Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption Unbroken discussion

Good or Not?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 370) (370 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Pure Awesomness Just started, NO SPOILERS.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought this book was good. :)

Karen I am not a history buff. Never read any of it, BUT I read this and loved it! My 15 year old son read it as well. He had me buy a copy to give his high school teacher a copy. If more history classes were taught using these kinds of stories, there would be more people interested in history.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Great book! I recommend it to everyone.

Schawn schoepke Very good gives a new perspective.....

Karen Unbroken is a wonderful book, except for the author's use of "snuck" instead of "sneaked." I hate that. It should be a thrilling movie if correctly cast.

Lisa This is a really fun book, especially if you usually read fiction (as I do). Great story, amazing characters - loved it!

Robin Clayton Such a good book, I wish I could meet the old coot!

Michael Yeah, it's wonderful. Bit of a slow start, and parts are a bit depressing, but overall a great book.

message 10: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Lutzke I have shared this book with close to 10 people and everyone was blown away by Louis' story. I can't believe this is even a question. Is there anyone out there who thinks this book is not a great read?

Rebecca This book was a true inspirational book. His story is amazing!

Gerald Unbroken  A World War II Story Of Survival, Resilience, And Redemption by Laura HillenbrandUnbroken: A World War II Story Of Survival, Resilience, And Redemption was fantastic. I VERY HIGHLY recommend it. It is an incredible tale of the real-life experiences of a remarkable person.

Laura HillenbrandLaura Hillenbrand is such a great author. The depth of her research clears shows as she paints such vivid pictures of her characters and situations. The same is true of another of her books that I've just finished, i.e., Seabiscuit  An American Legend by Laura HillenbrandSeabiscuit: An American Legend.

Thomas A great story and well written. I loved the book.

message 14: by Shawn (new) - rated it 1 star

Shawn In the minority here, but I don't think it's much of a book at all. Too hyperbolic, and too dependent on the subject's (wildly subjective!) recollections.

Thomas I'm a WWII buff. I really liked the history.

message 16: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Thomas Compelling, gritty and emotional start to finish, a must read and by Lauren Hillenbrand, my kind of writer and author of Seabiscuit -- the best written sports book I have ever read -- and UNBROKEN is better written

message 17: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike Reid Great story of survival and the undying will to live of a man.

Carole  Robinson I learned so much I didn't know about WWII. An amazingly strong person! I don't know if I would be able to watch a movie of this book. Some details were very disturbing. I recommend this book to all of my reader-friends.

Hannah bailey Unbroken is a great read. I could not put it down. Loved Seabiscuit too. Hillenbrand is a fantastic, her writing makes it hard to put down.

message 20: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Thomas I agree completely haven't found a more gripping author recently. Or non-recently. PS I just read The Fault in Our Stars. Different genre but it really affested me

message 21: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Kliewer One of the best books I've read in a long time. An amazing story of forgiveness and redemption.

Schawn schoepke Sue wrote: "One of the best books I've read in a long time. An amazing story of forgiveness and redemption."

Very good point, its such an incredible story I forget about the forgiveness part......

Dennis It was an amazing book and story. All of the accolades the book have received are well deserved. I am not surprised at all they are making it into a movie.

Karen "Unbroken" was an exhilarating read and I loved every minute except for when the author uses "snuck" instead of "sneaked." You'd think she'd know better. I always gak out on this kind of grammatical laziness.

message 25: by Gini (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gini Amazing book. Can't stop recommending it to people. Should be a mandatory read for students.

Notty Might just be one of my all time favourites! An awesome read, waiting patiently for another book from her:)

Karen Good doesn't even begin to describe the potency of this book, but be warned, it's not for the faint of heart. It's a powerful read that will grab you and not let you go.

Susan Fantastic, amazing and inspiring book. I can't stop thinking about it!

Joy Amazing!! Everyone should read it!

Brenda Anderson Great book.

Notty Wow! This might have been one of my all-time favourite books. Loved, loved, LOVED it!

Crystal This book is on my Top Ten Favorite Books list. I absolutely loved it!

Crystal Notty wrote: "Wow! This might have been one of my all-time favourite books. Loved, loved, LOVED it!"

I totally agree, WOW!

message 34: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben I read this book as a recommendation from a friend. I normally read only fantasy. This book was fantastic and helped me realize that there's so much out there besides just fantasy to read.

Sherrie Billings I love this book and bought it to add to my book collection. I strongly recommend it.

Kristen Meredith The story is fascinating. It was well written and one of those stories that sticks with you afterwards.

Megan Blosser This is one of those books that will have a lifelong impact on me. I read this book when it was brand new and I didn't know if Louie survived. Along the way, I kept assuming he made it at least another day, because there were so many pages left in the book, but I just couldn't fathom any human's spirit being strong enough to come out on the other side of his ordeal.

In 2010, I was fortunate enough to meet Louie Zamperini. The man is simply...awesome.

Kathleen Not just a good book...a great book

Morgan Well written, but the end is kinda slow and I had a hard time finishing it. But don't get too hung up on my review because I am only in 8th grade.

Craig I also loved this book, and it is one of my all time favorites. This book really opens your eyes to the condition of man (humanity). I have new respect for the capacity at which a man can suffer, yet endure. I am shocked anew at man's capacity for evil. And I am encouraged by man's ability for forgiveness and redemption. Please read this book. It is that good!

message 41: by Ronald (last edited May 11, 2012 05:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ronald Broun The part of the book I enjoyed the most was the part on the treatment of our POWs. Just making it home from this hell was amazing. If you like this story I would highly recommend reading Faith of My Fathers by John McCain. This is NOT a political book, but a story of courage and survial.

Colleen Well worth read! Amazing story and an amazing man. Makes you wonder how many other incredible stories from this era/time that havent been told.

Notty Doesn't it also make you sad that Laura has only written one other book ' Seabiscuit'. Don't know about you out there, but when I find a book I like, I go crazy reading everything else they've read!

Peggy This is a phenomenol read. When I read the question "Good or not" I couldn't believe anyone would even ask that about this book.... The word "good" doesn't even begin to describe this book.
Read it....you will blown away by everything this poor guy had to endure, and his ability to forgive.

Jeanine I was astounded by this book. Good or not? I think it is one of the most brilliantly written, fascinating books I've ever read. This man's story is incredible - and he's still alive living in the L.A. area.

Jeanine Gini wrote: "Amazing book. Can't stop recommending it to people. Should be a mandatory read for students."

I completely agree!

Notty If you follow the author's story, you'll see that she's had major problems in her life as well. All in all, one of my favourites:)

Dianne I was sorry the book ended, but grateful for the read. I'm looking forward to another Laura Hillenbrand book. She definitely caught my attention with her writing style & creativity. Great read.

Shawntaye Hopkins I thought it was the best nonfiction book I have read in a long, long time. Laura Hillenbrand is an amazing writer (you should also read Seabiscuit even if you're not into horse racing). I could not put this book down. Really. And the last chapters drove me to tears. I'm not usually a crier. It was so moving that after it all done, he said he wouldn't change any of it. "His conviction that everything happened for a reason, and would come to good, gave him laughing equanimity even in hard times." I want the world to read this book.

Shawntaye Hopkins Notty wrote: "If you follow the author's story, you'll see that she's had major problems in her life as well. All in all, one of my favourites:)"

I'm waiting for Laura Hillenbrand to write her autobiography.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption (other topics)
Seabiscuit: An American Legend (other topics)
The Railway Man (other topics)
Shadow Divers (other topics)
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Laura Hillenbrand (other topics)
Eric Lomax (other topics)