The Scarlet Letter The Scarlet Letter question

Anything similar?
Dasha Dasha Feb 19, 2012 09:44AM
Hello,
I am reading so many books but Im just not satisfied with them. I would like to know if anyone has read and can recommend a book similar to the Scarlet Letter.

Please and thank you.
Dasha

Have you read Anne Veronica by HG Wells? Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood?
You might like DH Lawrence (I'd start with Women in Love, I really liked Gudrin's character).
Have you tried Anna Karanina by Leo Tolstoy? It's a long book but it moves. Just a few to throw out there...

Dasha The Handmaids Tale...yes...and I loved it! ^-^
Feb 22, 2012 07:43AM

Erm ... wow ... that's a bit of a tough request. Dasha, is there any specific element of THE SCARLET LETTER that you're looking for? I mean, if it's classic literature you like, I always recommend THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, which is easily one of my favorites; but if you're looking for something that's more of a period drama along the lines of THE SCARLET LETTER, I'm not sure it works on the same level. To be honest, I found an awful lot of THE SCARLET LETTER a bit slow.

Sara (last edited Feb 19, 2012 10:41AM ) Feb 19, 2012 10:39AM   0 votes
Have you read any Dickens? Charles Dickens was a contemporary of Hawthorne and is definitely worth every word of praise he's received. I'd definitely suggest that if you loved Scarlet Letter and you haven't had the chance to read Dickens, then give him a shot. Try A Tale of Two Cities or Great Expectations to start.

I would recommend Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. It has a some similiar themes. It also tells of a young woman "fallen from grace". Though she is more innoncent than Hester Prynne. I read Tess of d'Urbervilles shortly after finishing the Scarlet Letter and I found it interesting to compare and contrast the two.

Dasha, If your questing for similar themes, I feel like you would want to read "Madame Bovary" By Gustave Flaubert.

deleted user Madame Bovary is one of the best novels ever written. Do yourself a favor and buy it and read it and reread it
Feb 20, 2012 06:00PM

I can't think of any book a lot like The Scarlet Letter. But I agree with Michaela's suggestion of Jane Eyre. It's another book about a woman who stands strong in societal situations beyond her control.

You might try Wuthering Heights or Jane Eyre. I mean, I know they're not really like The Scarlet Letter, but you might enjoy them since their serious, sad, classics. I loved the Scarlet letter!

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Scarlet Letter (other topics)
Great Expectations (other topics)
A Tale of Two Cities (other topics)