The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP Spring 2012 > 30.2 Sassafrass's task: “What I want to be” meets “What did I become”...

Comments (showing 101-135 of 135) (135 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 101: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments Looking for any suggestions for mystery/historical or paranormal for a computer tech or accounting Thanks

message 102: by Bea (last edited Feb 22, 2012 03:41AM) (new)

Bea | 1679 comments You've Got Murder by Donna Andrews - the first in a series about a computer becoming sentient and solving a murder and saving his tech.

Delightful read.

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments That sounds really cute, Bea! And a great premise.

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 922 comments I am a tutor. Does Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell work?

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments yep, that's been approved for jobs in education, so you're good!

KSMary | 357 comments I also need suggestions. I currently work in property management.

Kathy G. | 1671 comments If realty works--- I found these mystery books where the main character is a realtor.

The Death Contingency

Dlmrose | 8049 comments Mod
Here's a resource of books by job
Stop You're Killing Me Job Index

message 109: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 739 comments i've got a question for "what i wanted to be"....when i was growing up i was fascinated with Wild Kingdom and any nature show and wanted to be one of those people out there with the animals. could i read something by Jane Goodall since she's out there with the animals??? specifically i was thinking of either In the Shadow of Man or Africa in My Blood: An Autobiography in Letters. thanks so much for your help! :)

message 110: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Here's a resource of books by job
Stop You're Killing Me Job Index"

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. I am no longer stressing over this task!!! :}

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments kiki wrote: "i've got a question for "what i wanted to be"....when i was growing up i was fascinated with Wild Kingdom and any nature show and wanted to be one of those people out there with the animals. could..."

yep, those would work well.

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Here's a resource of books by job
Stop You're Killing Me Job Index"

Thanks, Dlmrose!

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments KSMary wrote: "I also need suggestions. I currently work in property management."

Kathy G's suggestion work. Property management/real estate are in the same type of work.

message 114: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 739 comments Sassafrass wrote: "kiki wrote: "i've got a question for "what i wanted to be"....when i was growing up i was fascinated with Wild Kingdom and any nature show and wanted to be one of those people out there with the an..."

great, thank you! :)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Hello Ms. Sassy,

I realized that I didn't double check to make sure Frankenstein would work for scientist?

Debra (debra_t) | 81 comments Please let me know if my 2 are ok:

Lilja's Library: The World of Stephen King This book is about Stephen King, my favorite author. When I was young, I wanted to be a writer.

The Alienist: The book features a psychologist. Although, I'm not a psychologist, I work in the mental health field in a type of therapy call Peer Support. This is where people living with mental illness help their peers in their recovery. I'm am trained and certified in this field.

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "Hello Ms. Sassy,

I realized that I didn't double check to make sure Frankenstein would work for scientist?"

That's fine. :)

message 118: by Sassafrass (last edited Mar 13, 2012 03:03PM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments Debra wrote: "Please let me know if my 2 are ok:

Lilja's Library: The World of Stephen King This book is about Stephen King, my favorite author. When I was young, I wanted to be a writer.

[boo..."

The second one works for mental health, no problem.

The first book works only if most of the book is about Stephen King and not just reviews of his works. I can't tell by the description if that's the case.

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments Debra, I thought for sure I saw a reply to my last post on message 118 but it's not there. So if you had more information, please let me know. It's this part of the description that I am talking about:

"The reviews include detailed commentary on well-known works by and about Stephen King, along with details about the rare works you might not have heard of, including the original scripts for Hearts in Atlantis, Stud City, and dozens of others; the original pilot for The Dead Zone that never aired on TV; Walking The Mile: The Making Of (a book that has never been released); the Pet Sematary and Secret Window, Secret Garden UK dramatizations; the dozens of Dollar Babies, and more!

I don't know how much of the book that actually comprises.

Debra (debra_t) | 81 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Debra, I thought for sure I saw a reply to my last post on message 118 but it's not there. So if you had more information, please let me know. It's this part of the description that I am talking ..."

Sorry... thought I deleted it before anyone could see it. I am going to look through the book before I decide to use it. If it's more about his works than himself, then I'll come up with something else.

Thanks for your help!

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments Ok, Debra. I thought it was a glitch in goodreads. If it's mostly the interviews about Stephen King himself, I say go ahead and use it!

Debra (debra_t) | 81 comments I found a different one by King that fits more closely to my early ambition of wanting to be a writer: Secret Windows: Essays and Fiction on the Craft of Writing by Stephen King. A book about writing by my favorite author - who could want more!?

message 123: by Kara (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) Would this work? I wanted to be an economist in college, but I'm currently a project manager.

These are both non-fiction, so I wasn't sure if it fit with the theme.

Dear Undercover Economist
The Basics of Project Evaluation and Lessons Learned

(If not, there aren't many books about project managers, so I was thinking I could go the route of economics being what I was trained in and something else for what I wanted to be as a little kid.)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments Debra wrote: "I found a different one by King that fits more closely to my early ambition of wanting to be a writer: Secret Windows: Essays and Fiction on the Craft of Writing by [author:Stephen Ki..."

That's fine

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments Kara wrote: "Would this work? I wanted to be an economist in college, but I'm currently a project manager.

These are both non-fiction, so I wasn't sure if it fit with the theme.

[book:Dear Undercover Economis..."

The first book is fine. The second doesn't really work. BUT, instead of using project manager, you could use the type of company you work for. Or what types of projects you manage instead. What kind of company do you work for?

message 126: by Kara (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) Well, I work for a medical device company and manage global labeling projects...so that's probably going to be pretty difficult, haha.

Considering I was an econ manager in college, could I use that for Book 2 and something else for Book 1?

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments Kara wrote: "Well, I work for a medical device company and manage global labeling projects...so that's probably going to be pretty difficult, haha.

Considering I was an econ manager in college, could I use tha..."

If you work for a medical device company, that's considered biomedical engineering. you could do anything in medicine, engineering or science.

for book 2, you could use economics. and you could do something else of book 1 based on something else you had aspired to be as a kid. :)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I wanted to see if this book would work for scientist/engineering... The Girl in the Clockwork Collar. I am about 1/2 way through and Emily, Finley's close friend, in her "band of misfits" is the scientist of the group where they all work with a special ore that is found and it also just had an appearance by Nikola Tesla in the book

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments sounds like that would work, Meghan.

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Thanks!!!!

message 131: by Kara (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) Sassafrass, if I use the economics as my Book 2 as suggested, could I use Bad Science for my Book 1? Ben Goldacre is a journalist (and I always wanted to be a journalist) who exposes scientific inaccuracy, and this book is a non-fiction collection of some of his findings.

(Sorry for all the questions!)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments Kara, from the description of this book it appears that he's a scientist first and writing based on his findings, but since on the main page it has journalism/writing as a genre, I'll ok it. :)

message 133: by Kara (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) Phew! Finally got one. Thank you, Sassafrass!

Mrs.soule (Mrssoule) | 660 comments How "professional" does our childhood dream profession have to be? Because for quite some time my childhood fantasy jobs were being an explorer or a mermaid princess, preferably both so I could explore underwater too. I figure mermaid princess is bit of a stretch for where you were trying to go for this task, but will explorer work? I did recently read When the Duke Returns in which the hero made a profession for himself out of exploration (in the 19th century).

message 135: by Sassafrass (last edited May 11, 2012 07:00PM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments Explorer is fine. Mythical professions are a bit of stretch. :)

1 3 next »