Eclipse (Twilight, #3) Eclipse discussion

What Was Jacob's Obsession for? SPOILERS

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

JazzyCat Do you think that Jacob, when he was in love with Bella, was he in love with Bella, or was he already in love with Nessie? Because he mentioned "addiction" in Breaking Dawn.

Ally*Mystique*Ketch Wow, i never thought of it that way... It could be... I really have no idea lol xD

message 3: by Nichole (new) - added it

Nichole W. I don't know how he could be in love with nessie before she even existed. She didn't even exist until after the wedding after all.

Marisa I think its creepy that he loved bella but imprinted on nessie

Taylor i think its kinda weird.

JazzyCat Nichole wrote: "I don't know how he could be in love with nessie before she even existed. She didn't even exist until after the wedding after all."

Yeah, but Nessie is a part of Bella. So it's possible...

JazzyCat Taylor wrote: "i think its kinda weird."

Yeah it is. Loving a girl, but ending up with that girl's daughter...

message 8: by Nichole (new) - added it

Nichole W. Yeah, but Nessie is a part of Bella. So it's p..."

but that would mean he imprinted on nessie...because she's the closest thing to bella he could get??? awkward....

JazzyCat Nichole wrote: "Yeah, but Nessie is a part of Bella. So it's p..."

but that would mean he imprinted on nessie...because she's the closest thing to bella he could get??? awkward...."

No, I mean, maybe there was some part of her, a "Nessie" part, that he's always loved.

message 10: by Nichole (new) - added it

Nichole W. @ Jasny: I guess anything's possible in a fantasy novel...although personally I don't think Meyers thought of it like then when she wrote it. Personally, I think she needed a HEA for Jacob because he'd grown such a fan-base and she didn't want to disappoint the fans and leave him hanging since obviously she wasn't going to give him Bella...so Nessie was a quick solution.

message 11: by Rachael (last edited Feb 14, 2012 07:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachael Remember though, Jacob and Bella's relationship went back to normal, just friends, no complicated awkwardness when Nesse was born because he was probably never really in Love with Bella in the first place. If Edward didn't exist and Jacob wasn't a wolf that could imprint they'd probably end up together as they were best friends that DID love one another, our human sort of Love anyway but that could never compare to anything as strong as Vampire finding his mate and a wolf imprinting and think about it, Bella always said she loved him as family and now he is.. I liked the fact they could all be in the same family and I think also the creepiness of Jacob going from mother to daughter doesn't bother me because his feelings do completely die for Bella romantically.. It makes it easier anyway =)

Kristen Wow, never thought of it that way. Since it is a "fantasy" world, I suppose anything is possible. But in "real life" you couldn't be in love with someone just because of the baby they will be carrying in the future. But in the Twilight series I think this definitly could be possible. It could also be seen that Jacob realizes that he definitly cannot have Bella and is in love with the baby because it is part of Bella who he has always loved.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Rachael wrote: "Remember though, Jacob and Bella's relationship went back to normal, just friends, no complicated awkwardness when Nesse was born because he was probably never really in Love with Bella in the firs..."

I agree 100%! :D

Nicole D. Rachael I think you explained everything perfectly and I 100% agree.

Rachael Ah thank you :)

Kirby the "nessie part," I think...

Neyra ♦ his obsession was about him getting lead on in a triangle romance, pinning for the girl while she loves someone else, and him at the same time... hurting Jacob after Edward comes back no matter how much Jacob was there for her during her "i don't want to live because he's gone" days; allowing her to continue toying with his feelings throughout the whole series so that in the end he'd take ONE look into those big brown eyes of Nessie and fall head over paws for her... sure the love is platonic because she's a baby and all, but yes, it's weird and downright disturbing. I mean, even Quinn got stuck" with a baby for a mate or whatever. I would've liked for other characters to be introduced to the series, I mean I get that you want to keep Jacob as a part of Bella's life, but that could've happened without turning him in to the son-in-law -.-t

Dina M. Neyra wrote: "his obsession was about him getting lead on in a triangle romance, pinning for the girl while she loves someone else, and him at the same time... hurting Jacob after Edward comes back no matter how..."

Haha yeah I agree. Bella was a major bitch to him. And there never really seemed to a love triangle to me since she obviously loved Edward more. And the whole Nessie thing kind of felt a bit too pedophilish to me.

Neyra ♦ Dina wrote: "Neyra wrote: "his obsession was about him getting lead on in a triangle romance, pinning for the girl while she loves someone else, and him at the same time... hurting Jacob after Edward comes back..."

yeah, i didn't like how jacob was lead on throughout the series just because she couldn't decide who she really wanted until like the end of eclipse -.- and yea that too. even though nessie would eventually "mature" to an adult, if you think about it, she'd still be like 7 or 8 yrs (im not sure exactly cause it's been months since i read breaking dawn) since she grows at an accelerated rate. if that makes sense o.O Lol

Diane ti amo wrote: "Do you think that Jacob, when he was in love with Bella, was he in love with Bella, or was he already in love with Nessie? Because he mentioned "addiction" in Breaking Dawn."
I've heard that his attraction to Bella was because he was drawn to Nessie's genes or whatever.
I'd like to think he would've been drawn to Bella regardless of Nessie genes (not necessarily in a romantic way though). I always felt like their friendship was so easy and natural.

Before BD, I've always thought that Jacob liked Bella because she was the "older" girl who payed attention to him. He was young when he developed that crush on her (15? 16?), at that age, it usually doesn't take much.

Tassneem It's not really wierd if you think it through .. he was in love with Bella but was never meant for him and when he saw Nessi's eyes he imprinted on her and it came out of his hands . like it was involuntary love.... it's like Sam , Emily and Leah .... It doesn't make real sense but it does in the Twilight world :)

Victoria Parker I dont think he was in love..Like A LOT..yes but truly love no and they were never meant to be and he knew that and when he saw Nessie he had the imprint( i still dont get that) I think yes he was obsessed with bella but love?? No he might have told himself ya he did but i dont think so...what yall think?

Jeanie Don't forget that Meyer actually wrote Twilight and then what became Breaking Dawn first and then went back and filled in the story with New Moon and Eclipse after her publisher indicated a desire for a Twilight trilogy--only one book was expected to bridge the Twilight/Breaking Dawn gap.

Given that, it seems logical that the intensity and obsessive quality of Jacob's feelings for Bella in New Moon/Eclipse are a part of the explanation for his eventual imprinting with Nessie. And, as stated previously, the fact that the relationship changed to close friendship after Nessie's birth leads one to believe Nessie was the draw and not Bella.

In a survival of the species sort of way, it also makes sense that the parent of one's future imprint mate would have a pull for the wolf as a way of getting and keeping him in the vicinity of where his future mate will be--though I admit that's a bit of a stretch and don't know if Meyer thought of it that way.

message 24: by Pamela (last edited May 19, 2012 06:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pamela Traynham Imprinting is governed by destiny. There is a person on whom each of them will imprint. It is conceivable that Bella was never really the object of Jacob's love. In her lay his destiny. The connection he formed with Bella was not obsession, but part of a destiny that he could not possibly have understood at the time or avoided had he tried. Destiny's path brought Jacob and Bella together as children. As young adults they were meant to reestablish their bond in preparation for his imprinting on Nessie. His instinct saw his future in Bella. He could not see that his future would be the part of Bella that was carried in her child.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Eclipse (other topics)