The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP Spring 2012 > 30.2 Sassafrass's task: “What I want to be” meets “What did I become”...

Comments (showing 1-50 of 135) (135 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Mar 12, 2012 06:06PM) (new)

Sandy | 8614 comments Mod
30.2 Sassafrass's task: “What I want to be” meets “What did I become”...

My five year old daughter and the rest of her Pre-K class had to draw pictures or write about what they wanted to be when they grew up. It was very cute looking at all of their hard work and seeing the different careers these imaginative kids envisioned themselves pursuing when they grow up.

The project got me thinking about when I was a kid. There were times when I wanted to be a ballerina, an astronaut, an inventor, and even a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader. But after having a pretty scary eye injury in the sixth grade, I decided that I wanted to be a doctor.

Fast forward 25 years, and I think about how differently life turned out but there are also some similarities there. What about you?

For this task, you will read two books:

Book 1: Read a book (it can be either fiction or non-fiction) that that has as a central character a character/person who has the job--or one of the jobs--that you thought you wanted to have when you were growing up.
REQUIRED: state what you wanted to be when you grew up and if not clear from the book description, please explain how your book fits the task.

Book 2: Read a book (it can be either fiction or non-fiction) that that has as a central character a character/person who has the job/career that you have now or that you were trained to do.
***Special exceptions***
1. If you are a Stay-at-home-Mom or Dad--you can have your occupation to be a SAHM or SAHD and read about someone who does/did that or you can use the occupation you had prior to becoming a parent.
2. If you are a retiree--you can read about someone who is retired or use your occupation prior to retirement.
3. If you are a young person who hasn’t had a job or career yet, use the occupation that you are most seriously considering at this stage in your life.

REQUIRED: state what you have “become” and if not clear from the book description, please explain how your book fits the task.

Note: If your childhood dream and your adult occupation is the same, you may read two different books with characters/people doing the same type of occupation, just make sure you note that when you post.

Optional: Tell us if your life is different or similar to how your “kid” self envisioned it.

message 2: by Sassafrass (last edited Feb 19, 2012 04:37AM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments Professions: I don't want this to be too restrictive, so if your professions are in the same realm as the character's profession, I'll take it. This also should be a pretty central character to the story/book. Here are some examples of what would work. I'll take any of the these professions if your dream profession or current profession are in that category.

medicine: nurse, doctor, orderly, hospital social worker, physical therapist, etc
law: judge, lawyer, court reporter, paralegal, law enforcement
finance: accountant, bookkeeper, venture capitalist
politician: mayor, POTUS, prime minister, king, queen, secretary of state, any person who works in a president's or monarch's administration
military: any branch but NOT mercenary
education: teacher, professor, dean, principal, teacher's assistant, student teacher, school counselor, even a tutor--if the person is PAID to do it and that's their source of income
communications: newspaper, television, radio, web reporter/blogger--if that's how they make their living
dancer: ballet, tap, jazz, lyrical, exotic, dance instructor
musician: singer, any type of instrument player, member of a band, music instructor/teacher
construction/builder: construction worker, architect, civil engineering, draftsman, welder

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 2124 comments anyone know any books that feature a veternarian as a character?

message 5: by Sue T (new)

Sue T (SueTinge) | 1219 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "anyone know any books that feature a veternarian as a character?"

James Herriot - wonderful reads.

message 6: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 2907 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "anyone know any books that feature a veternarian as a character?"

Maybe The Story of Doctor Dolittle: Being the History of His Peculiar Life at Home and Astonishing Adventures in Foreign Parts

message 7: by JennRenee (last edited Feb 18, 2012 03:50PM) (new)

JennRenee (JennReneeRead) | 1058 comments I am not really sure what kind of book I will read for what I am now. I do accounts payable for a reverse mortgage company. any ideas?

I also have a degree for paralegal. Can I read a fiction about a lawyer?

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 5153 comments Cynthia Baxter has a vet series of mysteries as well

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "anyone know any books that feature a veternarian as a character?"

message 9: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments JennRenee wrote: "I am not really sure what kind of book I will read for what I am now. I do accounts payable for a reverse mortgage company. any ideas?

I also have a degree for paralegal. Can I read a fiction abou..."

I won't be specific for your jobs. You can pick a main category. So, if you work in accounts payable, you could read about finance or read about an accountant.

If you were trained as a paralegal, anything dealing with the Law--lawyer, judge, paralegal...it all works.

message 10: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (JennReneeRead) | 1058 comments Sassafrass wrote: "JennRenee wrote: "I am not really sure what kind of book I will read for what I am now. I do accounts payable for a reverse mortgage company. any ideas?

I also have a degree for paralegal. Can I r..."

thanks

message 11: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (JennReneeRead) | 1058 comments would law include law enforcement?

message 12: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments I'll take it.

message 13: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (JennReneeRead) | 1058 comments Sassafrass wrote: "I'll take it."

thanks

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 2124 comments thanks everyone for the suggestions.

message 15: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1087 comments Does anyone know of any books about someone who writes knitting patterns? I would prefer not chick-lit but I suspect that's asking too much.

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 5153 comments i'm assuming if you write knitting patterns you knit...I know there is a knitting mystery series out there...

message 17: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 753 comments Hi, I am a Retiree :)
But I had 2 Careers. I worked in Broadcasting before I went to work for the federal government...there are no books written in which the main character works for Social Security Administration :(
Could I read a book about any Agency like a CIA operative or a reporter for book 2, please?

message 18: by Sassafrass (last edited Feb 18, 2012 07:16PM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments for the SSA: I'll take any government agency, but it should be administration, not operative--I think that's a totally different realm.

Broadcasting--I'll take any kind of mass communications--newspaper, television, radio. I'd even take a blogger or a web reporter as long as it was that person's job not their hobby.

message 19: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1731 comments Hope these work---
I wanted to be an interpreter and took Spanish and French. (Don't use the French so don't remember much!)

Now I'm a elementary teacher and use my Spanish all the time.

The Interpreter
Good-Bye, Mr. Chips

message 20: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments both work!

message 21: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1731 comments Thanks!

message 22: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 753 comments Sassafrass wrote: "for the SSA: I'll take any government agency, but it should be administration, not operative--I think that's a totally different realm.

Broadcasting--I'll take any kind of mass communications--new..."

Thanks! For the SSA I'll take any government agency, but it should be administration, could I read
It's Classified by Nicolle Wallace or Murder at The Washington Tribune (Capital Crimes, #21) by Margaret Truman
for the reporter? thanks

message 23: by Sassafrass (last edited Feb 18, 2012 07:36PM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments Murder at The Washington Tribune works, but I think of a a "Senior Communications Advisor" to the president to be a politician first, communications is secondary, so I don't think It's Classified works.

message 24: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Mmmmm....When I was young I wanted to be a teacher or a singer, anybody have any good ideas?

Also for now I work in food manufacturing as a supervisor and I have a degree in Chemical & Biological Engineering. Anybody have any good ones for this?

message 25: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1731 comments Meghan-- Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal might work--- food manufacturing perhaps???

message 26: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 753 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Murder at The Washington Tribune works, but I think of a a "Senior Communications Advisor" to the president to be a politician first, communications is secondary, so I don't think [book..."

Ok, then it is [book:Murder at The Washington Tribune|1500592] for book 2. Book 1 is easy - I wanted to be a lawyer...mmmm I am kicking myself now lol. Thanks! See you on Amazon as well as GR!

message 27: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 753 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "Mmmmm....When I was young I wanted to be a teacher or a singer, anybody have any good ideas?

Also for now I work in food manufacturing as a supervisor and I have a degree in Chemical & Biological ..."

Teacher: Good-Bye, Mr. Chips

message 28: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Meghan-- Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal might work--- food manufacturing perhaps???"

That works.

message 29: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "Mmmmm....When I was young I wanted to be a teacher or a singer, anybody have any good ideas?

Also for now I work in food manufacturing as a supervisor and I have a degree in Chemical & Biological ..."

for the Chemical and Biological Engineering--I'd take any scientist or engineer because your field is a combo of both.

perhaps something in the sci-fi realm would be good because it combines both the science and the engineering of stuff like with clones. I'll look and see if I find something good.

message 30: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Feb 18, 2012 08:09PM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Oh yeah, I forgot that I also wanted to be a dancer and I saw a book that came out not too long ago that would fit well into that one. I think anyway Bunheads?

message 31: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "Oh yeah, I forgot that I also wanted to be a dancer and I saw a book that came out not too long ago that would fit well into that one. I think anyway Bunheads?"

That works, it sounds cute.

message 32: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Sureshot26) | 771 comments I sincerely hope that no one can think of a book featuring a retirement plan administrator, because I think I would probably die of boredom reading it. Assuming, of course, the author didn't do so writing it!

I'm hoping that I can use one of the following options - would these work?

* I have, but have never used professionally, a master's in library science.
* Stretching my field to include finance/economics

If someone needs a book featuring an actuary, Jennifer Crusie's Bet Me is a delightfully non-dry choice.

message 33: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments Meghan I found this list of "Mad Scientists". Do any of these strike your fancy?

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/14...

message 34: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I have a couple of those classics on my Nook to read...maybe I will get around to one of those. I will also keep looking.

message 35: by Randi (last edited Feb 18, 2012 08:40PM) (new)

Randi (Randikins) | 256 comments Book 1: Planning on In the Woods since one of my many "I wanna be when I grow up" jobs was detective. :)

Book 2: I was looking through that listopia list featuring teachers (I'm a pre-service teacher currently working towards my Master's), and found Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell on there...I've been wanting to read it, so it caught my eye, but it sounds like the "teacher" featured is a magician who takes a "pupil"/apprentice. Does this count for teaching? If not, I can definitely find something else! :)

I really like this task, by the way! Fun stuff!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 2124 comments If it were me, I say it counted but I am not the task master.

message 37: by mstan (new)

mstan | 837 comments For those who are teachers/ ever thought of being teachers, here's a useful list.

message 38: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments mstan wrote: "For those who are teachers/ ever thought of being teachers, here's a useful list."

Thanks, mstan!

message 39: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments Randi wrote: "Book 1: Planning on In the Woods since one of my many "I wanna be when I grow up" jobs was detective. :)

Book 2: I was looking through that listopia list featuring teachers (I'm a p..."

thanks, Randi!

I would say that for book 2, since the description states the younger magician is the "student" of the older one, I'll take it.

message 40: by Randi (new)

Randi (Randikins) | 256 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Randi wrote: "Book 1: Planning on In the Woods since one of my many "I wanna be when I grow up" jobs was detective. :)

Book 2: I was looking through that listopia list featuring tea..."

Thanks! :)

message 41: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (AleksandraKonwa) | 755 comments when I was a small I wanted be a teacher but it didint happend :(
I studied administration but my thesis was from criminal law about traficking in women and children so can I read a Trafficked My story

message 42: by Randi (new)

Randi (Randikins) | 256 comments mstan wrote: "For those who are teachers/ ever thought of being teachers, here's a useful list."

Bookmarked that! Thanks mstan!

message 43: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments Aleksandra wrote: "when I was a small I wanted be a teacher but it didint happend :(
I studied administration but my thesis was from criminal law about traficking in women and children so can I read a [book:Trafficke..."

No, you can't read that unless you wanted or were a sex slave or trafficked. You have to read a book where the central character is what you trained for.

You said you studied administration...I'm not sure exactly what that means but you could read about someone who is a personal assistant, office manager, adminstrator of a hospital or nursing home...

If you give me more detail about your field, I could help more.

message 44: by Sam (new)

Sam | 175 comments Influenced by reading John Grisham & Richard North Patterson in my teens I wanted to by a lawyer & I now work in a library so I'm assuming these 2 books will work.
Book 1:The Brass Verdict
Book 2:The Borrower

message 45: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments Sam wrote: "Influenced by reading John Grisham & Richard North Patterson in my teens I wanted to by a lawyer & I now work in a library so I'm assuming these 2 books will work.
Book 1:[book:The Brass Verdict|27..."

yep, you're good

message 46: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1842 comments This is a bit of a tough task for me. :) It was a LONG time ago that I was small. My best memory is that I wanted to be a horse, own horses, live with horses, etc. When we played "cowboys and indians" in my neighborhood, I was always the wild horse. Would The Horse Whisperer work for book 1?

Since I am an RN, would a medical mystery work or would I need to find a story about a nurse?

message 47: by Aleksandra (last edited Feb 19, 2012 09:34AM) (new)

Aleksandra (AleksandraKonwa) | 755 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Aleksandra wrote: "when I was a small I wanted be a teacher but it didint happend :(
I studied administration but my thesis was from criminal law about traficking in women and children so can I rea..."

would then any office romance (shelf http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/o...) work for this task?

message 48: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 5153 comments anybody got any good ballerina/gymnest stories for growing up

message 49: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments Aleksandra wrote: "Sassafrass wrote: "Aleksandra wrote: "when I was a small I wanted be a teacher but it didint happend :(
I studied administration but my thesis was from criminal law about traficking in women and ch..."

That list would work as long as one of the main characters is an administrative assistant or office manager.

message 50: by Sassafrass (last edited Feb 19, 2012 03:03PM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments Bea wrote: "This is a bit of a tough task for me. :) It was a LONG time ago that I was small. My best memory is that I wanted to be a horse, own horses, live with horses, etc. When we played "cowboys and indi..."

That sounds like it works for rancher/horseman/farmer type of occupation

As far as being an RN a medical mystery should work as long as one of the main characters is in the medical field: doctor, nurse, orderly,etc.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Story of Doctor Dolittle (other topics)
The Interpreter (other topics)
Good-Bye, Mr. Chips (other topics)
Murder at The Washington Tribune (other topics)
It's Classified (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

James Herriot (other topics)
Cynthia Baxter (other topics)
Kit Iwasaki (other topics)
Carol Cassella (other topics)
Jeanne Ray (other topics)
More...