Stephen King Fans discussion

Just After Sunset
This topic is about Just After Sunset
Short Stories & Collections > Graduation Afternoon-JAS

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2183 comments Discuss this story below!

Julianne | 23 comments didn't get it. not sure what the point was. and what a terrible thought.....

Anybody notice a decent # of these stories took place in NY. Interesting, since King's stomping ground usually tends to be Maine

message 3: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2183 comments This to me was just a really quick read. Just goes to show one minute you think you have problems and then the next minute you REALLY have problems.

John P (ironhead) Yeah Angie I think that was King's point...no matter how rich and snotty you are, everyone is equal after the bomb. I think some of these stories in this collection appeared in the New Yorker, maybe thats why the New York theme.

Kelly (ksshadowfax99) | 21 comments I thought that this story was about what perhaps the people who lived in New York were thinking on 9/11. I thought it tactfully relayed possible thought processes in such a situation. A lot of people thought at first that the airplane into the buildings were instead bombs. I had read a review somewhere stating that there were several 9/11 related stories in Just After Sunset.

message 6: by dollmatic (new) - added it

dollmatic | 9 comments John wrote: "Yeah Angie I think that was King's point...no matter how rich and snotty you are, everyone is equal after the bomb. I think some of these stories in this collection appeared in the New Yorker, mayb..."

I concur, and like Kelly said, the story was reminiscent of 9/11. Everything that separated us was irrelevant in those following moments; we were all equally affected.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I came on here, expecting to ask "Huh?" I was kind of confused about the story until reading the comments here. I think now that it definitely paralleled 9-11. And Angie's point: "Just goes to show one minute you think you have problems and then the next minute you REALLY have problems." This story is definitely more that I got out of it initially.

Kandice | 2174 comments As far as his settings go, he has been spending a lot of time in Florida over the last few years, so FL shows up a lot. New York is where he has said he generally has his big publishing pow-wows, so I bet he writes these when he is on one of those trips, or soon after.

unread topics | mark unread