The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe discussion

MUSIC

Comments (showing 1-33 of 33) (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

BubblesTheMonkey I never read the series (but I plan to ASAP!!), but I loved the movies that I have seen (I heard that they aren't that similar at all). Anyways, what I think made me love it even more was the great music (great classical and other music). What did you think of it?

Kristen Actually, I thought the movies were pretty close to the books. The first two at least. I can't really remember alot from the third book....but I think it was close too.
There's variations in every movie adaptation, but they kept it pretty accurate.
Well, aside from Caspian's age, anyway....in the 2nd one he's supposed to be about 12 and in the 3rd, he's much older. I can't remember specifically, but I wanna say 60 at least.

But yes, the music was great :)

Gerriane I LOVED the music! Especially the Battle song! It made me want to be part of the movie so much!

Becky the music is awesome! it fits in perfectly with the books, although i must say i completely disagree with you Kristen. the third book is nothing like the film in that the green mist doesn't exist in the book. also Caspian is in his twenties in the Dawn Treader, he's about 60 in the silver chair

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

The music in these films is awesome! I'm with Geriane, it made me want to be a part of them pretty badly too.

As for the books, Becky I think you've got it right; the first two stick to them pretty truthfully, but the third one has some significant changes. It works ok I guess in the film, but of course the book is always better ;) Rachel I hope you'll give them a try soon!

Kerri Yes the music was awesome. Because of the soundtrack LWAW became my #1 fave movie ... For awhile.

Gerriane Also, Caspian and Susan NEVER had any romantic feelings between them whatsoever in the book. That's one part of the film I got really, really annoyed with >:(

Becky yes! i hated that!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah! That was SO frustrating! It completely contradicts so much of what else goes on in the whole series of books. I don't think romantic feelings come up at all actually. If I remember rightly, Susan's obsession with her appearance doesn't even get brought up until the final book for like two seconds... :P

Becky i think there is only one romantic insinuation and thats in the silver chair between the prince and the witch, and even that is barely mentioned, and there is also a slight mention of caspian's attraction to his wife/ramandu's daughter

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

precisely!

MizziQ Phanomanal!

Kerri Gerriane wrote: "Also, Caspian and Susan NEVER had any romantic feelings between them whatsoever in the book. That's one part of the film I got really, really annoyed with >:("

Doesn't Susan marry someone in The Horse and His Boy, or is that someone else that is forced to marry by Susan. I forget.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Kerri wrote: "Gerriane wrote: "Also, Caspian and Susan NEVER had any romantic feelings between them whatsoever in the book. That's one part of the film I got really, really annoyed with >:("

Doesn't Susan marry..."

I think that's someone else being made to get married because they're barely in that book at all.... not until the end.

Becky Susan is being pressurised by the Telmarines to marry one of their princes, but she doesn't in the end....I'm pretty sure they lock up all the Pevensies to make her change her mind, but they escape

Gerriane Kerri wrote: "Gerriane wrote: "Also, Caspian and Susan NEVER had any romantic feelings between them whatsoever in the book. That's one part of the film I got really, really annoyed with >:("

Doesn't Susan marry..."

Kerri, Susan was forced to marry Prince Rabadash but she escapes (yey!) the wedding in the book is between the two main characters (human characters) :)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

aha! so there is a reference, but its still not the blatant reference that they give it in the films. Am I alone in thinking that, or would you all agree?

Becky in the books there is no blatant reference to romance, and certainly not between Susan and Caspian.....he's like 12 when they meet in the books!!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Precisely Becky :)

message 20: by Michaela (last edited Feb 20, 2012 03:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michaela I hated Prince Caspian because it changed so much from the book, but the other two movies weren't all that bad. I used to watch the BBC versions of the movies when I was little, and even though they're made badly, I still prefer the Aslan in those, even though he's a costume. the Aslan in the new movies is so cheesy-looking lol :P But yeah, other than Lord of the Rings, these are my favorite books, so give it a try! :) And about the music, I did like it in the new movies, although the theme track in the BBC movies is sooo powerful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq-SE-...

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh my gosh, the Azlan in the recent films looks so digital its ridiculous! I definitely liked the appearance of him better in the BBC films :) I have to say though that I love Liam Neeson's voice for the role... he always manages to sound so irritatingly wise!

Also, thanks for the link to the theme for the BBC films. I haven't heard that in ages and I would have to agree that its a powerful melody... its composer could've taught a thing or two to those of the Disney soundtrack.

Samuel I loved the movies, but they do stray from the books considerably. "Prince Caspian" drifts the furthest, with such additions as the raid on the castle, the romance, Peter's petulance, etc. Still love the movie, though! I really enjoyed "Dawn Treader" and would put it in both the "most faithful" and "most inaccurate" category. What they got right, they did spectacularly, and where they drifted left me dumbfounded.

The music for all three movies is fantastic! I have all three on my MP3 player and often set it to just play "Narnia", which is over 3 hours of music. Just wish the "Dawn Treader" soundtrack had included the Carrie Underwood song.

message 23: by Jess (last edited Apr 05, 2012 06:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Kristen wrote: "Actually, I thought the movies were pretty close to the books. The first two at least. I can't really remember alot from the third book....but I think it was close too.
There's variations in every ..."

Music is great!
I think the third was the worst of the movies out so far, there was more added to the movie than there was in the book- mainly that mysterious, appeared-all-of-the-sudden-without-warning, evil green mist. Made me strongly dislike VotDT movie.
Just my opinion. :)

I also agree about the romance in PC- and the ages of the kids. Other than their ages, though, I think the casting was pretty good. Wasn't too crazy about the White Witch casting, though.

message 24: by CJ (new) - added it

CJ Scurria Kristen wrote: "Actually, I thought the movies were pretty close to the books. The first two at least. I can't really remember alot from the third book....but I think it was close too.
There's variations in every ..."

He is 60 in the Silver Chair story. That movie will hopefully be out in 2014 since the series has not been very profitable recently.

And I DO know what you mean "Bubbles". . . the music (especially the strong theme!) was great. I wish they didn't discard the New Zealand-type singing part in Voyage. . . what a small shame.

message 25: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin I agree with most of the comments here. I loved the music and I was impressed that the new composer, David Arnold, was able to make the music sound as though Harry Gregson-Williams was still composing it. I was shocked when the credits rolled and I found out that HGW wasn't the composer. However, I was disappointed with the liberties taken in the storytelling.

Alana Confession: I used to listen to the LWAW theme while trying to motivate myself to get to work writing one of my college papers. It's quite compelling.

I understood the deviations in Prince Caspian and Dawn Treader due to the way a movie has to flow to maintain interest and keep watchers engaged in the action, but the inclusion of the witch (or a simile) was unnecessary and a little distracting. While in LOTR, for example, if Gollum had simply jumped around and accidentally fallen off the ledge (as happens in the book and works very well) it would have looked stupid on film, so they had to have the interaction and fighting over the ring with Frodo. I do not think creating some strange mist (sin, presumably?) slowly overtaking everything really worked for the plot in Dawn Treader. But that may be just my opinion due to my devotion to the books since a young age.

Samuel From what I've read, the green mist was intended to be a bridge to the witch in Silver Chair. I guess when she enchants the kids and Puddleglum with the fire. I can sort of see that, but it seems unnecessary.

On the other hand, I loved Dawn Treader the movie and Prince Caspian. Kind of like movies "inspired by" real events, I enjoyed them even with their changes. I watch all three movies over and over (and read the books over and over) still.

message 28: by CJ (new) - added it

CJ Scurria Well I heard supposedly that the reason there was the "mist" in Voyage of the Dawn Treader was because in the book there was no clear, constant enemy in the story. That was their attempt to resolve that problem for the film version (though it is noticeably silly).

Montana Phan Narnia's songs from the movies are some of my favorites. I especially like the one Thomas plays for Lucy when Lucy goes to his house for tea. It is sort of sad, but really beautiful.

Lilly Kerri wrote: "Gerriane wrote: "Also, Caspian and Susan NEVER had any romantic feelings between them whatsoever in the book. That's one part of the film I got really, really annoyed with >:("

Doesn't Susan marry..."

She was supposed to get married to some one but then she says no to it later..

Lilly The music is really awesome, and i have to agree with gerraiane the music during the battle wanted me to be part of it, and also i love the song "The Call" by Regina Spektor from the 2nd movie. It made me cry when Peter and Susan tell that they wont be returning back to Narnia and the music was so perfect. But am not such a big fan of the 3 rd movie, they lost the whole essence somewhere..

message 32: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Lilly wrote: "The music is really awesome, and i have to agree with gerraiane the music during the battle wanted me to be part of it, and also i love the song "The Call" by Regina Spektor from the 2nd movie. It ..."

I totally agree, the third movie was missing something.

message 33: by CJ (new) - added it

CJ Scurria BubblesTheMonkey wrote: "I never read the series (but I plan to ASAP!!), but I loved the movies that I have seen (I heard that they aren't that similar at all). Anyways, what I think made me love it even more was the great..."

The music is very beautiful. And I do think you will not regret reading the books. If you have already, tell us what you think!

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (other topics)