Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2012! > Lola's 50+ books on 2012

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lola (last edited Jan 04, 2013 08:15AM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments Here I come Goodreads, this is my third year in the challenge and I'm as excited as the first. Hopefully I will make it as well as I did last year. This year the reading challenge is 50 books.

Let's get started...

1.- A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin by George R.R. Martin

Finished on January 28th

4.5 stars

Besides the rough beginning I had with this book, I really liked it, mainly cause it was far different from what I was expecting, in a good way.

2.- Glimmer by Phoebe Kitanidis by Phoebe Kitanidis

Finished on Januanry 29th

4 stars

This book is really good and the fact is, that it will keep you at the edge of your seat almost through all the reading, and it does have a nice moral in it...or at least it had for me.

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments 3.- Paranormalcy by Kiersten White by Kiersten White

Finishen on February 4th

3 stars

I really had a good time reading this one so I'm giving a chance to the next one.

message 3: by Lola (last edited Mar 12, 2012 01:33PM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments 4.- Inheritance (Inheritance, #4) by Christopher Paolini by Christopher Paolini

Finished on February 8th

2.5 stars

This book is definitely my least favorite of all the series, which is really sad cause I waited a lot of it.

5.- Supernaturally (Paranormalcy, #2) by Kiersten White by Kiersten White

Finished on February 9th

2.5 stars

I'm not the biggest fan of this series but I'm willing to see what comes next.

6.- Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman by Neil Gaiman

Finished February 13th

5 stars

This is the type of stories I would like to read to the kids I'll have some time in the future.

message 4: by Lola (last edited Mar 12, 2012 10:20AM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments 7.- The Iron Queen (Iron Fey, #3) by Julie Kagawa by Julie Kagawa

Finished on February 20th

4 stars

Nice comeback Meghan!!!

8.- Summer's Crossing (Iron Fey, #3.5) by Julie Kagawa by Julie Kagawa

Finished February 21st

3 stars

Though it's only a short book, it's a pretty cool way to connect one book from the series to the other.

message 5: by Lola (last edited Mar 12, 2012 11:39AM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments 9.- Sabotaged (The Missing, #3) by Margaret Peterson Haddix by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Finished March 4th

2.5 stars

I think that for me this would be all of the Missing series. I refuse to continue reading, endless and sensless series.

10.- The Iron Knight (Iron Fey, #4) by Julie Kagawa by Julie Kagawa

Finished March 5th

5 stars

The Iron Fey is a must read series if you like fantasy, adventures, cats and faeries; specially since this faeries are not like any other faeries you had ever seen!!

message 6: by Lola (last edited Mar 14, 2012 02:50PM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments 11.- Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill by Joe Hill

Finished March 13th

5 stars

I can say that the influence of Stephen King is undeniable but, I think that the author made a great job all by his own,and I'll be looking forward to read more stories by Joe Hill in the future

Lindsey | 299 comments Lola wrote: "11.- Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill by Joe Hill

Finished March 13th

5 stars

I can say that the influence of Stephen King is undeniable but, I think that the author made..."

Have you read his other novel, Horns, or his short-story book (20th Century Ghosts)? I like both of those better than Heart-Shaped Box. However, now that I've read those, I might have to re-visit this one to see if I like it better.

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments Lindsey wrote: "Lola wrote: "11.- Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill by Joe Hill

Finished March 13th

5 stars

I can say that the influence of Stephen King is undeniable but, I think that the auth..."

I have added 20th Century Ghosts to my to read list but still haven´t read it and I'm thinking on adding Horns too, I did like the style of his writting and I really appreciate your recommendation as well.

message 9: by Lola (last edited Mar 26, 2012 05:05PM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments 12.- If I Die (Soul Screamers, #5) by Rachel Vincent by Rachel Vincent

Finished March 15th

4 stars

This is one of those books I would love to hate or I hate to love.

13.- Dream Dark (Caster Chronicles, #2.5) by Kami Garcia by Kami Garcia

Finished March 15th

3 stars

Though it's too short I think is a good way to stay in touch with the series...

14.- Fever (The Chemical Garden, #2) by Lauren DeStefano by Lauren DeStefano

Finished March 15th

3.5 stars

I have the feeling that something is missing here but maybe Lauren DeStefano did it on purpose and I´ll will have to wait for the next book to find out.

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments 15.- BZRK by Michael  Grant by Michael Grant

Finished March 25th

5 stars

One of the most original books I have read in years.

No vampires, no werewolves, no whinny  boyfriend-centered teenage girls. Instead we got microscopic spiders that willl run up your nose all the way into your brain and an amazing heroine with a huge pair of b… biots.

message 11: by Lola (last edited Apr 11, 2012 01:49PM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments 16.- Beautiful Chaos (Caster Chronicles, #3) by Kami Garcia by Kami Garcia

Finished March 29th

3 stars

I'm still hoping for something spectacular as the first book, maybe next time.

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments 17.- Magyk (Septimus Heap, #1) by Angie Sage by Angie Sage

Finished April 7th

4 stars

Definitelly a series I will continue.

message 13: by Lola (last edited Apr 25, 2012 05:07PM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments 18.- Fear (Gone, #5) by Michael  Grant by Michael Grant

Finished april 14th

5 Stars

I feel quite satisfied with the answers I got from this book.

19.- Anna Karenina (Centennial Edition) by Leo Tolstoy by Leo Tolstoy

Finished April 25th

3.5 stars

I hope Mr Tolstoy won't come back to and haunt me for saying this, but reading this book was like watching a really good movie with a lot of comercials.

message 14: by Lola (last edited May 14, 2012 09:59AM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments 20.- The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry by Brunonia Barry

Finished May 2nd

5 stars

A most read of you like complex stories with unexpected endings.

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments 21.- Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica RothbyVeronica Roth

Finished May 14th

3 stars

This is one of those books that is hard for me to decide if I should continue with the series or not, cause I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either.

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments 22.- The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa by Julie Kagawa

Finished May 20th

5 stars

I can´t wait for next book and of course the movie!!!

message 17: by Lola (last edited May 31, 2012 02:48PM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments 23.- American Gods by Neil Gaiman by Neil Gaiman

Finished May 29th

5 stars

I think this is a book that everybody should read at least once in you life.

24.- Hereafter (Hereafter, #1) by Tara Hudson by Tara Hudson

Finished May 31th

2 stars

Just ok, I don’t hate it nor I love it, but it’s definitely a series I will not continue.

message 18: by Lola (last edited Jul 09, 2012 01:38PM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments 25.- 666 Park Avenue (666 Park Avenue, #1) by Gabriella Pierce by Gabriella Pierce

Finished June 6th

3 stars

It’s a pity that the TV show is not really going to follow the plot.

26.- Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi by Veronica Rossi

Finished June 12th

5 stars

In a few words you like dystopian books this is definitely worth the while.

27.- Bitterblue (Graceling Realm, #3) by Kristin Cashore by Kristin Cashore

Finished June 13th

5 stars

If you like the previous two, you have to read this one and you won't regret it.

28.- Switch by Carol Snow by Carol Snow

Finished June 17th

2.5 stars

I found the storya bit shallow for my taste.

message 19: by Lola (last edited Aug 08, 2012 01:16PM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments 29.- Apartment 16 by Adam Nevill by Adam Nevill

Finished June 18th

2 stars

I was really disappointed at the end.

30.- Thirteen Days to Midnight by Patrick Carman by Patrick Carman

Finished June 24th

3 stars

I did like the book mostly towards the end, but I do recommend some parental guidance with it expecially with young readers.

31.- The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester by Victoria Forester

Finished July 4th

3 stars

I liked the book and it does had a moral at the end so it was definitely worth the reading

32.- Princess Academy (Princess Academy, #1) by Shannon Hale by Shannon Hale

Finished July 11th

4 stars

For short ,this is not a common princes tale, it's a story about friendship, loyalty and love, that is worth to be read.

33.- The Pillars of the Earth  (The Pillars of the Earth, #1) by Ken Follett by Ken Follett

Finished July 16th

5 stars

For sure one of the most amazing books I’ve read this year.

message 20: by Lola (last edited Sep 20, 2012 02:46PM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments 34.- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman by Neil Gaiman

Finished July 26th

5 stars

Now after a second reading I´m still liking it a lot.

35.- Feed (Newsflesh, #1) by Mira Grant by Mira Grant

Finished July 29th

5 stars

Definitely a must read if you are looking for something amazingly different

36.- Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion by Isaac Marion

Finished July 31th

1 stars

This is not a zombie story and as a romance it totally sucked even when it´s so obviously based Romeo and Juliet.

37.- Redshirts by John Scalzi by John Scalzi

Finished August 6th

5 stars

For me this was my first Scalzi´s book, but for sure there will be more in the future.

message 21: by Lola (last edited Dec 04, 2012 07:53PM) (new)

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments 38.- Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy, #2) by Mira Grant by Mira Grant

Finished August 21st

5 stars

Though at the end things started turning to Resident Evil for me it is still a great second part.

39.- Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3) by Mira Grantby Mira Grant

Finished August 29st

5 stars

Newsflesh Trilogy is an amazing series, one of the best I've read and definitely in the top ten of what I've read this year.

40.- A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) by George R.R. Martin by George R.R. Martin

Finished September 3rd

3 stars

41.- Shades of Gray by Andy Holloman by Andy Holloman

Finished September 11th

3 stars

I´ve to say I really didn´t like the ending, but as a whole it did worth the reading.

flag

42.- Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth by Veronica Roth

Finished September 20th

3 stars

This is one of those series that even though I'm not feeling trapped by it I do really want to know where it ends.

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments 43.- Infinity (Chronicles of Nick, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Finished September 28th

4 stars

44.- Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman by Neil Gaiman

Finished September 28th

5 stars

45.- Invincible (Chronicles of Nick, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Finished October 9th

4 stars

46.- Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger by Audrey Niffenegger

Finished October 29th

4 stars

47.- The Throne of Fire (Kane Chronicles, #2) by Rick Riordan by Rick Riordan

Finished October 29th

4 stars

48.- The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, #3) by Dan Brown by Dan Brown

Finished November 23th

4 stars

49.- The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan by Rick Riordan

Finished December 2nd

4 stars

50.- The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) by Rick Riordan by Rick Riordan

Finished December 10th

3 stars

51.- The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3) by Rick Riordan by Rick Riordan

Finished December 20th

4 stars

Lola (LoliQ) | 132 comments I made it!! Second day in a row!! I hope the third time will be a charm.