Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Welcome > Welcome to Jim (of Kentucky)

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 13580 comments I'm happy to welcome Jim as a new member of our group. Below is a link to his profile:
http://www.goodreads.com/profile/JimM...

Jim's profile indicates the following status:
Goodreads librarian
#47 top reviewers
#17 best reviewers
#26 top users

Thanks for joining our group, Jim. We're lucky to have you.

I notice that you ride horses. How many do you have. Can you tell us something about them? Last year I met a lady who owned a horse. She took me to the stable where she boarded him. It was a whole new world for me. I've often wondered how horses compare to dogs as pets. Dogs react immediately to their owners' every move. How do horses show their excitement and satisfaction when their owners give them attention?

I'm going to start a new topic in our non-book related section here. Perhaps we'll get some answers.

Best wishes,
Joy

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 4739 comments Thanks for the invite & the welcome, Joy. I answered about the horses in another topic.

I was farm born & raised. I now own a small one of my own. I was a remodeler for 15 years & when an injury to my arm required I stop that, I got into computers. I am the IT Department for a small manufacturing company.

My hobbies are woodworking & reading. I like to take firewood & turn it into bowls, mostly. When I started doing that, I realized I knew nothing about trees, so another hobby is identifying trees. We have 5 acres of woods which I've cut paths through & I've tagged most of the various species of trees & bushes with their common & Latin names.

My wife of 26 years, Margaret, & I have pretty much raised 3 kids - 2 boys & a girl. The oldest is a boy of 26 & the youngest is the girl who is 19 & in her first year of college. We also have 3 Jack Russell dogs & my daughter has a Australian Shepard mix. We have 3 Thoroughbred ex-race horses & a Welsh pony, too.

We feed a lot of birds, but no longer have one in the house. No more cats, rats, mice, rabbits, snakes, lizards, fish, chickens, ducks, peacocks or anything either. No sheep, goats or cattle, either. We've simplified now that the kids are older & got rid of the zoo. There still seems to be plenty to do, though.

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell & I'm happy to be here. (Probably more nut than shell...)  ;-)

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Dec 03, 2008 09:38AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 13580 comments What an interesting background you have, Jim. Being a city girl, I don't know much about farms, except that the rolling farm hills of Pennsylvania in the Lancaster area have remained in my memory from when we toured there. I had always thought that nothing could beat the spaciousness and openness of water... lakes and oceans... but after seeing the beautiful farm land in PA, I realized that there are other beautiful sources of peace and tranquillity.

Sounds like a beautiful family you have there, Jim, and a busy one too!

Alas, I had to stop feeding the birds when I realized the seeds were attracting the mice who proceeded to store the seeds in my slippers and bureau drawers. Now we have a heated bird bath for them. What fun to watch a bird take a bath and sip water.

I've replied to your great post about horses at the other topic.
See the topic at the following link: ===>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group

unread topics | mark unread