UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

FREE BOOKS ADD TO MONTHLY THREAD > I got it free and it was good!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 176) (176 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Feb 12, 2012 12:55PM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 57839 comments Please post comments about books that you got when free, have read and enjoyed.

Of course, we'd like to hear about any not so good ones too.

message 2: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments American courtroom, lawyer, thriller - kinda bit like John Grisham stuff, but imo better cos it is fresh and new...
Was free on Feb 8th - but now only 77p
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Money-e...

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 57839 comments Kath wrote: "American courtroom, lawyer, thriller - kinda bit like John Grisham stuff, but imo better cos it is fresh and new...
Was free on Feb 8th - but now only 77p
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Money-e......"

Yat! I got it! I'll bump into TBR.

message 4: by Elle (last edited Feb 12, 2012 01:04PM) (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments shouldn't there be another word between got and free?

I got this book : 13 Little Blue Envelopes free sometime last year - if anyone has got it - READ IT. I bought the full priced second one (over a fiver) the minute it came out and I'm reading it next.

message 5: by Kath (last edited Feb 12, 2012 01:07PM) (new)

Kath | 1965 comments Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "shouldn't there be another word between got and free?

I got this book : 13 Little Blue Envelopes free sometime last year - if anyone has got it - READ IT. I bought the full priced sec..."

i got that one... thanks, will go dig it out :)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 57839 comments Yeah, yeah. I think faster than I type. ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/13-Little-Blu...

Missed grabbing that one. Boo.

message 7: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments It's chick lit so it mighten be everybodies cup of tea but I generally don't read books like that, and I LOVED it.

Emma (Queen of the weirdo's) (emzibah) | 4375 comments I did wonder Elle, when I saw the blurb, if you had the right book! Have downloaded sample x

message 9: by Joo (new)

Joo (Jooo) | 1620 comments I rather enjoyed Hollywood Sinners by Victoria Fox http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004UGRDIC (eek, £4.85 now)

It's a more modern day Jackie Collins type bonk buster but not too much bonking.

I liked that blue envelopes one too.

message 10: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments Emma is a snazzy marching frog!!! wrote: "I did wonder Elle, when I saw the blurb, if you had the right book! Have downloaded sample x"

I know, like seriously would you ever expect me to read a book like that? But it was bloody brilliant.

message 11: by Linda (last edited Feb 12, 2012 03:39PM) (new)

Linda | 33 comments I got this one free [book:Bubba and the Dead Woman|9969004 and have since bought the next two in the series. Great fun and very quirky.

Edited and still can't get the !!**?! link to work :(

message 12: by Elle (last edited Feb 12, 2012 04:01PM) (new)

message 13: by Karen (Kew) (new)

Karen (Kew) | 4045 comments One of the best ones that I've read was A Child al Confino: The True Story of a Jewish Boy and His Mother in Mussolini’s Italy - it's mega bucks when they charge for it, but it's been free twice so hopefully it's on a few TBR lists. It's an excellent read.

:0)

message 14: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments yay I have that one Karen!

message 15: by Nell (last edited Feb 13, 2012 04:50AM) (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 212 comments Linda wrote: "I got this one free Bubba and the Dead Woman and have since bought the next two in the series. Great fun and very quirky.

Edited and still can't get the !!**?! link to work :("

Linda, you need to close the square brackets - the one on the end was missing :)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4697 comments Bubba and the dead woman is still free :

Amazon :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bubba-Dead-Wo...

message 17: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Comley (Melcom) A Dog's Life a short story. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dogs-Life-Sho...

Desley (Cat fosterer) (Booktigger) | 7114 comments Dont have links, but I read a Stephen Davies book about an AIDS trial that I found really interesting, really must read his second one after I have finished the JP books.

There was also one free the other day that I read before Christmas that was fantastic, The Curious Case of Daniel Walters, can't remember the author though.

message 19: by Lyra (new)

Lyra | 34 comments Seconding Bubba and the Dead Woman.

I quite enjoyed A Parrot In My Soup

not much happened, but it was pleasant enough and reminded me faintly ofA Year in Provence

its a collection of columns from a local publication I think.

message 20: by Lyra (new)

Lyra | 34 comments Letters From Mallorca

I cant quite make up my mind about... I liked it as a freebie. But it did make me think I'd look out for his other book .. a summer in magalluf

message 21: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5175 comments Thanks Karen I have the Al Confino book,hope to read it soon.

message 22: by Karen (Kew) (new)

Karen (Kew) | 4045 comments I missed out on Letters from Mallorca and It's a Dog's Life - but I've got 13 Blue Envelopes and a Parrot in My Soup - so they will be bumped up the list. I'm using goodreads to help keep track of my books, so I've added those to my to read shelf.

I started to read Bubba and the Dead Woman but couldn't get into it. Might try again later though...

message 23: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments my to-read shelf is used for books next-to-buy

message 24: by Joo (new)

Joo (Jooo) | 1620 comments I am loving this book. And it's free today too.
www.amazon.co.uk/Pants-Adventures-Idi...
It jumped straight to the top of my reading list and I'm only not reading it because I'm promoting it so you all can enjoy kinkajous down your fleece like Tony did ;P

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 57839 comments Dave just finished this one and quite enjoyed it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SOLDIER-AQUAR...

message 26: by Anita (new)

Anita | 3758 comments I got The Hiding House free the other day & found it very well written & a very good read.

message 27: by Karen (new)

Karen (Karenkindles) | 5 comments Yellow Crocus. Got it when it was free. Great read similar to The Help or Roots
Reading A Parrot In My Soup at the moment Enjoyable read

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 57839 comments Dave is currently reading this and sez he's really enjoying it. Was free last week.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pants-Adventu...

message 29: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5175 comments Thanks Karen,I have Yellow Crocus,will move it up my TBR list.

message 30: by Joo (new)

Joo (Jooo) | 1620 comments The Bear/Pants book is the best book I've read since getting my Kindle. It's just lush.

I'm reading www.amazon.co.uk/Death-in-Spiggs-Wood... just now and it's free today and is very good.

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 4642 comments Joo wrote: "The Bear/Pants book is the best book I've read since getting my Kindle. It's just lush.

I'm reading www.amazon.co.uk/Death-in-Spiggs-Wood... just now and it's free today and i..."

I'm reading that too and enjoying it, half way through and hope it continues to be hard to predict what happens.

message 32: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5175 comments Another one moving up the list.Thank you Lynne.

message 33: by Karen (Kew) (new)

Karen (Kew) | 4045 comments This is a useful thread - I've just added some more to my goodreads to read shelf (it's how I keep track of books I definately intend to read.) Thanks for the recommendations.

message 34: by Joo (new)

Joo (Jooo) | 1620 comments Lynne (Tigger's Mum) wrote: "I'm reading that too and enjoying it, half way through and hope it continues to be hard to predict what happens."

I'm back and fore, is she? isn't she?

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 4642 comments Hope to finish it tonight then I'll know what happened, I promise I won't spoil it for anyone. Its taking my mind off my stupidity today, I have badly burnt myself by trying to clean my steam iron station. I let the steam out and let it cool and peeped down the hole to see if there was much limescale, I gave it a little shake and the damn thing erupted boiling water suddenly. it caught me on my cheek neck and chest and I've got 2nd degree burns. Luckily and by chance I had my reading specs on which saved my eye and I whipped my jumper off quickly but I've got some whopping blisters. I saw the doctor and got treatment straight away and the pain has gone now but what a daft thing to do. I frightened the poor dog as well she was really upset when I screamed.

message 36: by Karen (Kew) (new)

Karen (Kew) | 4045 comments Oh no, Lynne - that's awful! Hope you feel better soon! xx

message 37: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 212 comments Lynne, how dreadful for you - hope you're better soon.

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 4642 comments Thank you much appreciated, the pain has gone so long as I dont touch it but I'm not sure what I'm going to wear tomorrow. A good excuse to stay in and read.

message 39: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5175 comments Oh Lynne what a shame,I would send a hug but it would be too painful.Wishing you a speedy recovery.

message 40: by Joo (last edited Feb 24, 2012 11:46AM) (new)

Joo (Jooo) | 1620 comments Oh dear Lynne. That must have been a right shock.
I hope there's someone with you to tend your needs and fetch something nice to drink and eat whilst you enjoy reading.

I once had a soup explode on me after microwaving it, and that was a massive shock.

Jud (Disney Diva) (Judibud) | 17576 comments Oh no Lynne, glad you are OK and weren't burnt even worse and that your eye is OK!!! Imagine trying to read with only one eye... Would take forever to get used to.

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 4642 comments You are all so lovely thank you. It s not painful now. The cream prescribed has taken all the sting away. It doesn't look as bad either. xxx

message 43: by Linda (new)

Linda Gruchy (LindaGruchy) | 103 comments Thank goodness you were wearing those specs.

message 44: by Erika (new)

Erika Tamblin (ETamblin) | 7 comments I just got Displaced by Elle Lapraim free as an audio book from the authors website. It is a sci-fi story, so if you like that sort of thing I think you will love it!

Here is the link http://ellelapraim.com/books/

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 57839 comments Lynne (Tigger's Mum) wrote: "Hope to finish it tonight then I'll know what happened, I promise I won't spoil it for anyone. Its taking my mind off my stupidity today, I have badly burnt myself by trying to clean my steam iron..."

Oh Lynne! What shocking thing to go through! I'm glad the pain has lessened. Do get yourself some aloe to help reduce the scarring.

I had a kettle of boiling water accidentally spilled all down my front and have no scars at all. I credit many, many applications of fresh aloe vera juice as I healed.

message 46: by Lynne (Tigger's Mum) (last edited Feb 25, 2012 01:55AM) (new)

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 4642 comments Thanks Patti, in the heat of the moment, excuse pun, I didn't think of that, I've got a bit bottle of it as well. I've just got some nasty blisters now from my collar bone downwards. My neck looks badly sunburnt and I have a blister on my cheek where the spurt of water hit first. I have learned my lesson - no more ironing for me!!!!
Thanks to Linda's book, it kept my mind occupied and it was a really good read. I finished it and recommend it.Death in Spigg's Wood

message 47: by Susan (new)

Susan (SusieLily) | 469 comments Lynne (Tigger's Mum) wrote: "Hope to finish it tonight then I'll know what happened, I promise I won't spoil it for anyone. Its taking my mind off my stupidity today, I have badly burnt myself by trying to clean my steam iron..."

Oh Lynne, what a disaster! Glad you're feeling a little better now, and have good advice from Patti re aloe vera. I am so sorry you had to go through such an unpleasant experience. You must never iron anything again!

message 48: by Thea (new)

Thea Atkinson (TheaAtkinson) | 55 comments finished Run by Blake Crouch recently when it was free. I liked it better than I thought it was. I'd definitely pick up another of his.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 57839 comments Thats good to know Thea, thanks! I've got a load of Blake Crouch books.

message 50: by Sara (new)

Sara (bluesarat) | 13 comments Poor mum..happy you have got kindle to occupy you..you are very quiet,now I find you lurking here,don't pop your blisters and keep using the cream xxx ps I have afew Blake Crouch too seem well worth a good read!!

« previous 1 3 4

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

13 Little Blue Envelopes (other topics)
Bubba and the Dead Woman (other topics)
A Child al Confino: A True Story of Escape in War-Time Italy (other topics)
A Parrot In My Soup (other topics)
A Year in Provence (other topics)
More...