracks and felt it summed up all her feelings just in a glance. He was still tied only to her. She wanted to make sure. She won't be able to let him go, there is just no way...I hope :) "

Yeah. I am just super curious as to what will happen when we see Ellasbeth again. Oh the drama!

message 21: by Cher (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cher | 80 comments VampireNovelFan wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "And this is why it's so fun to discuss books! This sentence stopped me in my tracks and felt it summed up all her feelings just in a glance. He was still tied only to her. She want..."

Ceri will eat her!!!lol. I wouldn't mess with that Elf.

Tracy (tracyw) | 22 comments I just finished the book and was left wanting more closure. There were too many WTF moments. Trent's magic is developing quickly, but even after she accepted that she needed to do demon magic and got the bracelet off, Rachel didn't seem to really embrace it. It took a month for her to fix Winona! Rachel used to kick ass but there were so many "I'm helpless!" moments when she was in captivity. That Jennifer girl seemed submissive but she beat Rachel up? I'm hoping the next book takes place in the ever after as the title implies and Rachel's magic steps up a notch.

What happened in the investigation of the light fixture in Trent's room with the stolen equipment?

I loved Al's line when looking for Ceri, "That way I think. I can smell baby shit." I missed Al's presence in this book.

It's going to be interesting to see how the rings that Trent made play into the next book.

message 23: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally (Nitara) | 25 comments Tracy wrote: "I just finished the book and was left wanting more closure. There were too many WTF moments. Trent's magic is developing quickly, but even after she accepted that she needed to do demon magic and..."

I can understand why it took Rachel so long to fix Winona. Apparently the curse she did was pretty complicated, and as she said; she's never mixed curses before. So I think that was more about her being cautious. Hell, even Al admitted he'd never done it before.

Speaking of Winona, I'm curious to see what happens to her. Is she technically a demon now? Or will her children be demons?

The thing with the light fixture through me off as well. I know Trent wanted her to take the bracelet off, but I can't imagine he'd just walk out on an investigation like that.

message 24: by Cher (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cher (Sharpei) | 33 comments I missed the comment where Trent is thinking about/has to marry Ceri. I'm not okay with this. What about Quen? Aren't they a couple? If Trent does marry Ceri then I don't see Rachel hanging around at all. She has always wanted to get married and have kids. Should she have kids now that she is a demon and all the problems she has had in her life which would spill over to her kids? No. But I don't see her giving up that dream. Plus the fact she and Trent cannot have kids together because they can only mate with their own kind. She is not going to want to take second best and be his secret girlfriend, knowing Rachel...oh hell no. This relationship is going nowhere fast. There is also another problem. Trent, I believe is in love with Rachel but I do not believe she loves him or at least as much as he loves her. She is not the type of person to yank someone's chain. She takes her men seriously and gives it her all once she is commited to dating someone. Trent takes his responsibilties seriously and will do what is right for the Elves before her or anything else. That is why he is thinking about marrying Ceri and not Rachel. Quen was telling him you can date someone not an elf but I don't see them bringing another species home and saying, * Look who's coming for dinner*! So I will not be surprised when or if it doesn't work out for them. I liked this book better than Pale Demon but I was still left with a lot of wth moments. I agree with everyone about Glenn leaving for Flagstaff. I do think he was asked to join by the way the Capt. was asking Rachel about him at Junior's place. I don't see KH wrapping this up without us screaming its hurried in 2 more books. Do you think she will not end up with anyone, period and live in the ever-after which is where she belongs cuz of the demon thing?

message 25: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Feb 25, 2012 04:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Cheri wrote: "I missed the comment where Trent is thinking about/has to marry Ceri. I'm not okay with this. What about Quen? Aren't they a couple? If Trent does marry Ceri then I don't see Rachel hanging around ..."

Actually, elves and demons *can* have children together, it's just a matter of magic and science, but it's possible.

Kim said that Quen and Ceri are fine with the idea of a political marriage, but Trent isn't comfortable with it. Doesn't mean he won't do it, but it doesn't interest him. And also Ellasbeth will be back and we don't know how that will mix things up.

The question is if Rachel is convinced that he loves her. She kept denying what he was doing for her at every turn. And this is just book 10, so Kim is laying the ground work, but they will be getting closer so she says.

And I asked Kim specifically yesterday in person at her signing what Quen and Ceri think of Rachel and Trent and she said they are on board with it. She also said Rachel's not getting her HEA until the end of the last book, so there's time.

I don't see Rachel living in the Ever-After. Trent said she would have the sun and shadow both, like now, and I don't see why that has to change. Trent is getting laws in place for Demons on this side of the lines, so I won't be surprised if they end up in reality.

message 26: by Cher (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cher (Sharpei) | 33 comments That is a whew moment for me. I was worried. It figures we will have to wait and then let our imagination take over after the series ends. Well poop!

Jennifer☠Pher☠ (naylorjen) | 11 comments Rachel and Trent sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g...It HAS to happen! He is the one man "with" her through all the books and he got to explain so much in this book, he had such a voice this time. I don't think he will settle for a political marriage, I think deep down he knows what he wants and what he needs to do to get it. She is getting worn down even as we wait for the next book...

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Jennifer wrote: "Rachel and Trent sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g...It HAS to happen! He is the one man "with" her through all the books and he got to explain so much in this book, he had such a voice this time. I..."

I'm surprised Jenks doesn't make Rachel as red as a tomato sometimes, rofl.

Diane (LadyDi77) Question: Maybe I'm an idiot, but who is in the background on the cover? Is it Trent or Al.

Also: I like Trent now and everything, but I don't really know if could work out between them for reasons that many of you have already mentioned. Anyone else want her to be with Al? I really wanted more of him in this novel. He is my favorite character (tied with Jenks, who took the cursing to an entirely new hilarious level in this novel)

Kenna (KennaS) | 76 comments There are several of us who would like to see her with either one of the two. Most are pulling for one or the other but would be almost as happy if she got the other. There is an entire thread devoted to the debate of who rache should end up with some where.

Kenna (KennaS) | 76 comments Also, i think thats wayde in the background of the cover, since she isnt supposed to go anywhere without him and whatnot.

Diane (LadyDi77) Kenna wrote: "Also, i think thats wayde in the background of the cover, since she isnt supposed to go anywhere without him and whatnot."

ah, that makes sense. thanks. I'll have to go find that thread :-)

Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* . (Hazel_G) | 18 comments I got through reading this book a couple of days ago and LOVED LOVED LOVED it. Oh and did I mention, I LOVED it.. LOL! I've been reading through this thread and am enjoying the conversation and different views on APB.

I really loved how much Trent and Rachel interaction we got in this book. In my opinion, APB was a bit slower then Pale Demon and there weren't as many revelations, but it was a necessary step in Rachels story. I also believe that a Trent and Rachel paring is a real possibility. I remember Trent saying in Pale Demon that he was a planner... that he had a lot of time to get his planning together and I think thats just what he may be doing.. planning Rachels future.. or at least helping mold it. He told Al she needed to be both sun and shadow.. and I think he's taking the steps, and probably has been all along, to accomplish this for her.

I also agree that she seemed a little weaker in this book. But I wrote in my review I think that stemmed from a more cautious and mature Rachel. Though I miss her jumping head first into trouble without a plan, it was great to see that she's matured so much in the last two books. The event in Pale Demon really changed Rachel and for the better, but she still hasn't found her footing yet. I expect to see a more confident Rachel in the next book, now that she's decided who she is and wants to be and that demon magic wont corrupt her.

I missed Al so much in this one. I could definitely see an Al/Rachel pairing to.. He's changed a lot since we first met him and I think he's grown tremendously as a character! And I really believe he cares for Rachel, even if he doesn't have the skills yet to show it. Its lonely for the demons.. they dont have any females (other then Newt and she's a nut job!!) and dont understand their needs or how to treat them. But he's learning :)

I didnt really see the need for Wayde either.. He seemed like a temptation that just never panned out. Rachel mooned over how cute he was but she was clearly not interested, even after he offered himself up as a no-strings attached non-complication. And he seemed very inept though he claimed he was very good at his job.. yet Rachel was abducted right out from under him. I kept expecting him to have followed Rachel when she was taken and bust in at some point while she was being held in that cage. However, Trent showing up with Jenks was WAY better! LOL!

How awesome was it when Trent showed up in the tunnels and threw that punch! Anyone else yell out "YES!!!", cuz I sure did! LOL! Love Trent.. he really shined in this book and I LOVE that he's got the adventure bug.

All in all it was a fantastic book.

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Actually, I've been saying this all along and Kim recently pointed out that witches with Rosewood Syndrome are demons after being cured, so that's a lot of genetic material to work with. The demons aren't limited just to Rachel and Newt.

Christine (kokopoko) | 3 comments It wasn't as exciting in a life/death way as the other books. No great bonding achieved with anyone. The human group, why was no info given about them? It was just a let down of a book. Not even the Trent/Rachel got very far. :( I wanted Trent and Rachel to finally go at it somewhere. Why is it moving so slow?!?

Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* . (Hazel_G) | 18 comments VampireNovelFan wrote: "Actually, I've been saying this all along and Kim recently pointed out that witches with Rosewood Syndrome are demons after being cured, so that's a lot of genetic material to work with. The demons..."

Very true. There's lots of genetic material to work with and perhaps the ability to make female demons out of witches with the virus, if it didn't kill them first. But the demons in the Ever-After have only had Newt to deal with and now Rachel since Newt killed her sisters. (I can't remember exactly how long ago that was, but I seem to recall something like a thousand years ago?) Anyhow, my point is, Al and all the other demons are out of practice. VampireNovelFan, I read just today on your blog site that Kim said demons have the potential for love. That if they didn't, they wouldn't still exist. So, they have love and have relationships, they just haven't had an opportunity to and are out of practice. =) Maybe Rachel can teach them.

message 37: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Feb 26, 2012 08:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Christine wrote: "It wasn't as exciting in a life/death way as the other books. No great bonding achieved with anyone. The human group, why was no info given about them? It was just a let down of a book. Not eve..."

To be fair, while they've always had chemistry they didn't really start getting along until recently, but I think they made great progress in terms of an actual working relationship and building more trust. She doesn't see how he feels (while the reader can) and then denies how she feels.

Either way, Kim has said we won't know Rachel's HEA until the end of the final book in the series (which is 2-3 off), so expect more and more building up to that point rather than the instant (or maybe not so much in this case) gratification...if it happens at all.

message 38: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Feb 26, 2012 08:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Hazel wrote: "VampireNovelFan wrote: "Actually, I've been saying this all along and Kim recently pointed out that witches with Rosewood Syndrome are demons after being cured, so that's a lot of genetic material ..."

Rachel said just that in "Pale Demon" when she was fighting Ku'Sox. She realized it herself and I think "Ever After" (the next book) is going to be centered around Rachel redeeming the demons. But Kim also said that the demons are patient so it's not like they have to get going on repopulating right away.

Kim's been alluding to the worlds colliding for a long time. Trent is getting laws for demons in place and with the Ever After shrinking I think we'll see a redeemed set of demons on this side of the lines. Or at least they will lose the stigma they currently have.

I kind of wish this elf/demon stuff was the last book. Kim has made that plot point so intriguing that going back to the vampires for the last book feels anti-climatic.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm getting on this train because this last book left me so.. so... pumped? I need to depressurize and talk, lol

Raquel wrote: "I loved it, but I feel cheated at the end. It's probably because I don't feel I've got closure. It was like the book was on repeat. Rache looks for bad guy, finds bad guy, loses bad guy, finds ba..."

It's funny. You brought all the point I griped with. And I still left the book feeling like it was a star supernova.
Those guys, I think we'll see them more, and that will bring Glenn. After all, we are needing something that can fight Rachel. Like I said in my review, she's kinda high on the power scale now. Which made all the "guy beats Rachel and escapes" merry go round all the more frustrating. But I guess that's what brains do: equalize. I was screaming myself hoarse for Rachel to splat him with sleepy time after she downed him with Trents charm.
Waide was nothing but a badly pulled romantic red-herring. Absolutely useless. And talking about red-herrings, the Felix guy: total incompetent, or new Piscary would be playing dumb?. Don't know. I hope he didn't come in just to put Nina in play.

message 40: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 27, 2012 06:44AM) (new)

Raquel wrote: "I'm guessing I'm leery because of the comment he made about selling his products to the funders of HAPA/specops team or something to that effect. That's what makes me upset. But perhaps he was jo..."

Ohh, yeah, I'm mistrustful too, but you know which line freaked me out? The one where Rachel asks him whether he'd turn her into a dog, have her come to heel, because I re-read Dead Witch Walking Recently, and there is this line Trent has, where he tells Rachel the Mink he molded Jon into what he is, corrupted him into serving him, but so gently Jon became too loyal to realize and that he'll do the same to her and... yeah *shudders*. I'm very wary.
His character is so exiting, and it's so pleasing to see him become better, closer to Rachel, that in the back of my head I'm always scared that he'll just, you know, strip the cloak to show he's always been that scary guy we met in the first book.
And how messed up is it that I'm still firmly on Trent Camp, and let possible ugly revelations go hang?

Tracy (tracyw) | 22 comments I really liked this book for Trent's character development. It was funny when he hit the bad guy and hurt himself. When he talked about selling stuff to the military group, I assumed that he meant he was going to try to figure out who they were from a business angle. I think he only has good intentions. Now I need Rachel to develop as much as he has.
I also found the suggestions about a Ceri/Trent marriage disturbing. Why for political reasons if Trent is no longer in politics? Where is Quen? Ceri is not Lucy's mother, so why does Rachel talk like she is? Is Rachel just reading the situation wrong?

message 42: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Feb 27, 2012 06:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Tracy wrote: "I really liked this book for Trent's character development. It was funny when he hit the bad guy and hurt himself. When he talked about selling stuff to the military group, I assumed that he mean..."

I thought about it being a possibility of Rachel reading the situation wrong as well, but it could also be Kim explaining the dynamics. Trent's not in politics, but he is still a public fugure so I guess he wants to save face for now, especially since he's not actually attached to someone at the moment. But for me it seems kind of pointless because Lucy and Ray aren't twins; they're a few months apart so it's pretty obvious that Ceri can't be the biological mother of both girls since the gestation period for elves is 9 months.

Veronica  (Readingonthefly) I really liked the book overall though I will admit that the first third or so went a little slowly. But I liked it as a character piece and what it said about each of them.

The whole situation with Trent/Ceri/Quen doesn't sit well with me either. I just don't see why any of it is necessary in the first place. Trent is not in politics anymore and even if he were, I still don't see why Ceri couldn't just be known as what she is...Quen's lover/girlfriend/fiance/significant other. I'm hoping that the whole notion of a formal, political marriage was just Rachel making wrong assumptions. Hopefully she'll bring it up and Trent will set her straight. The whole thing is just bizarre otherwise.

I don't care if we never see Wayde again. He was a nice enough guy but I never saw why he was even there. As a bodyguard he rather sucked and now that Rachel has her demoness abilities back he's really not needed. Plus, that church is starting to get mighty crowded. It's becoming more of a frat house than a home, lol.

And as for Trent mentioning selling some of his gadgets, he was talking about selling them to the MIB people not to HAPA. And since the MIB people are likely government - they can't be too bad if honest Glenn went to work for them -I don't see it as a bad thing. Being a government vendor is a pretty lucrative thing and Trent is a business man after all. He's not going to let the fact that they tried to wipe his memory get in the way of a potentially good business deal, lol.

Tracy (tracyw) | 22 comments Veronica G. wrote: "I really liked the book overall though I will admit that the first third or so went a little slowly. "

I'm glad I'm not the only one that found the first few chapters kind of slow. The descriptions of everyone's body language was getting a little tedious. After thinking about it a bit, I'm going to chalk it up to the editing. Kim said that Rachel was going to have a new love interest in this book, then changed her mind. I'm guessing that was Wade. He should have been edited right out. So maybe the first bit was re-written so many times that the pacing was off. Al's chrysalid was casually mentioned twice, which seems more like an error.

message 45: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Feb 27, 2012 07:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Actually, Wayde was a new non-love interest character that Kim wanted to introduce but she intially took him out to make room for the new love interest. After deciding to remove the love interest, she brought Wayde back into the picture and then added more Trent and sped up when Rachel got her bracelet off. We were originally not going to see that or Al at all in this book, but Kim wisely changed her mind.

Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* . (Hazel_G) | 18 comments VampireNovelFan wrote: "Actually, Wayde was a new non-love interest character that Kim wanted to introduce but she intially took him out to make room for the new love interest. After deciding to remove the love interest, ..."

Thanks goodness for that...With only two, possibly three books left, I think introducing a new love interest is wasteful.. I want to see the characters on the canvas getting settled in order to get their HEA. Or at least as close as they can, before its all over with... oh that makes me so sad... just thinking about the series ending is gut wrenching.

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Hazel wrote: "VampireNovelFan wrote: "Actually, Wayde was a new non-love interest character that Kim wanted to introduce but she intially took him out to make room for the new love interest. After deciding to re..."

I haven't cried once during this series but I'm pretty sure I'll be crying after the last page. I get super sad just THINKING about it!

Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* . (Hazel_G) | 18 comments VampireNovelFan wrote: "Hazel wrote: "VampireNovelFan wrote: "Actually, Wayde was a new non-love interest character that Kim wanted to introduce but she intially took him out to make room for the new love interest. After ..."

Yeah, me too.. I've been patiently awaiting the next book release for The Hollows each year for years now.. it seems crazy to think of it all coming to an end.. As for crying.. well, I broke tears when Kisten died.. those scenes killed me.. I really loved Kisten.. and thought he was good for Rachel at the time.. he helped her and that was a good thing.. his time was over, but I still cried when he died.. especially to save Rachel..

message 49: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Feb 27, 2012 01:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments I skipped to the end of that book based on my intuition so I wasn't surprised. It was depressing and I may have stopped reading, but there was still Trent and Jenks who were my faves, so I hoped for good things. I'm glad I stuck with the series.

Veronica  (Readingonthefly) I'm probably the only person who wasn't head over heels in love with Kisten. I mean, I liked him alright but I always thought that his relationship with Rachel came about a bit too fast. One second she's not trusting him and the next she's macking on him in an elevator...while she's on her way down to confront Piscary? That was just bizarre timing to me. The other thing was that I never thought she should be with any vampire, not with that bite and the vampire toxins she already has. That bite always tainted any potential relationship she might have with any vampire, be it Kist or Ivy. I mean, even vampires who clearly repulsed her could get a sexual rise out of her so yeah, that ruined things for me pretty much. It was Rachel's and Ivy's reactions to Kisten's death that made me sad moreso than his actual dying. Matalina's death was very sad for me too because of Jenks.

« previous 1 3

Fans of The Hollows series by Kim Harrison

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Unbound (other topics)
Ever After (other topics)