flight paths discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive:What Are You Reading > February 14.5000000001 to February 29th

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (Neilar) | 597 comments Its Valentine's day, well in a 4 hours it will be for everyone.

Can you find love in a book ?

message 2: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 644 comments Yes.

message 3: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 1214 comments Ellie wrote: "Yes."

oh please elaborate

sometimes I have to remind myself that reading is only one of my favorite activities and go for a walk, or dance, or, yipes, interact with real people in real time
(not always possible)

I just started Slow Homecomingby Peter Handke Peter Handke Slow Homecoming by Peter Handke

I fell in love instantly and hard.
Who wouldn't with such an opener:

Soger had outlived several of those who had become close to him; he had ceased to long for anything. but often felt a selfless love of existance and at times a need for salvation so palpable that it weighed on his eyelids.

message 4: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (Neilar) | 597 comments Certain books, songs, moments - makes it all worthwhile

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim Ice wrote: "Certain books, songs, moments - makes it all worthwhile"

If I'm not prying, which book is the love of your life?

message 6: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (Neilar) | 597 comments For (almost) standalone books I would find it hard to choose between:
The Giver by Lois Lowry
and

The Masters of Solitude byMarvin Kaye

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim Three that always make me feel warm and fuzzy are A Prayer for Owen Meany, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values, and Light in August.

I did have a short-lived, amour fou with Duino Elegies:, but too intense to last...

message 8: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 1214 comments ah those hot brief obbsessions.

Oddly, the only book I have read on Ice and Jims most beloved is Zen and... while I loved it I didnt get warm and fuzzy at all. have never been able to read Irving, or inclined to read Faulkner. Never even heard of Ice's loves/

I cant begin to answer this question I am such a book slut. maybeThe Tin Drum orRiddley Walker I love a lot of books,I fall asleep with them. Currently I am enthralled by the one I am now most involved with, depicted in an earlier post. I am amazed I just discovered the autor quite randomly, anyone else read anything by him or even heard of him?

message 9: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 644 comments Sorry I haven't checked in for a while.

So many: all of Rilke, A Wrinkle in Time, Madame Bovary and - oddly enough, although I love all of Flaubert (although apparently only in the original) Bouvard and Pécuchet. I'll have to keep adding to this. Also the poetry of someone I work with Mary Lou Buschi. Susan Howe. Eliot's Four Quartets.

This is fun!

Faulkner is a little too rich for my literary digestive track-I literally start to feel ill when I read him.

Also Duino Elegies.

And for a short but very intense period, Maurice Blanchot, Edmond Jabès, and Edward Said.

And a continuing romance with Lydia Davis and Clarice Lispector.

Oh and how could I forget my first love! 14 years old with Julian Sorel in The Red and the Black.

And as an adolescent, all of Ibsen and Chekhov's plays.

message 10: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Feb 27, 2012 03:48AM) (new)

Magdelanye | 1214 comments Ellie wrote: "Sorry I haven't checked in for a while.

So many: all of Rilke, A Wrinkle in Time, Madame Bovary and - oddly enough, although I love all of Flaubert (although apparently on..."

thats some list Ellie!
I got a bit of a start, because the page loaded at your remark and I thought, as I began reading, you were catching us up to what you had been reading in the last month! I was actually gaping by the time I figured it out, scrolled up to see the question.
Now that I realize, these are the loves of your life and not what youve read so far this year, I am still impressed. For over 30 years I have periodically gotten two pages into the red and the black. I did trudge through Madame B,L'Engle is good,and Rilke is one of my loves.I have a cooler relationship with TSE but as for the others,many I have never even seen their writing let alone read it

message 11: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 644 comments We had to read The Red and the Black in French when I was 14 and we spent about 6 months on it-long enough for me to totally fall in love with Julian, even though he was completely corrupt.

message 12: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 1214 comments Ellie wrote: "We had to read The Red and the Black in French when I was 14 and we spent about 6 months on it-long enough for me to totally fall in love with Julian, even though he was completely cor..."

This in the USA? I didnt even realize they taught French there? It's supposed to be our second language but back when I was in school, it was not a requirement and the instruction was lackadasical.

message 13: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 644 comments I had a pretty good education in French, at least in reading, and a couple of years of Spanish as well. Really not bad for some dingy school in Washington Heights. :)

message 14: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 1214 comments quelle buena suerte!

message 15: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 644 comments Si. Et bonne chance aussi.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Slow Homecoming (other topics)
The Masters of Solitude (other topics)
The Giver (other topics)
Duino Elegies (other topics)
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Peter Handke (other topics)
Lois Lowry (other topics)
Marvin Kaye (other topics)
Clarice Lispector (other topics)
Mary Lou Buschi (other topics)
More...