Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > Where do you get your news?

Comments (showing 1-38 of 38) (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments What do you consider a reliable news source? Where do you get your news?

I rarely watch the tv news (but I do own a tv, Isaiah:)). Wait, no, I take that back. I watch Robin Meade on CNN while I work out in the morning. But other than Robin Meade's Headline News show I rarely watch tv news. The local news is awful...senseationalist fearmongering 90% of the time. And I just don't care about the network news.

I check CNN online sometimes and check the local newspaper website online, too.

But I get most of my news from the newspaper. I read the local newspaper pretty much cover to cover and sometimes get the NY Times, too. I love newspapers, although I wouldn't be surprised if they disappear in a couple decades That would bum me out.

I also listen to NPR on the way back and forth from work. If the story annoys me I turn it off. But NPR news, esp. through the election, was pretty good.

And...you?

Shelly Yeah, NPR is good. I found that during the election PBS was a good non-biased, non-bullshit news source. And our local PBS carries BBC news, which is always good.

Arminius | 978 comments I catch 20 minutes of CNN in the morning. I listen to the news on the radio, peruse Newspapers online, sometimes catch Bill O' Rielly and sometimes Cambell Brown at night.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

The Onion.

dara Word of mouth.
LOLZ.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I try to get as little news as possible. I'm not really interested in the world anymore. Let it fuck itself over.

People who are newshounds usually bore me.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (last edited Nov 29, 2008 07:18PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments You get the NY Times delivered to your house, and I'm jealous, motherfucker.

Although I agree with you on newshounds.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Most days I end up skimming, reading the Arts section, and doing the crossword.

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (MrsNolte) | 17267 comments Mod
Sometimes I get the news from you people.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I read my local paper and sometimes Newsweek, and I listen to NPR every morning while I get ready for work. After work, I like to watch the Rachel Maddow show on MSNBC.
I check Google News on breaks at work for the top stories.

When I remember to, I watch Meet the Press on Sundays, and sometimes The McLaughlin Group. John McLaughlin cracks me up!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I listen to OPB (NPR, PRI or BBC, mainly).

message 12: by Lori (Hellian) (last edited Dec 01, 2008 09:11PM) (new)

Lori (Hellian) My first choice is BBC, then I constantly check Yahoo and Google News through the day. Used to support and listen to NPR all the time, I stopped last spring, I got so tired of all the Presidential stuff. Now I'm out of the habit.

Julie | 568 comments King D- I also love getting my news from Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert.
Sure, it is not the only way, maybe not the best way, but it is the most entertaining way to get it.
Why not be entertained? The jokes they make just remind me of jokes my friends and I would make about the same subjects.
Feels like I am just at a party talking to like-minded people who don't have to censor themselves.

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Welcome to the board, Julie...

message 15: by Kirk (last edited Dec 02, 2008 05:01AM) (new)

Kirk | 154 comments From FOX---where else?

[image error]

Jude (jude42) cable-free. Jon Stewart faithfully on-line ( & sometimes Colbert), with a smattering of Truthdig. The Nation, the Progressive and Harpers print. NPR some drive time am but faithfully Wait WAit Don't Tell Me and On the Media. Nina T's Supreme Court coverage still the best drive-by summaries on the planet. Also occassionally Amy Goodman's Democracy Now on car radio.

message 17: by Kelly (last edited Dec 02, 2008 06:21AM) (new)

Kelly That Bill O'Reilly picture is perfection. I can't believe Colbert hasn't made fun of it yet. :)

I generally get my news online: NYTimes, Politico, the BBC, Washington Post, and the Huffington Post. I tend to read all of those daily. I also watch Olbermann and CNN a couple of times a week, but honestly until CNN removes Wolf Blitzer's creepy, robotically omnipresent self from the screen, I'm going to have issues with them. John King's magic screen is fun. Try to catch the Daily Show/Colbert when I can. I'm trying to get into NPR now, downloading podcasts and such.

message 18: by Jude (last edited Dec 02, 2008 07:49AM) (new)

Jude (jude42) KELLY!!! Colbert has had him ON HIS SHOW!!!! it is to die.
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colb...

message 19: by David (last edited Dec 03, 2008 07:02PM) (new)

David Katzman (DavidDavid) I have been reading The Nation magazine for about 20 years. It's the oldest weekly news magazine. And i skim Yahoo News and recently Huffington Post every couple of days. I used to read SmirkingChimp.com but got lazy on that.

Julie | 568 comments Thanks for the welcome RA.

message 21: by Lobstergirl (last edited Sep 03, 2012 01:11AM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments For daily news I look at the Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, sometimes the New York Times. Most days I look at Google News and click on a few stories. Very occasionally I'll see what video clips are up at the PBS Newshour. Once in awhile I'll look at Slate, and also the Guardian (British paper). A few sites that I used to frequent have been so redesigned that they turned me off, like Salon, and I never go there anymore. Ten years ago Salon was a really great site.

For short political stories I look at TPM (Talking Points Memo). For media coverage I look at the blog Daily Howler. For the most honest political coverage I look to Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. For really old coverage I read the New Yorker (I'm behind on issues).

I also follow whatever links look interesting. For example, something led me to an article I have open now on The Atlantic, "Fear of a Black President."

I am TV-less, but when I had TV I would routinely watch the whole PBS Newshour (if I got home in time), sometimes even the network evening news. But I haven't watched network evening news in a few years.

There was a Chicago-based afternoon radio show that did some news coverage and commentary and I would listen to that occasionally, but they changed the structure of the show from one with lots of talk and predictably spaced commercials, to less talk and near-constant commercials so I completely stopped listening.

Elizabeth (NeedMoreShelves) | 10 comments NPR and PBS mostly - my grandpa got me hooked on John McLaughlin and I can't give him up.

I also listen to Rachel Maddow's podcast whenever possible, and try to catch Anderson Cooper now and then - love the Silver Fox keeping them honest! =)

Cheri | 794 comments RADIO: NPR on KCBX, Democracy Now with Amy Goodman, The le Show with Harry Sheer. And local hometown radio-40 miles away- to see what is happening locally.

TV: PBS, BBCA, Current TV, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Cobert Report with Stephen Cobert. (Local TV news is total sh--).

Podcasts: Freakanomics, Planet Money, This American Life, Radio Lab, It's all Politics, Sci-Fri, History of the World in 100 Objects, the Stuff you Missed series, and lots of BBC Radio 4.

NEWSPAPER: The LA Times, The Tribune (our local county newspaper), Atasacadero News (our local town paper - 20 miles away) to see who has been arrested and the high school football scores.

Online: The Onion News, The (London) Times & The Guardian (husband is British and must keep up with the Motherland). And whatever pops up.

Magazines: The New Yorker and Backyard Poultry.
Not much to do out in the county.

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments ZITE

Cynthia | 6731 comments Once again, LG revives a four year old thread.

And King Dinosaur is gone.

I read three papers on Sunday--Ames Tribune, Des Moines Register and New York Times. I am a dinosaur. Old school newspaper journalism degree from ISU.

evie (ecie) | 3784 comments The Sydney Morning Herald .

Charlotte Creech | 100 comments NPR on the radio, Time magazine on my Nook, NPR and TMZ on Twitter.

I have to get my daily doses of celeb crap to keep me sane!

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments We need to move this to "helping you know the news."

Amelia Mostly from my husband. It has become my ritual to go out and sit on the porch as soon as I get home (I have waited all day for a smoke...my effort to cut back) and he regales me with the latest drama in the middle east, Obama trauma (he's not keen on the pres) and general headline low down. I finally told him that I couldn't take all the negativity first thing, he was harshing my long awaited nicotine buzz. So, he now has to find a GOOD thing to tell me about before he is allowed to bemoan the state of the world.

Susan | 6395 comments No gnews is good gnews.

Phil | 11390 comments The one on the left is Michael. The one on the right is Clyde.

Hey, just helping you to know the gnus.

Félix (habitseven) | 23973 comments I gnu them before they were gnus-worthy.

Susan | 6395 comments Gary Gnu

Chris (bibliophile85) I watch CNN, usually Anderson Cooper 360 and I'll watch the local news in the evening. The rest I read about online.

Laurin (LaurinLooLoo) | 1623 comments I read sites like MLive for local news. I read Reddit and yahoo. I watch the nightly news with Diane Sawyer, as well as the local ABC affiliate's local news program.

Gail | 1391 comments I get my news here! I know this is a trustworthy news site!

Cynthia | 6731 comments Hmmm.

Aliyah | 367 comments Aljazeera News (to keep me informed about international affairs). The radio, (so that I know whats going on locally). Don't like reading newspapers and watching SA news. SA newspapers and news are filled with sensationalist hogwash.

unread topics | mark unread