The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP Spring 2012 > 15.2 - Dewey be Different

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Feb 17, 2012 09:11PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (PassionforthePage) | 5589 comments Mod
15.2 - Dewey be Different
Read two nonfiction books, each from a different “century” of the Dewey Decimal System (000s, 100s, 200s, etc.). Do you have a nonfiction book on your bookshelves that you want to read, but you don't know its Dewey Decimal numbers? This website - Classify - might help. Required: State the books' call numbers when posting.

placeholder

placeholder

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 914 comments I don't remember the exact year when this began, but the Dewey decimal number is on the verso page of recent books. Great idea for a task!

Karen GHHS wrote: "I don't remember the exact year when this began, but the Dewey decimal number is on the verso page of recent books. Great idea for a task!"

Cool! I never noticed that. Not all the nonfiction books on my shelves have them, but several do. It seems to depend on the publisher. Thanks, Karen!

Dee (austhokie) | 4437 comments cool task. I was going to ask about Child of the Jungle: The True Story of a Girl Caught Between Two Worlds - my library has biographies pulled out of the non-fiction section and they have their own spot in the library, so no call number, but this book does have an associated one in the classify website - will that work?

Classify puts it at 995.103092, but my library has it shelved as B KUEGLER KUE - B for Biography

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 914 comments More about Dewey--

In the beginning all books had a Dewey number...;)

At first, when Dewey created his system, everything was classified. Fiction is actually part of the 800s along with poetry, plays, essays and short stories. Then novels were separated out and a "fiction" section was created. Some libraries create other sections as well. I have the story collections & biographies separated out in our high school library, for example. Stories are all 800s. Biographies used to all have a designation in the 900s, but a few years back, they changed that so now the number is given according to the area they represent whether the library has them under B or not. A book about a religious figure would be classified in the 200s for example. So in a nutshell, anything nonfiction is going to fit somewhere!

Dee wrote: "cool task. I was going to ask about Child of the Jungle: The True Story of a Girl Caught Between Two Worlds - my library has biographies pulled out of the non-fiction section and the...

Classify puts it at 995.103092, but my library has it shelved as B KUEGLER KUE - B for Biography"

That will work for one of your books. Just be sure to list the 900 number when you post.

Dee (austhokie) | 4437 comments thanks Kristi - the other one is good because it has a DD in it, I just wanted to check on this one ;)

Kathy G. | 1648 comments When we post do you want us to link where we got our # or are the moderators going to check the numbers?

Kathy G. wrote: "When we post do you want us to link where we got our # or are the moderators going to check the numbers?"

If you have a link that'd be great. Otherwise, I'm going to rely on Classify or my local library catalog.

Kathy G. | 1648 comments Great- Thank you!

kiki (keekers) | 739 comments curious to know if you want the ENTIRE number (which can be rather lengthy on some books) or just the 3-digit number BEFORE the decimal? thanks for clarifying! :)

kiki wrote: "curious to know if you want the ENTIRE number (which can be rather lengthy on some books) or just the 3-digit number BEFORE the decimal? thanks for clarifying! :)"

Either way will work.

kiki (keekers) | 739 comments great, thanks! :)

Kathryn CA wrote: "Will these two work:
(1) Standing for Something: 10 Neglected Virtues That Will Heal Our Hearts and Homes (241.4)
(2) [book:Sex with the Queen: 900 Years of Vile Kings, Virile Lovers,..."

Yes, that works.

Sarah (MoragEpona) | 124 comments Hhm, when I find my first title on classify, I come up with a Class Number and Holdings. Do you want/need both? Or is just the first the "century" of Dewey Decimals. (I'm assuming DDC is the Dewey Decimal Classification...)

Wicca: The Complete Craft would be Class Number 299 and Holdings 259, so would that equal in 299.259?

Sarah wrote: "Hhm, when I find my first title on classify, I come up with a Class Number and Holdings. Do you want/need both? Or is just the first the "century" of Dewey Decimals. (I'm assuming DDC is the Dewey ..."

Wicca would be classified under religion, which is the 200s. That's all I'm really after.

Cindie Harp | 844 comments ok so if i read Homemade Home by Amanda Blake Soule (745.5) and The Rhythm of Family, also by Amanda (this one is 306.85) -- does that work?

Cindie wrote: "ok so if i read Homemade Home by Amanda Blake Soule (745.5) and The Rhythm of Family, also by Amanda (this one is 306.85) -- does that work?"

Yes, that'll work.