2014 & 2015 Reading Challenge discussion

The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1)
This topic is about The Golden Compass
ARCHIVE Group Reads > Mar 2012 - GR The Golden Compass

Comments (showing 1-33 of 33) (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tatum | 459 comments Ack! Just what I need another series ;) My kids have these, maybe I can get some cheat notes!

Johanna | 755 comments I´ve read them all (don´t worry, there´s only three books!) many times, I especially love this first one. And if anyone has seen the movie, don´t let that stop you from reading this! I will definitely follow the discussion, but it is a really long time since I last read them so just maybe I will now..

Ashley | 1029 comments I'm excited to read this. My husband has read it and looks like a ton of other people have, too. We have a vintage bookstore here in town, so I am going to see if I can find it there for really cheap. We live in the smallest town ever and can you believe there is a waiting list for this book at the little town library?? Haha.

Johanna | 755 comments Well it is a great book so no wonder :)

Adriana | 2670 comments Yeah! I have it but haven't read it yet. This'll motivate me (:

Rebecca | 7 comments Tatum-

The world Pullman creates is too memorable to experience through cheat notes. You'll only be cheating yourself.

I'm so excited to read this again.

message 7: by Nathan (last edited Feb 22, 2012 02:01PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nathan (nathlawl) | 1721 comments Hmm, I wasn't planning on participating but there seem to be very strong opinions on this book! Perhaps I will be reading along after all. :D

Tatum | 459 comments Oh I was kidding about the cheat notes! It was more a comment that it seems every time I turn around in this group I wind up with a new series I simply must read lol.

Rebecca | 7 comments Ha! I do know what you mean. My 2012 reading list has exploded since joining this group and reading people's suggestions. It will be a miracle if I get through a third of the books I want to read this year!

Beverly (bshrib) I love this series. I probably won't be re-reading it cause I am trying to re-read The Hunger Games before the movie comes out, but I will definitely be participating in the discussion. Can't wait. :)

Johanna | 755 comments Tatum, Sara, Johanna, Ashley, Adriana, Rebecca, Trevor, Beverly.

So there´s quite a few of us who´s about to participate on this. I am still undecided whether to reread it or not. The thing is I have the whole series, so if I do read the first it will just make me reread all of them and that will take time from books I haven´t read yet! But I do think it would be time for a reread since it´s years since I last read it and I don´t remember much about it.

There´s 23 chapters to this book 399 pages (on my copy). And my copy is called, like it is originally, Northern Lights! Does everyone already have their copy whose going to read it?

Tatum | 459 comments I have mine (well, my kids' copy) all ready to begin on the 1st :)

Nathan (nathlawl) | 1721 comments I just got the e-mail from the library today and mine is waiting for me to pick up tomorrow!

Melissa (missie322) | 208 comments I'm going to participate :)

Johanna | 755 comments Tatum, Sara, Johanna, Ashley, Adriana, Rebecca, Trevor, Beverly and Melissa then!

Ashley | 1029 comments Woo hoo! I just bought my copy at the used book shop in our little town for $3.50 this morning! I got the trilogy for $10.50!!I can't wait to start! :)

Sharon (sharint) | 466 comments Checked it out at the library, will start as soon as I finish one last book for the February tickled pink challenge.

Nathan (nathlawl) | 1721 comments I love getting first dibs on all the library book sale books! Found The Golden Compass on the shelf in the back room today and almost screamed with joy - haha!! Now I don't have to worry about returning it. :D

Melissa (missie322) | 208 comments ughh .. I'm about 1/2 way through and BORED TO DEATH! I don't know if I should push through it. Or maybe just put it down and start something else .. HELP!

Tatum | 459 comments I put down books and come back to them all the time. Mostly I have 2-3 books going.

message 21: by Kara, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2688 comments I'm with Tatum. Unless you feel the urge to power through, put it down and come back to it if you feel it calling to you.

Johanna | 755 comments So Tatum´s read it, Melissa started but put it down? I´m starting the last part from chapter 18 next.

Melissa how far did you read? Now that I´ve been reading I think the best part starts quite late in the book, somewhere in the second to last part (chapters 12-17). That´s where I really got excited. And now I can´t wait to finish. I hope you try to get back to it at some point if you did not get that far yet.

Melissa (missie322) | 208 comments I ended up finishing it but i still really disliked it. Just not my cup of tea. Glad you are enjoying it :)

Johanna | 755 comments Oh ok, I thought you didn´t. Was it just that you felt it was boring or was there something else?

Melissa (missie322) | 208 comments i guess the whole "fantasy" type book doesn't do anything for me. it wasn't the writing style, just the subject matter for me.

Sharon (sharint) | 466 comments I'm slowly reading this book, I read it for a while then go do other things, read other things and come back. I will probably eventually finish it - I am almost done with part one. It is finally starting to catch my interest ...

Nathan (nathlawl) | 1721 comments I'm having real trouble getting this one started! I'm only on chapter 3 and I just can't find the interest to go back. :/ May have to shelve it for now. I hate doing that!!

Johanna | 755 comments Well don't worry! Maybe you'll get inspired later!

Nathan (nathlawl) | 1721 comments Johanna wrote: "Well don't worry! Maybe you'll get inspired later!"

Hopefully!! I've heard good things about it.

Johanna | 755 comments I´ve read the book a couple of times before and this time I too had a bit of trouble with the start, but after the first section it got exciting again! So try to get there at some point :)

Sharon (sharint) | 466 comments Well, I think I'm on the downhill finally for this book. Only 100 pages to go. I'll finish it today or tomorrow so I can get it back to the library. Liking it enough to keep reading but not enough that I HAVE to finish it right now!

Sharon (sharint) | 466 comments Finished, I guess I'll give it ***3 stars maybe closer to **2 as I don't plan on reading the rest of the books.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Golden Compass (other topics)