Reading with Style discussion

Reading with Style (Spring 2012) > General Questions & Answers

Comments (showing 1-50 of 152) (152 new)    post a comment »

Liz M | 2493 comments Post your general questions about the Reading w/Style Spring 2012 challenge (10 and 20 point tasks) and style points here.

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1975 comments On the poll, the task celebrating children's authors, which list woul we use and do you have the link for it? Will there only be one list and will we confined to a certain number on the list?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 2912 comments If you look at the comments below the poll, there is a link for you to peruse.

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1975 comments What a lovely website! I've added it to my "favorites" to use with my children.

message 5: by Liz M (last edited Apr 21, 2012 02:32PM) (new)

Liz M | 2493 comments Rebekah wrote: "What a lovely website! I've added it to my "favorites" to use with my children."

grin. I think we got the website from you, Rebekah ;)

Don (The Book Guy) (DontheLibrarian) | 427 comments RE: Banned books challenge. At the ALA site they list books as banned & challenged. Some books have had requests to be banned from a location but not always successfully. Does our documenting of a book need to show that it was actually removed from a public or school library, or merely challenged?

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1598 comments When does the poll close? I can't remember or find the date. Thanks!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 2912 comments I can answer the poll question - Feb 26!

I'm hesitant to answer the banned book question until we have conferred.

Liz M | 2493 comments Don wrote: "RE: Banned books challenge. At the ALA site they list books as banned & challenged. Some books have had requests to be banned from a location but not always successfully. Does our documenting of ..."

I haven't had time to look into this -- all my free time has been used trying to get caught up on the readerboard (only 133 posts behind).

Hopefully by the weekend, I will post an answer in the 20.1 Tattered Cover help thread.

Don (The Book Guy) (DontheLibrarian) | 427 comments Liz M wrote: "Don wrote: "RE: Banned books challenge. At the ALA site they list books as banned & challenged. Some books have had requests to be banned from a location but not always successfully. Does our doc..."

No rush on my part. I was trying to do some pre-planning for the next round. I am amazed at how much time you must put into this and I appreciate you and the other moderators in this challenge.

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1598 comments I have another voting related question. Will any more tasks be posted before the voting closes?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 2912 comments I'm going to stick my neck out on this one Karen, because Liz posts tasks. But she's pretty busy both at work and catching up on scorekeeping, so I wouldn't expect any more before Sunday.

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1975 comments What day does the poll end?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 2912 comments February 26

Carolyn | 47 comments I think the answer to this is posted somewhere but I can't find it so please forgive me! I believe I read at one point that we can use a book that we started reading before the official start date as long as we are no further than 50% through by the start of the challenge, i.e. March 1st. I just started a 766 page book that I definitely won't finish in time for the Winter challenge, so I'm hoping I can use it for the spring... Thanks in advance and sorry for any redundancy.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 2912 comments You are correct, Carolyn. Halfway or less, for one book only, and it's good for the next challenge. Happy reading!

message 17: by Connie (last edited Feb 26, 2012 12:25PM) (new)

Connie | 214 comments This is not a question, but a statement:
I'm really really excited about the spring challenge. So many great tasks, lovely group reads! I'm seriously rethinking trying to complete this challenge in favour of learning how to speed read, so that I can all of those done.

(and, I think 3 books in 3 work days might be not doable for me anyway...)

Thanks for such a delightful smorgasbord of tasks!

message 18: by Liz M (last edited Apr 21, 2012 02:34PM) (new)

Liz M | 2493 comments Connie wrote: "(and, I think 3 books in 3 work days might be not doable for me anyway...) ..."

(cough, cough) Boss, I don't feel well. I may be out for a day or two.

I wonder if they'd notice if it happened every three months, at the end of Feb., May, Aug., and Nov.?

Connie | 214 comments yeah, that's an interesting question :)

Don (The Book Guy) (DontheLibrarian) | 427 comments If a Ya novel is on one of the lists, ex. artemis Fowl on anti-hero list, does it needto meet the lexile rule? Also plays are on several of the lists, do they need to be 100 pages? Some plays are, but a few I saw on the lists while planning for this next group of challenges, which are great, I know are less than 100 pages as are a few short stories I saw listed.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 2912 comments Yes, Don. Both the Lexile rule and the 100 page rule apply. Remember, you can still read with a low Lexile, you just can't claim combo points. And always ask about a specific less than 100 pagers. Liz has been known to find a way for you to use them.

Don (The Book Guy) (DontheLibrarian) | 427 comments One more clarification and I think I am good to go for this set of tasks. Any time a task says READ A Book, is a play acceptable? I know, I know I am being nit picky, but as a librarian I do treat these as different items and don't usually think of plays as equivalent to a book. So thanks for you patience with me and my questions.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 2912 comments We're just trying not to restrict you (and your thinking) to novels. Plays, as long as they meet the page requirements, are great!

message 24: by Liz M (last edited Feb 27, 2012 07:50AM) (new)

Liz M | 2493 comments Don wrote: "Any time a task says READ A Book, is a play acceptable? I know, I know I am being nit picky, but as a librarian I do treat these as different items and don't usually think of plays as equivalent to a book...."

Out curiosity, what word would you use to indicate that a novel, a non-fiction book, a play, a short story collection, or a poetry collection are acceptable?

Don (The Book Guy) (DontheLibrarian) | 427 comments Printed matter would cover all types in my mind. It's just that if students/staff come wanting a book and I give them a play it's not the same. For that matter poetry isn't either to many of them. I am just so use to narrowing down exactly what a patron is looking for that I have to get clear in my head what the other person means when they use the term book.

message 26: by Rosemary (last edited Feb 27, 2012 03:06PM) (new)

Rosemary | 860 comments The term 'book' is used loosely in the challenge and on Goodreads generally, I think. It is not restricted to printed matter. It includes audio and electronic versions of printed books.

Rosemary | 860 comments A general question...so far, I'm having a lot more trouble fitting the books that I want/need to read into the tasks this season. So I am wondering, after we have used Square Peg, is it possible to claim style points for reading books that don't fit any tasks? i.e. can you claim review, canon, jumbo, etc, without claiming a task?

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1598 comments Elizabeth, does the order matter on the Chandler series? I haven't read any of them, but I might give it a try if I don't have to start with #1, but I'm kind of a "series purist" ;)

nsfancy Looking at 20.3, the Harvard classics list, Philip Pullmans Dark Materials series is there - would just one of the books qualify? I have already read the first one.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 2912 comments Yes, the Chandler series are more a collection than a series, so you could read them in random order, or just singly.

message 31: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Feb 27, 2012 02:37PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 2912 comments Rosemary wrote: "A general question...so far, I'm having a lot more trouble fitting the books that I want/need to read into the tasks this season. So I am wondering, after we have used Square Peg, is it possible to..."

'Fraid not. You'll need to read for a task. Funny you should find this, though, as I was thinking Square Peg might be the hardest task of all.

What are some of the books you are considering?

Liz M | 2493 comments nsfancy wrote: "Looking at 20.3, the Harvard classics list, Philip Pullmans Dark Materials series is there - would just one of the books qualify? I have already read the first one."

For any series on the Harvard List, any book of the series will work.

message 33: by Rosemary (last edited Feb 27, 2012 02:49PM) (new)

Rosemary | 860 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "...What are some of the books you are considering? "

Here are some that I'll be reading for other book groups during the season:

The Sisters Brothers Patrick DeWitt
The Eyre Affair Jasper Fforde
My Name is Red Orhan Pamuk
No Name Wilkie Collins
The Winds of Heaven Monica Dickens
Wise Children Angela Carter

Cranford Elizabeth Gaskell Just saw that mini-series are OK for the movie task, so that covers this one.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 2912 comments The Winds of Heaven was published in 1955, so qualifies for 20.5 Shakespeare and Co.

Cranford was made into a BBC mini-series, so qualifies for 20.4 El Ateneo.

I don't immediately see applications for the others, but remember we have 3 more tasks to come and some more Group Reads.

Rosemary | 860 comments OK thanks! If I get to set a task, I could be strategic :-)

message 36: by Liz M (last edited Feb 27, 2012 08:02PM) (new)

Liz M | 2493 comments Rosemary wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "...What are some of the books you are considering? "

Here are some that I'll be reading for other book groups during the season..."

From wiki: Orhan Pamuk, is a Turkish novelist. He is also the Robert Yik-Fong Tam Professor in the Humanities at Columbia University, where he teaches comparative literature and writing.

Therefore, he qualifies for 20.10.

Christin (Lunaratu) | 267 comments I was just wondering about 10.4 - On the list it has The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Would it be possible to use one of the separate Holmes novels like The Hound of the Baskervilles for it then?

message 38: by Rosemary (last edited Feb 28, 2012 04:27AM) (new)

Rosemary | 860 comments Liz M wrote: "From wiki: Orhan Pamuk, is a Turkish novelist. He is also the Robert Yik-Fong Tam Professor in the Humanities at Columbia University, where he teaches comparative literature and writing. "

Oh cool! I am so glad I can fit that one in :-)

I am going to go through my list now looking at all the living authors to see where they work. It doesn't have to be an American university for that one, does it? A university elsewhere in the world would be OK?

message 39: by Liz M (last edited Feb 28, 2012 04:30AM) (new)

Liz M | 2493 comments Rosemary wrote: "It doesn't have to be an American university for that one, does it? A university elsewhere in the world would be OK? ..."

Correct!

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1975 comments Liz M wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "What a lovely website! I've added it to my "favorites" to use with my children."

>grinyou, Rebekah ;)"

ha ha. no wonder I liked it!

message 41: by Rebekah (last edited Feb 29, 2012 11:06PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1975 comments Connie wrote: "This is not a question, but a statement:
I'm really really excited about the spring challenge. So many great tasks, lovely group reads! I'm seriously rethinking trying to complete this challenge in..."

Learn to listen to audio books and read a book at the same time. Then you have to give up sleeping for more tha 2 hrs a night, unless you can learn to "dream read" books. Give up your life so you can drive (audiobooks) your kids every where and wait(Kindle) for them for various hour long activites.
It's really not too hard! (smile)

PS only eat foods you can make with one hand while you hold a book in the other!
Oh and never watch TV or a movie again! lol

Connie | 214 comments :)

I'm considering looking for a job with a really long train commute.

Silver I am confused by what this means:

10.7 3rd place winner
10.8 2nd place winner
10.9 1st place winner

Winners of what? I did not see a further explanation anywhere for what we are supposed to do for these tasks.

message 44: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Mar 01, 2012 11:06AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 2912 comments Silver, those are just placeholders for now. The top scorers of the previous challenge get to design a task, but we don't know - for certain - who they are until the challenge ends. The Winter winners were Karen GHHS, Rosemary, and Rebekah. We will have those tasks posted as soon as they become available.

There will also be more group reads posted. Those who reviewed a high percentage of reads this Winter will offer a recommendation of one of their Winter reads.

Silver Oh ok thank you. At first I thought I was missing smoething.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 2912 comments Somedays, I'm pretty sure I'm missing a lot of things. ;-)

Ann (Lit_Chick_77) | 28 comments Thanks Silver for asking that! This was my first round and I thought it meant the winners of the poll, which were already tasks, so I was baffled as well.

Ann (Lit_Chick_77) | 28 comments I seriosuly doubt that I will acheive RwS finish, but just in case - in order to qualify, does each task need to be completed once as a main task?

Say for instance there is a magical book that fits all the tasks (except square peg). I claim it for a 20 pt task and get combo points for the rest. Then I read a square peg - am I done? Or do I have to read a minium of 20 books (1 per task) to officially finish?

Thanks!

Liz M | 2493 comments Ann wrote: "I seriosuly doubt that I will acheive RwS finish, but just in case - in order to qualify, does each task need to be completed once as a main task?

Say for instance there is a magical book that f..."

For a RwS finish you must read a book and claim task points for each of the 10 & 20 point tasks (a minimum of 20 books).

Christin (Lunaratu) | 267 comments Christin wrote: "I was just wondering about 10.4 - On the list it has The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Would it be possible to use one of the separate Holmes novels like The Hound of the Baskervilles..."

I was still curious if The Hound of the Baskervilles would work under the umbrella of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes for 10.4?

« previous 1 3 4