Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion


553 views
Voldemort, Snape, and Harry Potter=The Peverell brothers?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 70) (70 new)    post a comment »

Klymene I don't know if this has already been posted, but I just found it on Facebook.

description

It's known that Harry is descended from Ignotus Peverell. And, according to the Harry Potter Wiki, Voldemort is descended from Cadmus Peverell. Is it possible that Snape is also descended from one of them? I'd like to think that he's also from Cadmus because Cadmus is the one that died from lost love (or whatever). I think it would have worked out better if Voldemort had been descended from The Peverell with the wand.

Anyways, what do you guys think of the analogy?


Morgane I've seen this already, but the second brother is obviously Dumbledore for me. He knew the Hallows (not Snape), wanted the Stone most of all (after his sister's death and the loss of his parents), and died from his greed (the curse contained in it ended up killing him).
Though I definitely see why people can think of Snape, he had no connection to the Hallows whatsoever, never tried to bring Lily back nor to cheat Death. But Voldemort, Dumbledore and Harry tried respectively to be the most powerful and therefore immortal, to bring back the dead to life, and to hide from death, and they all possessed the respective Hallows at some given time during the series. Voldemort had the Elder Wand and died because of it because someone else became its master, like for the first brother. Dumbledore got the Stone and organized his own death (very much like a suicide) because of his failure with the Hallow, like the second brother. Harry refused the first two Hallows, and only kept the Invisibility Cloak, until he removed it in the Forest to welcome Death. Which made him the Master of Death : the one who accepts it.


Ciara *I love Harry Potter!* Hmm. It's hard to believe that Snape is one of them. It would mean he is a very distant relative of Harry's, doesn't it? I agree with Morgane, Dumbledore is more likely to be related to Harry, anyway.

In the tale of three brothers, the youngest brother handed down his Cloak, and greeted Death as equals;old friends, even. Harry did that too; he accepted Death and did not use his Cloak to hide himself away any longer. Voldemort; I imagine him having the Elder Wand; he was power-hungry. And Dumbledore must have had the Stone, as he lost loved ones, friends. He also was in talks with Grindewald, showing Muggles who's boss.

As Morgane said, Dumbledore arranged his own death, which connects with the Stone. Only J.K Rowling, will really know the answer.


Kressel Housman Great stuff!


Ryan Osborn Ciara wrote: "Hmm. It's hard to believe that Snape is one of them. It would mean he is a very distant relative of Harry's, doesn't it? I agree with Morgane, Dumbledore is more likely to be related to Harry, anyw..." watch...J.K problt didnt think this deep in to it. it takes a fan for that to happen


Morgane Ciara wrote: "Hmm. It's hard to believe that Snape is one of them. It would mean he is a very distant relative of Harry's, doesn't it? I agree with Morgane, Dumbledore is more likely to be related to Harry, anyw..."

It's even more than that : Voldemort DID have the Elder wand and Dumbledore DID have the Stone. It's interesting that you say they'd be related, maybe they are, like Voldemort and Harry with the Peverell brothers. But I guess they can still represent the three brothers and their actions, without being their descendants.


Megan doveton i really hope Dumbledore is related to harry(he already acted as one of harrys father figures.) but like someone said earlier Voldermort was related to the one who had the resurrection stone.but i love the way j.k rowling made it so that its up to our interpretation. we can make a story inside the story that she never thought about


Nazzy Dumbledore also died for love didn't he? He died trying to save all those that he loved, those at Hogwarts, the Wizarding World by destroying the Horcruxes? He also lost the people he loved, his family. I don't know it appeals to both Snape and Dumbledore...


Ezra good point everyone


Paige Neller Even though Snape did die for lost love, so did Dumbledore, and Dumbledore did have the stone.. So really, I'm not sure if I would put Snape or Dumbledore to be one of the three.


Tanvi Um... guys, the descendents from the 2 Peverells, the one with the stone and the one with the cloak, could have passed on their Hallows as legacies. But can the same be said about the Elder Wand...? Because as I know, a person has to win it from his predecessor, which entitles killing, in order to truly own the wand...
Do you think every son would have killed his father for the and until it reached Voldemort? And Tom Riddle the father was a muggle, so the wand should have come from the mother, right...?

But if Voldemort IS descended from Cadmus, I think the coincidence is pretty amazing...


Morgane Tanvi wrote: "Um... guys, the descendents from the 2 Peverells, the one with the stone and the one with the cloak, could have passed on their Hallows as legacies. But can the same be said about the Elder Wand......"

You're right about the succession of the wand, it's the only one you cannot give as a legacy to someone. I think Jo said that the Peverell brothers did exist a very very long time ago, and indeed, Harry and Voldemort are two of their descendants, but every wizard family is connected at one point or another in the History of magic, they are all the descendants of a few wizards.


Tanvi Morgane wrote: "Tanvi wrote: "Um... guys, the descendents from the 2 Peverells, the one with the stone and the one with the cloak, could have passed on their Hallows as legacies. But can the same be said about the..."

Hmm... Imagine JKR developing this entire friggin family tree...


Orlaith Tanvi wrote: Hmm... Imagine JKR developing this entire friggin family tree...

You never know, she could have it! She has said in interviews that she has notebooks full of extra information about the characters that never got into the books and that she never intended to put in, but it was just to help her get to know the characters better.


Tanvi Orlaith wrote: "Tanvi wrote: Hmm... Imagine JKR developing this entire friggin family tree...

You never know, she could have it! She has said in interviews that she has notebooks full of extra information about ..."


I know... Have heard of it. Imagine laying hands on JKR's personal notes... Or rather, getting into JKR's head!!! Gosh...


Chelsea Paige wrote: "Even though Snape did die for lost love, so did Dumbledore, and Dumbledore did have the stone.. So really, I'm not sure if I would put Snape or Dumbledore to be one of the three."

Dumbledore didn't die for the kind of love that is in the story of the Three Brothers, and he ultimately sacrificed himself for the cause, for defeating the Dark Lord!


Amanda Wow I never thought of this before but that is amazing how they mirrored each other like that.



http://divaliciouzbookreviews.blogspo...


Klymene Oh, I bet all the extra info is in Pottermore! I can't wait to get that site!

I think I like the idea of Dumbledore as the one who died for love, instead of Snape. It makes much more sense... Snape never had possession of any of the Deathly Hallows, while Dumbledore had touched all of them at least once.


message 19: by Habz (new) - added it

Habz wow that is so brilliant.
I think even though Snape might not be a direct peverell, the ideology and representation of it is really cool and deep!!!


Ciara *I love Harry Potter!* Morgane wrote: "Ciara wrote: "Hmm. It's hard to believe that Snape is one of them. It would mean he is a very distant relative of Harry's, doesn't it? I agree with Morgane, Dumbledore is more likely to be related ..."
Yes! You see, the children of each of the Peverell brothers would be cousins, so it would mean that, if Harry and Dumbledore were both desendants, they would be cousins! (Or else some other relation).

But Snape did die for love, in a way. He died loving Lily, but he didn't die to save her. He asked Dumbledore to help them, but again, he never died to save her, even if he would have. And Dumbledore lost loved ones, but I don't think he actually died for any of them, either, even if he would have if he had the choice. That's just what I think. :)


rivka Ciara wrote: "He died loving Lily, but he didn't die to save her."

No, but he essentially died to save her son.


Morgane Ciara wrote: "Morgane wrote: "Ciara wrote: "Hmm. It's hard to believe that Snape is one of them. It would mean he is a very distant relative of Harry's, doesn't it? I agree with Morgane, Dumbledore is more likel..."

You're right, they both died longing for their loved ones, but Dumbledore died BECAUSE of his dead and the desire he had to bring them back. Snape died because Voldemort murdered him for the Elder wand. Dumbledore died because he wanted to use the Stone and did. Voldemort died because he used the Wand. That's what happened to the Peverells also.
Now I perfectly agree that Snape had a lost love and that his story is tragic and all of that, but as far as the Peverell parallel goes, it still is Voldemort-Dumbledore-Harry for me. Maybe people see Snape as being one of them because it was the woman he was in love with who died (like for the 2nd brother), and for Dumbledore it was his family. But Snape never knew about the Hallows and never pursued them. That whole parallel works because Voldemort, Dumbledore and Harry ALL died because of an Hallow (Harry uncovered himself from the Cloak-even if he came back).
PS. I'm not being snappy or anything, I'm just being passionate because I love to talk about HP with people who know the books very well. Same thing happen when I'm with my friends, but I wanted to make that clear since the internet is not obvious with the tone people uses :)


rivka Morgane wrote: "Snape died because Voldemort murdered him for the Elder wand."

I think you're narrowing the focus too much. Why was Snape posing as a Death Eater, which directly led to him having the Elder Wand, and thus being killed for it?

Because his love for Lily inspired him to save her son -- despite the risk to his life, and to his soul.


message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Megan wrote: "i really hope Dumbledore is related to harry(he already acted as one of harrys father figures.) but like someone said earlier Voldermort was related to the one who had the resurrection stone.but i ..."

I can see Harry being related to Harry. Esp b/c of the whole Grodric's Hollow. (The graves of the bros., they both lived there ...) And wouldn't be a little weird if James (or Lily???) and Snape were distantly related too. If anything I think Dumbledore, Volemort, and Harry. But the connection (with the love thing) don't match up as well, so I can believe Snape or Dumbledore.


Morgane rivka wrote: "Morgane wrote: "Snape died because Voldemort murdered him for the Elder wand."

I think you're narrowing the focus too much. Why was Snape posing as a Death Eater, which directly led to him having ..."


Oh definitely, he died because he pretended to be a Death Eater to save Harry and permit him to destroy Voldemort, I perfectly agree with this. But he never had the Wand, nor the Stone, and Voldy and Albus did, that's all I'm saying.


rivka He had physical possession of the wand for at least a brief time.


Morgane rivka wrote: "He had physical possession of the wand for at least a brief time."

I don't remember that... :/ But it still wasn't the Stone ;)


message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Voldemort was never the master of the wand either.


message 29: by georgia (new)

georgia  -ωαт¢н ɱє fℓу- wow, this is really cool :)


Klymene Sam wrote: "Voldemort was never the master of the wand either."

But the point is that he pursued it. That's the connection between the three.

Hmmm, if we look at King's Cross as the doors of death, the halfway point, then the three of them were there at the same time, when Harry and Dumbledore chatted naked.


Morgane Kylaia (Formerly known as Klymene) wrote: "Sam wrote: "Voldemort was never the master of the wand either."

But the point is that he pursued it. That's the connection between the three.

Hmmm, if we look at King's Cross as the doors of deat..."


I love everything you wrote ! I had never thought about that before ! They all meet the way the Hallows and Horcruxes left them : Dumbledore dead, Voldemort in this tortured state and Harry with a choice *v*


Kamalika ITS EXTREMELY CONFUSING.ONLY THE WRITER WOULD KNOW THE CORRECT ANSWER


Klymene And where is said writer?


Ciara *I love Harry Potter!* "Ciara wrote: "He died loving Lily, but he didn't die to save her."

No, but he essentially died to save her son."

That's right, but think about it- he loved Lily, and supposedley held a grudge about Harry because he hated James. He didn't die to save Harry exactly, though, he gave him a tear which contained his memories so that he would understand his love for Lily and about Dumbledore and how the death was planned.

Harry cared about and understood Snape after he saw the memories, thus naming his son Albus Severus Potter.

So, would Snape have owned any other Hallow? No. Draco was the owner of the wand after he disarmed Dumbledore before his death. So, Snape never owned the wand.

But how did Voldemort come across the Wand? It never belonged to him. He took it from Dumbledore's grave, so Dumbledore must have owned the Wand! It never truly belonged to Voldemort.

But, here's something to consider- if Dumbledore is the owner of the Ressurection Stone, he would be a few generations older than Harry. In the sixth film, they mention his age...100-and-something. So, now that Dumbledore is dead, that means that the brother owning the Stone's ancestors are almost completely gone. As far as we know, Aberforth is the last remaining Dumbledore.

I'm sorry my comment is so long, thanks for reading it!


message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Ciara wrote: ""Ciara wrote: "He died loving Lily, but he didn't die to save her."

No, but he essentially died to save her son."

That's right, but think about it- he loved Lily, and supposedley held a grudg..."


The question is, did Dumbledore or Aberforth have kids.


Klymene Of course they didn't! According to JK Rowling, Dumbledore was gay, and Aberforth seemed to be a loner to an extreme. If they had gotten married, or had kids, I'm sure it would have been in the books. I guess, in essence, Dumbledore chose Harry to be his heir, in more ways than one. He chose harry to find the Horcruxes and to have the Resurrection stone


Ciara *I love Harry Potter!* That's true, but did Harry have the Resurrection Stone? He did choose to send Harry after the Horcruxes, but that was to save Harry, so he would be able to have the chance to destroy Voldemort. He could have gone after them himself, but then Harry wouldn't know about Horcruxes at all. Think about it- in the final book, when Harry sees Snape's memories, Dumbledore knew he was dying since the Half-Blood Prince. Therefore, he knew he would not find and destroy all of the Horcruxe in time. So he didn't exactly choose Harry, he had to tell him about Horcruxes, otherwise he wouldn't know how to possibly destroy Voldemort.

And the answer to Sam's question is no, neither Dumbledore or Aberforth had kids. Kylaia's latest comment explains that.


Ciara *I love Harry Potter!* Morgane wrote: "Ciara wrote: "Morgane wrote: "Ciara wrote: "Hmm. It's hard to believe that Snape is one of them. It would mean he is a very distant relative of Harry's, doesn't it? I agree with Morgane, Dumbledore..."

But Dumbledore didn't die because he was
driven mad with longing like the second brother. Remember Snape's memory (see my last comment) , he died because he had been wearing the ring, I think, because Snape said 'I could have given you more time!' And also, Dumbledore was quite old, to be fair. His hand turned black with the poison the ring contained.I can't be sure, but that's my view on it, anyway. :)


Stephen Morgane wrote: "I've seen this already, but the second brother is obviously Dumbledore for me. He knew the Hallows (not Snape), wanted the Stone most of all (after his sister's death and the loss of his parents), ..."

Dumbledore didn't die, because of his greed! He says that he was tempted to wear the ring, because he wanted to apologize to his sister and parents. Perhaps, he died of guilt, in that he wanted to relieve his conscience. He lusted after power as a young man, paid a terrible price for that, and lived a completely different life after that.


message 40: by Ciara *I love Harry Potter!* (last edited Feb 26, 2012 02:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ciara *I love Harry Potter!* Ahh, but the ring is a Horcrux, it can't bring people back from the dead, can it? He didn't die of guilt, though I assume he did feel guilty. He died because of the ring, which he wore for safe keeping, I think, and it contained "poison."


Stephen No, the ring was the Resurrection stone and he tried to use it to bring back his sister and parents, as Harry did with his parents, Sirius and Lupin. Voldemort had cursed it, so that anyone who touched it would die.

He tells Snape that he was sorely tempted by the ring, which Snape doesn't understand. Later, at King's Cross, he tells Harry that he wanted to ease his conscience by apologizing to his family. He says that it would have been wrong, or not as good a reason as why Harry did it, but it certainly was for safe keeping or for greed as the earlier poster claimed.


Ciara *I love Harry Potter!* True. Like the locket, the ring had been cursed by Voldemort.

But I'm not sure it was for greed that Dumbledore kept the ring, exactly. Yes, he did want to apologize to his family, and he was tempted, but I think he was too worried that anyone would find/steal the ring from him and so he kept it safe, which yes, I suppose made him greedy in a way. But when it was out of love of his family (and because he felt guilty) that he kept the ring, that much I could understand.

But that brings us back to what I mentioned earlier; Dumbledore had the Wand at one point, didn't he? So if Voldemort made the ring/stone a Horcrux, then did he inherit it or steal it? Did it truly belong to Dumbledore, or did he just find the Horcrux (that's what I assume)?

And if Dumbledore was to destroy the ring/stone, that would mean there would only be two Deathly Hallows as the Stone would be destroyed! What do you think?


message 43: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field This discussion is amazing. I love it, and it's thanks to JKR to putting so much thought into back story that we can have it. The only book I can think of that compares is the Lord of the Rings.
My view is that Harry died for love. he died for the love of the magical world that had completely replaced the crappy family and muggle world life he had before he started at Hogwarts.


Ciara *I love Harry Potter!* I agree with J.D. In one sense, he was thankful for the wizarding world, his friends. He didn't want any more deaths, so he decided to hand himself over to Voldemort to prevent any more deaths. He showed great bravery and cared for his friends.

J.K Rowling is, in my opinion, the best author I have ever come across. Harry Potter is also in my opinion, the best series/films I have ever come across. It's amazing to see every-one having their opinion on this topic!


Ciara *I love Harry Potter!* CONCLUSION ALERT!

OK. So Maybe, the desendant of the Elder Wand is never mentioned. Remember the story? Some-one murdered the first Peverell brother, making the Elder Wand his.

So, even if some-one owned the Elder Wand, they might not be related to the Peverells in any way! Let me know what you think.


Ciara *I love Harry Potter!* And, on Harry Potter facts online, which may not be true, of course, it says Dumbledore owned all three Deathly Hallows. But he can only have inherited one, if any. See my most recent post.


Ciara *I love Harry Potter!* Does anybody agree with my theories?


Nicole ♥ Wow Discussion ♥ A debate of sort. Except it's not face-to-face.

I agree that maybe Dumbledore is a decendant of the Second Preverell. ♥


Nicole ♥ That's all I think, for now. *needs to recharge*


message 50: by Micaela (last edited Jul 05, 2012 06:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Micaela Throughout the book I thought that Harry was a decendent of the last bro because of the whole cloke thing but it would be hard for someone to be decendents of the other two bros cuz the second dies and the girl he had hoped to marry was dead then for the elder wand his owner died and it didnt say anything about him haveing a kid Im not saying its impossible but from the story he doesnt seem like the type to have a kid. If anyone was the decendent of the second bro then I would think that it would be Nicolas Flamel because he did have the stone and what could have happened is after the secound bro killed himself his child came and got the stone and now all of the decendents have unnaturally long life.

One thing that I have learned is never trust any sites where anyine can edit them someone could have wanted to make it more intresting and say of Voldemort is a decendent of one of the Peverell bros. I personally find that hard to belive because while reading The Tsles of the Three Brothers it made it seem like only one had a child.


« previous 1
back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (other topics)