The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
SPRING CHALLENGE 2012: FIRE > Spring Challenge 2012: Tasks

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 04, 2012 05:30AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 8347 comments Mod
5 point tasks

5.1 Silhouette on the Shade
Help Thread
Read a book with a silhouette on the cover. A silhouette is an outline of an object with very few details as if cut out of paper. ex.
Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow The Girl Who Fell from the Sky by Heidi W. Durrow Little Bee by Chris Cleave Case Histories by Kate Atkinson An Abundance of Katherines by John Green Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater Black Swan Green by David Mitchell Split by Swati Avasthi
Required: Please include a link to the title or cover (preferred) when you post

5.2 Get Caught Reading
Help Thread
May is Get Caught Reading month. Read a book with an image of a book on the cover or the word "book" or "read" in the title or subtitle. Plurals, possessives, variations (booked, reading, reader, etc.) and compound words (cookbook, bookworm, bookshop, handbook, proofread, etc.) all work. ex. The Book of Lost Fragrances, Just My Type: A Book about Fonts, The Bookshop, The Reader, Reading Lolita in Tehran
Tolstoy and the Purple Chair  My Year of Magical Reading by Nina Sankovitch The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1) by Jasper Fforde The Violets of March by Sarah Jio Homicide In Hardcover (A Bibliophile Mystery, #1) by Kate Carlisle The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O. McNees
Required: Please include a link to the title or cover (preferred) when you post

5.3 Let's Hear it for the Boys
Help Thread
Read a book from the shelves of any male GR friend or male SRC member. This is a list of male SRC members who have posted recently or have 100+ books on their shelves. You are not restricted to this list- See the "members" link to search for more members.
Required: Please include the name of the friend or SRC member whose list you used.

5.4 The FIRE Within
Help Thread
Read a book with the LETTERS F, I, R, E in the title or subtitle. The letters do not need to appear consecutively ex. The Paris Wife, A Secret Gift, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

5.5 Possession
Help Thread
Read a book with a word in the possessive form ex. The Handmaid's Tale, The French Lieutenant's Woman, Someone Else's Life, The Dead Girls' Dance, Mallory's Oracle

5.6 SRC Recommends Redux
Help Thread
Add one or more books that you recommend to the Seasonal Reading Challenge Recommended Books, or vote for your favorites already listed, AND
Read a book from that list that someone else recommended.
Required: Please include the title of at least one book that you added or voted for AND the number ranking of your book at the time you selected it when you post.

5.7 I Love Paris in the Spring Time
Help Thread
I live Paris in the Spring Time, I love Paris in the fall.... Read a book set in France, written by a French author or a book originally written in French. Ex: The Paris Wife, Revolution, Around the World in Eighty Days, The Last Brother
These resources may help Best French Literature, Books About Paris, France in Contemporary Fiction, French Authors, Francophone Literature As with all GR lists, not all books that appear may work for this task.

5.8 Too Long To-Do List
Help Thread
The first week of March is National Procrastination Week, but since it's been postponed until next season...work on that to-read pile. Read one of the books that has been on your to-read pile for too long.

5.9 The Devil Made Me Do It
Help Thread
Read a book with the word "devil" or "hell" in the title or subtitle OR a book with the devil as a significant character or set in hell. Common synonyms work- Lucifer, Satan, "Prince of Darkness", infernal, underworld, hades, purgatory, etc.Ex. Blue-Eyed Devil, I, Lucifer: Finally, the Other Side of the Story, Satan's Stone, The Infernals, Come Back: A Mother and Daughter's Journey Through Hell and Back, The Hades Factor The Master and Margarita Less common synonyms may work- please check at the help thread. Plurals and possessives work.
Required: If the connection is not obvious in the GR description, please explain how your book fits the task when you post.

5.10 Good Minds Suggest
Help Thread
Using the Goodreads Newsletter column Good Minds Suggest read a book by one of the authors featured or a book that they recommend. If the author recommends a series you may read any book in the series.
Required: Please indicate the author who recommended your choice when you post

message 2: by Sandy (last edited Mar 04, 2012 05:12AM) (new)

Sandy | 7240 comments Mod
10 Point Tasks

10.1. Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
Help Thread
March 2 is the birthday of Dr. Suess. Dr. Seuss and Theo LeSieg are pen names for Theodor Seuss Geisel and LeSieg is Geisel spelled backwards: read a book with a word in the title that can make another word spelled backwards.

The word must be listed in the official scrabble word list. http://www.scrabble.com/
This list may help:
Backwards Words
REQUIRED: specify the word that you use. If the backwards word is not a common word, include a link to the scrabble list entry

10.2. ”The Shot Heard Round the World”
Help Thread
Patriots Day (commemorating the Battle of Lexington and Concord) is April 16 - read a book set during the Revolutionary War period (1775-1783) or a fiction or nonfiction book about the Revolutionary War, the significant characters of the war, or events leading up to the war. If you read a fiction book set during the 1775-1783 period, the book need not be about the Revolutionary War, and it does not have to be set in the U.S.
REQUIRED: if it is not otherwise clear,specify when your book takes place.

10.3. Run or Ride?
Help Thread
In the Boston area, Patriots Day features a re-enactment of Paul Revere’s Ride. It’s also the day of the Boston Marathon. Read a book featuring horses or with a horse on the cover or the word “horse” in the title, or a book about running, with a picture of a runner on the cover or a book set in Boston.
REQUIRED: If using one of the cover options, post a link to the cover of the book. If not using a cover or title option, explain how your book fits the task.

10.4. Fire Signs
Help Thread
Read a book by an author who was born under an Fire sign. For the purposes of this task, we will use the following dates: Aries (March 21-April 19), Leo (July 23-August 22), or Sagittarius (November 22 - December 21).
REQUIRED: Provide the author's birthdate when posting.

If Goodreads does not list the author's birthdate, you must provide a link to that information for verification in order to get credit for this task.

These lists may help: Author Birthdays, Famous Authors' Birthdays

10.5. All Fired Up!
Help Thread
Read a book (fiction or nonfiction) about a subject you're passionate (fired up) about.
REQUIRED: explain in your post the subject that you’re all fired up about and how your book relates to that subject.

10.6. Middle Name Pride Day
Help Thread
Read a book by an author who uses his or her middle name, either as part of a 3 (or more) word name (example: Orson Scott Card) or with an initial for his or her first name (example: F.Scott Fitzgerald). A middle initial does not work for this task - there must be a full middle name. A hyphenated name counts as one name.

10.7. Fuel to the Fire
Help Thread
Read another book by an author you first read during the winter challenge. If you did not read any new authors during the winter challenge, read a book by an author who is new to you now.
REQUIRED: state in your post whether the author was new to you in the winter challenge or is new to you now.

10.8. I Have a Question
Help Thread
Read a book with one of the following words in the title or subtitle: Who, What, When, Where, How, or Why. The word must appear in the title exactly - no variations allowed.

10.9. I’m On Fire! Read a book that you're "hot" to read.
Help Thread

10.10. April Fools Day!
Help Thread
Read a book that has “humor” as one of the genres listed on the book’s main page.

message 3: by Kristina Simon (last edited Mar 04, 2012 09:56AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (PassionforthePage) | 6375 comments Mod
15 point tasks

15.1 - Spring Forward
Help Thread
In the U.S., we “spring forward” for daylight savings time and “fall back” when it’s over. For this task, read 2 books:
Book 1 - Spring Forward: Read a book set at least 30 years in the future. Let's be optimistic and assume that the end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it is at least 30 years in the future. Therefore, any book labeled as dystopia, apocalyptic, or post-apocalyptic on it’s main GRs page will fit this task.
Book 2 - Fall Back: Read a book that is set at least 30 years in the past.
Required: If the date is not provided in the GRs description of the book, you must provide it when you post.

15.2 - Dewey be Different
Help Thread
Read two nonfiction books, each from a different “century” of the Dewey Decimal System (000s, 100s, 200s, etc.). Do you have a nonfiction book on your bookshelves that you want to read, but you don't know its Dewey Decimal numbers? This website - Classify - might help. Required: State the books' call numbers when posting.

15.3 - We Go Together Like...
Help Thread
Read TWO books that have words that are commonly linked together as a pair in their titles or subtitles. Examples: Salt: A World History and Pepper (salt and pepper); Friendship Bread and Flies on the Butter (bread and butter); Cats Are Not Peas: A Calico History of Genetics and Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening (peas and carrots), Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and Round Robin (Batman and Robin). Here are some other word pair examples.
OR
Read ONE book that contains two words that are commonly linked together as a pair in its title or subtitle. Examples: Lock and Key; Heart and Soul; Again and Again; Birds, Bees and Babies '94 (birds and bees); Mr. & Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy: Two Shall Become One (Mr. and Mrs.); A Day and a Night and a Day (night and day)

15.4 - ABC’s, 123’s ......
Help Thread
Read TWO books -- one that has a word in the title/subtitle that starts with the letter A, B or C and a second book with a number in the title/subtitle. Example: Cinder and Ten Things We Did; A is for Alibi and The First Wives Club
OR
Read ONE book that has a number and a word that starts with A, B, or C in its title/subtitle. Examples: 2nd Chance, 13 Little Blue Envelopes, Two Little Girls in Blue

15.5 - ...... And XYZ
Help Thread
Read a book in which the letters X, Y, or Z appear somewhere in the title/subtitle/series title or author’s name. Examples: Roxanne St. Claire, Deadly Game, Blaze

15.6 - They're On Fire
Help Thread
Read any book written by an author that has appeared on the New York Times Bestseller list so far this year. For example: Laura Hillenbrand shows up on the January 8, 2012 bestseller list under hardcover nonfiction. So, you could read Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption or Seabiscuit: An American Legend. Required: Include the date of the list you used when you post.

15.7 - Spring Into Action!
Help Thread
Read an action/adventure book. Either the genre "action" or the genre "adventure" (or both) must appear on the book's main GRs page for it to fulfill this task.

15.8 - International Worker’s Day
Help Thread
May 1st an international holiday known as International Worker’s Day. Read a book with a type of job or profession in the title. Emperor, Empress, King, Queen, Prince, Princess, Duke, Duchess, and Knight will be considered professions for the purposes of this task. Examples: The Surgeon, Shall We Tell the President?, Doctor Zhivago, The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, The Lincoln Lawyer

15.9 - Geek Pride Day
Help Thread
May 25th is Geek Pride Day!! Embrace your inner nerd by reading a book (fiction or non-fiction) that focuses on a STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) topic or that features a hero or heroine that would be considered a nerd, geek, or genius. Here are some lists and examples to get you started: Books with Nerdy, Geeky, or Genius Heroes and Heroines; Hackers; Medicine and Literature; Best Pop Science Books; Nerd Do Well; Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions; An Abundance of Katherines; Steve Jobs; The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook: A Tale of Sex, Money, Genius and Betrayal Required: If the connection is not obvious in the GR description, please explain how your book fits the task when you post.

15.10 - Where There's Smoke.......
Help Thread
Read a book (fiction or nonfiction) that features a firefighter, arsonist, or pyromanic or one in which a fire is central to the plot or subject matter in some way. Examples: The Smoke Jumper, Fahrenheit 451, Firestarter, The Book Of Fires, Count to Ten, Triangle, The Great Fire of London: In That Apocalyptic Year, 1666 Required: If the connection is not obvious in the GR description, please explain how your book fits the task when you post.

message 4: by Sandy (last edited Mar 12, 2012 05:57PM) (new)

20.1. Most Improved: Jen C's Task - Clean those shelves!
Help Thread
I live in a teeny house and have tried to keep my book collection to one large bookcase that my husband built to hold my textbooks when I was in college. It is filled to bursting with rows two books deep and another two rows stacked horizontally above those, for all 5 shelves. My philosophy has been if I can fit it (cram it) in that bookcase, I can buy it. I don’t keep books unless I really love them, and I need to clear some space! So for this season’s challenge I have decided I am only going to read books that I own or check out audiobooks, plus a few new releases, from the library - so I can buy more books, of course! Please join me in this task by choosing one of the following options:

1. Read any book that you own as of March 1. “Real” books, ebooks, audio downloads all work. If you have it, read it!

2. Listen to any audiobook.

3. Read any book first published in 2012. Advance copies are fine.

All general SRC rules, such as rules about ebook-only books, apply.

Required: Please indicate which option you chose in your post.

Task 20.2. Rookie on Top: Queenarwen's Task: April Showers
Help Thread
In honor of the old saying, “April showers bring May flowers,” choose one book from either of these two options. Fiction or non-fiction is fine.
REQUIRED: Indicate which option you chose.

A. April Showers: Choose a book that fits one of these criteria:

1. Is about a huge storm or a flood

2. Is included on one of these lists:
Books that Made You Cry or
Most Depressing Book of all Time
REQUIRED: Include in your post the list from which your book came, and tell us why you found this book sad.

3. Has a picture of rain or a storm on the front (doesn’t have to be a rainstorm)
REQUIRED: Include a link to the cover of the book.

B. May Flowers: Choose a book that fits one of these criteria:

1. Is about flowers or a garden

2. Is included on one of these lists:
Books That Make You Laugh or
Best Lighthearted Literature
REQUIRED: Include in your post the list from which your book came, and tell us why you found this book a happy one.

3. Has an author or a main character with the name of a flower. Examples: Iris Johansen, Rose Tremain, The Great Gatsby (Daisy Buchanan).

20.3. Best Review: Chris MD's Task - Fiery Tunes
< a href = "http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8..." > Help Thread

Adele’s “Set Fire to the Rain” has been burning up the charts, which got me thinking about how many song titles include the word “fire.” For this task, you will select a song with the word “fire” in the TITLE, and then read a book where any of the MAIN words from the song title also appear in the book’s title or subtitle (series titles are not allowed). Articles and short prepositions don’t count (in or on = not OK; through or below = OK). For example, if you use “Set Fire to the Rain,” you could read any book with "set," "fire" or "rain" in the title. The word must appear exactly as it does in the song title. (There is one exception: Saint for St. is OK.)

I have provided a list of the best known fire songs (that I could find) below. Words that can be used for this task are in caps. You may use another song title, BUT YOU MUST CLEAR IT FIRST IN THE HELP THREAD. (See post 2 in the help thread for other songs approved. Help Thread). This is the only list the mods will check to approve a completed task.

REQUIRED: Include the song title you used in your post.
CHARIOTS of FIRE
COLD FIRE
FEEL that FIRE
FIGHT FIRE with FIRE
FIRE and DESIRE
FIRE and ICE
FIRE and RAIN
FIRE BURNING
FIRE EATER
FIRE ESCAPE
FIRE in the HOLE
FIRE LAKE
FIRE on HIGH
FIRE on the MOUNTAIN
FIRE WOMAN
GREAT BALLS of FIRE
HEART on FIRE
I DON’T WANT to SET the WORLD on FIRE
I’M on FIRE
INSIDE the FIRE
JUMP into the FIRE
LAKE of FIRE
LIGHT MY FIRE
PAPER and FIRE
PLAY with FIRE
RING of FIRE
ST. ELMO’S FIRE (Saint is OK)
SET FIRE to the RAIN
SEX on FIRE
SET ME on FIRE
SET the WORLD on FIRE
SMOKE from a DISTANT FIRE
the FIRE DOWN BELOW
THROUGH the FIRE
WE DIDN’T START the FIRE

20.4. Author!Author!: Skandia's Task - To be continued .... in Spring!
Help Thread
I love series and lately it seems a lot of the books I read seems to be a part of some kind of trilogy or series.

For this task choose ONE book that is the next book in a series from which you read and claimed points for any task during the Winter Challenge 2011 -2012.

For example I read Three to Get Deadly by Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum series #3 ) for Winter Challenge task 30.5, so now I will read the next book in the series: Four to Score by Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum series #4).

If you didn't take part of the Winter Challenge or didn't read any books in a series during the Winter Challenge, you are free to start a new series with its first book.

A book must be identified as part of series by Goodreads (Series Name, #). A series will be defined as at least 2 published books with the same series name by Goodreads.

Required: Include the name of the book and series that you read during the Winter Challenge when you post.

20.5. Bigger is Better: Masanobu's Task - A Game of Books
Help Thread
Game of Thrones, the successful series adaptation of A Song of Ice and Fire (A Game of Thrones), is returning April 1st. I love the series and the books, so I wanted fellow SRC members to get acquainted with them - and spread the love!

Most characters from A Song of Ice and Fire live in Westeros and belong to a House. For this task you will roll one die to discover your House and read one book accordingly! Die Roller

GENERAL REQUIREMENTS: state what you rolled when posting and include a link to the cover if you choose one of the cover options. If the connection between the book and the option is not clear, please state how the book meets the requirements. If you happen to go with the title option for any option, no variations of the words are allowed.

1. Baratheon: their motto is “Ours is the fury” and their coat of arms is a black stag on a field of gold.
Read a book which has a predominantly black and gold/yellow cover OR the word ‘stag’ (‘deer’, ‘reindeer’ or ‘elk’ are valid too) in the title OR features royal characters. A royal character should be related to or have the status of a king or queen or member of their family.

2. Lannister: their motto is “Hear Me Roar!” and their coat of arms is a golden lion on a field of crimson.
Read a book which has a predominantly red and gold/yellow cover OR the word ‘lion’ in the title OR features a war OR is included in one of these lists about money and wealth: < a href = "http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/40..." >All That Glitters Is Gold, The Upper Classes.

3. Stark: their motto is “Winter Is Coming” and their coat of arms is a grey direwolf racing across a white field.
Read a book which has a predominantly white and grey cover OR the word ‘wolf’ in the title OR is set in winter.

4. Targaryen: their motto is “Fire and Blood” and their coat of arms is a red three-headed dragon on a black field.
Read a book which has a predominantly black and red cover OR the word ‘dragon’ in the title OR read a fantasy book.
REQUIRED: : if you choose to read a fantasy book, the main page genres must include fantasy.

5. Tully: their motto is “Family, Duty, Honor” and their coat of arms is a silver trout leaping on a blue and red striped field.
Read a book which has a predominantly red and blue cover OR the word 'fish' or the name of a fish in the title OR is about the army Or is a family saga. A family saga should follow generations of a family through a period of history. Ex. Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family, A Good American
These lists may give you some ideas: Best Family Sagas , Military Men As with all GR lists, not every book will necessarily fit the task.

6. Arryn: their motto is “As High as Honor” and their coat of arms is a sky-blue falcon soaring on a white moon, on a sky-blue field.
Read a book which has a predominantly white and blue cover OR the word ‘moon’ in the title OR read a thriller or mystery.
REQUIRED: if you choose to read a thriller or mystery book, the main page genres must include thriller or mystery.

message 5: by Sandy (last edited Mar 05, 2012 05:11AM) (new)

20.6. Seasoned Reader: Jennifer W’s task- She Works Hard for the Money
Help Thread
In May I will have been at my current job for 5 years! I haven’t always known I wanted to work in mental health and have changed my mind repeatedly about what I’ve wanted for a career. For this task, you get to read about the multitude of careers I’ve had or thought about having. Fiction or non-fiction is acceptable for all choices. As always, explain how your book fits if it’s not obvious from the goodreads’ book description.

Roll a die. Die Roller REQUIRED: State what you rolled when posting.

Select your book based on the following options:

1: Mental health. I’ve worked with people who have mental illnesses for 5 years. Read a book in which a character has a mental illness or is a mental health worker. Any of the "clickable" psychiatric disorders on this list will work: Psychiatric Disorders. For the purpose of this task, substance abuse, including alcoholism, autism and Asperger’s will NOT be considered mental illnesses. A character or book with those disorders may still work, but you will have to explain how the character/subject matter has a mental illness in addition to the above disorders. Examples: The Memory Palace, Lowboy, Wintergirls

2: Teacher. At one point, I wanted to be a high school teacher, but I wound up working for a while in outdoor education. Read a book in which an educational setting is important. The character may be a teacher or student and the setting need not be traditional (ex: home school, summer camp, etc.). Examples: The Abstinence Teacher, The Secret History, Hate List

3: Customer service/ first job. Like many people, I started out working customer service. Read a book about working in a customer service industry (Starbucks, Walmart, diner, etc.) OR a book where a character gets his/her first job (if it’s not obvious from the description, specify what the job is when posting). Examples: Hope Was Here, Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly, How Starbucks Saved My Life: A Son of Privilege Learns to Live Like Everyone Else

4: Wildlife biologist. I always wanted to travel the world and see amazing animals. Read a book about a WILD animal (not domesticated) or an animal biologist. Wild animals in captivity (zoos, circuses etc.) count. Examples: Water for Elephants, Moby-Dick, The Last Flight of the Scarlet Macaw: One Woman's Fight to Save the World's Most Beautiful Bird

5: Forensics. I’ve always loved a good mystery and thought about being a crime scene investigator. Read a book in which a character investigates a crime. Examples: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, Zodiac, The Poet

6: Author. When I’m not reading, I like to write. Maybe someday I’ll be a published author! Read a book in which a character is a writer, a book about being or becoming a writer, OR read a work of poetry (of at least 100 pages, books may be combined to reach 100 pages). Examples: The Thirteenth Tale, Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within, book:The Book Thief|19063]

20.7. Shorter is Sweeter: Jayalalita's Task - Happy Rama Navami!
< a href = "http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8..." >Help Thread
April 1st is the date of this year's Rama Navami, the celebration of the birth of Lord Rama, the hero of the legendary Indian epic, the Ramayana. In honor of this occasion, read a fiction or nonfiction book about or containing an aspect of myth, legend, folklore, fairy tale, or fable from any culture or part of the world you would like to learn more about. Books of short stories with a mythic slant, fairy tale retellings, and general nonfiction books on mythology or folklore work as well.

For example: Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente retells the Slavic tale of Koschei the Deathless. The Fox Woman by Kij Johnson is based around the kitsune legends of Japan. The Welsh Fairy Book is a collection of Welsh folklore. Ramayana is an ancient epic from India. The Green Man: Tales from the Mythic Forest is a compilation of stories about the Green Man.

For a list of mythology and retellings lists, click here. List of Mythology Lists Keep in mind when using Goodreads lists is that not all books will fit the task.
Optional: Tell us what myth or legend your book is inspired by, and where it originates in the world.

20.8. It's My Birthday: Mary Beth's Task - Party Time!
Help Thread
My birthday is in March, and I tend to have two very distinct styles of celebrating. I either go out for a large meal with a huge group of friends, or I do something small and indulgent with one or two friends. So, for this task, celebrate in the style of your choice. Read either a book with more than 50,000 ratings on Goodreads or a book with fewer than 500 ratings on Goodreads. The ratings shown on the book's main page must be used. REQUIRED: Include in your post the number of ratings that the book had when you selected it.

20.9 Lucky Me!: Bea's Task - I Can’t Wait for Spring!
Help Thread
I love springtime! After a bleak, dark, dreary winter season, I start looking for signs that spring is on the way: the first robin, the first leaves of the crocuses and tulips peaking through the ground, the slight opening at the hint of warmth of the rhododendron and forsythia buds, and the warmth of a longer day. Spring brings hope and anticipation and lures me outside. I even enjoy and welcome the first warm, gentle rain which melts the snow and gives drink to the newly growing plants. And, I love the colors of spring as the flowers and plants wake and open, bringing new color to our yard.

This task is to honor that special time. You will read ONE book. Series titles may be used. REQUIRED: Post which option you chose.

1. BIRD: Read a book that has either a bird(s) on the cover or the name of a bird in the title.
REQUIRED: If you choose the cover option, include a link to the cover.
These lists might help:
The Birds
Birds in the Title

As always, not all books on a GR list will necessarily fit the task.

2. FLOWER: Read a book that has either a flower(s) or a flowering plant on the cover. REQUIRED: Post a link to the cover of the book
These lists might help:
Flowers on Covers
Flower Covers
As always, not all books on a GR list will necessarily fit the task.

3. SPRING WORDS: Read a book with a title that contains one of these words – sun, day, rain, gentle, warm, flower, bird, or any of the color words listed in option 4. Plurals are acceptable. Compound words containing one of these words, such as sunshine or daytime or sunbird are okay. (Note: a compound word is one in which each of the parts of the word is a separate word on its own)

4. COLORS: Read a book with the main cover color of yellow, red, orange, pink, salmon, apricot, purple, lilac, green or cream.
REQUIRED: Post a link to the cover of the book.

5. SPRING: Using the word “springtime,” read a book whose author’s first and last initials are found in the word. The initials must be consecutive, but can be forward or backward. Examples: Neil Gaiman with consecutive initials forward, and Robert B Parker, with consecutive first and last initials backward.

20.10 Group Reads
Read one of the Group Reads selections, and make at least one post in the discussion thread for the book.

A. Published in the Twenty-Teens: The Night Circus
The discussion thread is here: The Night Circus discussion

B. YA Dystopian: Divergent
The discussion thread is here: Divergent discussion

C. Short Stories/Anthology: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
The discussion thread is here. Sherlock Holmes discussion

message 6: by Sandy (last edited Mar 12, 2012 06:02PM) (new)

25.1. Jessica PDX’s Task: This One Goes Out to the One I Love
Help Thread
My music-loving husband’s birthday is in May, and it just so happens that this is the year that two of the songs by The Smashing Pumpkins (one of his favorite bands) have a nifty numerical connection to his birth year and age. To celebrate, you’ll read two books, one for each song. And in deference to his reading tastes, at least one of the books you read must be non-fiction - the other can be fiction or non-fiction.

Book A: “1979” - Read a book first published in 1979 or by an author born in 1979 or choose a book whose title shares a word of at least 5 letters with this song’s lyrics:
REQUIRED: if you use a word from the lyrics of the song, indicate in your post which line of the song the word is found on.

Book B: “Thirty-Three” - Read a book with a total of 33 letters in the title and the author’s name combined OR choose a book whose title shares a word of at least 5 letters with this song’s lyrics:
REQUIRED: if you use a word from the lyrics of the song, indicate in your post which line of the song the word is found on.
For both options, if you use a word from the lyrics of the song, plurals, possessives, and changes in verb tense are OK; no other modifications.

When determining the letter count for a title or an author’s name, use the spelling as it appears on the Goodreads page for the edition you read. You may include or exclude subtitles or co-authors, but you may not include series names. Punctuation marks do not count, numerals do.

REQUIRED: Note which option you chose for each book when you post.

Examples – for option 1, you could read the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy(published in 1979), or a book written by Catherynne M. Valente (born in 1979) or Liar's Poker: Rising Through the Wreckage on Wall Street (“street” is in the second line of the lyrics to “1979”.

For option 2, you could read The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein (23 letters in title, plus 10 in author's name = 33)
or The Language of Flowers(“language” is in the first line of the lyrics to “33”).

25.2. Jenn Renee's task:Out with the Old, In with the New... and it's Fire
Help Thread
Spring to me is a time where the old is replaced with the new, whether by spring cleaning or new flowers growing. Spring brings SRC in a new theme of Fire. Since the spring is a time for something new, the books you read for this task cannot be re-reads. In the spirt of the task, you are encouraged to choose at least one book by an author who is new to you.

Choose from the option below. You can use the same one twice or pick two different options. REQUIRED: Post the option(s) you chose.

1. Read a book whose author's first or last name starts with the letters F,I,R,E
2. Read a book with a red, yellow, or orange cover. At least half the book cover has to be one of these colors. REQUIRED: Post a link to the cover of the book
3. Read a book with the words, Flame, Fire, Blaze, Smoke, Hot, Burn, or Scorch in the title or subtitle. Plurals and variations ending in ED or ING are ok but not compounds.
4. Read a book that has a flame of any kind on the cover. REQUIRED: Post a link to the cover of the book

25.3. Coralie's task: Naming Things
Help Thread
Read two books.
Book 1 must have a name in the title or a word that you could use for a name.
Book 2 must be written by an author with that name. It can be the first, last or middle name of the author but the first book must have the entire name in the title. The word and the name must match exactly. The only variations allowed are possessives.

For example you could read The Magician King and a book by Stephen King or you could read Sophie's Choice and a book by Sophie Kinsella.

25.4. Sandy's task:More Fun with Words - With a Twist!
Help Thread
We enjoyed (or at least I did!) making anagrams with the initial letters of book titles last times - so we're going to do it again, with an added twist.

Book 1 - read any book you like with at least 4 words in the title. You must make a word that is at least 4 letters long, using the first letters of the words in the title. You need not use all of the letters – 4 or more. Titles and subtitles may be used.

Book 2 - read a book that has your anagram from part 1 in its title. Titles and subtitles may be used.
The book title must contain the word from the first part exactly, no variations.

Example: Suppose for Book 1, I read Garner on Language and Writing: Selected Essays and Speeches of Bryan A. Garner. I can see many words I could make – among them glow, goals, laws, glass. So, for book 2 I could read After Glow, Avoiding Prison and Other Noble Vacation Goals: Adventures in Love and Danger, The Laws of Our Fathers, City of Glass.

Or I could start by reading In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin. I could make the words half, loaf, flat, among others.
So, for my second book, I could read Half Broke Horses, Dial M For Meat Loaf, The Earth Hums in B Flat

REQUIRED: specify the word you made from the title of your first book.

25.5. Laurie ME's Task: 100 Years Ago
Help Thread
100 years ago in April,two events happened, one overshadowing the other, but they both are of real interest to me. One was the sinking of the RMS Titanic. The other was the opening of Fenway Park in Boston.

Book 1: Read a fiction or non fiction book about the sinking of a luxury liner or other ship. It could be about the Titanic or another luxury liner (the Lusitania or Andrea Doria for example) or about a battle ship or aircraft carrier (the HMS Hood or the Bismark come to mind) for nonfiction subjects. These lists may gave you some ideas: Maritime Disasters, Great Lakes Storms and Shipwrecks Keep in mind the usual caveat about Goodreads lists - not all books will work for the task.
Fiction examples are The Secret Adversary or Three Fates, in which the sinking of the Lusitania is the event that starts the book and has meaning to the story, but the story takes place elsewhere and after. Another fiction example is The Poseidon Adventure.
REQUIRED: If the connection is not obvious, please explain the connection of your book to the sinking of a ship.

Book 2: Read a fiction or nonfiction book about baseball. Baseball should be an integal part of the story. For non fiction a few examples are: Ball Four, Umpire Strikes Back or Faithful: Two Diehard Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle the Historic 2004 Season. Some fiction examples are The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Squeeze Play, Slow Heat.
This list may give you more ideas, although not every book on the list may work for this task. Best Baseball books

25.6. Keltie Lee's Task: Fire and Ice
Help Thread
"Fire and Ice" by Robert Frost is one of my favorite poems. It discusses the end of the world, likening the elemental force of fire to the emotion of desire, and ice to hate.
In this task flip a coin twice and read two books according to your flips. Coin Flipper
REQUIRED: Include the results of your coin flip in your post.

For book 1

Heads: read a book that has the word fire or ice in the title or subtitle (no series titles). Plural and possessives are OK, no other variants are acceptable.

Tails: read a book that has the word desire or hate in the title or subtitle (no series titles). Plural and possessives are OK, no other variants are acceptable.

For book 2

Heads: read a book written by an author with the name Robert. Can be a first name, middle name or Robert can appear intact within the last name eg. Roberts, Robertson

Tails: read a novel that takes place at the end of the world. Any book shelved as dystopia, apocalyptic, or post-apocalyptic on its main GRs page will work

message 7: by Sandy (last edited Mar 12, 2012 08:23PM) (new)

25.7. Mstan's Task: Cooking With Fire and Back to the Basics
Help Thread
I love food! Without fire, I think our culinary adventures would be so much more limited... The aim of this task is to have fun finding out about how food can be prepared (with or without heat).

Book 1 - Read a book with the title containing the name of a dish that is normally/can be presented in a cooked (with heat/fire - steamed, fried, sauteed, baked...) form OR a book with a cover containing the image of such a dish.

For the title option, a NOUN reflecting the 'cooked' part of the name of the dish must be used. I will accept Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal ('rack of lamb') or Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, but not a title with the word 'cow' in it (we don't normally name our dishes 'cow'...) or a title with the word 'fried' in it (as 'fried' is an adjective, not a noun).

REQUIRED: For the cover sub-option, please post a link to the cover image. If the food is of an ambiguous nature (e.g. something that might either be a hard-boiled egg or raw egg, please post in the help thread and I will probably approve it for either option).

Book 2 - Read a book containing the name of a type of food that need not be cooked to be enjoyed. This may or may not go with the first 'dish' you chose (I won't judge you if you choose to eat a slice of cake for Book 1 and lettuce for Book 2). Here, you also have the sub-option of reading a book with a cover featuring such a type of food instead. Most fruit and many kinds of vegetables would work here, e.g. Slice  Juicy Moments from My Impossible Life by Steven Herrick (mostly-eaten watermelon).

REQUIRED: For the cover sub-option, please post a link to the cover image.

Note: I will not accept generic words such as 'food', 'meat' or 'salad' for either option. Seasonings and spices will not be accepted either. If the dish you choose contains both raw and cooked ingredients and I can't tell which is which on the cover image (e.g. sushi), please see the 'required' field below for guidance - the requirement should cover this.

Required: Name the dish where the name of the food might appear (e.g. 'fish and chips') and/or explain in your post how the food is usually cooked or eaten if this is not clear/there is no corresponding dish name (e.g. 'I like to eat raw baby carrots as a snack' or 'This is sushi, which contains both cooked rice and raw cucumber. I'd like to use it for Option 1 (or 2).').

Useful lists:
Food in Book Titles
Food on the Cover
Mmmm....Food on the Cover

Please keep in mind that not all books on these lists may fit the task.

25.8. Helen's Task: Science Fiction and Fantasy Award Winners/Nominees
Help Thread
For the spring challenge, I want to share award winners/nominees from two of my favorite genre's: Science Fiction and Fantasy. For this task, select an award winner or nominee book from each of the following categories. REQUIRED: Post the name of the book, the author, the year and whether the book was the award winner or nominee.

Category 1: HUGO AWARD for Best Novel -- awarded yearly by the World Science Fiction Society. "Retro Hugos" are included.
Hugo Awards
Category 2: NEBULA AWARD for Best Novel -- awarded yearly by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America. Nebula Awards

Sci/Fi and Fantasy deal with the supernatural and magic. For this task, you can acquire some of that magic with a little research. A few of the books are listed on both lists. If you read one of those, you can use the same book for both categories -- magically turning two into one. However, you must list the book twice and provide the pertinent information for each category.

25.9. Stacie MI's Task: Red Hot
Help Thread
Hockey is one of my passions and my favorite team, the Detroit Red Wings is just on fire this year! They recently set the NHL record for consecutive home games won in a single season with an astonishing 23 wins. To honor my favorite sport and my favorite team, you will read two books. Each book must be from a different option.
Required: Please state the options you used when you post.

Option A: In honor of the new record, read a book with a 2 and a 3 in the page total.
Required: State the number of pages in your book when you post. If the edition you read does not have pages listed on Goodreads because of the recent data changes, please provide a link to an outside source showing the page numbers.

Option B: To bring my team luck on their next run for the Stanley Cup, read a book that was originally published in a year that the Detroit Red Wings won the Stanley Cup (1936, 1937, 1943, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1955, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2008). The years are also listed at the top of this page: Stanley Cups

Required: State the publication year when you post.

Option C: To honor all hockey teams, go to the following page and pick a team: NHL Teams
Read a book with your team’s name in the title or subtitle. Plurals, possessives, and variants are okay.
OR
Read a book that takes is set in the state or Canadian province that your choice team hails from.
Ex: Blue Bloods("Blue" in title), Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
(set in New York), The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America ("Devil" in the title)
Required: When using the setting option, if it is not obvious from the Goodreads description, please explain how your book fits the task.

25.10. Mrs. Soule's Task:I love a happy ending!
Help Thread
I love romance novels (like you haven’t heard that from me before!), mainly because when I pick one up I’m assured of a happy ending that will leave me smiling and ready to face the real world. In the past few months, well-meaning friends and family bombarded me with all the reasons I shouldn’t read romance novels, which helped me reflect on all the many and wonderful reasons I’ll keep right on reading them. For this challenge reflect on your feelings in this great debate, and choose your book options accordingly. To keep it all fun and friendly, I’ve attached a Winnie-the-Pooh character to each option. Of course, I made cuddly, comforting Winnie-the-Pooh represent the romance readers (cuz I can cuz it’s my task!).

Option A:
Winnie-the-Pooh - If you love romance novels too, you’re in luck! Read any two romance novels. “Romance” must be in the genre list of the book’s main page.

Option B:
If you aren’t a great lover of romance novels, read 2 books from the characters/options below (you may use the same option twice, or read books from two different character options):

1. Piglet - Haven’t tried ‘em: Read a romance novel recommended to you (on or off Goodreads) that you’re willing to give a go. “Romance” must be in the genre list of the book’s main page. Optional: Let us know how you liked it!

2. Eeyore - A happy ending is unrealistic: Fine, be that way, Eeyore! Read a dark & heavy book from one of the following lists:
Quality Dark Fiction
Darkest Books of All Time
Best Gothic Books of all Time
REQUIRED: When you post, tell us which list your book came from.

3. Owl – I prefer real literature: Nurture your inner book snob and read a book from one of the following lists:
1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die
Books That Everyone Should Read At Least Once
REQUIRED: When you post, tell us which list your book came from.

4. Rabbit, or possibly Kanga if you prefer :-) – Romance novels are unedifying and/or dirty: I respect your values and so do plenty of romance authors! Read any book with “Christian”, “Religious”, or “Inspirational” listed as a genre on the book’s main page OR branch out but stay in the same tree and try a book from this list:
CLEAN Romance Books

5. Tigger – I’m having too much fun with all the books in my to-read list to add another genre: OMG, scratch some books off that list now! Read any book from your to-read list that was added before March 1, 2012. One more limiter for this option: Romance CANNOT be listed as a genre on your book’s main page.

6. Roo – I’m too young/innocent for romance novels: Read any book with Young Adult listed as a genre on the book’s main page.

REQUIRED: When you post, state which option you’re using.

message 8: by Sandy (last edited Mar 04, 2012 10:17AM) (new)

25.11. Kate S's Task: Take to the Links!
Help Thread
One of my husband's and my favorite activities is golfing. We have to take a break each year during the winter, but come spring we dust off our clubs and take to the links! I am inviting you to join us by reading two books representing two different types of clubs from our bags:

1. The Driver-usually used at the beginning of any given hole, read a book with a great beginning from one of the following lists:
Best Beginnings or
Best Beginning of a Novel

REQUIRED: State which list your book was on.

2. The Woods-designed for long fairway shots; rarely made of wood any longer and therefore becoming a "classical" term and/or club. Read a book from this list: Must Read Classics

3. The Irons-the most popular, most often used of the clubs, read a book with more than 25000 ratings. The number of ratings shown on the book's main page must be used. REQUIRED: Include in your post the number of ratings that the book had when you selected it.

4. The Wedge-my favorite club, used in many different tricky situations. My wedge is my utility club and most dependable. Re-read an old favorite or a new book by an favorite author.

5. The Putter-used for the "short game". Read a short book (100-200 pages) REQUIRED: Include in your post the number of pages in the book.

REQUIRED: Please let us know which clubs you choose to use!

Task 25.12: Denise NC’s Task: Easter Eggs and Leprechauns
Help Thread
Easter and St. Patrick’s Day are two of my favorite spring holidays because we have such long standing family traditions for each holiday. For this task, you will read two books.

Book A – Easter Eggs: When I was young, we only had one kind of egg dying kit and they always resulted in the same color eggs no matter how long we let them stay in the dye. These days there are many different options for our kids to choose from, so read a book that fits one of the Easter Egg options below.

Option 1 – Pastels: Read a book with a primarily pink cover.

Option 2 – Tie Dye: Read a book originally published in the 1960’s when tie dye first became popular in the US.

Option 3 – Sparkly: Read a book featuring a woman as the main character because I think all of us girls have a bit of sparkle.

Option 4 – Stickers: Read a Young Adult book, even though I think you are never too old for stickers.

Book B – Leprechauns: I’m not Irish, but my two boys set Leprechaun traps every year in hopes of capturing him and finding out where he keeps his pot of gold. Each year, they receive a note from the Leprechaun encouraging them to try again next year because they came so close. Read a book that fits one of the Leprechaun inspired options below.

Option 1 – Green: Read a book with a primarily green cover.

Option 2 – Four Leaf Clover: Read an Action / Adventure book since most books of this genre seem to have a large amount of luck involved.

Option 3 – Mischief: Read a mystery book to help you hone your skills to track down the mischievous leprechaun.

Option 4 – Pot o’ Gold: Read a book from a friend’s bookshelf that they rated 5 stars.

REQUIRED: For options that specify cover requirements, please include a link to the cover in your post. For options that specify a specific genre, the genre must be on the main page on Goodreads for the book. For options that specify a friend’s bookshelf, please include the name of the friend whose bookshelf you used in your post.

message 9: by Sandy (last edited Mar 12, 2012 06:06PM) (new)

30 point tasks

30.1 Ms. Anderson's Task: We Didn't Start the Fire
Help Thread
This is one of my all-time favorite Billy Joel songs, and in honor of it, I give you your task:

A. Go to this page - We Didn't Start the Fire - and pick ANY year with events on the list, from 1949-1989. Choose wisely--you may NOT change your year after you roll the die!

B. Roll two die to determine what books you'll read. If you roll doubles, both books must fit the same rule. Dice Roller

1. Read a book about a person/place/thing/event directly related to the person/place/event/thing mentioned in your year.
Person: Must be primary character (fiction) or main focus (nonfiction)
Event: Must be main focus
Thing: Must be main focus
Place: Must be primary setting AND take place during the year (so you can't just read a book about the history of Hungary for "Budapest")

2. Read a book by an author born during your year

3. Read a book by an author who died during your year

4. Read a book first published during your year

5. Read a book that won an award during your year

6. Read a book about a person/place/thing/event from your year

Yes, I know 1 and 6 are the same--the flame just keeps burning on!

Required: When posting, make sure you tell us what year you chose, what numbers you rolled, and any relevant information (such as author's birth/death dates, award won, and so on).

30.2 Sassafrass's task: “What I want to be” meets “What did I become”...
Help Thread

My five year old daughter and the rest of her Pre-K class had to draw pictures or write about what they wanted to be when they grew up. It was very cute looking at all of their hard work and seeing the different careers these imaginative kids envisioned themselves pursuing when they grow up.

The project got me thinking about when I was a kid. There were times when I wanted to be a ballerina, an astronaut, an inventor, and even a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader. But after having a pretty scary eye injury in the sixth grade, I decided that I wanted to be a doctor.

Fast forward 25 years, and I think about how differently life turned out but there are also some similarities there. What about you?

For this task, you will read two books:

Book 1: Read a book (it can be either fiction or non-fiction) that has as a central character a character/person who has the job--or one of the jobs--that you thought you wanted to have when you were growing up.
REQUIRED: state what you wanted to be when you grew up and if not clear from the book description, please explain how your book fits the task.

Book 2: Read a book (it can be either fiction or non-fiction) that that has as a central character a character/person who has the job/career that you have now or that you were trained to do.
***Special exceptions***
1. If you are a Stay-at-home-Mom or Dad--you can have your occupation to be a SAHM or SAHD and read about someone who does/did that or you can use the occupation you had prior to becoming a parent.
2. If you are a retiree--you can read about someone who is retired or use your occupation prior to retirement.
3. If you are a young person who hasn’t had a job or career yet, use the occupation that you are most seriously considering at this stage in your life.
REQUIRED: state what you have “become” and if not clear from the book description, please explain how your book fits the task.

Note: If your childhood dream and your adult occupation is the same, you may read two different books with characters/people doing the same type of occupation, just make sure you note that when you post.

Optional: Tell us if your life is different or similar to how your “kid” self envisioned it.

30.3 Sheila/Kathy G's task: Spring Delights
Help Thread
Read two books from the following options (must choose different options for the two books):

1. Photo Op- Spring is a beautiful time to take pictures. Read a book with an actual photo(s) or film on the cover. This can include framed pictures, photos in a scrapbook, or even photos in lockets. The cover should show that this is a photo (that is, there must be edges, a frame, etc. showing)
REQUIRED: Post a link to the book cover

2. Spring Thing- Read a book set in a spring month, first published in a spring month, or the author was born in a spring month. (March, April, or May)
REQUIRED: Include information about the setting of the book in a spring month, or the author's birthdate. If this is not obvious from the Goodreads main page of the book, please post a reference showing the first publication date or author’s birthday, or explain how your book is set in a spring month.

3. Luck O’ the Irish- Read a book with a green cover, or set in Ireland, or by an author born in Ireland.
REQUIRED: Post cover for cover option, or provide a reference to the setting or author’s birth place, if it's not clearly obvious from the GR information.

4. Tulips- Read a book showing two people on the cover (with two lips), or tulips on the cover.
The people need not be photographs - an illustration or a "cartoony" picture will work - but no animals, vegetables, smiley faces, etc., even if they are drawn with facial features. If two people are kissing, I will accept that as “two lips”, otherwise the two people must be showing their lips. Side views okay, if I can see half of their lips.
REQUIRED: Post a link to the cover

5. Spring in German is “der Frühling”- Using 2 consecutive letters in "derFruhling" choose a book where those letters appear in the same order in the words of the title and/or subtitle or the author's name" A series name cannot be used.
(Examples: The Red Scarf (using “rf”) and Lisa See (using “Li”.)
REQUIRED: Post the two letters you used in your title or author’s name.

6. Spring in Your Step- Read a book that is “scary” and makes you jump--- Murder mysteries, ghosts, anything that is creepy enough to qualify will fit this category. Natural and man-made disasters will work like volcano eruptions, tornados, earthquakes, wars, and bombings. Check with me for approval if you are unsure.
REQUIRED: Explain how your book is “scary” and makes you jump.

30.4 Dlmrose's task: Burning Ring of Fire
Help Thread
Read 2 books, one from each of the following options:

Book 1: The Ring of Fire is an area encircling the Pacific Ocean basin with high volcanic and seismic activity.

Read a book set in a country located in the Ring of Fire: Antarctica, Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Colombia, Chile, Costa Rica, Ecuador, East Timor, El Salvador, Micronesia, Fiji, Guatemala, Honduras, Indonesia, Japan, Kiribati, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Russia, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu
Or In the US states- Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California; in Canadian provinces/territories- British Columbia, Yukon.

This resource may help: Books Set In
Required: Please identify the setting if it is not clear in the Goodreads book description.

Book 2: Read a book with "ING" found intact in any word in the title or subtitle. ex. Sing You Home, Burning Bright, The Meeting Place, The Art Of Hearing Heartbeats

30.5 Donna Jo's task: Climbing the Family Tree
Help Thread
Being interested in Genealogy, I have set a choice of tasks using both my family tree and yours. Be sure and check each option you use for Required posting information. If you are adopted, you may use information from either your birth family or your adoptive family.

Please choose two of the following options and read one book from each. REQUIRED: State which options you chose when posting.

A. My parents were married on Easter Sunday, April 13, 1941. Read a book with the word Easter, Sunday, April, or wedding in the title or a book with "romance" listed as one of the genres on the book's main page. Examples: The Statues that Walked: Unraveling the Mystery of Easter Island, The Sunday Philosophy Club, April Morning

There are numerous lists of romance books - Romance lists - that may help you. If using a GR list double check that your book actually fits the task.

B. My siblings and I were born in the 1940’s and 50’s. Read a book first published between 1940 and 1959. Required: State first publication year when posting.

To help you get started: Popular 1940 books, Popular 1950 books
NOTE: these lists are examples for the years 1940 and 1950 - your book can be published in any year in the 1940's or 1950's. As with all GR lists, be sure the book you choose actually fits the task requirements.

C. Using YOUR grandparent’s first names (no nicknames), read a book whose author has the exact same first name. Required: State relationship—mother’s father, mother’s mother, father’s mother, father’s father—and first name.
Example: My grandparents were Thomas and Anna, Cora and Ralph. I could read books by Cora Harrison or Ralph A. Bellas, but NOT by Anya Seton or Tom Robbins.

D. Most people have eight great-grandparents. Read a book with the word eight in the title OR with eight words in the title OR read book eight in a series. If you are using the title words you may not use hyphenated words, compound words, derivatives (not eighty-eight or eighteen), nor numerals. Required: If reading a series book, post the series title.
Example: Eight Cousins, Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter, Lavender Lies (China Bayles #8)

message 10: by Sandy (last edited Mar 04, 2012 05:37AM) (new)

30 point tasks (continued)

30.6 Delicious Dee's task:Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction
Help Thread
Often when I’m reading various fiction books, I wonder, did that really happen? What was it really like during this time period, and often I end up picking up various non-fiction books trying to see how much the author stuck to the truth or how much was it embellished. There are even times when I pick up a book and think, wow, I never knew about this, I would love to know more about it.

For this time, you will read 2 books. Both books must be from the same option (A or B):

Option A
If you choose this option, you will read one fiction book and one non-fiction book.
1. Pick a fiction book of your choice
2. Read a non-fiction book that in some way relates to the book you read for part 1. REQUIRED: In your post, explain the connection between the two books.
For example, I could read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
and within it, there is a sub-story of survivors of the Dresden Firebombing during WW2, so I could read Firestorm: The Bombing of Dresden 1945 to understand more about what happened during that event.

Option B
If you choose this option you will read two non-fiction books.

Identify 2 novels (works of fiction) that you are reading for other tasks in the Spring Challenge that have an event or subject that you would like to know more about and read a non-fiction book for each of them that explores those events or subjects.
REQUIRED: You must state the fiction books you read and the task(s) you read them for in your post and explain the connection to the non-fiction books you read for this task.

For example, if I read The Submission and The Gargoyle
during this challenge, I could read a book about Muslims in America post 9/11 such as Silent Victims: The Plight of Arab & Muslim Americans in Post 9/11 America, and a book about what happens when someone is traumatically burned, I could read Burn Unit: Saving Lives After the Flames

30.7 Beth NC's task FIRE ELEMENTALS
Help Thread
Choose 2 of the following options and read one book from each. REQUIRED: Please indicate which options you chose.
1. Fire element's nature is to change the structure of whatever it touches into new state of being. Read a Paranormal /Urban Fantasy book where someone is transformed into a “new structure” ie vampire/angel/shapeshifter. REQUIRED – indicate in your post the character who is transformed, what s/he transformed from and what s/he transformed into.

2. Fire is at the very heart of transformation, clearing the old and making something new Read a book where the main character cleanses something from his/her life and begins a new stage in their life ie. divorce, move, job change, letting go of anger/sorrow. REQUIRED – explain what was cleansed/let go of.

3. “Lighting a Fire under someone” means to motivate or push them. Read a book that motivates you to do something you have been putting off. (This can be a fiction or nonfiction book) REQUIRED – State what you were motivated to do

4. Some of the emotions associated with fire are: passion, sexual energy, love and lust. Read a romance book – one with “romance” listed as a genre on the book’s main page.

5. Animals associated with the element of fire are - lion, snake, dragon, eagle, horse, phoenix Read a book which features one of these animals in the story or has one on the cover. REQUIRED - post a link to the cover or state the animal featured.

6. In Chinese astrology anyone who was born in a year ending in 6 is born under Yang Fire and anyone who was born in a year ending in a 7 was born under Yin Fire. Read a book where the number of pages ends in a 6 or a 7. REQUIRED: State the number of pages in the book you read. If the edition you read does not have the pages listed on Goodreads, please link to an outside source for the page numbers.

30.8 Meghanly's task: The Breakfast Club
Help Thread
The Breakfast Club is my absolute favorite 80s movie… if you haven’t seen it, watch it and you will understand why the following characters are so important!
You will choose two different options below. Read one book from each of your chosen options. REQUIRED: Indicate the options you choose on your post.

1. The Brain: Read a “Big Book” (500 pages or more). Any big book will do, as long as the edition you read is over 500 pages! Required: Link to the edition you read that indicates 500 pages or more. If you are using an audiobook or an ebook for this task, please refer to the general SRC rules on determining page numbers for these forms. Rules of the Challenge

2. The Jock: Read a nonfiction book featuring a sport or athlete. Biographies are acceptable.

3. The Basket Case: It makes me a BASKET CASE sometimes trying to keep up with multiple GR groups and challenges! Read a “Currently Reading” book choice for a group you are a part of on Goodreads. It can be a “Currently Reading” book for the SRC or any other group of which you are a member. The book must be listed as 'currently reading' during any of the 3 months of this challenge (March-May). REQUIRED: indicate the group name when you post.

4.The Princess: Read a book that has won the Printz Award or is a Printz Honor book. REQUIRED: indicate the year the book was honored when you post.

5. The Criminal: Beg, borrow or steal - read a book that isn’t yours! It can be borrowed from a friend, the library, the Kindle lending library, etc. REQUIRED: indicate how you got your book.

message 11: by Sandy (last edited Apr 18, 2012 04:39AM) (new)

50 point task

50.1. Cindy AL's Task: North to Alaska

I've been reading like a fiend, trying to finish the Spring Challenge because my husband, a couple of friends and me are all headed north at the end of May for a 2 week Alaska cruisetour. Celebrate with us and ride along on our Alaskan adventure.

For this task you will read 3 books. Pick from the following options - you can only use each option once.

Options:

1) First a little history: Alaska was settled by native peoples 10000+ years ago when hunters began crossing the Bering Strait Land Bridge from Asia. The Aleuts called the land their ancestors had found alaxsxaq which Europeans spelled Alyeska and later Alaska. We may know it better as Seward's Folly. Use these names to find the initials of your author. Read a book whose author's initials are in these letters: BERINGSTRAIT, SEWARDSFOLLY. The initials can appear in any order. If the author uses three or more names, all the initials must be found in these words - the author's "official" name on Goodreads must be used. Robert Louis Stevenson would work, but Orson Scott Card would not.

2) We've been reading a lot of books about Alaska and watching some movies and a few Northern Exposure episodes. One of my favorite Alaska movies is an old Russell Crowe film called Mystery, Alaska. In honor of this movie, read a mystery. Required: mystery must be listed as a genre on the book's main Goodreads page.

3) No free publicity for the cruise line we are travelling on, BUT, some of their ships have names of gems in their ships' names. Pick one of the gemstones and read a book with a cover that is the corresponding color on the following list. Required: the cover must be predominantly that one color and you must post a link to the cover.

Ruby = red cover
Sapphire = blue cover
Diamond = white cover
Emerald - green cover
Golden = yellow cover

4) We are going to cover a lot of territory and take a LOT of outdoorsy excursions. Using the following list of words from the excursions we are taking, read a book with one of the words in the title: mountain, hike, zip, line, wild, life, whale, watch, white, water, airplane/plane, rail, road, sled, dog, snow, glacier, BEAR! Plurals and possessives are OK, no compound words or other variations.

5) Whew! I'm tired after all that exertion...errr excursion, let's do some of the fun, girly things on the ship! What will it be, hhmm? The spa, the hot tub, the midnight buffet? I know, let's sit on the deck with our favorite beverage and read a book from your favorite genre. Required: tell what the genre is when you post - it must be listed on the book's main Goodreads page and must have been listed as that genre by more than 10 other people.

6) Oh, I almost forgot to tell you to read about Alaska for yourself! Read a book set in Alaska or written by an Alaskan author. REQUIRED: explain the connection to Alaska if it is not obvious from the title or GR description. These lists may help, with the usual caveats about Listopia lists:
Alaska Tales
Best Books That Have Alaska In It
Historical Romances with an Alaska Setting

Enjoy!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.