WW 20s groupies discussion

What are you reading/have you recently finished?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 62) (62 new)    post a comment »

Lindsay IL (LindsayIL) | 131 comments Mod
Currently I am reading Eragon, while also sporadically reading In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin. The first is an easy (but long) read. I've read so many poor reviews for it because its "so similar to Lord of the Rings" but that aside, I find it to be a story I want to keep reading. The latter is good but drags on and on. I liked Erik Larson's The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America better. But I'll get through.

I also recently finished Don't Breathe a Word, which I couldn't put down. Its on our poll as an option for a March read because a couple said they were interested (and its a "bargain book"--$2.99 for nook right now I think?).

Meagan (MeaganandCheese) | 24 comments Currently reading: Living Dead in Dallas (almost finished)

Just read: Lord John and the Private Matter.

Both are part of series I just love!

Brian (RayFinkle) Finishing up pebble in the sky.

Ashley (sprtychick10) Just finished "the hunger games" and am currently reading "the postmistress"

Lindsey | 10 comments I'm currently reading Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult....pretty good read, very standard of her type of work.

Just finished The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset - SO GOOD. I was/am obsessed.

Ashley (sprtychick10) Lindsay, I read "plain truth" a while ago and enjoyed it. I cant wait to start the next book in the hunger games series

Lindsey | 10 comments I enjoyed Plain Truth - I got really into the descriptions of the Amish lifestyle and thought that was really interesting. I finished that book last night and am now reading Life As I Blow It: Tales Of Love, Life & Sex . . . Not Necessarily In That Order which is a REALLY funny, quick read. You can tell that Chelsea Handler and the author are very good friends - very similar stories/writing styles.

Courtney (cwest1011) | 15 comments I just downloaded MWF Seeking BFF: My Yearlong Search for a New Best Friend by Rachel Bertsche. I'll be starting it tonight!

I'm also in the midst of reading Restless Virgins by Abigail Jones & Marissa Miley about the boarding school sex scandal at Milton Academy a few years ago. It's definitely interesting...for some reason the prep school culture has always been fascinating for me. And this book is based on interviews with students from Milton.

Dana (DanaDew18nj) | 21 comments I liked Plain Truth- Youa re right its very typical of her style of writing but I have say, I enjoyed that book a lot. Did you read 19 minutes? That story was unbelievable.

I am rereading book #1 of The Hunger Game series. :) prepping for the movie to come out in March!

OMG, I am SOOOOOOO excited for the Hunger Games movie to come out. Like, whoa. I read the books on a whim (a friend of mine had been recommending them for ages but I thought they sounded dumb) and don't regret it. *LOVED* it :)

Also, Plain Truth is really the only book of Piccoult's I have actually enjoyed (I've only read My Sister's Keeper and Change of Heart....didn't enjoy them as much).

Jennifer | 2 comments I just finished Warhorse before that was Water for Elephants. I am currently reading The Help. I'm a little behind the power curve on whats hot on the bookshelf. :) I LOVE Jodi Picoult books and lots of others.

Dana (DanaDew18nj) | 21 comments Lindsay, If you enjoyed Plain Truth you should read Salem Falls . James VanDerbeek just made a lifetime movie LOL, but honestly it was a really great book.

Meaghan (meaghan2293) | 58 comments Mod
I'm currently reading Jennifer Hudson's book, and listening to the art of racing in the rain. Both excellent selections!

Jennifer | 2 comments I agree with Dana! Salem Falls is good. Has anyone else read one of the other Picoult books: Mercy? Have any of you heard of or read the books by Amanda Hockings? I've gotten lots of recommendations on Hunger Games and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

Devon (brachedg) | 1 comments I just finished Jurassic Park about a week ago. SO GOOD. About a gazillion times better than the movies. Absolutely recommend, even for pansies like me who can't sleep after scary movies!

Currently reading Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett... It's pretty good so far, but I don't feel like I'm into the thick of the plot yet. Sticking it out though!

Sarah (surrahlin) | 4 comments I'm currently reading all the Harry Potter books-right now I'm on the second one. The set was a gift from my bf for Christmas, so I've been working on getting through them, since it's "asinine that I haven't read them all and I'm going to be a teacher."
I also downloaded a sample of "Hunger Games" onto my Nook-I've heard a lot about those books, as many of you have. Something else to add to my "I'm reading it so I can talk about it with my students book list".
I recently finished "The Help" and loved it, but it took me FOREVER to read. First complete book on the Nook.
I'm also in between listening to "11/22/63" by Stephen King and "The Best of Me" by Nicholas Sparks when I'm on long drives in the car.
Pretty much all over the place :)

Sarah (surrahlin) | 4 comments Lindsay wrote: "OMG, I am SOOOOOOO excited for the Hunger Games movie to come out. Like, whoa. I read the books on a whim (a friend of mine had been recommending them for ages but I thought they sounded dumb) and ..."

I agree with you about My Sister's Keeper and Change of Heart...Jodi Picoult seems to always write in the same exact style..different issues, but the same storyline. I've read many of her books, but I think 19 Minutes was a great one... very reminiscent of Columbine HS.

Kelsey | 2 comments The best Jodi Picoult book, in my opinion, is The Pact. It's the first one I've read, and have now read every single one of hers (except for Sing Me Home, haven't gotten to that yet).
I am also re-reading Hunger Games in preparation for the movie. I almost didn't read it because the description of it seemed so morbid, but I am SO glad I did!

Kelsey | 2 comments Also, The Book Thief is a great read as well.

Reena | 7 comments lindsay i read Eragon a long time ago and also found it to be draggy.

currently reading "Nobodys Prize," a silly easy read about Helen of troy. its kinda like historical fiction but definitely way more fiction. its a cute story anyway.

Dana (DanaDew18nj) | 21 comments Today has been a slow day with the phones at work. I popped in Nicholas Sparks Safe Haven. So far, good. It's a little slow but I'm really enjoying listening to it. Just started Disc 4 of 10. I will hopefully have this done by Wednesday :)

Oh, I also started (not work appropriate though) listening to Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler. It's HILARIOUS.

Dana (DanaDew18nj) | 21 comments oh my gosh. I am on disc 9 or 10. This is getting crazy!! Safe Haven !!

Dana (DanaDew18nj) | 21 comments 9 OF 10 **

Dana (DanaDew18nj) | 21 comments Anyone on this thing? I feel like I am talking to myself sometimes. ha ha.

Safe Haven ended up being really good. Slow at first but it really picked up!

Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea was AWESOME. I laughed the WHOLE time listening to it. I look forward to listening to another book of hers in the future.

I'm currently reading The Art of Racing in the Rain. It's wonderful and some of the things the dog touches upon, I really feel like MY dog wrote this story!

I just started a class, so I'm mainly sticking to brainless smutty books for the time being. Reading 50-100 pages a week for medical billing is enough for the serious stuff for now!

Anyone have any favorite authors to recommend for brainless fun reading?

Dana (DanaDew18nj) | 21 comments I just finished Jodi Picoult House Rules . It was OK, the ending was kind of abrupt but another typical Jodi book, haha..

I just started Danielle Steel Rogue . Nothing to report, yet, I literally just started this about 15 minutes ago :)

I'm not a huge Jodi Picoult fan. I used to read Lurlene McDaniel when I was a kid and I LOVED her stuff....the books would just make me sob!!! I thought Picoult would be an adult McDaniel....nah, she just bores me. I've read 2 of her books and that's enough for me.

I just finished reading The Hunger Games again in prep for the movie tomorrow at midnight....I am SO freakin' excited. I'm just going to cry through the whole movie I think. I hope its good. But now of course, I have to go on and re-read the second book. I just can't put them down. I am kinda thinking I enjoyed them more the first time around though...... :\

Erika (loveforpitbulls) | 21 comments I just read The Hunger Games again before I go see the movie. It was just as good the second time around. I just started Catching Fire again, just because!

I plan on reading Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris next.

Ashley (sprtychick10) I just finished "Home Front" by Kristin Hannah. I love her books!

Christine K | 61 comments I'm reading The Paris Wife about Hemingway's first marriage. It's really good. I'm going to finish it tonight/tomorrow and then start on The Monstrumoligist.

Erika (loveforpitbulls) | 21 comments I am now reading Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver

This book is really good so far. I never did get a chance to read Deadlocked, it is just too much for the Kindle edition.

That looks interesting, Erika - did you finish it?

Christine, what did you think of The Paris Wife? I've heard mixed reviews and can't decide if I want to put time into reading it.

I'm currently reading The Girl Who Played With Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson. I feel like its going a lot slower than The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, unfortunately.

Christine K | 61 comments Lindsay- I knocked it out really quickly but I have mixed opinions, too. Parts of it were draggy and often you want to slap some sense into the main character. I enjoy that time period and was picturing pieces he would have written. I think she did really well writing about the intimate gatherings and the home aspects of the Hemingways.

I say if you're interested in him, or that time period give it ago. If, not so much, let it pass.

Christine K | 61 comments I'm reading the The Monstrumologist. It's not as good as I had hoped. I think Yancey may be too verbose for my liking. I dunno, I'm not clicking with it so much. Perhaps too much dialogue.

Dana (DanaDew18nj) | 21 comments Hello WW friends, it's been a while since I've been signed onto this. I started a commute that was 3x as long as my normal commute so I have been listening to a number of books. Recently, I was given a small bag of them & they were all pretty good. James Patterson Private was awesome. I really enjoyed that & I am happy to say that was my FIRST James Paterson book ever.

Linda Howard The Touch Of Fire was a little soultry. It was good though and I would probably read it again b/c I liked the story behind it also.

Lisa Kleypas Blue-Eyed Devil was also good. I would reccomend it to friends (I would attempt getting this for free @ the library though. I wouldn't pay for it). It was about a woman who was in a deomestic violence relationship and she runs away to start a new life... with a twist at the end.

Debbie Macomber 1105 Yakima Street .... BOOOORRRINNGGG. I'm sure someone out there would like this easy, beach read but it was just not up my alley. I'm glad it was free and it was easy to listen to since my commute was so long. I wouldn't reccomend this to friends with similar taste in books.

I'm currently reading Fifty Shades of Grey C'mon.. fess up. Who's reading? lol talk about SOULTRY. Obviously this is one audiobook I have to listen to on headphones. ;)

Dana (DanaDew18nj) | 21 comments hello!? anyone out there! What is everyone currentlyreading?

I just finished a few... including Home Front by Kristin Hannah, Happy Birthday by Danielle Steel, My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands by Chelsea Handler, .Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir by Jenny Lawson- OMG AWFUL!! I couldn't even finish it.The Red Pyramid By Rick Roirdan- What a cute book!

& Lead Me On by Victoria Dahl... Definitly DID NOT expect this to be a sexytime book- I am telling you to beware that there are some pretty hardcore scenes. However, I REALLY enjoyed it b/c there was an actual story, unlike Fifty Shades of Grey series- In my opinion... I got bored by the sexytime scenes in book 2 and never completed the series. meh

Ashley (sprtychick10) I am reading "Summer Island" by Kristin Hannah.

Oh boy! Conversation! Yay!! Since we last met I have read Saving CeeCee Honeycutt (it was okay, not very exciting, IMO), Outlander (steamy Scottish lovin'--pretty exciting but very LONG. I read this after getting my wisdom teeth pulled), State of Wonder (didn't fall in love with the characters but I liked the story and the setting), and The Great Gatsby (meh). Currently I've got The Forgotten Garden on the back burner and 11/22/63 at the forefront. I'm ready to be done with the Stephen King. It has been on my TBR list for a long time and I picked it up in an airport while waiting for a delayed flight. I'm determined to finish though!

P.S. Dana, you said you listen to books? I just registered for audible.com and I get a free book...I have no idea where to start. Any recommendations? I'm just not sure I'm going to love audiobooks like I originally thought I might. I don't know..... :/

Reena | 7 comments i just finished UNWIND and UNWHOLLY by neal shusterman. hoolllyyyyyy crazy books. I wrote reviews if anyone wants to see my thoughts. Theyre YA distopian fiction but the issues go much deeper than even the Hunger Games, and i loved the characters so much more. Highly recommended!

Meagan (MeaganandCheese) | 24 comments I just finished rereading Interview with the Vampire - love it!

Now I am reading the 2nd Game of Thrones book. I am also listening to a very silly audio book called Halfway to the Grave - a vampire series, but entertaining on my commute.

Meagan (MeaganandCheese) | 24 comments Lindsay wrote: "P.S. Dana, you said you listen to books? I just registered for audible.com and I get a free book...I have no idea where to start. Any recommendations? I'm just not sure I'm going to love audiobooks..."

I've recently gotten into audiobooks. I like them on my commute, while I'm getting ready in the mornings, and during downtime at my desk (we can listen to headphones). I get them through my library's iphone app.

Dani Nicole (dani_nicoleYA) | 23 comments I am reading: Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller.... FANTASTIC so far... A Dieter's Prayer by Heather Kopp, also great... The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron and Die For Me by Amanda Plum. Just went to half price books and added a bunch to my TBR list.

Me Talk Pretty One Day- David Sedaris
Brave New World- Aldux Huxley
The Forbidden Game- L.J. Smith
Crazy Love- Francis Chan
Crescendo- Becca Fitzgerald

I finished Hush, Hush recently and it was entertaining but the romance wasn't that believable. I'm still reading the sequel though.

Mary | 42 comments Mod
Hey guys!

In trying to sleep better, I've gotten back into reading a lot more.

I finally finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. It took me a while to digest what I'd read, but overall I like it.

On a trip to Vermont I read The Kitchen House. It was another that needed digesting. I wasn't sure if I loved it when I was done, but looking back, I enjoyed reading it. It was really well written (especially for a first novel) and kept me incredibly interested.

Last night I finished Sisterhood Everlasting. It was MUCH better than I expected! I wasn't a fan of the last Ann brashares book I read...

I'm trying to talk myself into reading something I've already downloaded to my kindle (Cutting for Stone or Angels of Destruction: A Novel) but feel like i'll probably end up buying something new.

Aida Dietz In the past two weeks, i've read "World War Z", "Unwind", and now reading, "Tiger's Curse."

*CPR* TO THE WHAT ARE YOU READING/FINISHED READING THREAD!! *CPR*

In the past couple months since my last post, I have read:

11/22/63 - Rated it ****
The Forgotten Garden - Rated it *****
Candy Apple Dead - Rated it ****
Branded - Rated it ***
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - Rated it ***
Enchanted, Inc. - Rated it **** (I'm getting really in to this series - I recommend it!)
Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft - Rated it ** (I participated in a "Witchy" Challenge, can you tell?)
Dragonfly in Amber - Rated it ****
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - Rated it ***
Once Upon Stilettos - Rated it ****

Currently I'm reading:
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption - AUDIOBOOK =]
City of Women

Anyone else? Share and/or discuss?

Meagan (MeaganandCheese) | 24 comments I am in the middle of The Fountainhead and I really love it. My inner art history nerd is thrilled.

I recently finished the 4th Game of Thrones book and I LOVE that series!

message 48: by Ashley (last edited Nov 19, 2012 11:18AM) (new)

Ashley (sprtychick10) Some books I recently read were:
Sugar Daddy (Travises #1) ***

Blue Eyed Devil (Travises #2) ***

Sweethearts *

The Luxe **** of the Luxe series. I loved this first book of this YA series and can't wait to read the next ones.

Temptation by RL Stine **

Another piece of my heart by Jane Green ****

Reena | 7 comments i just finished Divergent and HATED it. i wrote a review on here if anyone wants to read it. It was almost as horrible as Twilight.

currently reading The False Princess, a fast paced fantasy tale with lots of twists and turns. It's really good!

I'm currently in the middle of the Rizzoli and Isles series by Tess Gerritsen. They are pretty good. Quick reads for the most part. I'm on book 5, and I believe there are 10 of them. I have Gone Girl, the new Sandra Brown book, and The Kitchen Daughter on deck to read.

« previous 1