The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP Spring 2012 > 30.3 Sheila/Kathy G's task: Spring Delights

Comments (showing 1-50 of 102) (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 18, 2012 02:19PM) (new)

Sandy | 9910 comments Mod
30.3 Sheila/Kathy G's task: Spring Delights

Read two books from the following options (must choose different options for the two books):

1. Photo Op- Spring is a beautiful time to take pictures. Read a book with an actual photo(s) or film on the cover. This can include framed pictures, photos in a scrapbook, or even photos in lockets. The cover should show that this is a photo (that is, there must be edges, a frame, etc. showing)
REQUIRED: Post a link to the book cover

2. Spring Thing- Read a book set in a spring month, first published in a spring month, or the author was born in a spring month. (March, April, or May)
REQUIRED: Include information about the setting of the book in a spring month, or the author's birthdate. If this is not obvious from the Goodreads main page of the book, please post a reference showing the first publication date or author’s birthday, or explain how your book is set in a spring month.

3. Luck O’ the Irish- Read a book with a green cover, or set in Ireland, or by an author born in Ireland.
REQUIRED: Post cover for cover option, or provide a reference to the setting or author’s birth place, if it's not clearly obvious from the GR information.

4. Tulips- Read a book showing two people on the cover (with two lips), or tulips on the cover.
The people need not be photographs - an illustration or a "cartoony" picture will work - but no animals, vegetables, smiley faces, etc., even if they are drawn with facial features. If two people are kissing, I will accept that as “two lips”, otherwise the two people must be showing their lips. Side views okay, if I can see half of their lips.
REQUIRED: Post a link to the cover

5. Spring in German is “der Frühling”- Using 2 consecutive letters in "derFruhling" choose a book where those letters appear in the same order in the words of the title and/or subtitle or the author's name" A series name cannot be used.
(Examples: The Red Scarf (using “rf”) and Lisa See (using “Li”.)
REQUIRED: Post the two letters you used in your title or author’s name.

6. Spring in Your Step- Read a book that is “scary” and makes you jump--- Murder mysteries, ghosts, anything that is creepy enough to qualify will fit this category. Natural and man-made disasters will work like volcano eruptions, tornados, earthquakes, wars, and bombings. Check with me for approval if you are unsure.
REQUIRED: Explain how your book is “scary” and makes you jump.

message 2: by Kathy G. (last edited Apr 27, 2012 04:37PM) (new)

Kathy G. | 1866 comments Option 1-
(Photo on Cover)
March by Geraldine Brooks A Fine Line (Baxter Series, #5) by Kathy Herman The Locket by Stacey Jay The Face on the Milk Carton (Janie Johnson, #1) by Caroline B. Cooney With Friends Like These A Novel by Sally Koslow Annie's Ghosts A Journey into a Family Secret by Steve Luxenberg Top Dog by Jerry Jay Carroll Willoughby's Return A Tale of Almost Irresistible Temptation by Jane Odiwe Time on My Hands by Peter Delacorte Faded Coat of Blue (Abel Jones, #1) by Owen Parry Heat Wave by Penelope Lively Henry and Clara A Novel by Thomas Mallon 11/22/63 by Stephen King
Marjorie Morningstar by Herman Wouk

Option 2-
(Books with authors born in Spring- March, April, May)
(Authors born in Spring)
The Sword and the Chain
Destined
Behemoth
Lauren Willig

(First Published in a Spring Month- March, April, May)
Exclusively Yours

Option 3-
(Green Covers)
Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Freaky Green Eyes by Joyce Carol Oates At Home With the Templetons by Monica McInerney Breaking the Silence. Diane Chamberlain by Diane Chamberlain Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward Behemoth (Leviathan, #2) by Scott Westerfeld Lessons in Murder by Claire McNab Exclusively Yours (Kowalski Family, #1) by Shannon Stacey I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith He's So Not Worth It (He's So/She's So, #2) by Kieran Scott Tyger Tyger (Goblin Wars, #1) by Kersten Hamilton Waking Up in the Land of Glitter A Crafty Chica Novel by Kathy Cano-Murillo A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty A Novel by Joshilyn Jackson Night Work by Thomas Glavinic One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez  Dead is a Battlefield by Marlene Perez

message 3: by Kathy G. (last edited Apr 27, 2012 04:39PM) (new)

Kathy G. | 1866 comments Option 4-
(Two People - Two Lips)
Portion of the Sea by Christine Lemmon Believe It or Not by Tawna Fenske One Day by David Nicholls

Option 5-

Option 6-
(Approved)
The Walking Dead, Vol. 2: Miles Behind Us
"Sookie Stackhouse" books
Anne Rice (Series: The Vampire Chronicles, Lives of the Mayfair Witches, New Tales of the Vampires, and The Songs of Seraphim)
The Diary of a Young Girl

message 4: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (JennReneeRead) | 1168 comments is this enough green Eve (Eve, #1) by Anna Carey or Pegasus by Robin McKinley

message 5: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1866 comments JennRenee wrote: "is this enough green Eve (Eve, #1) by Anna Carey or Pegasus by Robin McKinley"

I was looking for more green.
You might look here---
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/29...

message 6: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (JennReneeRead) | 1168 comments Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder will this one work

message 7: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1866 comments Yes-- that one is great!

message 8: by Boston Kate (new)

Boston Kate | 403 comments Would The Walking Dead, Vol. 2: Miles Behind Us work as a scary book (for option 6)?

(I was going to use the two lips option, but it looks like the zombies might not actually have lips, so I wasn't sure that would work either).

The Walking Dead, Vol. 2 Miles Behind Us by Robert Kirkman

message 9: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1866 comments Perfect for Option 6-- It sounds creepy!
The "two lips" option needs just "two people" on the cover.

:-)

message 10: by Boston Kate (new)

Boston Kate | 403 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Perfect for Option 6-- It sounds creepy!
The "two lips" option needs just "two people" on the cover.

:-)"

Okay, awesome. Thanks. :)

message 11: by Randi (last edited Feb 18, 2012 08:51PM) (new)

Randi (Randikins) | 256 comments Checking on Sadie Walker is Stranded for #6 because zombies scare the crap out of me!

And Freaky Green Eyes by Joyce Carol Oates for #3 for a green cover.

message 12: by Meranda (new)

Meranda (msl87) For option 6 -- will a Sookie Stackhouse novel work ??

message 13: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1866 comments I think all the Sookie books will work. Vampires are creepy.
I'll accept Freaky Green Eyes by Joyce Carol Oates as being mostly green.

message 14: by Meranda (new)

Meranda (msl87) Kathy G. wrote: "I think all the Sookie books will work. Vampires are creepy.

Thanks Kathy !!

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) Will this work for green, option #3?

At Home with the Templetons A Novel by Monica McInerney

This is the copy I've got (PB), but it's actually much greener in real life.

Thanks

message 16: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1866 comments That looks green to me! :-)

message 17: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2171 comments I plan to read The Sword and the Chain for option 2. Joel Rosenberg was born in May and the book was first published in April. And, I will read Portion of the Sea by Christine Lemmon for option 4 as there are two people kissing on the cover.

message 18: by Aleksandra (last edited Feb 19, 2012 09:50AM) (new)

Aleksandra (AleksandraKonwa) | 764 comments Breaking the Silence. Diane Chamberlain by Diane Chamberlain will work for option 3?

message 19: by Randi (new)

Randi (Randikins) | 256 comments Kathy G. wrote: "I think all the Sookie books will work. Vampires are creepy.
I'll accept Freaky Green Eyes by Joyce Carol Oates as being mostly green."

Thanks, Kathy G! :)

message 20: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1866 comments Bea wrote: "I plan to read The Sword and the Chain for option 2. Joel Rosenberg was born in May and the book was first published in April. And, I will read Portion of the Sea by Christine Lemmon..."

Great choices.

message 21: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1866 comments Aleksandra wrote: "Breaking the Silence. Diane Chamberlain by Diane Chamberlain will work for option 3?"

Yes- this is green.

message 22: by Becky (new)

Becky (ragamuffin_child) | 68 comments I want to read The Spring of the Ram (The House of Niccolo, #2) by Dorothy Dunnett; does anyone know if this is actually set in springtime? I'd hate to read it and find out otherwise.

message 23: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1866 comments This book would work for Option #5- using the "ng" in “der Frühling”.

message 24: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1866 comments I found this great review of the book--- but nothing indicates what season it is set in.

http://thesleeplessreader.com/2010/11...

message 25: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3147 comments Becky wrote: "I want to read The Spring of the Ram (The House of Niccolo, #2) by Dorothy Dunnett; does anyone know if this is actually set in springtime? I'd hate to read it and find out otherwise."

I don't know about the Spring part of it, but it would work for 30.4 B -- word with ING

message 26: by April (last edited Feb 20, 2012 11:54AM) (new)

message 27: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1866 comments I'm sorry--- this needs to be more green.

message 28: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1866 comments April wrote: "Will Queen Hereafter: A Novel of Margaret of Scotland work for a green cover?Queen Hereafter A Novel of Margaret of Scotland by Susan Fraser King"

This book would fit task 30.5-- a Romance.

message 29: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (SheilaJ) | 1928 comments April wrote: "Will Queen Hereafter: A Novel of Margaret of Scotland work for a green cover?Queen Hereafter A Novel of Margaret of Scotland by Susan Fraser King"

OR 15.1 setting at least 30 years ago.

message 30: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Sureshot26) | 771 comments Found one that's double trouble for option #3. Heck, if you count the fact that the editor is Irish, triple threat!

Dublin Noir The Celtic Tiger vs. The Ugly American by Ken Bruen

message 31: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1866 comments Very Cool! :-)

message 32: by April (last edited Feb 20, 2012 12:56PM) (new)

April What about this for green? Destined by Allison Kraft

Or I can use it for #2 because Kraft was born in May

message 33: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1866 comments I'm sorry-- I think that is blue.

message 34: by Kathy G. (last edited Feb 20, 2012 01:09PM) (new)

Kathy G. | 1866 comments April wrote: "What about this for green?Destined by Allison Kraft

Or I can use it for #2 because Kraft was born in May"

Sorry--- I missed you last comment--- Yes- to her being born in May.

message 35: by Riya (new)

Riya (riyaishere) | 189 comments Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward will this book cover work for # 3?

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs wil this book work for # 1?

Also, do Anne Rice books (such as the Wolf Gift or Blackwood Farm) count as scary books?

message 36: by Kathy G. (last edited Feb 20, 2012 02:32PM) (new)

Kathy G. | 1866 comments Mariya wrote: "Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward will this book cover work for # 3?

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs wil this book work for # 1?

Also, do Anne Rice books (suc..."

1) Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward is very green.

2) The "photo" has to be actual photos with edges showing the photo (not a photo cover)

3) Yes-- Anne Rice sounds scary to me.

message 37: by Riya (new)

Riya (riyaishere) | 189 comments thank you kathy :)

message 38: by Becky (new)

Becky (ragamuffin_child) | 68 comments Kathy G. wrote: "This book would work for Option #5- using the "ng" in “der Frühling”.

:-)"

Thanks, I'll do it for that. :D

message 39: by Chris (new)

Chris (ChrisMD) | 555 comments Is this green enough?
Behemoth (Leviathan, #2) by Scott Westerfeld

message 40: by Chris (new)

Chris (ChrisMD) | 555 comments sorry, should have made this one post.
Will this work as the photograph. (You may have to enlarge it, but it is a real photo on the right.)
March by Geraldine Brooks

message 41: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1866 comments Chris wrote: "sorry, should have made this one post.
Will this work as the photograph. (You may have to enlarge it, but it is a real photo on the right.)
March by Geraldine Brooks"

Yes to both!!!

message 42: by BZimm (new)

BZimm | 153 comments Will this work for a green cover?

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie

message 43: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1866 comments Sorry, that is not green enough.

message 44: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1866 comments Birish wrote: "Will this work for a green cover?

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie"

Dai Sijie has a March birthday. You could use this book for Option 2. :-)

message 45: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 577 comments Lessons in Murder by Claire McNab Green enough?

message 46: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1866 comments Cindy wrote: "Lessons in Murder by Claire McNab Green enough?"

Yes, that's great. :-)

message 47: by Fran (new)

Fran | 735 comments Exclusively Yours (Kowalski Family, #1) by Shannon Stacey. Enough green?

message 48: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments Fran wrote: "Exclusively Yours (Kowalski Family, #1) by Shannon Stacey. Enough green?"

If you read that Fran, I think you'll like it. That whole series is really cute. This one was my second favorite but my favorite was book 3, Yours to Keep.

message 49: by Fran (new)

Fran | 735 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Fran wrote: "Exclusively Yours (Kowalski Family, #1) by Shannon Stacey. Enough green?"

If you read that Fran, I think you'll like it. That whole series is really cute. This one was my second favorite but my favorit..."

Thanks Sass :)

message 50: by Kathy G. (last edited Feb 23, 2012 04:37PM) (new)

Kathy G. | 1866 comments Fran wrote: "Exclusively Yours (Kowalski Family, #1) by Shannon Stacey. Enough green?"

I'll accept this as green---
Should you want to change it later-
It was also first published in May! :-)

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Red Scarf (other topics)
Eve (other topics)
Pegasus (other topics)
Magic Study (other topics)
The Walking Dead, Vol. 02: Miles Behind Us (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lisa See (other topics)
Lauren Willig (other topics)