Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Cozy Q & A > Has a cozy gotten you to try something new?

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

jaxnsmom | 1323 comments I was browsing the mystery section at my library and was amazed at the cozy selections. It seems like there's one for almost every profession and craft and hobby. I think it's fun when you find a book that features a craft or hobby that interests you. Of course, it can get out of hand - I can just imagine setting up a list of ones I have to try. While I could only try one every so often, the list would keep growing, like my tbr list :)

One I read a while back was about a soapmaker. I thought it sounded interesting, but never got around to trying it. The same with candle-making, and quilting, and genealogy, and gardening and... Now I think I'd like to try one of these. I'll have to find a series to get in the mood, and then see what happens. Maybe I should start with the Tea Shop series by Laura Childs. I know how to brew and drink tea!

Have any of you tried something new after reading a cozy? Or been tempted? Or has one of your interests drawn you to a particular series?

LynnB I haven't been tempted to anything new really, but I do enjoy learning about all the different occupations and hobbies through the books.

If you haven't been there before, you might want to try this page on Stop You're Killing Me which lists mysteries (cozy and otherwise) by occupation. On the left of the page there are also links to mysteries by locations, etc.

Beware - it's an addicting site and adds to your TBR list!

jaxnsmom | 1323 comments You're right - it is addicting! But sooo much fun :)

Two other good ones:
http://www.cozy-mystery.com/
http://www.mystery-cozy.com/

Melinda Dunne (MelindaDunne) | 13 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "You're right - it is addicting! But sooo much fun :)

Two other good ones:
http://www.cozy-mystery.com/
http://www.mystery-cozy.com/"

Thanks for posting these sites! I didn't know about them!

jaxnsmom | 1323 comments Our chatting about lavender and it's uses have gotten me determined to learn more about herbs and their uses. China Bayles I won't be, but I'll be happy to be an amateur.

At break at work I walked down the street. Behind the Habitat for Humanity ReStore they have a small herb garden with a help yourself sign. I dug up small pieces of oregano and what seems to mint (it hasn't taken over and the smell isn't quite right). Also broke off a piece of rosemary, I'm hoping to root it. I have killed every rosemary plant I've ever had, so this could be a problem :)

Tasha You are so lucky! What a cool park. I'm going to try some herbs this year too.

China Bayles I won't be, but I'll be happy to be an amateur. Me too! hahaha :)

jaxnsmom | 1323 comments Tasha wrote: "You are so lucky! What a cool park. I'm going to try some herbs this year too.

China Bayles I won't be, but I'll be happy to be an amateur. Me too! hahaha :)"

I actually made some face toner this weekend. Don't know how it'll work yet. I tried a new face lotion last week and had a bad reaction, so have to give it some time.

Check this article from The Herb Companion (a magazine I get and love). What a great way to start seeds:

http://www.herbcompanion.com/in-the-h...

Tasha Awesome! I'm going to have to try that. Thanks for the link, especially to the mag. I have been thinking that I would like an herbal mag and you just gave it to me. Thanks!!

Btw, try spritz ing some of that lavendar on your facet might help clear up that bad reaction. ;)

jaxnsmom | 1323 comments Tasha wrote: "Awesome! I'm going to have to try that. Thanks for the link, especially to the mag. I have been thinking that I would like an herbal mag and you just gave it to me. Thanks!!"

Glad to share! I checked out several books at the library tonight about using herbs, now I just have to get some grain alcohol or 100 proof vodka!

message 10: by Tasha (last edited Apr 05, 2012 04:27AM) (new)

Tasha I ordered the magazine subscription yesterday! I'm going to start planning and planting some containers. I think I'll start with container gardens first as I decide what I want and like. I have some empty ones sitting around, just need soil and herbs. :)

Angela Lynn Holland (griperang) This sounds like a fun thread, I can't think of something I have tried because of a cozy I have read but I have tried a couple of recipes from cozies and one is beer bottle bread from Laura Child's Scrapbooking series

jaxnsmom | 1323 comments Angela Lynn wrote: "This sounds like a fun thread, I can't think of something I have tried because of a cozy I have read but I have tried a couple of recipes from cozies and one is beer bottle bread from Laura Child's..."

Have you ever decided to read a cozy series because it contains recipes? I enjoy reading some of the recipes as much as the books :)

Angela Lynn Holland (griperang) jaxnsmom wrote: "Angela Lynn wrote: "This sounds like a fun thread, I can't think of something I have tried because of a cozy I have read but I have tried a couple of recipes from cozies and one is beer bottle brea..."

I would have to probably say yes, because when I see the food ones I usually look to see if there are recipes in there and that is the first thing I look at in the book.

Randa | 137 comments I enjoy reading the recipes in several of the cozies but have yet to find one I want to make. I enjoy cooking just not baking...any cozies out there that tell you how to make soup or something???

jaxnsmom | 1323 comments Randa - You've got to go to this blog. A lot of yummy sounding recipes, along with book news from several cozy mystery writers.

http://www.mysteryloverskitchen.com/

jaxnsmom | 1323 comments Also, check out the culinary shelf on the group bookshelf.

Billie Johnson (BillieJohn) | 1 comments Randa wrote: "I enjoy reading the recipes in several of the cozies but have yet to find one I want to make. I enjoy cooking just not baking...any cozies out there that tell you how to make soup or something???"

Try A FAIR TO DIE FOR by Radine Trees Nehring ...here protagonists' recipes are included in the text, soup, stew...tuna salad...fun!

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Laura Childs (other topics)