YA Paranormal and Fantasy Book lovers discussion

Book talk > Question -

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Evelyn Byrne | 1 comments I have a friend who is writing a YA paranormal series in an omniscient point-of-view. I explained that that it is not the POV most readers want to read. It is a great story, but there is no main POV. If it was published would you read it?

Pamela (WaterSpout) | 177 comments Usually, I would read any book depending on the story and not the POV so yeah, I'd probably read it. :) Also, I think omniscient would be a nice because it shows us the characters' individual opinion.

Alison | 234 comments I would be interested to read omniscient POV. I'd like to see how well the story translates without a main POV. First person POV can get a bit predictable and "safe" in the YA genre.

With the publishing world the way it is right now I encourage any writer to write what they want to write and how they want to write it. The public will always surprise you.

I am an author of a YA fantasy series. I wrote it aimed at teenage girls and have been totally blown away with the amount of male adults who contact me telling me how much they enjoy the story. In fact most of my readers have turned out to be adults, something I never saw happening, but obviously over the moon with.

So although your friend may be writing for the YA market, who may or may not enjoy an omniscient POV, she may end up finding a bigger audience with the adult market using that kind of POV.

Iola | 38 comments they should write in whatever style feels natural. theres nothing worse than having to think about what style your wirting in, it should just flow.

message 5: by Christina (last edited May 05, 2012 05:36PM) (new)

Christina (RegalLadySnow) Evelyn wrote: "I have a friend who is writing a YA paranormal series in an omniscient point-of-view. I explained that that it is not the POV most readers want to read. It is a great story, but there is no main PO..."

I would read it. I've actually read YA books in which it was done to some extent, and I really enjoyed them.

Lanie Jordan (Lanie_Jordan) | 5 comments I don't think I've ever actually read anything in that POV (at least nothing I remember). I'm kind of a picky reader, because I find it really hard to read anything that isn't 3rd person, and I only like 1st person past in YA books. But I'll admit I'm totally weird.

If that's what the story calls for, then it might work for her and/or the story. Maybe she could get a few beta readers now, to see how what they think?

Hope Welsh (Hope_Welsh3) | 2 comments Do you mean Strict or LIMITED? I'd think that would make a difference.

I like books that have varied POV--I'm afraid I head-hop when I write--kind of like James Patterson with the Max series.

message 8: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

Artemis | 4504 comments Mod
i don't mind when books change perspectives i think it gets annoying if there are to many side stories or to many different points of view for example the last few books of HoN Burned (House of Night, #7) by P.C. Cast

Caroline Gerardo (carolinegerardo) | 2 comments I would read it.
Another question for group, one I read/ chatted about today earlier. Do you think expletives in character dialogue are unacceptable? I don't mean cursing in the whole book, but say one character speaks with curse words. Thoughts?

message 10: by Iola (last edited May 30, 2012 04:29PM) (new)

Iola | 38 comments Caroline
i love it when characters curse in books it makes them seem more real and gritty. but maybe its just because all my friends curse nonstop and when a character says 'Frick' it seems unnatural.

message 11: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

Caroline wrote: "I would read it.
Another question for group, one I read/ chatted about today earlier. Do you think expletives in character dialogue are unacceptable? I don't mean cursing in the whole book, but say..."

Hmmmmm I think it has to do with the character and the writing style of the Author some books it would sound weird for the characters to cuss like in Wings (Wings, #1) by Aprilynne Pike other books it sounds more natural i think it depends... I also think if the Author is a really good writer they can right with out curse words and have the reader not notice that they are missing its when they try and supplement the curse word with a different more "disney" or "G rated" word that is sounds off and un-natural for example Zoey's lack of cussing in Marked (House of Night, #1) by P.C. Cast or Kylie in Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1) by C.C. Hunter in those books the lack of cussing sounded.... forced and unrealistic and more then a little lame

Juliann Whicker | 46 comments That's interesting "lack of cussing...sounded...forced and unrealistic" because you'd think the lack would be less noticeable. I think it's what you get used to reading. After reading Stephen King it takes a bit to switch to a female author with more delicate language;) (sexist. Men can have delicate language too:)

message 13: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

Juliann wrote: "That's interesting "lack of cussing...sounded...forced and unrealistic" because you'd think the lack would be less noticeable. I think it's what you get used to reading. After reading Stephen King ..."

what i mean is they take words out and replace them with other for example Zoey in Marked will say Bullpoopie instead of Bullsh*t i just think it sounds forced and it makes the lack of cussing more noticeable

Juliann Whicker | 46 comments Artemis wrote: "Juliann wrote: "That's interesting "lack of cussing...sounded...forced and unrealistic" because you'd think the lack would be less noticeable. I think it's what you get used to reading. After readi..."

BULLPOOPIE!!! I think that whole, cool almost cuss words thing, was the reason I didn't finish that book. LOL. I'd forgotten about that. You're right. That is truly a glaring example.

Brigitta {Percy Jackson Lover} I think cussing is fine, as long as it doesn't happen throughout the book. I hate it when people cuss for no good reason, other than just to cuss. It is really immature. But if the character is really angry or something bad just happened, then I don't really care if they do.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Burned (other topics)
Wings (other topics)
Marked (other topics)
Born at Midnight (other topics)