Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > March Challenge - Non-Fiction

Comments (showing 101-128 of 128) (128 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 101: by Michael, Captain Everything:) (new)

Michael (MichaelSwensson) | 6757 comments Mod
I just finished my second and final book of the challenge. The Family Law

Review here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Trina (trina88) | 263 comments Picked up another nonfiction; A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. Hopefully I'll finish it before the month is out, along with the others I'm already part way through.

Dhitri | 413 comments Finished another non fiction (book 4) - My Life on the Run: The Wit, Wisdom, and Insights of a Road Racing Icon by the iconic Bart Yasso, who woks for Runner's World and s essentilly paid to run all over the world.

He is dubbed "The Mayor of Running" as for his dedication to bringing the sport to non runners nd gnerally help runners to get ttheir goals, new or seasoned. The book is a collection of the stories he would share in a pre-race gathering. They are funny, mindblowing, moving, in short, inspiring. Five stars.

Here is my review http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Dee-Ann | 641 comments I finished The Family Law and what a good choice that was. Easy to read, funny, shocking, insightful and leaves a warm fuzzy feeling that the story is not over yet.

message 106: by Lesley (last edited Mar 21, 2012 01:13AM) (new)

Lesley | 280 comments I recently finished The Romantic. Melbourne prostitute and drug addict goes to Italy to 'find herself', but quickly falls back into her old habits. I was hoping to read more about her thoughts on Naples and Rome and less about her sex life. 1 star.

message 107: by Mish (new)

Mish | 2620 comments Lesley wrote: "I recently finished The Romantic. Melbourne prostitute and drug addict goes to Italy to 'find herself', but quickly falls back into her old habits. I was hoping to read more about h..."

Hi Lesley, I just finished that too...it was absolutely horrible. Here's my review

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Her first book In My Skin was so much better

James (Farqo) | 1 comments Just finshed An Unwinnable War: Australia in Afghanistan by Karen Middleton. I was a little disappointed as it appeared more about Karen's political reporting about the war. It did pick up toward the end but it was a political take on our involvement first and foremost.

Sharon | 160 comments Have finished my March Challenge Book Me  Stories of My Life by Katharine Hepburnby Katherine Hepburn. The style of writing is exactly what I pictured in my head that she would be like if she was sitting there with me telling me her story. Her personality shone through. My favourite actress of all time.

message 110: by Lesley (last edited Mar 21, 2012 07:19PM) (new)

Lesley | 280 comments Mish, I like your review and agree completely. I haven't read the author's previous work but I certainly found this one dull and boring. It was not easy to read about her self-destructive decisionmaking but had me thinking about the power of addiction.

message 111: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Brenda | 25908 comments Mod
I haven't read the one I said I would read but I've read Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World, my review http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Maggie I'm hoping to squeeze in another non fiction before the end of the month - I have so many to be read.

message 113: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Maggie wrote: "I'm hoping to squeeze in another non fiction before the end of the month - I have so many to be read."

Agreed Maggie...we'll have to do another non-fiction challenge;D

message 114: by Tui (new)

Tui Allen (Tuibird) | 90 comments I have a friend in the USA who survived WW2 in Germany as a little girl. She got so sick of everyone asking her to tell them her life story, she wrote it all down in a book, so now she just has to say, "here's my book - read for yourself."
I read the book and was very intrigued by her life.
It's here:
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Girl-Tha...

message 115: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (last edited Mar 24, 2012 11:33PM) (new)

Tui wrote: "I have a friend in the USA who survived WW2 in Germany as a little girl. She got so sick of everyone asking her to tell them her life story, she wrote it all down in a book, so now she just has to ..."

The Little Girl That Could: A Memoir It sounds really interesting Tui:) Thanks for the information.

message 116: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Another one I read for this month's challenge is Empty Chairs: Much more than a story about child abuse by Stacey Danson. What an amazing lady! My review http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 117: by Maggie (last edited Mar 28, 2012 05:28AM) (new)

Maggie Just completed my third non fiction book Sacred Passage: How to Provide Fearless, Compassionate Care for the Dying, very interesting for those involved in care of the dying. Now on to another book - if it's non fiction I may well finish it in time to add another to my list for this month's challenge.

message 118: by Michael, Captain Everything:) (new)

That first one sounds like one i should read Maggie.

Maggie Michael wrote: "That first one sounds like one i should read Maggie."

It's handy. You can have my copy if you want.

message 120: by JB (new)

JB Rowley (JBRowley) | 111 comments Whisper My Secret is a true story; sometimes called 'faction' because it is a combination of facts, imagination and supposition but is categorised as nonfiction.

(If self promotion here is not appropriate, please forgive me and delete me.)

JB

message 121: by JB (new)

JB Rowley (JBRowley) | 111 comments One nonfiction book that moved me deeply is: Jackson's Track

Trina (trina88) | 263 comments I've been really slack with reading (sometimes life gets in the way, silly life), but I am really enjoying Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything

message 123: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

JB wrote: "Whisper My Secret is a true story; sometimes called 'faction' because it is a combination of facts, imagination and supposition but is categorised as nonfiction.

(If self promotion..."

We appreciate the recommendations in the challenge threads:) Have you put your book in the Author spotlight section yet JB? Go to this thread, and you can make your own thread, or add it to another. It's nice to have your own thread when you're an author though:) http://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_...

If you have any questions, just ask:)

message 124: by JB (new)

JB Rowley (JBRowley) | 111 comments Thank you very much, Brenda. Am off to check it out.
JB :-)

message 125: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

J.B. wrote: "Thank you very much, Brenda. Am off to check it out.
JB :-)"

;D

message 126: by Michael, Captain Everything:) (new)

Maggie wrote: "Michael wrote: "That first one sounds like one i should read Maggie."

It's handy. You can have my copy if you want."

Thank you maggie that would be great. :D

Maggie Just remembered I've read another non-fiction this month - Change Your Thinking: Overcome Stress, Anxiety, and Depression, and Improve Your Life with CBT, a good overview of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, 4 stars. So that makes 4 for me. I have begun another one but I might not finish it in time.

message 128: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Maggie wrote: "Just remembered I've read another non-fiction this month - Change Your Thinking: Overcome Stress, Anxiety, and Depression, and Improve Your Life with CBT, a good overview of Cognitiv..."

Wow, congratulations Maggie! Great result:)

1 3 next »