The Nexus discussion

ARCHIVES > The vampire novel of the century

Comments (showing 1-50 of 146) (146 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (last edited Feb 10, 2012 09:52PM) (new)

Midu Hadi | 5782 comments Mod
The Horror Writers Association has shortlisted six contenders – do they hit the right vein?

The nominees are:

'Salem's Lot by Stephen King by Stephen King
Soft Whisper of the Dead by Charles L. Grant by Charles L Grant
I am Legend by Richard Matheson by Richard Matheson
Anno Dracula (Anno Draculae #1) by Kim Newman by Kim Newman
Interview with the Vampire (Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Anne Rice by Anne Rice
Hotel Transylvania (Saint-Germain, #1) by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro

I've only read I am Legend and loved every bit of it. Which one's your favorite? And would you like to add to the list?

You can visit the link to see the rest of the article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/books...

Sheri | 1007 comments Mod
The only one I've read of these is Salem's Lot, and I loved it...of course, I love everything Stephen King has ever written, so... :)

I've seen the movies for I Am Legend and Interview with a Vampire.

message 3: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

I think I remember skimming through Salem's Lot.. I don't think it made an impression or I would have remembered it more clearly. You have to read I am Legend, Sheri. It is amazing!

Mindy Bolinger (sassycaligirl) | 29 comments My niece was supposed to be in Pet Cemetary, but she became sick after a few weeks of shooting and they replaced her. She had an awesome scream. I have to go with King. Only because I know who he is and that he enjoys scaring everyone.

message 5: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

Wow! Cool about your niece's almost appearing in the movie. :-)
2 for King then!

We had cat that looked and acted just like the cat from Pet Cemetary.

message 7: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

hehehe had?

Yeah, we had her for about 15 years. She was nice to us, but if we had company over we had to lock her in the laundry room or she would attack them :)

message 9: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

hehehe wow!

message 10: by Nikki , assmaster! (new)

Nikki  Peterson (NikkiTheBibliomaniac) | 1049 comments Mod
Church? Wasn't that the cat's name? I've only read Salem's Lot and Interview with the Vampire. Louis was my first Vamp crush after Dracula of course, LOL. I remember when I was a little kid that Salem's Lot scared the crap out of me and when I watched years later I laughed at it. The book is really good though.

Kristine Cayne (KristineCayne) | 70 comments I read Salem's Lot but it was so long ago, I can't remember it :( I didn't read the I Am Legend book, but I did see the movie. And hey! I thought they were zombies, LOL. The only other book in the list I've read is Anne Rice's Interview with a Vampire and since I think she began the current paranormal romance craze, she gets my vote :)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 406 comments Ashamed to say I've not read any of them :-(

message 13: by Nikki , assmaster! (new)

I feel the same way Kristine. When Twilight came out everyone was acting like it was something new and I was in the back waving my arms saying "Heeelllooooo, Interview with a Vampire....Anne Rice....Anybody?"

Jessa Callaver (jessa_callaver) | 4 comments For me, when it comes to vamps & the written word, there's Stoker, there's Rice, and then there's everyone else.

message 15: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

But Jessa, this IS the Stoker award, so he can't come play :-)

message 16: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (last edited Feb 11, 2012 12:15AM) (new)

And Nikki, read I am Legend. Anne Rice can never come close to that!

message 17: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

Fiona, read I am Legend. I can read it with ya! :-)

message 18: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

Kristine, the movie ones DO look like zombies.

message 19: by Nikki , assmaster! (new)

I liked the movie and do have it on my TBR list

Donna (adje8795) Stephen King gets my vote. Or, although it wasn't a choice, Ghost Story by Peter Straub. I must have read that book 25 years ago, and it has stuck with me through hundreds of other books. He painted a picture in my head that has never gone away - I is so hard to go outside in the dark because of this! Since Stephen chose to write a couple of books with Straub, it's a connection. But, of the ones given, I choose Salem's Lot.

Suzanne Rooyen (suzannevanrooyen) Lost Souls by Poppy Z Brite should be on that list!! :(

message 22: by Diane (last edited Feb 11, 2012 03:10AM) (new)

Diane (Dyniy) | 3 comments Salem's Lot most definately gets my vote. It was the 1st Vampire book I read. I gave it to a friend of mine to read and it upset her so much that she threw it in the fireplace & burned it!!!

message 23: by Ryan Zimmerman (last edited Feb 11, 2012 03:46AM) (new)

Ryan Zimmerman Carstairs (drcarstairs) | 10 comments Hmm, hard choice. I will cast my vote for “I am Legend” by Richard Matheson (if you have only seen the movies, ignore both “The Omega Man” with Carlton Heston and the Will Smith “I am Legend” version. I adore both actors, but both movies miss the mark entirely! The best, Hades the only version worth seeing is “The Last Man on Earth” with Vincent Price [which can be watched, for FREE at that, at YouTube - http://tinyurl.com/3rqy37c ]. Its not as good as the book, but its close). Anyway I like this one because it turns the whole Vampire thing about and around and it appeals to my twisted sense of irony.

And though that is my vote, I cannot in good conscious discount either King's or Rices works. Both are classics, both put new energy into the Vampire tales; and without them we wouldn’t have had Buffy or Twilight... okay, points against them on that one. And while I personally cannot read Rice (I love the woman but I cannot read her books. Something about them just bores the Hades out of me) there is little doubt about her talent, skill, and importance.

Now if you extend the time line and include books prior to the 20th century, my all-time favorite is Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (which can be read, also for free [You might notice a trend – I like free] from right hear at GoodReads - http://tinyurl.com/7gdbejc )

As for the others on the list, I cannot comment on them as I have not read them – yet! They are now on my prodigious 'To-Read' list (which is large and growing so fast I expect it will soon collapse in on its own weight and create a data singularity in which no even a bit can escape ;), along with the already-on the list a 'Ghost Story' by Peter Staub.

Thanks Midu, this was a great topic.

Be Well.

message 24: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

Suzanne, is the book scary vampire or sexy vampire?

message 25: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

Diane, I plan to follow Joey (from Friends) and store scary books in the freezer! hehe

message 26: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (last edited Feb 11, 2012 03:55AM) (new)

Ryan, thank you for taking out the time to comment. :-)

Gretchen Hummel (ghummel) | 1 comments Interview with the Vampire is my choice

message 28: by Tana, keeps deleting her nicknames! (new)

Tana (tana_t) | 3015 comments Mod
wow I haven't read any of those choices.

message 29: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

Tana, you know what comes next!! Add I am Legend to your TBR :-p

J.A. Beard (jabeard) | 654 comments It's a toss-up for me between I am Legend and Interview with the Vampire.

message 31: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

Finally someone else who likes I am Legend! :-)

Diana (Mrs. Barrons) (dashichka) | 371 comments I've only read Interview w/the Vampire, but Lestat was my first ever book boyfriend. I loved that book. I vote for that one.

message 33: by Tana, keeps deleting her nicknames! (new)

Tana (tana_t) | 3015 comments Mod
Midu does it count if I watch the movie LOL

message 34: by Jessa (last edited Feb 11, 2012 07:07AM) (new)

Jessa Callaver (jessa_callaver) | 4 comments Can't argue with that Midu lol =)
I've never read the book I Am Legend but I did see the film and I don't think the two (styles, authors etc) are comparable.

message 35: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

No!! hehehe but watch it for the sake of Will Smith! hehehe

message 36: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

:-)

Annalise Grey | 32 comments Interview with the Vampire, definitely.

Karen Zacharias (KarenZach) | 9 comments My last infatuation with a vampire ended with Barnabas and Dark Shadows.

message 39: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

I think Darren Shan books should be mentioned too.

message 40: by Nikki , assmaster! (new)

I would say Anita Blake Series.

Mallory Heart Reviews (Ever-Haunted_Ever-Reader) | 18 comments I agree with Donna: Peter Straub's Ghost Story is one for the ages. Of the list above, I've only read 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King and Interview with the Vampire (Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Anne Rice. Salem's Lot would be my choice hands-down; I've not read the others. I'm just getting back into vampires and shifters, so I'll have to expand my intake before suggesting others.:)

Justin (JustinBienvenue) Interview with the Vampire. Read it, reviewed it, loved it. Boom!

message 43: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

I am Legend! Read it, review it, love it! Boom!

Diana (Mrs. Barrons) (dashichka) | 371 comments I put all my weight behind Justin's choice :-)

message 45: by Nikki , assmaster! (new)

I'm behind anyone for Anne Rice. & LMAO @ Midu...

message 46: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

hehehe

message 47: by Sandy (last edited Feb 11, 2012 10:55AM) (new)

Sandy I have only read Salem's Lot by Stephen King. I hate to say this but I haven't read any vampire books besides this one which was a long time ago- I know!!! I would like to read one- a good one but which one is the best?? I hate to read a bad one and then I am turned off. I don't want a mussy love story either. I did read the The Vampire's Assistant and then the series by Darren Shan with my son when they came out years ago and I liked them.

message 48: by Midu, loves Ratatouille (new)

Me too. Did you read the whole series?

Anne Mikusinsi (abghostwriter) | 4 comments Interview with the Vampire is my pick.

Tracy Jones (tracyjamesjones) | 2 comments "Interview With The Vampire" will always be on my list. Love the Vampire Chronicles.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Interview with the Vampire (other topics)
Anno Dracula (other topics)
Hotel Transylvania (other topics)
'Salem's Lot (other topics)
The Soft Whisper of the Dead (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Darren Shan (other topics)