Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) Clockwork Angel discussion

The Infernal Devices vs The Mortal Instruments?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 93) (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Izzy I have read the 2 first books of The Mortal Instruments and I love them. But I am also interested in reading The Infernal Devices, so my question is: should I start reading TID of should I finish the TMI-books that are so far published?

And for you who have read both The Infernal Devices and The Mortal Instruments, which one is better? :)

message 2: by M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M. You can definitely go ahead and read Infernal Devices now. It wont spoil the rest of the TMI books. I personally preferred Infernal Devices. I think because of the time period the series is set, the characters are more mature and well rounded than the ones in TMI.

Deondra For me they are both equally amazing, just in different ways :)

Erika I love Mortal Instruments, but if I have to choose one it would The Infernal Device..The time period, Jem, I dont know exactly why but I adore Victorian Shadowhunters

Izzy Thank you all very much! :)

Katharina TMI is my favorite books on earth so I did not like TID at first, but as I am reading the second book I really enjoy them. Cassandra Clare is amazing!

Sumaya The Infernal Devices! probably the time period and the fact that i love both Jem and Will.. (simon kinda creeps me out) ohh and TID has a lot more story and depth to it.

Izzy Sounds good! Thank you, I will start reading them soon! :)

Natalie I read up until the third book in the MI before reading the ID. I like the ID books better, but since Clare goes into so much detail about the shadow-world in the first trilogy you can appreciate the ID so much more than one would if they did not read the MI. You could still read ID first, but I would advise reading at least the first three books of MI for full satisfaction. :)

Sydney I read all of TMI books, and then TID. I liked it that way because I was already familiar with the shadow hunter names and it was kind of exciting for me to read TID and notice all of the similarities and try and connect the characters from the two different time periods. But really, it wouldn't ruin either for you whatever order you choose.

Chevy Aime MORTAL INSTRUMANTS HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!! NO QUESTION ABOUT IT!!!

Michelle Knox Both series are amazing. One set in modern day NY (Mortal Instruments) and the other during I think the Victorian era (Infernal Devices). Both have the classic angst ridden (sometimes emotionally tortured bad boys). But I have to say that Will Herondale is my fav by far.....but the best part (funniest I mean) of both series is the Warlock Magnus Bane.

Shining_star It's very hard to choose between the two of them..

Both have an amazing storyline.. And the characters are also have similiarities..

But I cry because of TID more than TMI because there are several people died in TID in the first book..

message 14: by M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M. Shining_star wrote: "It's very hard to choose between the two of them..

Both have an amazing storyline.. And the characters are also have similiarities..

But I cry because of TID more than TMI because there are seve..."

I didn't think ID was sad per say. The people who died weren't that important. I wasn't vested in them anyways. I didn't feel anything. I think it's important in books like this for some characters to bite the dust.

Danielle Erika wrote: "I love Mortal Instruments, but if I have to choose one it would The Infernal Device..The time period, Jem, I dont know exactly why but I adore Victorian Shadowhunters"

i feel the same way!

IslaRose I love them both...... :( I'd have to say The Infernal Devices, just because I hate the direction TMI is headed. COFA was absolutley horrible, a disgrace to Jace and Clary, and I think if Cassie Clare wanted to continue Simon's story then she shouldve done a spon off rather than drag out a story that was complete. No offense Cassandra!!!! You're still my favorite author!!!! :)))

Bronte Ellen Me and my friends agree that whatever series you read first you will prefere. Therefore I prefere TID but TMI is still fantastic. I like the victorian period it is set in as well. You can read both series at the same time, in some cases it almost helps. :)

esthermarie Both are really could, and neither will spoil the other, although they do overlap in some areas. That just makes it more interesting though!
Personally, I like the Infernal Devices more. I think because of the time period, generall plot and characters who I'm absolulty in love with. They are both amzingly cool though! Have fun reading them!

message 19: by M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M. Nelleetnorb wrote: "Me and my friends agree that whatever series you read first you will prefere. Therefore I prefere TID but TMI is still fantastic. I like the victorian period it is set in as well. You can read both..."

I actually read TMI first and I prefer ID.

Deondra Sydney wrote: "I read all of TMI books, and then TID. I liked it that way because I was already familiar with the shadow hunter names and it was kind of exciting for me to read TID and notice all of the similarit..."

Totally agree! I also read TMI first, and appreciated already being familiar with the Shadow Hunters and Downworlders.

Ferdy Michelle wrote: I actually read TMI first and I prefer ID "

Yea, I'm the same..I thought TMI was quite good but nothing particularly special but with TID I was suprised by how much I loved it..the storyline and setting just drew me in..also the characters were so likable and in TMI I thought some of the characters were quite annoying and melodramatic whereas as Tessa/Will/Jem I found more mature & relatable and I felt they had more depth. To each their own I guess:)

Vanessa Infernal Devices. it is darker. but still funny. better story line. better characters. (but i still love Jace ♥) in Infernal Devices, you get strong characters. plus the time period, i've always wanted to wear Victorian clothes. hehe

message 23: by georgia (last edited Feb 17, 2012 05:54AM) (new)

georgia  -ωαт¢н ɱє fℓу- Deondra wrote: "For me they are both equally amazing, just in different ways :)"

yep, I agree totally. :) I love Jace but I think I love Will more :P

Sabrina I wrote this same discussion! haha well i have to say Infernal Devices is so much better I love the old victorian era and plus everyone was so much sweeter back then like a kiss on the hand was very romantic! <3
I love WIll TMI is good but i have a love 4 ID

message 25: by Michelle (last edited Feb 16, 2012 01:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michelle Knox Yeah I like the old school romance aspect too.......and I am also totally team Will.

message 26: by Marshanah (last edited Feb 19, 2012 11:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marshanah Both series are great. Just read both. For some reason, Will kinda reminds me of Jace in a weird way. Like a version of Jace years back. They're both hot,arrogant,funny,and in love with a girl someone else likes. But then there's the big difference that at least Will didn't think that Tessa was his sister for a time. Does anyone feel this way?

Anjali I love both, but because I enjoy History more than modernized books, I prefer the Infernal Devices better. Also I think the characters are more well described in this series. Though I would highly recommend both series's to anybody. Marshanah, I do agree with your comment of Jace being like Will.

Marshanah I know right? There from different times, but they're alike.

Nikki I LOVE both series equally actually. They're so different from each other, and the characters are so complex in both series. I read TMI before I read Clockwork Angel, though, and it worked out beautifully. Others told me Clockwork Angel was a prequel to TMI, but I only heard about Clockwork Angel after I had already started TMI. Both series aren't finished yet, and I dread the day they do finish :/

message 30: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily I love them both, but I would have to say the Infernal Devices. I like the plot better, and the characters. I know people will hate me for this, but Jace, for me at least, started to get annoying with his self-hatered, Will actually has a legit reason to be upset. Anyway, love them both, but I would have to say the Infernal Devices.

Libby Ive read the infernal devices and am currently reading city of bones.

message 32: by Marshanah (last edited Feb 21, 2012 06:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marshanah I've read the first three books of the Mortal Instruments series and the first two books of The Infernal Devices series, and I liked them both. I have to pick up where I left off at on The City of Fallen Angels! Can anyone tell me if it's good?

Grace The Mortal Instruments was SO MUCH BETTER than Infernal Devices.

Marshanah I like them both. I think they're equal in their story and character qualities. What do find bad about The Infernal Devices?

Kayla TMI was soooo good, but I like TID better.....Mostly because it has Will in it.

Michelle Knox Kayla wrote: "TMI was soooo good, but I like TID better.....Mostly because it has Will in it."

I know right! Gotta love the dark haired blue eyed angel/bad boy! !!!!

Marshanah Jace and Will are both gorgeous!

Alexa tmi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!tmi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marshanah The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

message 40: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara I think the Mortal Instruments, I loved that series so much and it touched me so far!
The infernal devices also is very good but it reminds me of TMI.
Jace <3

message 41: by Palak (Dust and Shadows) (last edited Feb 26, 2012 12:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Palak (Dust and Shadows) TMI makes you laugh.
ID makes you wanna rip your hair out at the suspense and the preposterous love triangle and laugh when a character does something terribly silly and go in and slap him when they do something rude.
Yeah... I like ID!!!!
GO INFERNAL DEVICES!!!

Miguel :Bookpanda: Both. but i like The Infernal Devices a little much more.

Jessica The Infernal Devices... one reason: JEM!

Margarita Izzy wrote: "I have read the 2 first books of The Mortal Instruments and I love them. But I am also interested in reading The Infernal Devices, so my question is: should I start reading TID of should I finish t..."

I can tell you that the stories sorta overlap each other. The fact that Jace Herondale is a decendent of WIlliam Herondale (infernal Devices) SPOILER!!OPPS!! And church the cat btw.

Margarita Sara wrote: "I think the Mortal Instruments, I loved that series so much and it touched me so far!
The infernal devices also is very good but it reminds me of TMI.
Jace <3"
NO wonder i like Jace!!He is a desendent of William Herondale (infernal devices) I wonder if Tessa is gonna have a baby with will in the end.Obiovously shes gonna live forever since shes a warlock.

Margarita Marshanah wrote: "Jace and Will are both gorgeous!"

Well yeah. Will is like the ancestor of Jace.

Margarita Michelle wrote: "Kayla wrote: "TMI was soooo good, but I like TID better.....Mostly because it has Will in it."

I know right! Gotta love the dark haired blue eyed angel/bad boy! !!!!"

You know Will is the ancestor of Jace right?just letting you know.

Margarita Jace wrote: "They are both AMAZING, but I think the Mortal Instruments are better!!! I just found them more interesting and...Jace is in them!!!!!"

Jace is a decendent of Will Herondale!!I like will better cuz he just seem more mature. The characters seem more mature.

Margarita Lily wrote: "I love them both, but I would have to say the Infernal Devices. I like the plot better, and the characters. I know people will hate me for this, but Jace, for me at least, started to get annoying w..."

Well, I have to agree with you. I like Will better because he is more mature than Jace, His future decendent. I like Jace too but not as much as i love Will.

Margarita Michelle wrote: "Nelleetnorb wrote: "Me and my friends agree that whatever series you read first you will prefere. Therefore I prefere TID but TMI is still fantastic. I like the victorian period it is set in as wel..."

Well my friend Maranda got me the infernal instruments first, well the first book anyways. I absolutly loved it. Its so fantastic and its different from what I usually tend to read. Anways, after i finished clockwork angel i wannted to read the ther series,the mortal instruments. I asked my friend Maranda if i could borrow her copy of City of bones and she said yes. RIght now im currently reading City of Bones and i am finding out a lot of things that sorta overlap with the other book. Like Magnugus Bane is in this series too, and Church the cat. I also found out that Jace is in fact a decendent of Will Herondale, from the TID. The only thing that I'm still bothered with is who Will has a kid with?Teresa?WHo knows. The only thing i found out is that Tessa lives forever so that means that Will, Jam, Charoellet and all the other characters won't have inmortal lives like Tessa and Bane.

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Clockwork Angel (other topics)