flight paths discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive:What Are You Reading > February 14.5000000001 to February 29th

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (Neilar) | 491 comments Its Valentine's day, well in a 4 hours it will be for everyone.

Can you find love in a book ?

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 375 comments Yes.

message 3: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 844 comments Ellie wrote: "Yes."

oh please elaborate

sometimes I have to remind myself that reading is only one of my favorite activities and go for a walk, or dance, or, yipes, interact with real people in real time
(not always possible)

I just started Slow Homecomingby Peter Handke Peter Handke Slow Homecoming by Peter Handke

I fell in love instantly and hard.
Who wouldn't with such an opener:

Soger had outlived several of those who had become close to him; he had ceased to long for anything. but often felt a selfless love of existance and at times a need for salvation so palpable that it weighed on his eyelids.

message 4: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (Neilar) | 491 comments Certain books, songs, moments - makes it all worthwhile

Jim Ice wrote: "Certain books, songs, moments - makes it all worthwhile"

If I'm not prying, which book is the love of your life?

message 6: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (Neilar) | 491 comments For (almost) standalone books I would find it hard to choose between:
The Giver by Lois Lowry
and

The Masters of Solitude byMarvin Kaye

Jim Three that always make me feel warm and fuzzy are A Prayer for Owen Meany, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values, and Light in August.

I did have a short-lived, amour fou with Duino Elegies:, but too intense to last...

message 8: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 844 comments ah those hot brief obbsessions.

Oddly, the only book I have read on Ice and Jims most beloved is Zen and... while I loved it I didnt get warm and fuzzy at all. have never been able to read Irving, or inclined to read Faulkner. Never even heard of Ice's loves/

I cant begin to answer this question I am such a book slut. maybeThe Tin Drum orRiddley Walker I love a lot of books,I fall asleep with them. Currently I am enthralled by the one I am now most involved with, depicted in an earlier post. I am amazed I just discovered the autor quite randomly, anyone else read anything by him or even heard of him?

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 375 comments Sorry I haven't checked in for a while.

So many: all of Rilke, A Wrinkle in Time, Madame Bovary and - oddly enough, although I love all of Flaubert (although apparently only in the original) Bouvard and Pécuchet. I'll have to keep adding to this. Also the poetry of someone I work with Mary Lou Buschi. Susan Howe. Eliot's Four Quartets.

This is fun!

Faulkner is a little too rich for my literary digestive track-I literally start to feel ill when I read him.

Also Duino Elegies.

And for a short but very intense period, Maurice Blanchot, Edmond Jabès, and Edward Said.

And a continuing romance with Lydia Davis and Clarice Lispector.

Oh and how could I forget my first love! 14 years old with Julian Sorel in The Red and the Black.

And as an adolescent, all of Ibsen and Chekhov's plays.

message 10: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Feb 27, 2012 03:48AM) (new)

Magdelanye | 844 comments Ellie wrote: "Sorry I haven't checked in for a while.

So many: all of Rilke, A Wrinkle in Time, Madame Bovary and - oddly enough, although I love all of Flaubert (although apparently on..."

thats some list Ellie!
I got a bit of a start, because the page loaded at your remark and I thought, as I began reading, you were catching us up to what you had been reading in the last month! I was actually gaping by the time I figured it out, scrolled up to see the question.
Now that I realize, these are the loves of your life and not what youve read so far this year, I am still impressed. For over 30 years I have periodically gotten two pages into the red and the black. I did trudge through Madame B,L'Engle is good,and Rilke is one of my loves.I have a cooler relationship with TSE but as for the others,many I have never even seen their writing let alone read it

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 375 comments We had to read The Red and the Black in French when I was 14 and we spent about 6 months on it-long enough for me to totally fall in love with Julian, even though he was completely corrupt.

message 12: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 844 comments Ellie wrote: "We had to read The Red and the Black in French when I was 14 and we spent about 6 months on it-long enough for me to totally fall in love with Julian, even though he was completely cor..."

This in the USA? I didnt even realize they taught French there? It's supposed to be our second language but back when I was in school, it was not a requirement and the instruction was lackadasical.

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 375 comments I had a pretty good education in French, at least in reading, and a couple of years of Spanish as well. Really not bad for some dingy school in Washington Heights. :)

message 14: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 844 comments quelle buena suerte!

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 375 comments Si. Et bonne chance aussi.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.